DHS CARS LAND

WDW1974

Step outside of WDWmagic for a minute.. imagine meeting some casual aquaitances in a social setting. Imagine you told them about your recent journey to the land of one of the world's oldest civilizations... rich in history and culture.. do you think they will ask 'But did you goto that slice of America there in Toyko called Disneyland?'

My point would be so what? I have many pompous folks in my life that might say such drivel, but they aren't my friends because my friends respect my tastes and my love for theme parks and Disney. It's a pretty ignorant statement to make no matter how they would put it because I could say that there is plenty of culture and history in central FL that many of the WDW rubes (just for you!:)) would never visit ... from Cape Canaveral -- you know where we launched men to the moon when as a nation we actually did great things instead of create FB and make a celebrity out of Snooki -- to St. Augustine to many other places that don't get a page in any official or unofficial guidebooks to theme parks.

I loved my 11 days in Tokyo and I appreciated them so much because it took me until I was out of my 30s to get there. But I wouldn't trade my 4 1/2 days at TDR for anything because I am a huge Disney fan and well aware of what kind of delights were in store for me. I expected to be blown away, but was literally shocked at how true the tales are ... and I was so in awe that I totally missed a 6.9 earthquake off the coast of Tokyo Bay while in a queue for JTTCoTE.

That little slice of America also speaks volumes about both our culture and theirs, but I'd hate to get into a discussion on why many Americans don't deserve any better than what they get, and I doubt you would either.

WDW1974

My eyes roll so far when Hong Kong and Shanghai are mentioned they need a GPS to find their way back. I am fortunate that I travel often so I make it to both DLR and WDW. WDW is my "home park". I grew up in Florida. My parents had me at the Magic Kingdom on opening day in 1971. I was also at opening day for EPCOT Center and Disney-MGM Studios. I missed Animal Kingdoms opening because my work had me in Alabama working disaster centers for an F5 tornado earlier in the month. I feel for WDW the way someone who grew up in SoCal with Disneyland feels. I felt sorry for DLR in 2001. I feel sorry for WDW now. I want it to get some of the real love it needs. I hope it gets it and it is not just a copy of something else.

Oh, I was also one of the few unfortunate people who actually rode Superstar Limo. That was a true low point for the Disney company!

You and I really got to get together at some point (may have time in LA on the 14th, not sure) as I also was at the openings of EC and Disney-MGM (and DCA) and also missed DAK's due to work, although I had a private tour of the place pre-opening by a celebrity Imagineer!:cool:

And my feelings mirror yours on the other points as well.

WDW1974

I fly from JFK to LAX for about the same I fly Southwest to Orlando, maybe a little more, but nothing exorbitant. Just have to keep watching. Virgin America is the one I keep coming back to.

And with the bus transportation in WDW, I would rather rent a car anyway than deal with that mess again.

If someone asked me, I would definitely recommend CA over FL. The only thing that might be a deal breaker to some people is the flight time. That's still something that can't be changed. But I know for us, we always prefer DL over WDW.

Just my .02 though. :)

YoYo, I keep spouting the same ... and I keep hearing the same responses. Some folks have legit reasons, but most I am convinced just are addicted to WDW and afraid of California in general and LA in particular.

I'm tired of hearing them then add how much they'd love to see Walt's original park and will get there 'some day' ... sure some day ... you mean after the 9/12 (10 nights at BC with free dining) trip ... and after the 11/12 (5 nights at SS in a studio plus MVMCP tix) trip ... and after the 1/13 (7 nights at the WL to run the half marathon and see whatever parts of fantasyland weren't open in November) trip ... and after the 4/13 (7 nights at AoA in a Cars suite to celebrate Spring Break and see Flower and Garden) trip and ...

It's all a bunch of fetid manure being hurled around here. Most (not all) these people are spending the equivalent to small fortunes to visit WDW over and over and over and over and over and ... and they just can not logistically make DL work? Maybe I should open a Spirited travel agency and help, but Rule No. 1 is kick the G-damn Pixie Dust addiction.

WDW1974

No, but I tell them about DisneySea and they get very excited...no disappointment yet from people who I've mentioned it to and have gone there.

Its not about a slice of America, its about the fact that there's an incredible theme park so immersive you really feel like you're in another place entirely. Yes, I LOVE Tokyo and all of its wonders as well, which is why I'd love to move there, but taking a day out to visit DisneySea is well worth it IMO

I don't think you have to defend it.

I mean, no one here (except my ornery self) seems to push the WDW lifers on their addictions and, guess what? If you hadn't visited WDW in say the last 6-7 years, what would you have really missed? new timeshares don't count ... luxury home developments that none (OK, I'll just assume 99% to be safe) of you can afford don't count ... so really, what would you have missed?

WDW1974

Point being.. there are far bigger things in life than Disney. When I get time in Paris.. France and Paris are on my mind.. not Mickey Mouse.

Yet, one might question the amount of time you spend on a Disney fan forum instead of engaging in more productive pursuits, no?

I love Paris. One of my favorite places on Earth. Yet, I've never visited and not gone to DLP because I also love great theme parks ... and if I can waste time at the boring, stale and tired WDW parks, then I can spend time at parks that offer something a little different.

I get accused here of being an elitist, among other things left and right (and I plead guilty to that one), but it seems very elitist to sit on some throne and tell folks who are able to visit Paris regularly that they should skip Mickey's place in the old beet fields (and I'm sure it would hurt Eddie Sotto's feelings if he ever read another thread here). Honestly, you sound like the faux intellectuals I always meet who look down their noses at anything pop culture and feel TV, especially network, is a total wasteland. They usually talk about how they have a TV, but only use it for a movie now and then. Or they'll bring out the 'we read books' line as if folks who watch TV can't also do so. I find it very amusing ... it's always good for laughs when I'm at some Emmy Party that they'd kill to be invited to drinking some very high end booze (not the stuff Disney serves on junkets) while talking with some of the most talented writers, producers, directors and just plain thinkers I have ever met.

But yeah, as I sit here with my DLP AP within view, I think that if only I could have seen the Mona Lisa one more time (HINT TO RUBES: she's more impressive in most coffee table books) that I still wouldn't be impressed.

Now, Notre Dame I could sit in or walk in for hours, but that's because I'm looking for the showtune singing gargoyles!

ZaneB

You think Avatar appeals to a wider aged audience than Cars does? I disagree

I didn't mention audience, did I? In fact, I never even stated why I thought Avatar made more sense. How about you read the post a bit more thoroughly before you start disagreeing mate.

WDW1974

Corporate Disney reassigned the person who was in charge of building Carsland to Orlando. She isnt there to enjoy the weather (trust me, FL in August vs S. CA is a bad trade off). It absolutely was a push from the top. Plus no way someone in Orlando has the authority to spend this kind of money. They can cut EMHs and cancel shows but not spend hundreds of millions.

Carsland fits the theme of DHS about as much as DCA. Part of route 66 runs through CA, but I always thought of Radiator Springs being more of an AZ thing. They never tell you in the movie, but McQueen says numerous times that he has to get out of Radiator Springs to go to CA for the Piston Cup race so I assumed its not in CA. I have driven on parts of route 66 through AZ that have "ghost towns" that were literally abandoned when the interstate was built just like the movie. I suppose the same thing exists in CA too. DHS has Pixar place and Cars was a Pixar movie so it fits.

You are thinking about this way more than anyone at TDB, TDO or WDI is.

Disney places things where it wants and makes them fit and a movie park you can stick anything in it. Why do you think TWDC was pushing so hard for the OLC to buy its concept for the Disney-MGM Studios Japan instead of what became TDS? Studio parks are easy to throw up and throw all sorts of content in under the conceit that it is all entertainment.

Why do you think UNI is throwing them up in Seoul, Dubai, Moscow and, possibly, Beijing?

The funny thing (or not) is that mish-mash even when done with the best theming (like in 1989-94 FL) just doesn't last and becomes a mess. Why do you think the Studios are looking at the second Extreme Makeover Theme Park Edition? Why do you think DSP has been constantly adding and changing things in its decade of operation?

WDW1974

Like a G&T...

I'm in the mood for an appletini or four ... but think I'll head to bed. Found out today that I'm working Friday-Sunday, so I better rest up ... and this thread is making me insane and longing for getting on the plane to LAX (even if the TSA dudes molest me first to protect us from the evildoers!):rolleyes: :eek::rolleyes:

I do want to give a shout out to Mr. Bulb ... I think this discussion of largely nothing has caused a few auto accidents and drove my thread (where I was being accused of all sorts of crimes, short of genocide) to a screetching halt ... I still haven't had a chance to ask TikiMan if he is insane for spending $2000 for four nights in September at the Poly on the DVC thread. I have a pile of PMs to answer. And I haven't even decided about moving my October 1st Spirited Meet, Greet and (for an EXTRA fee) Gropes to the Gallery in China since no one seems to ever go in there unless it's raining.

Cosmic Commando

They could make a dark ride that uses a different ride system, but still has the impressive Animatronics in an entirely indoor attraction. There are certainly advantages to this in Florida. However, anything less than the full mountain range is going to be seen as grossly inferior. It's why I'd love to see a new concept (or several new concepts find their way into DHS.

I'm also guessing there were other rides proposed for Carsland in DCA, does anyone know what they were?
A high capacity, no height requirement dark ride wouldn't get any complaints from me. The fanboys would kill them, but it's exactly what that park needs. If you had a Mansion-sized show building to hide, you would still need some rockwork, but maybe they could use more forced perspective if you're not going to be riding around through the actual mountains.

DisneyFan 2000

I loved my 11 days in Tokyo and I appreciated them so much because it took me until I was out of my 30s to get there. But I wouldn't trade my 4 1/2 days at TDR for anything because I am a huge Disney fan and well aware of what kind of delights were in store for me. I expected to be blown away, but was literally shocked at how true the tales are ... and I was so in awe that I totally missed a 6.9 earthquake off the coast of Tokyo Bay while in a queue for JTTCoTE.
Bingo! I spent 2 weeks in Japan this past May and the experience was terrific. So much to see and absorb, I'm sure I've only seen a fracture of what their country has to offer. And with that said I do not regret a single moment out of the 4 days I was at TDR. In my eyes it was just as important to experience first-hand what is claimed to be the best parks in the world, as a theme park fan and a Disney fan. Yes, there was much more of Japan to explore but to miss out on my greatest passion, and to not enjoy, what is considered the best value for such a passion, was in my eyes just as unacceptable as it was not seeing the Emperor's Palace or visit certain gardens and shrines. You can go the "superior" route and claim that it's wasting time seeing a park abroad when there's so much "culture" to see, I say why not enjoy both!

jt04

Posted the following in the Eddie Sotto thread and got no response at all......

You guys put a convincing volcano in the Mexican pavillion at Epcot. [whould love to hear some who what where when why and how background if you have any on that bit of magic] So perhaps that could be the angle they might attack RSR at DHS. Possibly a shorter indoor track able to better deal with Florida weather.

I think Pixar could fill a 5th gate by now. And I bet it has been discussed. But a collection of C, D and E tickets sitting side by side at DHS has a very strong appeal. Especially in the hands of Lasseter et al.

Could be I am getting warmer than monument valley because wdw74 also hinted at an attraction that was more dark ride than let's say, oh, Test Track for example.

~meep meep~

techee

A high capacity, no height requirement dark ride wouldn't get any complaints from me. The fanboys would kill them, but it's exactly what that park needs. If you had a Mansion-sized show building to hide, you would still need some rockwork, but maybe they could use more forced perspective if you're not going to be riding around through the actual mountains.

That's exactly what I think too. Its absolutely necessary to put something like that in the park. That's why I suggested a Monsters Inc. Ride.

alphac2005

Could be I am getting warmer than monument valley because wdw74 also hinted at an attraction that was more dark ride than let's say, oh, Test Track for example.

~meep meep~

Since this topic started, the idea of RSR seems to not work in Orlando. I lived there for several years and with the daily rainstorms, you're talking about a lot of downtime and with more outside track than Test Track, it seems impractical in many ways. Now, you put a lot of it inside, you've got it covered. We'll see.

jt04

They could make a dark ride that uses a different ride system, but still has the impressive Animatronics in an entirely indoor attraction. There are certainly advantages to this in Florida. However, anything less than the full mountain range is going to be seen as grossly inferior. It's why I'd love to see a new concept (or several new concepts find their way into DHS.

I'm also guessing there were other rides proposed for Carsland in DCA, does anyone know what they were?

I agree with this essentially. And those that would complain that Disney would not duplicate the infrastructure at DCA are grossly inferior in their thinking. Some of them know very well it will never happen and by doing so are setting Disney up to 'fail' when they announce we are not getting an exact clone. So childish honestly.

But as I said, if they could put a convincing volcano in the Mexico pavilion, they could certainly do the same for a monument valley type setting.

And here is the clincher in my mind. One of the things that people rave about RSR is the atmosphere and aesthetics of RSR at night. An indoor version of RSR would allow for it to always be evening in the desert. Magical.

~howl at the moon~

devoy1701

YoYo, I keep spouting the same ... and I keep hearing the same responses. Some folks have legit reasons, but most I am convinced just are addicted to WDW and afraid of California in general and LA in particular.

I'm tired of hearing them then add how much they'd love to see Walt's original park and will get there 'some day' ... sure some day ... you mean after the 9/12 (10 nights at BC with free dining) trip ... and after the 11/12 (5 nights at SS in a studio plus MVMCP tix) trip ... and after the 1/13 (7 nights at the WL to run the half marathon and see whatever parts of fantasyland weren't open in November) trip ... and after the 4/13 (7 nights at AoA in a Cars suite to celebrate Spring Break and see Flower and Garden) trip and ...

It's all a bunch of fetid manure being hurled around here. Most (not all) these people are spending the equivalent to small fortunes to visit WDW over and over and over and over and over and ... and they just can not logistically make DL work? Maybe I should open a Spirited travel agency and help, but Rule No. 1 is kick the G-damn Pixie Dust addiction.

I hear you, I hear you. It's absurd that people do exactly what you say...if you can find the time and money to get the family down to WDW for a week, you can make DL work as well. We managed to do it in our early 20s, pretty early into our Disney fandom, we're hoping to hit Paris or Tokyo before we hit 30! Anyone can come up with 1,000 legitimate excuses of why something doesn't make sense or why it should be put off, but they're just excuses. If you can afford it, or save for it, pull the tirgger already. We've also acknowledged that there is room for other NON Disney trips in between visiting the Disney Parks...places that you absolutely should make time and effort to see! This world is MUCH bigger than just Walt Disney World.

Fraisie

My very humble opinion:

Bring Carsland to WDW. So what if it's a clone of DCA's.

I've always been crazy about WDW's POTC, but when I planed my first trip to DL, I was just as excited to see what POTC was like over there, same with DLP POTC. Having the same attraction or land in multiple Disney resorts won't stop me from visiting them.

Anyway, DHS really needs something big. Carsland would be a huge success over there.

Buried20KLeague

No, but I tell them about DisneySea and they get very excited...no disappointment yet from people who I've mentioned it to and have gone there.

Its not about a slice of America, its about the fact that there's an incredible theme park so immersive you really feel like you're in another place entirely. Yes, I LOVE Tokyo and all of its wonders as well, which is why I'd love to move there, but taking a day out to visit DisneySea is well worth it IMO

Absolutely DEAD ON post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom