DHS CARS LAND

doctornick

In what way are The Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, Toy Story, Star Wars, and let's throw in Handy Manny related to CA? DHS may be--ok, is--a thematic mess, but it's been one almost since opening. If we can get a crowd-pleasing people-eater of an E-ticket for that park, I'm willing to overlook that fact it will continue to be a thematic mess.

(And all of the above STILL make more sense to me than Avatar in AK.)

The theme of DHS basically is movies and entertainment. As such, almost anything tied to an entertainment property could be made to fit. I agree that it's a mess though, mostly because of the organization is fairly scattershot and random, plus the layout is awful. Personally, I think having a land themed to a studio and all it's work (e.g. Pixar Place) makes a lot of sense and has a certain unifying ideal, just different in nature from the likes of Fantasyland and Frontierland. I've said before that having some sort of history of Pixar walk through would make sense to bring it all together (possibly with a "coming attraction" part).

Avatar in DAK makes perfect sense to me as long as it's themed to the world of Pandora and the flora and fauna there (which seems to be the plan) as opposed to the plot of Avatar the movie. Pandora fills in the mythical creature plans that Beastly Kingdomme once was meant for.

doctornick

So is this a sure fire thing?

Nothing is sure fire. I think the most we can say with some degree of certainty is:

1. Something is coming to DHS in the near future.
2. LMA is going to be replaced with a new attraction

It's very likely that the Backlot Tour and/or Soundstage 1 will also be used for attractions at some point and we'll get an expanded Pixar Place, but that seems less certain.

c-one

Been on all of them, except TDL's (no, wasn't going to wait 110 minutes or waste a FP on it!)

The easiest and only one I've ever maxed out is MK's ... repeatedly. If you know how, you can be done in the first room or the second.

And that is precisely why the ride sucks. You ride long enough, you'll figure it out and then there's no point in riding again.
Meh, I think the ride sucks, but not because of that. How many people ride enough/care enough to max out in the first room? The problem with the ride is that it feels cheap and inconsequential. These days there are regional parks with more interesting shoot-em-up rides.

misterID

Rethemed possibly. Removed wouldn't bet on seen as there is a variation of it in every Magic Kingdom-like park around the world.

Consider Speedway an available plot for expansion, not retheming. But the rate WDW expands it'll be a while. You can go ahead and put a RIP sign on DLRs.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The theme of DHS basically is movies and entertainment. As such, almost anything tied to an entertainment property could be made to fit. I agree that it's a mess though, mostly because of the organization is fairly scattershot and random, plus the layout is awful. Personally, I think having a land themed to a studio and all it's work (e.g. Pixar Place) makes a lot of sense and has a certain unifying ideal, just different in nature from the likes of Fantasyland and Frontierland. I've said before that having some sort of history of Pixar walk through would make sense to bring it all together (possibly with a "coming attraction" part).

Avatar in DAK makes perfect sense to me as long as it's themed to the world of Pandora and the flora and fauna there (which seems to be the plan) as opposed to the plot of Avatar the movie. Pandora fills in the mythical creature plans that Beastly Kingdomme once was meant for.

The theme is a mess. I agree with that. But, MGM Studios was built as a direct response to Universal building a park in Florida. From the start it was meant to be the Disney answer to Universal. What do Spiderman, Jurassic Park and Harry Potter all have in common? Other than huge box office hits and great rides not much. Universal doesn't necessarily have a continuous theme but it works for them and DHS is/was supposed to be Disney's response to Universal. As such, they have the most liberty to break from the constraints of a continuous theme and have a more eclectic mix of rides simply themed around movies. The biggest problem is that people expect a Disney park to have a central theme and the rides and their surrounding areas need to blend. The best way to get around this in my opinion is to build Pixar themed rides and call it an expanded Pixar place. The remaining areas in the park still work with their themes.

LudwigVonDrake

The theme is a mess. I agree with that. But, MGM Studios was built as a direct response to Universal building a park in Florida. From the start it was meant to be the Disney answer to Universal. What do Spiderman, Jurassic Park and Harry Potter all have in common? Other than huge box office hits and great rides not much. Universal doesn't necessarily have a continuous theme but it works for them and DHS is/was supposed to be Disney's response to Universal.

Those rides aren't in the "studio" park. They're in Islands of Adventure which is not meant to be a working studio.

djlaosc

The theme is a mess. I agree with that. But, MGM Studios was built as a direct response to Universal building a park in Florida. From the start it was meant to be the Disney answer to Universal. What do Spiderman, Jurassic Park and Harry Potter all have in common? Other than huge box office hits and great rides not much. Universal doesn't necessarily have a continuous theme but it works for them and DHS is/was supposed to be Disney's response to Universal.

What do the jungle, pirates, the frontier, Colonial America, fairytales and space all have in common?

You're comparing the wrong parks - each island at Islands of Adventure has its own theme, just like the lands at Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom - if you're going to compare, you need to compare both studio parks (DHS v USF)

USF has...
Production Central
New York
San Francisco
World Expo
Woody Woodpecker's Kidzone
Hollywood

used to have...
Amity

will soon have...
London/Diagon Alley

Do some things not fit? Yes (Shrek 4D in Production Central would fit better in a Dreamworks Studio land, or in Kidzone, Despicable Me could fit better in Kidzone, etc.) But for the most part, it seems fine!

BryceM

Haha, Universal needs to get rid of or update Woody Woodpecker's Kidzone. Besides the classic E.T. Adventure, there is little to do there and nobody wants to have a "day in the park with Barney".

The rest of USF is amazing though. And Universal was smart by not including a backlot tour, because they knew nothing major would be produced there. That's where DHS has its fault. It tries to sell you that things are still produced there, when they're not.

I love DHS (tied with MK for my favorite Disney park), it has truly outstanding attractions, but it just doesn't work like USF does.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Haha, Universal needs to get rid of or update Woody Woodpecker's Kidzone. Besides the classic E.T. Adventure, there is little to do there and nobody wants to have a "day in the park with Barney".

The rest of USF is amazing though. And Universal was smart by not including a backlot tour, because they knew nothing major would be produced there. That's where DHS has its fault. It tries to sell you that things are still produced there, when they're not.

I love DHS (tied with MK for my favorite Disney park), it has truly outstanding attractions, but it just doesn't work like USF does.
The backlot tour should/will be gone. Once that is done and they eliminate the idea of DHS as a working studio then the theme gets a little less messy. No reason that DHS cannot simply be a park with rides based on movies just like USF.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom