DHS CARS LAND

LithiumBill

yes and no. what elicits emotional responses are the opinions you're predisposed to. but you can have a rational viewpoint on the matter that isn't steeped in opinion.

to use your analogy, yankees vs. red sox. if you're a yankees fan, you can scream, "THE RED SOX ARE TERRIBLE!" although, taking a step back, you could probably say without a shadow of a doubt that the red sox were a better organization from 2004-2007. same thing can be said about the yankees organization from 1996-2000(i'm a mets fan, i have no horse in this race).

to extend it to the theme park world, i prefer disney. in fact, i've been to universal just twice. the only reason i went the second time was because my wife wanted to see WWOHP. and i was so indignant about going there that i didn't even want to buy a water there to give uni money.

but then i took a step back from my emotional side and realized that uni is doing things the way disney used to do them. and for that, uni gets props from me. when most disney fans praise uni, it's because they wish they'd see similar commitment to show in disney. when disney fans bash people who say, "hey, uni is doing some cool stuff. wish disney would do some more of it like they used to," that's not coming from anywhere but the brand loyal part of the brain.

No disagreement there. But like politics, there are extreme LEFT and RIGHTs on these here boards (and everywhere else). Those of us in the middle, we just get to listen to the LOUDER edges...

Taylor

Now that I think about it getting cars over avatar is a good idea. Cars can and probably will top Potter in every way imaginable especially in merch and marketing ability.

(but why can't Disney just get both :()

janoimagine

Surely wont argue with this.....point taken. My point was that I didnt think that egos had as much to do with it as the money did.
All good. You would think it would be that way ... although I dont know what is worse ... 'I am too stuborn because it doesnt fit my initial creative vision for my baby' ... or 'give me enough money and I will forget all about my principals.'

GoofyFan299

I don't know if anyone else has posted this, the renovations planned for the Backlot and Honey I SHurnk playground are going to start in October and go for 6 weeks into November. Either this puts this rumour to rest for the time being because y would they put money into something they would be tearing down in the near future, or could they close at the time and never re-open to start bulldozing. "Food for Thought." Anyone else have any thoughts on this.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't know if anyone else has posted this, the renovations planned for the Backlot and Honey I SHurnk playground are going to start in October and go for 6 weeks into November. Either this puts this rumour to rest for the time being because y would they put money into something they would be tearing down in the near future, or could they close at the time and never re-open to start bulldozing. "Food for Thought." Anyone else have any thoughts on this.
Seemed odd to me too, but they could still remove LMA and keep backlot tour and we would have something new. If backlot tour closes in a few years to make way for phase 2 of the new stuff then it would be worth it to do a little refurb this year. I may be reaching, but trying to stay optimistic.

CinematicFusion

I'm still of the opinion you won't see cars land any earlier than 2016. That's if they have a news conference this year green lighting the expansion. It took cars land and will take FLE 6 years to build. It took test track 4 years to build. It took mission space 3 years to build.
It will be some time before you see any big time attraction at any Orlando park. FLE is the big to e attraction for the time being and that won't be finished until 2014.

doctornick

I don't think this means much of anything. The prevailing thought is that LMA and/or soundstage 1 are where any short term expansion would occur. Longer term, sure the Baklot Tour area would be a prime space, but that's probably 3+ years away from starting (if then) so why wouldn't they do upkeep in the meantime?

GoofyFan299

it might not mean anything, but with the rumour of Avatarland being pushed back due to disagreement, Disney could push up what ever plan or expansion they have.

JWG

Obviously this is a false rumor as all expansion plans for DHS have been confirmed - new seats in Fantasmic. This will clean up all needs at DHS until at least 2020.

JWG

What? that was another thread completely unrelated
Feel the sarcasm... Disney has floundered with their announcements as of late. Avatar land on the verge of extinction, a media event to announce the expansion of seating in a theater, etc.

This all very well may be true - but even if it is, it feels like it would be 2016 at best before they could produce given how things work now a days.

Taylor

Feel the sarcasm... Disney has floundered with their announcements as of late. Avatar land on the verge of extinction, a media event to announce the expansion of seating in a theater, etc.

This all very well may be true - but even if it is, it feels like it would be 2016 at best before they could produce given how things work now a days.
I couldn't tell it was sarcastic a winky smile emoticon would've helped. Maybe I'm just being to positive here but I think Disney will build carsland faster in WDW well because they've already done it before

prberk

They did try that, and unfortunately, it doesn't fit well within the theme park enviroment. Back in the day, I went to a couple of the "live studio audience" shows they had at what was then DisneyMGM, and each time it was a MAJOR chunk of the day to be in the audience- much more than the average theme park guest wants to lose. I didn't mind, as I was a AP holder and could skip the rest of the park if I had to.
Both times I went (I kinda remember one was some kind of dog show for Animal Planet, I think) you had to be there first thing in the morning, and we wouldn't get out until half into the afternoon. During all intros and outros to commercial, off set guys are trying to whip the crowd into a clapping frenzy, until we were all pretty tired by the time it let out.
So if you are a first time guest and you do one of these tapings, when it's done- the day is over half done, you haven't ridden anything, and you are already tired.

That happens in LA, too, on most normal tapings. But there are other shows, like The Tonight Show, that tape in real time. There should be some like that, or an opportunity to change the audience. (Some shows in LA have rehearsal show followed by the "real" show, but both are taped. They would have separate audiences.)

How did the '90s Mickey Mouse Club work? It was taped there.

By the way, couldn't you see Drew Carey and his "Whose Line" crew coming up with something fun there, for live, real-time taping or broadcast?

TikiTorch

Even if they announced a major expansion today, it would probably be at least two-three years before it was completed. So they could refurb the Backlot Tour this fall and have it ready to operate for perhaps another 12 months or more before shutting it down permanently. So maybe the announced refurbs do not undermine the Cars Land rumors.

baymenxpac

Even if they announced a major expansion today, it would probably be at least two-three years before it was completed. So they could refurb the Backlot Tour this fall and have it ready to operate for perhaps another 12 months or more before shutting it down permanently. So maybe the announced refurbs do not undermine the Cars Land rumors.

this would seem to make the most sense to me. refurb it a little to handle some traffic through the holiday season, then close it down for good.

FrankLapidus

this would seem to make the most sense to me. refurb it a little to handle some traffic through the holiday season, then close it down for good.

It's such a pale shadow of what it was once that it would almost be kind to put it out of it's misery. It's a shame because I really did used to enjoy the attraction; I loved all the houses from famous television series that used to be displayed there and were decorated at winter. Now it just seems to be a placeholder, living on borrowed time until something else comes along that will hopefully make better use of that piece of real estate.

Jimmy Thick

I'm still of the opinion you won't see cars land any earlier than 2016. That's if they have a news conference this year green lighting the expansion. It took cars land and will take FLE 6 years to build. It took test track 4 years to build. It took mission space 3 years to build.
It will be some time before you see any big time attraction at any Orlando park. FLE is the big to e attraction for the time being and that won't be finished until 2014.

Iam under the opinion this whole thread might just be shenanigans.

Jimmy Thick- The whole concept seems to be falling apart...

fosse76

If what others have said is true, Disney's selling point to JK for Potter in Disney was a ride like TSMM... And if that was their proposal, they should be ashamed... JK is a smart woman... She made the right call not working with Disney...
It was also creative control. She is VERY protective of her intellectual property, and Disney wanted more control than she was willing to cede. Disney is well-known for exploiting their third-party properties contrary to the rights-holders' wishes because they ceded too much control in doing business with Disney (see Mary Poppins, Whinnie the Pooh).

BigThunderMatt

It was also creative control. She is VERY protective of her intellectual property, and Disney wanted more control than she was willing to cede. Disney is well-known for exploiting their third-party properties contrary to the rights-holders' wishes because they ceded too much control in doing business with Disney (see Mary Poppins, Whinnie the Pooh).

Which is why Star Wars fans get shafted with this crap:
starwarswdwmickey_small.jpg

While Harry Potter fans get this:
5013548837_d0dbf63d58_b.jpg

Are we seeing the difference? I've got more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom