DHS CARS LAND

RSoxNo1

That would indeed be interesting. I've never ridden X2 and I can without a doubt say I never will. It scream death to me, I just can't do it. I've heard nothing but positive reviews about it, though.
It would be the most intense ride in Florida without question. I have no idea how it would be logically themed, but the first drop on X2 is ridiculous. To the uninitiated, X2 is what's referred to as a multi-dimensional coaster. The seats extend out to the left and right of the track (they are above the track), and they can rotate a full 360 degrees. In the first lift hill, riders are going backwards, and the first drop tilts the rider back so they're approaching the ground lying on the back, head first.

culturenthrills

The thing is that alot of people are talking about attendance numbers and it is not just about that. Universal's attendance is dramatically up but it is their per guest spending that is thru the roof. That is where they are really kicking and they are doing it with barely any discounting and they really haven't raised there prices for food, merchandise etc as much as WDW has. UNI is investing in the parks because they have seen with building something as high quality and popular as HP that guests are not only coming but they are spending alot of money. Something WDW used to do. Now some people are coming to Otown and they aren't even setting foot in WDW or they are doing a few days at both. This scares the crap out of TDO.

Californian Elitist

It would be the most intense ride in Florida without question. I have no idea how it would be logically themed, but the first drop on X2 is ridiculous. To the uninitiated, X2 is what's referred to as a multi-dimensional coaster. The seats extend out to the left and right of the track (they are above the track), and they can rotate a full 360 degrees. In the first lift hill, riders are going backwards, and the first drop tilts the rider back so they're approaching the ground lying on the back, head first.

Wow. That's crazy. Was your life flashing before your eyes?

Turtle

If a single Avatar attraction comes to DHS.. Where could it fit in? Assuming that there would be Star Wars Land, Pixar Place, Muppet Studios, Animation Courtyard, Sunset Boulevard, Hollywood Boulevard and Streets of America.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If a single Avatar attraction comes to DHS.. Where could it fit in? Assuming that there would be Star Wars Land, Pixar Place, Muppet Studios, Animation Courtyard, Sunset Boulevard, Hollywood Boulevard and Streets of America.
It could end up with an elaborate scene in TGMR.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The thing is that alot of people are talking about attendance numbers and it is not just about that. Universal's attendance is dramatically up but it is their per guest spending that is thru the roof. That is where they are really kicking and they are doing it with barely any discounting and they really haven't raised there prices for food, merchandise etc as much as WDW has. UNI is investing in the parks because they have seen with building something as high quality and popular as HP that guests are not only coming but they are spending alot of money. Something WDW used to do. Now some people are coming to Otown and they aren't even setting foot in WDW or they are doing a few days at both. This scares the crap out of TDO.

Not sure about the discounting part. Annual pass to Universal = $165, annual pass to WDW = $450 (FL residents). They both have pretty much the same base 1 day park ticket price ($1 difference) so I would say Universal is doing a good deal of discounting. WDW has a considerable number more rooms and restaurants so I would also assume the per guest spending including meals and lodging would also be higher at WDW than Universal. I would agree that there are probably some people who either switched from WDW to Universal AP (I probably would consider it if I lived in FL). There are also probably some people who go to Orlando and skip Disney and just do Universal. I work with a guy who just did this. He said he got a much better room and ticket package from Universal so he was skipping WDW and just doing Uni for a few days, but it was the discounted package that sold him.

cheezbat

That would indeed be interesting. I've never ridden X2 and I can without a doubt say I never will. It scream death to me, I just can't do it. I've heard nothing but positive reviews about it, though.

Let this coaster enthusiast give it to you straight: it's insane. Very unusual...and interesting. I liked the audio and the way they start the drop, but after that it was nothing but pain pain pain. I seriously have never felt more scared for my life on a roller coaster. I've ridden about 200 different coasters in America, and while this thing is novel, it was not too much fun to me. Now, if B&M take their Wingrider coasters to the next level...as in 4-D like X2, the ride would most likely be smooth and awesome.

culturenthrills

Not sure about the discounting part. Annual pass to Universal = $165, annual pass to WDW = $450 (FL residents). They both have pretty much the same base 1 day park ticket price ($1 difference) so I would say Universal is doing a good deal of discounting. WDW has a considerable number more rooms and restaurants so I would also assume the per guest spending including meals and lodging would also be higher at WDW than Universal. I would agree that there are probably some people who either switched from WDW to Universal AP (I probably would consider it if I lived in FL). There are also probably some people who go to Orlando and skip Disney and just do Universal. I work with a guy who just did this. He said he got a much better room and ticket package from Universal so he was skipping WDW and just doing Uni for a few days, but it was the discounted package that sold him.

They are still doing some discounting but the discounts esp on tickets is no where near what they used to be. Also, the the AP price that is comparable is the preferred which is $225 not the Power Pass. But once again like I said it is per guest spending where Universal is really making their money.

Californian Elitist

Let this coaster enthusiast give it to you straight: it's insane. Very unusual...and interesting. I liked the audio and the way they start the drop, but after that it was nothing but pain pain pain. I seriously have never felt more scared for my life on a roller coaster. I've ridden about 200 different coasters in America, and while this thing is novel, it was not too much fun to me. Now, if B&M take their Wingrider coasters to the next level...as in 4-D like X2, the ride would most likely be smooth and awesome.

Exactly why I will most likely NEVER experience the ride ever in my life. I value my life too much. I take it you won't be riding it again anytime soon, if at all?

Taylor

So you are a coaster fan right. Are you going to come out to Silver Dollar City for there new freakishly insane looking wooden coaster next spring?

RSoxNo1

This conversation has led me to go back to Roller Coaster Tycoon and in the game the seats can rotate 180 degrees forward and 180 degrees backwards, but they cannot rotate a full 360 back to 0. Is that the case in real life? I would think so as I believe the motion is based on a 3rd rail. Does someone that's smarter than me know how this thing works?

PalisadesPkteer

Will try to get things back on track.
Bulb and Marin are top notch. So feel LMA will be going away and that is a good thing IMHO.
BLT could use a major upgrade but if they use some of it (Catastrophe Canyon ) in their version of
RSR (which I feel is the only thing coming not the land )that would be good and the rest could disappear and not bother me in the least. DHS really needs a lot of things to get it to where it should be. MI door coaster would be a good start.

Magenta Panther

Yes, yes, yes. Muppets dark ride. Forget cars land. They should use the space for a whole land themed to the muppets. They already have the 3D show right there. Adding a Muppets dark ride and some additional C or D ticket rides. Maybe the Swedish Chef could have a restaurant too with live entertainment from the muppets band (think Cosmic Rays with Muppets that doesn't suck).

Except that the Cars films have reaped much more treasure than that Muppet movie did or any of their merchandising has. No way Iger would ever "forget" Cars land and go with a franchise that hasn't done all that much for the company and very likely never will (I read that Iger himself said that the Muppet movie DVD sales were disappointing, on a par with John Carter's. Not a good sign.)

But I'm not crazy about a Cars Land either, because I'd prefer that WDW came up with something original. How about a ride based on something truly Disney, like the Epic Mickey video game? Or maybe TDO could create an attraction NOT based on a pre-existing franchise. Maybe it could come up with another Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Caribbean. I really wish TDO would step up its game and not just clone DLR. That is so lazy and cheap of them IMO.

RSoxNo1

If Disney announced tomorrow that they're building Radiator Springs Racers, Flo's V8 Cafe, Tow Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, a couple of gift shops and the Monster's Inc Coaster, I would expect a portion of the fan community to complain. In that case, it would be the exact segment of the insatiable fan community that Jim Hill is referencing. It doesn't necessarily make that group wrong (depending on their complaints), but there is certainly a large percentage of us that feel that cloning Carsland isn't our first choice. If the Monster's Inc Coaster is included as an original attraction, I actually expect some people to view that as something that's simply been on the table for a while and therefore not as exciting. Again, this isn't exactly fair but it points to the insatiable expectations that seem to be out there.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but as much as I dislike the idea of cloning Carsland I know that it's probably the safest bet.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm not sure what the answer is, but as much as I dislike the idea of cloning Carsland I know that it's probably the safest bet.

with no risk.. comes no reward

what company becomes great by taking the safety route every time?

Disney's 'safest' bet was to not build Disneyland at all... aren't you glad he didn't take the safe bet?

RSoxNo1

with no risk.. comes no reward

what company becomes great by taking the safety route every time?

Disney's 'safest' bet was to not build Disneyland at all... aren't you glad he didn't take the safe bet?
I agree. I want to see them take risks. I'm just explaining the thought process.

jt04

If Disney announced tomorrow that they're building Radiator Springs Racers, Flo's V8 Cafe, Tow Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, a couple of gift shops and the Monster's Inc Coaster, I would expect a portion of the fan community to complain. In that case, it would be the exact segment of the insatiable fan community that Jim Hill is referencing. It doesn't necessarily make that group wrong (depending on their complaints), but there is certainly a large percentage of us that feel that cloning Carsland isn't our first choice. If the Monster's Inc Coaster is included as an original attraction, I actually expect some people to view that as something that's simply been on the table for a while and therefore not as exciting. Again, this isn't exactly fair but it points to the insatiable expectations that seem to be out there.

If they reopen the AC and PI all the whining would essentially evaporate overnight. It is all completely contrived.

Beholder

Speaking for myself, I'd like to see WDW get it's own "game changer", if that's what you can call Carsland. Being honest, I want bragging rights for the east coast. Is that realistic? No, but I'm just speaking to human nature to want "my kid" to be best athlete, or smartest. So I want unique, different, and completely WDW's own. Would Carsland be a good thing? Yes, absolutely, but I imagine any number of WDI plans would good things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom