DHS CARS LAND

Beholder

Even though I wasn't 100% sold on the clone idea, I must admit this is all pretty exciting. This is something that has been LONG overdue. I can see this really putting DHS in the spotlight and shedding the half day label. If they build a full Carsland and/or different Pixar attractions to help round out things, then I'm thinking it's going to be MK then DHS as the #1 & #2 parks.

And move/get rid of the hat.

The Empress Lilly

Avatar in DAK and Cars in DHS turns WDW into some sort of Universal. That is, parks based on a loose collection of random IP franchises.

With four parks, WDW has the incredible luxury of giving each park its own identity. The Studios are at their best when they are a studio - real or imaginary. And DAK where it is a theme park based on atmosphere, immersion, slow pace. This is why WDW is an emotionally more powerful experience than Universal - despite everything at Uni being bigger, better and newer.

One does not go to Disney for the quality of the rides, but for the emotional connection with the parks. For their identity, their placemaking, their escapism. Random placement of losely fitting (SF plants? To DAK. SF aliens? To TL. Pixar toons? Wherever there's an empty plot) franchises diminishes the strenght of the parks, instead of strengthening it.

Ignohippo

Avatar in DAK and Cars in DHS turns WDW into some sort of Universal. That is, parks based on a loose collection of random IP franchises.

With four parks, WDW has the incredible luxury of giving each park its own identity. The Studios are at their best when they are a studio - real or imaginary. And DAK where it is a theme park based on atmosphere, immersion, slow pace. This is why WDW is an emotionally more powerful experience than Universal - despite everything at Uni being bigger, better and newer.

One does not go to Disney for the quality of the rides, but for the emotional connection with the parks. For their identity, their placemaking, their escapism. Random placement of losely fitting (SF plants? To DAK. SF aliens? To TL. Pixar toons? Wherever there's an empty plot) franchises diminishes the strenght of the parks, instead of strengthening it.

I would very respectfully disagree. Does Peter Pan diminish the MK? Cinderella? Pixar is to DHS what the classic WDA characters are to the MK.

I do agree though that Disney needs to do a better job of figuring out which parks have which franchises. That doesn't mean there can't be a bit of overlap, but it would be nice if they were a bit more specific. As an example, I think TDO would agree that Buzz Lightyear's Ranger Spin would fit in much better now at DHS than it does in Tomorrowland at MK, the Beauty and TLM show at DHS would fit in much better at MK. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

As for Avatar, it isn't a Disney property and it's a stretch to get it to fit thematically within the AK. That's one I would absolutely agree with you about. IMO, it would fit in at DHS.

CinematicFusion

So as of right now....Carsland is green lit?

Indiana Jones and Monsters Coaster was discussed but won't happen until sometime after CarsLand is built?

Is this where the rumors stand right now?

RSoxNo1

Indiana Jones and Monsters Coaster was discussed but won't happen until sometime after CarsLand is built?

This is my understanding, although it sounds like with Indiana Jones that while the Epic Stunt Spectacular is likely going away, it's replacement is unclear. You also have to consider that no long term plan for Disney has ever materialized in the same way as originally forecasted.

While I trust the information that Carsland has been greenlit, the further out the time frame of everything else is pushed, the less likely they are to happen.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

The best I can find...

Carsland is NOT greenlit. But it is very close. And probably will happen.
The Coaster should be part of the project too, but is not yet Green.
Indy EMV is a no go. The stunt show is staying.

Luigi

I am just excited by this. I will be seeing the DCA version next month and I think it will be an amazing addition to WDW.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

DHS seems to be straying away from the "studio" theme. If LMA and Backlot go away that's another big step in that direction, and if Indy goes, that's yet another step. I disagree with "One does not go to Disney for the quality of the rides". The rides aren't the only reason I go, but they are important since they provide experiences that are hard to find anywhere else. People have always expected innovative and ride experiences from Disney.

As for Avatar not fitting in DAK here is the dedication message for DAK:

"Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn."

Avatar is a movie set in a beautiful, lush imaginary natural world, and it's primary theme is living in harmony and balance with nature, and preservation of the natural world. Seems to be a perfect fit to me.

GLaDOS

The best I can find...

Carsland is NOT greenlit. But it is very close. And probably will happen.
The Coaster should be part of the project too, but is not yet Green.
Indy EMV is a no go. The stunt show is staying.

Sounds great, save for no Indy. But hey, at this point I'm not going to cry over a plan like that.

Where do we stand on the rest of the studios getting a refreshed theming package along with the additions?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sounds great, save for no Indy. But hey, at this point I'm not going to cry over a plan like that.

Where do we stand on the rest of the studios getting a refreshed theming package along with the additions?
Hopefully it'll come with any expansion. DHS suits have known for a few years now it needs it.

PurpleRose

That's likely a no-brainer.

Adding Carsland would be the coup de grace for the entire "studio" theme. They may as well just go ahead and rename the park to Disney's Hollywood Adventure.

I would miss the "studio" concept but that's been muddy the last few years anyway. I would be fine with Disney's Hollywood Aventure.

GLaDOS

Adding Carsland would be the coup de grace for the entire "studio" theme. They may as well just go ahead and rename the park to Disney's Hollywood Adventure.

Eh. I dunno about that. Universal Studios Florida is far, far from a "studio" park. Only a handful of the attractions deal with "making movies".

If DHS transitioned to more of a "ride the movies" type of park I think the name would be fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom