DHS CARS LAND

michmousefan

in fact, i've been to universal just twice. the only reason i went the second time was because my wife wanted to see WWOHP. and i was so indignant about going there that i didn't even want to buy a water there to give uni money.

but then i took a step back from my emotional side and realized that uni is doing things the way disney used to do them. and for that, uni gets props from me. when most disney fans praise uni, it's because they wish they'd see similar commitment to show in disney. when disney fans bash people who say, "hey, uni is doing some cool stuff. wish disney would do some more of it like they used to," that's not coming from anywhere but the brand loyal part of the brain.

Agree. What makes WWOHP so great -- everywhere else in IOA is sorta dull in comparison -- is the immersive nature of the "land," the quality of the signature attraction, AND the CM's, who seem more Disney-like than I've seen before at UNI. It's that complete immersive experience that I keep reading raves of in reviews of Cars Land at DCA, and that's why I think if they create such an attraction in DHS, it will be the whole land, so that they have a direct competitor to WWOHP. Maybe Luigi's tires won't make the coast-to-coast trip, but perhaps something like a giant tire swing could work: http://www.cedarpoint.com/rides/Thrill-Rides/maXair

Captain Chaos

It was also creative control. She is VERY protective of her intellectual property, and Disney wanted more control than she was willing to cede. Disney is well-known for exploiting their third-party properties contrary to the rights-holders' wishes because they ceded too much control in doing business with Disney (see Mary Poppins, Whinnie the Pooh).
Still, I don't blame her... if I created something that was loved and enjoyed by millions (maybe billions???) of people world wide of all ages, I'd be very protective of my IP as well...

asianway

Still, I don't blame her... if I created something that was loved and enjoyed by millions (maybe billions???) of people world wide of all ages, I'd be very protective of my IP as well...
Considering Disney doesn't protect their own IP, doesnt surprise me they would care about anyone else's...

baymenxpac

It was also creative control. She is VERY protective of her intellectual property, and Disney wanted more control than she was willing to cede. Disney is well-known for exploiting their third-party properties contrary to the rights-holders' wishes because they ceded too much control in doing business with Disney (see Mary Poppins, Whinnie the Pooh).

it also had A LOT to do with money, as @Lee and others have spoken about before

It's such a pale shadow of what it was once that it would almost be kind to put it out of it's misery. It's a shame because I really did used to enjoy the attraction; I loved all the houses from famous television series that used to be displayed there and were decorated at winter. Now it just seems to be a placeholder, living on borrowed time until something else comes along that will hopefully make better use of that piece of real estate.

oh, the whole backlot tour is an absolute mess, but based on the refurb schedules, it seems like that's why they're even bothering to do a sprucing of it. let it eat some people for the holiday season, then take it down for good. at least i hope.

Agree. What makes WWOHP so great -- everywhere else in IOA is sorta dull in comparison -- is the immersive nature of the "land," the quality of the signature attraction, AND the CM's, who seem more Disney-like than I've seen before at UNI. It's that complete immersive experience that I keep reading raves of in reviews of Cars Land at DCA, and that's why I think if they create such an attraction in DHS, it will be the whole land, so that they have a direct competitor to WWOHP. Maybe Luigi's tires won't make the coast-to-coast trip, but perhaps something like a giant tire swing could work: http://www.cedarpoint.com/rides/Thrill-Rides/maXair

agreed. let's face it: WDW hasn't gotten anything, "oh my god"-worthy in a while. part of what made WDW such a huge success was that people of all ages could come and see things that they just couldn't get over how they were accomplished. the biggest addition to the parks (excluding the yet-to-be-opened FLE) is a glorified video game (TSMM) and a bona fide e-ticket whose prize AA hasn't functioned properly in years (expedition everest). WWOHP and, from many accounts, cars land, are able to pass the jaw-drop test with flying colors. WDW needs something on this scale. desperately.

Captain Chaos

Considering Disney doesn't protect their own IP, doesnt surprise me they would care about anyone else's...
Well they only care if it is a nursery for little kids who decide, for kids' enjoyment, to paint a Disney character on their wall... Then the vultures, er, lawyers are all over you... But if you are a certain LM guy, then you can give paid tours on their private property (though Jill Hill was booted from DL for giving a FREE tour)....

trr1

it also had A LOT to do with money, as @Lee and others have spoken about before

oh, the whole backlot tour is an absolute mess, but based on the refurb schedules, it seems like that's why they're even bothering to do a sprucing of it. let it eat some people for the holiday season, then take it down for good. at least i hope.

agreed. let's face it: WDW hasn't gotten anything, "oh my god"-worthy in a while. part of what made WDW such a huge success was that people of all ages could come and see things that they just couldn't get over how they were accomplished. the biggest addition to the parks (excluding the yet-to-be-opened FLE) is a glorified video game (TSMM) and a bona fide e-ticket whose prize AA hasn't functioned properly in years (expedition everest). WWOHP and, from many accounts, cars land, are able to pass the jaw-drop test with flying colors. WDW needs something on this scale. desperately.
are you saying this?
558634_4353412070902_126900250_n.jpg

tinkerbell1620

Of course they need the rock work. I can't imagine how crappy it would look without it. And the last thing DHS needs is more thrill rides.
no DHS deffinitly needs more thrills and less shows. i agree with the canyons though, it would be nothing without them. im excited to see if this really falls through

danlb_2000

Premium Member
no DHS deffinitly needs more thrills and less shows. i agree with the canyons though, it would be nothing without them. im excited to see if this really falls through

DHS already has two of the highest thrill rides in WDW. Thrill rides have never been Disney's focus, they leave that to parks like Six Flags. The very long lines at Toy Story Midway Mania are evidence that there is a need for more family oriented rides in the park.

GLaDOS

DHS already has two of the highest thrill rides in WDW. Thrill rides have never been Disney's focus, they leave that to parks like Six Flags. The very long lines at Toy Story Midway Mania are evidence that there is a need for more family oriented rides in the park.

Yes and no. TSMM's lines are also evidence of its terrible capacity.

I'm not saying DHS doesn't need more slow indoor rides, but the park could also use a few more thrills, IMO.

TikiTorch

I know that Lilo & Stitch isn't exactly the most popular Disney film ever, but I've often wondered why there is not a "Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride" themed after the islands and set to that music. Has this ever been considered in the past? It could be a good thrill ride and would better represent that film than SGE at MK.

michmousefan

That may be the case, but if Universal keeps stoking the competition with thrill rides, Disney will have to answer in one way or another. Simply retreating and saying "we're not thrill ride people" won't cut it in the competitive Orlando environment. Sea World and UNI have thrills and more on the way, so I would imagine some sort of response is coming from TDO.

tinkerbell1620

You know actually i kinda agree now that you mention it. hopefully disney can find a nice balance and somehow give both. i think the park can use at least one more, or maybe even another park. i would love a carsland so i dont have to travel all the way to cali!!

doctornick

This. Of Disney park, DHS does not need more thrill rides. Don't get me wrong: it would be totally cool if they added more such rides, but it is not a park that needs them. Where is it really lacking is family/all inclusive rides.

invader

This. Of Disney park, DHS does not need more thrill rides. Don't get me wrong: it would be totally cool if they added more such rides, but it is not a park that needs them. Where is it really lacking is family/all inclusive rides.
I understand your view, but if it's already labeled as the thrill park (a place for tweens/teens), why not keep it that why? Add some family rides but make it so it is the dominant park for the older crowd.

doctornick

That may be the case, but if Universal keeps stoking the competition with thrill rides, Disney will have to answer in one way or another. Simply retreating and saying "we're not thrill ride people" won't cut it in the competitive Orlando environment. Sea World and UNI have thrills and more on the way, so I would imagine some sort of response is coming from TDO.

I'm not so sure I agree with this. I mean, if all Disney needed was thrill rides, they could do some off the shelf roller coasters with multiple inversions and such. Stuff like TFJ draw crowds because their immersion, not the thrill level (same goes with RSR FWIW). In fact, I think one of the reasons why Disney up the popularity it did was by avoiding such rides by and large and going more for rides that appealed to wide ranges of folks.

I think what would help Disney the most would be the next Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Caribbean -- something immersible and memorable and repeatable but that everyone can enjoy. It is tough, however, to do that with just a ride and that's why you see such focus on theming of lands where everyone can get some enjoyment of visiting an imagined place. And the rides are compliments to that.

Epcot is one of the most visited theme parks in the world and has little in the way of thrill rides (even the ones they have added in M:S and TT are pretty mild). I think that reflect a certain theme park niche that Disney fills and does so very successfully.

doctornick

I understand your view, but if it's already labeled as the thrill park (a place for tweens/teens), why not keep it that why? Add some family rides but make it so it is the dominant park for the older crowd.

Because it doesn't really fit with Disney's promotional scheme. They want everyone to visit every park. They want you to go for a week (or two) and feel you have to buy many days of tickets and stay on property because every park has something for you. Whether you are a two year old who rides dark rides or a 16 year old roller coaster fanatic or a 45 year old who likes shows and fireworks. The last thing they want is someone who goes to WDW and says "all I need to do is visit DHS one day and do the cool rides there and then I'll go to Universal for the rest of my vacation".

I mean, DHS is also home to the Disney Jr stage show and the Disney Jr character meals -- and those are aimed directly at the pre-school crowd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom