DHS CARS LAND

AEfx

This. Of Disney park, DHS does not need more thrill rides. Don't get me wrong: it would be totally cool if they added more such rides, but it is not a park that needs them. Where is it really lacking is family/all inclusive rides.

What it needs are the kind of dark rides Disney simply doesn't build any more.

The fabled Muppet Movie Ride (I'm sorry, we can debate the relevance of the Muppets till we are blue in the face, but facts are those puppets would be VERY at home in a dark ride - they already are puppets, we know what they look like three dimensionally, and it would be like "living" versions of them - something most dark rides based on animated properties have to fight with), or more Star Wars - a slower dark ride that takes you into scenes like the Escape from Death Star, or to Jabba's Palace. I can think of some amazingly awesome things that would impress more than just fans of those franchises.

That's what Potter did. Even people that only mildly like, or may not really care about Potter in general at all, give the ride raves. It's an amazing ride. The studios could do that - but they don't. They will just keep adding lame "parade/party" type "shows", cutting corners elsewhere, and building C-ticket rides like TSMM.

They really could take people INTO the movies, and wow them - but they are so heck bent on "interactive" nonsense and keeping things like the "Backlot tour" alive that as much as it pains me, I don't think we will ever see it - that's what Universal does now.

michmousefan

I'm not so sure I agree with this. I mean, if all Disney needed was thrill rides, they could do some off the shelf roller coasters with multiple inversions and such. Stuff like TFJ draw crowds because their immersion, not the thrill level (same goes with RSR FWIW). In fact, I think one of the reasons why Disney up the popularity it did was by avoiding such rides by and large and going more for rides that appealed to wide ranges of folks.

I think what would help Disney the most would be the next Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Caribbean -- something immersible and memorable and repeatable but that everyone can enjoy. It is tough, however, to do that with just a ride and that's why you see such focus on theming of lands where everyone can get some enjoyment of visiting an imagined place. And the rides are compliments to that.

Epcot is one of the most visited theme parks in the world and has little in the way of thrill rides (even the ones they have added in M:S and TT are pretty mild). I think that reflect a certain theme park niche that Disney fills and does so very successfully.

I guess I was narrowing the description a bit too much when I said "thrill rides." What I really meant was "E-ticket rides that thrill." Of course, a 100mph rollercoaster can deliver a thrill, but so can an exciting dark ride that pushes the boundary of what we traditionally think of as a great ride. Things that make you say "wow, how did they do that?" and "We HAVE to do that again" immediately after the ride. It's been a long time since TDO delivered an E-ticket that completely thrilled... but we know they can do it, and so we look for it, and feel bad when the other guys up I-4 have success with those types of attractions.

I think that's why some of us are a little bit underwhelmed by the aspect of a RSR/Cars Land addition to the studios... it's already been done, and while it would be cool and a lot of fun, what we really want to see is something new, unique and envelope-stretching... and that's why the Avatar stuff still might be a huge win for TDO if they execute it with enough lavish budget to make people gasp and swoon a bit. If Rhode is involved I remain optimistic.

I think most of the folks on here would love to be doing some serious gasping and swooning... right?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What it needs are the kind of dark rides Disney simply doesn't build any more.

The fabled Muppet Movie Ride (I'm sorry, we can debate the relevance of the Muppets till we are blue in the face, but facts are those puppets would be VERY at home in a dark ride - they already are puppets, we know what they look like three dimensionally, and it would be like "living" versions of them - something most dark rides based on animated properties have to fight with), or more Star Wars - a slower dark ride that takes you into scenes like the Escape from Death Star, or to Jabba's Palace. I can think of some amazingly awesome things that would impress more than just fans of those franchises.

That's what Potter did. Even people that only mildly like, or may not really care about Potter in general at all, give the ride raves. It's an amazing ride. The studios could do that - but they don't. They will just keep adding lame "parade/party" type "shows", cutting corners elsewhere, and building C-ticket rides like TSMM.

They really could take people INTO the movies, and wow them - but they are so heck bent on "interactive" nonsense and keeping things like the "Backlot tour" alive that as much as it pains me, I don't think we will ever see it - that's what Universal does now.
Yes, yes, yes. Muppets dark ride. Forget cars land. They should use the space for a whole land themed to the muppets. They already have the 3D show right there. Adding a Muppets dark ride and some additional C or D ticket rides. Maybe the Swedish Chef could have a restaurant too with live entertainment from the muppets band (think Cosmic Rays with Muppets that doesn't suck).

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
This would only make the park more of a hodge podge as it doesn't fit the theme at all (and neither does TSM while we're on the subject). Honestly the world of Cars isn't even that exciting or one that I would want to step into, its just the real world... with talking cars... Besides there's already a full fledged version in CA so its weird to me that people would be excited for this yet rage over Avatarland. Can we get back to making the park about movie magic and Hollywood?

I think some people, myself included, are just excited to get something (anything!) new at DHS.
Prince Caspian redux just ain't gonna cut it.
LMA has little repeatability. The removal of Sounds Dangerous is addition by subtraction. Americal Idol (the tv show) seems to be on its last legs, so the AIE can't be that far behind. And the Backlot Tour is a shadow of its former self.
The advantage of a cloned ride is that a lot of time is lopped off the front end, and construction can begin right from the time the project is green-lit.
Epcot needs some love, but DHS just needs more to do. Period.

jt04

This. Of Disney park, DHS does not need more thrill rides. Don't get me wrong: it would be totally cool if they added more such rides, but it is not a park that needs them. Where is it really lacking is family/all inclusive rides.

Couldn't disagree more. Disney needs one of the parks to be the 'cool' place to be for families with teens and young adults. That does not mean it should not have content that appeals to younger families as it already does. However Disney has an opportunity at WDW not possible anywhere else and that is the ability to skew the parks to different demos. That is a great creative and marketing opportunity. That is why a modified Carsland with a racing element (thrill) is perfect for DHS. Then add a couple flat rides and nicer m&g's and you have something highly marketable. It should be more like IoA rather than an annex of the MK.

This is the park that would be perfect to stay open later for older skewing crowds also. Plenty of ways this park can be given a unique identity that is not a copy of the others with different theming.

Time for some more creative and visionary thinking.

jt04

Couldn't disagree more. Disney needs one of the parks to be the 'cool' place to be for families with teens and young adults. That does not mean it should not have content that appeals to younger families as it already does. However Disney has an opportunity at WDW not possible anywhere else and that is the ability to skew the parks to different demos. That is a great creative and marketing opportunity. That is why a modified Carsland with a racing element (thrill) is perfect for DHS. Then add a couple flat rides and nicer m&g's and you have something highly marketable. It should be more like IoA rather than an annex of the MK.

This is the park that would be perfect to stay open later for older skewing crowds also. Plenty of ways this park can be given a unique identity that is not a copy of the others with different theming.

Forgot to add that the park could also function as Pleasure Island-lite every evening since we know PI is not returning.

JenniferS

Premium Member
According to Wikipedia, the release date for "The Untitled Pixar Movie that Takes You Inside the Mind" is June 19, 2015

So that's what, a minimum of 5 years before JIYI gets some attention. 3 years until the movie's release date; a few months to assess if it is a hit or a miss; a year to design; and 6-9 months to refurb?
Sorry, not good enough.

jt04

So that's what, a minimum of 5 years before JIYI gets some attention. 3 years until the movie's release date; a few months to assess if it is a hit or a miss; a year to design; and 6-9 months to refurb?
Sorry, not good enough.

Is for me as long as they get it right.

JenniferS

Premium Member
I know I love mania I just can't beat my dad though but I whoop him at space ranger blasters

Totally opposite for me. I usually double hubby's TSMM score, while at Buzz, he hands me by behind on a platter. I can never figure out which of those darn red laser beams is actually mine. Plus, I am never in control of the spin gearstick thingy.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I would really like to see DHS get a night-time party like Electronica and Mad Tea Party at DCA, that would fit in nice with this idea.

JenniferS

Premium Member
For what it's worth, this comes from the owner of the EasyWDW Blog. If you know him or his blog, he's not the type to spread bus driver rumors and he does have at least some connections. Anyway, i think both parts of this post are interesting:

"There’s a lot of chatter about Cars Land coming to Hollywood Studios. To quote the highest level source that this website has access to, there’s a “zero percent chance of that happening.” But I hate rumors. My personal opinion is that Cars Land should stay exclusive to the West Coast. What I want to see is Mickey Mouse Land, where Disney would follow the various forms of Mickey from his creation in 1928 to what we have today. I haven’t put a lot of thought into this, but I would love to see a Steamboat Willie water ride that’s completely in black and white. It would also help introduce a new generation of kids to the principal Disney characters. Mickey and the gang have so much history that seems to be missing from the Parks. "

Not to impugn Josh - I love him and read him every day for my daily quota of snark - but I'm not sure how well connected he is. He is the first to admit that he is never invited to any of the media or blog events.
His site, however, is number one for park calendars and touring strategies.

JenniferS

Premium Member
Obviously this is a false rumor as all expansion plans for DHS have been confirmed - new seats in Fantasmic. This will clean up all needs at DHS until at least 2020.

Only if it also includes scrapping or relocating that giant hat!

Californian Elitist

Yes, if that was the centerpiece attraction of World of Avatar I would be sold. X2 is totally insane.

That would indeed be interesting. I've never ridden X2 and I can without a doubt say I never will. It scream death to me, I just can't do it. I've heard nothing but positive reviews about it, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom