DHS CARS LAND

Animaniac93-98

How long is the intended marketing program for Disneyland around Carsland/"New" DCA going to last, the one that tries to reach out to "non-traditional" potential DLR markets? Wouldn't it harm that campaign to thrown in new info about the other US Disney resort getting "the same" (from a cosumer perspective) addition?

dopeylover

This is what I did to picture it. I'm sure that the layout will be modified but there is plenty of space back there for expansion if they knock down garbage like LMA and the tour.

ihVIC.gif

If this is what they do, I will be thrilled! There was so little we could do with our little one at DHS, they need more family friendly rides there. Short of the Disney Junior show, I don't remember a whole lot more we did with her there. Also, I am so over the Backlot Tour. Once they got rid of all of the good stuff (Golden Girls house, actual sets, etc.) it has been an eyesore, boring, and not even worth my time when we go. It will be nice to have something family friendly that doesn't force me to try and get my kid to wear 3D glasses at DHS!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Except that the Cars films have reaped much more treasure than that Muppet movie did or any of their merchandising has. No way Iger would ever "forget" Cars land and go with a franchise that hasn't done all that much for the company and very likely never will (I read that Iger himself said that the Muppet movie DVD sales were disappointing, on a par with John Carter's. Not a good sign.)

But I'm not crazy about a Cars Land either, because I'd prefer that WDW came up with something original. How about a ride based on something truly Disney, like the Epic Mickey video game? Or maybe TDO could create an attraction NOT based on a pre-existing franchise. Maybe it could come up with another Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Caribbean. I really wish TDO would step up its game and not just clone DLR. That is so lazy and cheap of them IMO.

I know the muppets thing really is not very realistic. For a grown man, I probably like the muppets a little too much. I know that the muppets don't compare to Cars at the box office, but my favorite ride in all of WDW is themed after Song of the South. A movie that Probably did less at the box office than any of the muppet movies and is not even available on DVD.

Something original would be fine with me too. Really, I'd be cool with Carsland or even just start with RSR from Carsland as long as its something new (new to me anyway). I think as others have stated they need something big that will put DHS back on the map. Cars is the safest bet and probably the cheapest since its already designed.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I know the muppets thing really is not very realistic. For a grown man, I probably like the muppets a little too much. I know that the muppets don't compare to Cars at the box office, but my favorite ride in all of WDW is themed after Song of the South. A movie that Probably did less at the box office than any of the muppet movies and is not even available on DVD.

Something original would be fine with me too. Really, I'd be cool with Carsland or even just start with RSR from Carsland as long as its something new (new to me anyway). I think as others have stated they need something big that will put DHS back on the map. Cars is the safest bet and probably the cheapest since its already designed.
That is a common fallacy. There are MANY attractions that are already designed and just waiting for a green light. WDI has a whole library of attractions on the shelf.

Unplugged

If this is what they do, I will be thrilled! There was so little we could do with our little one at DHS, they need more family friendly rides there. Short of the Disney Junior show, I don't remember a whole lot more we did with her there. Also, I am so over the Backlot Tour. Once they got rid of all of the good stuff (Golden Girls house, actual sets, etc.) it has been an eyesore, boring, and not even worth my time when we go. It will be nice to have something family friendly that doesn't force me to try and get my kid to wear 3D glasses at DHS!

Agreed. I used to love Studios, but even in our childless days, it was a 1/2 to 3/4 day park. With kids, it's a half day park. Any change would be good change and while I was on the fence about it, I welcome Carsland if it comes, but i note a few things in reading all these posts.
  • A majority of travelers to WDW are not travelers to DL. Simple fact as we need to weigh in travelers from abroad.
  • While so many posters complain about nothing original at WDW, I don't recall reading about B&B, Belle, and any other new features going in anywhere else.
  • Would I love something original? Sure! But with the costs of air travel and the much smaller size of DL, I along with many others are not flying to DL when we can get more bang for the buck at WDW, just like many are not flying to Japan or China to see some unique Disney attractions. It's a personal loss admittedly, but it simply isn't practical.
  • Simple business fact, the clones will increase the revenue at a lower cost and for the majority of visitors, will actually be equivalent to original attractions as they won't see the original. Just stating facts.
  • No matter what we think about cloning, it's a good business practice for revenue generation from the masses. After all, Disney is a business on the exchange, and that's what drives them.
  • Also, while the Google Earth image was done well, there is a lot more that would be redone then what is shown. The buildings used for the Pearl Harbor "set" would go or be re-purposed as well. Personally, I think accessing RSR from the Pixar area seems a more likely scenario as that would replace all the aged "Backlot" components.

doctornick

I think that the it's a good point in looking at the cost as you note. A clone of RSR would be cheaper to produce than a similarly interesting ride in all likelihood and would leave more money (in theory) for other attractions. Granted, that would require TDO spending more money on top of RSR or whatever they do, but I do think DHS needs multiple attractions, not putting all their resources towards one ride to revitalize the park.

Unplugged

That is a common fallacy. There are MANY attractions that are already designed and just waiting for a green light. WDI has a whole library of attractions on the shelf.
Posted while you did. The "shelved" options are always welcome too! I'd love to see what creativity is just gathering dust.

doctornick

Sure, there are shelved attractions, but they would still require more investment to develop than a comparative ride that has already been built.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Sure, there are shelved attractions, but they would still require more investment to develop than a comparative ride that has already been built.
The Imagineers are already on the payroll. How does their time being used to actually create something require more investment than they're simply doing nothing?

Californian Elitist

Agreed. I used to love Studios, but even in our childless days, it was a 1/2 to 3/4 day park. With kids, it's a half day park. Any change would be good change and while I was on the fence about it, I welcome Carsland if it comes, but i note a few things in reading all these posts.
  • A majority of travelers to WDW are not travelers to DL. Simple fact as we need to weigh in travelers from abroad.
  • Would I love something original? Sure! But with the costs of air travel and the much smaller size of DL, I along with many others are not flying to DL when we can get more bang for the buck at WDW, just like many are not flying to Japan or China to see some unique Disney attractions. It's a personal loss admittedly, but it simply isn't practical.

To the first point, I want to simply say oh well. If we go by that, we could say DL visitors don't visit WDW so some of the stuff in FL should come to CA. If WDW guests don't want to visit DL, oh well, and same vice versa. Everything shouldn't be cloned just because people don't want to/can't travel.

To the second point, theme park-wise, there just as many things to do at the DLR as there are at WDW. No, you can't get a medi/pedi or play golf at DL but there are just as many attractions to experience, maybe slightly more.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The Imagineers are already on the payroll. How does their time being used to actually create something require more investment than they're simply doing nothing?

WDI is ran as a service.. it bills its time to it's 'customers'. Instead of running WDI as a cost of business, it too must take in revenue to fund itself.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Designed on paper. Yes. But not actually built. Look at most construction projects that are built, once you get on site and start construction extra costs always creep in. Budgets are usually exceeded. They can also learn from mistakes made when building the original and save money by not repeating them. I would be happy with one of the original rides that are designed too, but they come with a higher financial risk than cloning.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
To the first point, I want to simply say oh well. If we go by that, we could say DL visitors don't visit WDW so some of the stuff in FL should come to CA. If WDW guests don't want to visit DL, oh well, and same vice versa. Everything shouldn't be cloned just because people don't want to/can't travel.

To the second point, theme park-wise, there just as many things to do at the DLR as there are at WDW. No, you can't get a medi/pedi or play golf at DL but there are just as many attractions to experience, maybe slightly more.

I think his point is that The Walt Disney Company recognizes that the majority of regular visitors to WDW don't regularly visit DL or any of the foreign parks so cloning rides at WDW will not canabalize a material number of customers from the other parks. It has not resulted in issues in the past when cloned rides went both ways and it will not if they build anything Cars related in DHS. If Carsland is cloned in some form at DHS it would not have a material impact to DCA attendance. By the time it opens most die hard fans who would be willing to fly to CA to see Carsland would have already gone. CA regulars are not likely to fly to FL to see the Carsland in DHS and they make up the majority of DL guests.

Californian Elitist

I think his point is that The Walt Disney Company recognizes that the majority of regular visitors to WDW don't regularly visit DL or any of the foreign parks so cloning rides at WDW will not canabalize a material number of customers from the other parks. It has not resulted in issues in the past when cloned rides went both ways and it will not if they build anything Cars related in DHS. If Carsland is cloned in some form at DHS it would not have a material impact to DCA attendance. By the time it opens most die hard fans who would be willing to fly to CA to see Carsland would have already gone. CA regulars are not likely to fly to FL to see the Carsland in DHS and they make up the majority of DL guests.

Oh ok, I see what the poster was trying to say. Still, something else should be thought of/created IMO.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Designed on paper. Yes. But not actually built.

And not spec'd out to actual building requirements.. or sourcing.. or current code.. etc. Martin made this comment prior, but I think his intent is being stretched by some (its amazing how someone reads something and then repeats it as if they were the authoritive source and add their own slight spin.. its like the telephone game but the meaning gets stronger!)

Ideas exist.. but you don't go through and layout things like full utilities, etc until you know its real. That is dead-end time and money that is unlikely to be reusable if the site plan were to change.

compared to something built and they know they are going to cookie cutter it.. like you say.. there is a hell of lot more already 'done' compared to a fully realized concept.. that hasn't been put through site engineering.

stevehousse

They need to just make the park different studios. Old Hollywood studios is the front of the park and sunset blvd. change outside of gmv to carthay theatre. Make a Lucas studios. Add Indiana jones ride and a mos eisley cantina restaurant. Next muppet studios keep the 3d movie where pizza planet is now can be a muppet dark ride. Change mama melrose to muppet chef restaurant. Pixar studios is the big ticket here now with Rsr but the theme changed to the European races from the sequel! Also tsmm stays pizza planet and monsters inc show moved into Pixar studios. Add the monste door coaster add an Up dark ride think Peter pan ride but your vehicle is a bench floating by balloons! Also a character restaurant and maybe 1 more small dark ride if there is room. He animation courtyard becomes Disney jr studios. Change little mermaid to a ride and add 2 small dark rides to the area! How bout a jake and the never land pirates ride and a Mickey clubhouse ride, keep the show! A new area back behind the animation building and the rockin RC is too town studios with the roger rabbit ride and various character meet n greets! Fix this park! It has such potential!

TimeTrip

This conversation has led me to go back to Roller Coaster Tycoon and in the game the seats can rotate 180 degrees forward and 180 degrees backwards, but they cannot rotate a full 360 back to 0. Is that the case in real life? I would think so as I believe the motion is based on a 3rd rail. Does someone that's smarter than me know how this thing works?
I believe that is the case. However most text says "rotates 360 forwards and backwards", which could still be considered to be true if you rotate from -180 to 180 and back...

RSoxNo1

I believe that is the case. However most text says "rotates 360 forwards and backwards", which could still be considered to be true if you rotate from -180 to 180 and back...
On RCT3, the "0" position has the seat upright and facing backwards. It can rotate 180 degrees forward and backwards but when you go to 181 degrees it just starts spinning in circles.

tomman710

All this talk and we haven't heard from @whylightbulb in a while ... unfortunately there are a million possible reasons for his silence so it's futile to try and figure out why ... but still I'd be curious to know where we are at now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom