DHS CARS LAND

twebber55

From my understanding based on what they have said in this thread, and it makes logical sense ... that it's not dead, per se, but TDO would rather divert the funds earmarked for that to go with a proven winner like Carsland.
i understand what you re saying so dont take this as me being coy...but it seems they could do both...the boys down the street ( i like to refer to them as Disneys little brother thats growing up)have multiple projects going on seem to be making it ok..like i say i get what you re saying

spacemt354

Chili's
The problem is that Avatar 2 and 3 have apparently come to a screeching halt. And it's already been 3 years since Avatar 1 was last relavent. I think shelved is an accurate description for this project at this point, because the lull for Avatar could be another 5 years for all we know. Shelved and the suits are looking for ways to divert the funds, which is actually a new concept for TDO to reappropriate funds. But I would give credit to that move to Corporate.

Not to continue a thread drift, but I haven't heard anything that suggests it's been shelved. The sequals are kinda irrelevant because there have been plenty of Disney movies that they have made attractions for, where the sequals have been either postponed/canceled, and the original film was made several years beforehand.

If/when an Avatar sequal comes out it will be around 2015 from what I read. Pandora wouldn't be completed anyway till 2015/2016 maybe even 2017 at the rate wdw does construction. So it would be around the same time-frame just as Cars 2 came out the year before Carsland was completed.

RSoxNo1

I don't think you have to defend it.

I mean, no one here (except my ornery self) seems to push the WDW lifers on their addictions and, guess what? If you hadn't visited WDW in say the last 6-7 years, what would you have really missed? new timeshares don't count ... luxury home developments that none (OK, I'll just assume 99% to be safe) of you can afford don't count ... so really, what would you have missed?
The new stage in Tomorrowland?

I agree with this essentially. And those that would complain that Disney would not duplicate the infrastructure at DCA are grossly inferior in their thinking. Some of them know very well it will never happen and by doing so are setting Disney up to 'fail' when they announce we are not getting an exact clone. So childish honestly.

But as I said, if they could put a convincing volcano in the Mexico pavilion, they could certainly do the same for a monument valley type setting.

And here is the clincher in my mind. One of the things that people rave about RSR is the atmosphere and aesthetics of RSR at night. An indoor version of RSR would allow for it to always be evening in the desert. Magical.

~howl at the moon~

RSR is superior at night IMO, but much of the allure is the glow of the neon, the shadows within the rock work, and the general outdoor feel in the evening. Would be interesting to see how this could be implemented indoors.

JungleTrekFan

Not to continue a thread drift, but I haven't heard anything that suggests it's been shelved. The sequals are kinda irrelevant because there have been plenty of Disney movies that they have made attractions for, where the sequals have been either postponed/canceled, and the original film was made several years beforehand.

I don’t know why people think Avatar is shelved either, as its suppose to start moving land the end of this year (if i remember correctly) and with a new M&G space being made on Discovery island and FotLK closing in Decemeber, it sure looks like that area will be getting some major work done.

But back on topic, someone mentioned maybe a redesign using Cars 2, which would look very nice with the Streets of America sets, Not that i wouldn’t love radiator springs and the huge canyon, but I’m a little concerned about hurricane safety and making the back of the mountain range not as ugly as DCA’s, since it will be on property and seen from World Drive and the south entrance to HS.

cookiee_munster

some interesting discussion going on. it certainly has livered up the board. lol. ive managed about 5 pages of the 30+ pages for this thread. so forgive me if im just repeating what others are saying.

i kind of hope that this will now shelve avatar land. maybe even halt it for good. it wasn't a good franchise to go with, especially for somewhere like animal kingdom.

not a huge fan of the films, but ive been totally blown away by what has been produced for cars land. simply spectacular, so hopefully this'll add a lot more interest to the studio's. someone mentioned earlier about the mishmash theme of holywood studio's. maybe. just maybe its going to receive the same treatment as California adventure???

another thing to mention. now were getting an attraction pretty much exactly like test track. can we now have an indiana jones ride please? :p

tomman710

i understand what you re saying so dont take this as me being coy...but it seems they could do both...the boys down the street ( i like to refer to them as Disneys little brother thats growing up)have multiple projects going on seem to be making it ok..like i say i get what you re saying

See my follow up post after that one but basically these are not my thoughts or wishes ... I was just summing up what had been alluded to by others.

For the record, yes they should be able to do both ... didn't the build EPCOT in like 2-3 years?

alphac2005

I'm the father of the naturally best behaved boy you'll ever meet. Plus I run a tight ship. That whole temper tantrum nonsense on a plane wouldn't fly even if he did try. He's never given us problems while flying. He'll fly out to Disneyland and like it! :p

Sometimes, it's not so easy. Our twins (now 9) were as passive, quiet, and well behaved as any small children you'll find. Their little brother, who is two and a half, is quite the explorer, non-stop talking, and there is no way in the world we could get him to sit through a five hour flight to L.A. With him, it's not a temper tantrum, rather just being curious about everything and not wanting to sit in that manner. We can swing a car ride to WDW pretty well from ATL to ORL.

Our ship is run tight, as well, but as we've learned, you can handle the situation the same way and have totally different results with different kids. In some ways, the twins were much easier when they were little than this little dude, but he's fun!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You are thinking about this way more than anyone at TDB, TDO or WDI is.

Disney places things where it wants and makes them fit and a movie park you can stick anything in it. Why do you think TWDC was pushing so hard for the OLC to buy its concept for the Disney-MGM Studios Japan instead of what became TDS? Studio parks are easy to throw up and throw all sorts of content in under the conceit that it is all entertainment.

Why do you think UNI is throwing them up in Seoul, Dubai, Moscow and, possibly, Beijing?

The funny thing (or not) is that mish-mash even when done with the best theming (like in 1989-94 FL) just doesn't last and becomes a mess. Why do you think the Studios are looking at the second Extreme Makeover Theme Park Edition? Why do you think DSP has been constantly adding and changing things in its decade of operation?
I agree with you. I was replying to the other poster who was claiming that Carsland fits better in DCA since Radiator Springs is in CA. I was just pointing out that it's really probably set in AZ. At the end of the day they can come up with a backstory to make anything fit anywhere. Avatarland at DAK? Since Cars is a Pixar movie it fits in Pixar Place.

Skibum1970

In the Blue Sky Cellar at DCA, I saw pictures of different models of RSR that were based upon different ideas. It would be awesome if they would utilize a different version or just vary things somewhat to give two different rides. Yeah, I know, Little Mermaid is a duplicate but they have a chance here to try something different. Either way, I'll be overjoyed if it comes to DHS as that would save me having to pop for the trip to Anaheim. I would love to visit DL and DCA but have no interest in being around Anaheim or LA. Love the woods surrounding WDW too much.

Yeah, I'm glad someone else said it. Sorry, but Florida is not Hollywood, not any other state for that matter. From what I hear, Disney had a decent attempt with the Hollywood filmmaking in Florida at first but when it come down to it, it just doesn't work as well.
It worked for a while. Both Disney and Universal created the parks in Florida with intent of being real working studios. Both had many years of success and both opened with studio tours. Universal's closed way early in 1995. Slowly Universal Studios Florida lost most of it's production. They still do film some wrestling shows in a soundstage or two, but they lost mostly everything else (I'm still bitter about Nickelodeon :(). Disney had a very impressive tour up until 2003. The backlot tour would take you through facilities such as costuming (used both for films and attractions), a special effects scene called Catastrophe Canyon, and you would go down a street called Residential Street which had houses such as the one used in Golden Girls, and would drive down New York Street. Then they decided we needed Lights, Motors, Action and chopped the tour in half into the sad state it's in now. Wait no, about two years ago they made it even sadder by removing the live tour guide with a recorded spiel. And here we are almost 10 years later with Lights, Motors, Action teetering on the chopping block and a sad, sad little backlot tour.

Rant. Ended. :mad:

I miss DHS being a real working studio...I may be the only one though.
Same here. Especially the animation studio. Some real beauties were created there (Mulan, Brother Bear, and Lilo & Stitch to name a few).

Californian Elitist

It worked for a while. Both Disney and Universal created the parks in Florida with intent of being real working studios. Both had many years of success and both opened with studio tours. Universal's closed way early in 1995. Slowly Universal Studios Florida lost most of it's production. They still do film some wrestling shows in a soundstage or two, but they lost mostly everything else (I'm still bitter about Nickelodeon :(). Disney had a very impressive tour up until 2003. The backlot tour would take you through facilities such as costuming (used both for films and attractions), a special effects scene called Catastrophe Canyon, and you would go down a street called Residential Street which had houses such as the one used in Golden Girls, and would drive down New York Street. Then they decided we needed Lights, Motors, Action and chopped the tour in half into the sad state it's in now. Wait no, about two years ago they made it even sadder by removing the live tour guide with a recorded spiel. And here we are almost 10 years later with Lights, Motors, Action teetering on the chopping block and a sad, sad little backlot tour.

Rant. Ended. :mad:

Sad.:( The earlier version of the tour sounds a lot more interesting than the current one. Still, it doesn't sound anything like the California studios. At least they tried, I guess.

El Grupo

They can't construct both Carsland and Avatar at the same time? What would Avatar cost maybe 400-500 million and Carsland 300 million approx? That's an 800 million investment over 4-5 years compared to the DCA 1.7 billion dollar expansion over 5 years. Maybe that is asking too much though for the same organization that takes 2 years to build a kiddie coaster...

I'm not a fan of Avatar at AK, but I definitely agree with your overall point.

It has been mentioned before, but bears repeating. Due to the size and multiple needs at all four theme parks, as well as DTD, TWDC should be investing $5+ billion in Orlando over the next 9 years in refurb, maintenance and additions/expansions. This type of commitment would hopefully return the WDWR to the level it should be as they approach the 50th anniversary celebration.

Jason&Leigh

I am no engineer or surveyor but from the satelite images on Google Maps, a Carsland at DHS would take up more space than that space currently occupied by Lights, Motor, Action. If the size of Carsland DHS ends up being the same size as Carsland at DCA, it will take up the entire back corner of DHS including Lights, Motor, Action, and parts of the tour route.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom