DHS CARS LAND

djlaosc

What do Spiderman, Jurassic Park and Harry Potter all have in common?

I remembered this after I turned my computer off last night, but the answers are "adventure" and "literature/reading materials"

Marvel Comics - Marvel
Popeye the Sailor - Thimble Theatre Comic Strip
Dudley Do Right - The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, was first a TV series, did become a comic after
Jurassic Park - novel by Michael Crichton
Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling
Dragons - General Myths
Unicorns - General Myths
Sinbad - Sinbad/The Book of One Thousand and One Nights (Arabian Nights)
Poseidon - General Myth
Dr Seuss - Dr Seuss

djlaosc

In another thread some of our insiders claim that in 2016/17 KidZone is supposedly getting a big overhaul. I would definitely think Barney and Curious George are going bye bye

Maybe not - they did say that Kidzone would be getting redone after HP2.0 opens, but will they be getting rid of current Kidzone attractions, or could they use the World Expo expansion pad for an extension to Kidzone, without changing the current attractions?

El Grupo

I may be the only one around, but I still think that DHS should be a working studio, for at least a few things. I mean, Hollywood is now perpetually farming out projects for location shooting, and a lot of that ends up in the South. Just look at North Carolina (Wilmington), where many things have been filmed or edited in the last 20 years.

But here is the biggest, most obvious reason: The Disney Channel. They should go back to having live (or live-on-tape) children's shows here. The Mickey Mouse Club was filmed here in their Justin Timberlake/Brittany Spears/Christina Aguilera/Ryan Gosling days.

I mean, how obvious would that be? They could even have some feature segments produced elsewhere and posted into the show, but have the main show filmed live at DHS. Not only is there a built-in enthusiastic audience, but it would be a daily commercial for WDW and DHS itself.

Other shows, such as a half-hour show, say, on Imagineering could also be based here, with a built-in audience. (Such a show could start as a segment on a new MMC even.)

Heck, the AIE stage could be fitted for a real live show.

Obvious waste of resources if they do not have live television coming regularly out of this park, in my opinion.

I understand your point about the potential promotional benefits of filming some shows at DHS. But, I have a tough time seeing Disney spend hundreds of millions on the Golden Oak Ranch studios expansion that is supposed to include an entire production campus with multiple soundstages and then reinvest in production in Florida.

LithiumBill

I went on vacation, and came back to this monster of a thread! Holy-cow... I've not made it all the way through this, it's a beast but my initial reaction is, GOOD.

My family is pretty much east coast locked, so getting RSR in DHS would be welcome for us. I do understand the comments that DHS deserves something new and unique. And hate the term, better than nothing.

I think adding a version of RSR in DHS would increase the daily ticket sales, and like others have pointed out, it would drive the need to fix and expand other areas of the park. Expanding LUCASland or even more PIXAR place is what the studios really need.

brkn3467

For what it's worth, this comes from the owner of the EasyWDW Blog. If you know him or his blog, he's not the type to spread bus driver rumors and he does have at least some connections. Anyway, i think both parts of this post are interesting:

"There’s a lot of chatter about Cars Land coming to Hollywood Studios. To quote the highest level source that this website has access to, there’s a “zero percent chance of that happening.” But I hate rumors. My personal opinion is that Cars Land should stay exclusive to the West Coast. What I want to see is Mickey Mouse Land, where Disney would follow the various forms of Mickey from his creation in 1928 to what we have today. I haven’t put a lot of thought into this, but I would love to see a Steamboat Willie water ride that’s completely in black and white. It would also help introduce a new generation of kids to the principal Disney characters. Mickey and the gang have so much history that seems to be missing from the Parks. "

alissafalco

For what it's worth, this comes from the owner of the EasyWDW Blog. If you know him or his blog, he's not the type to spread bus driver rumors and he does have at least some connections. Anyway, i think both parts of this post are interesting:

"There’s a lot of chatter about Cars Land coming to Hollywood Studios. To quote the highest level source that this website has access to, there’s a “zero percent chance of that happening.” But I hate rumors. My personal opinion is that Cars Land should stay exclusive to the West Coast. What I want to see is Mickey Mouse Land, where Disney would follow the various forms of Mickey from his creation in 1928 to what we have today. I haven’t put a lot of thought into this, but I would love to see a Steamboat Willie water ride that’s completely in black and white. It would also help introduce a new generation of kids to the principal Disney characters. Mickey and the gang have so much history that seems to be missing from the Parks. "

I'm not buying it. There are too many insiders on here that are saying it is a strong possibility.

CinematicFusion

My honest opinion is Disney is going to let FLE ride for the time being as the new themed land. They will give Cars land a year in California to see if it still packs a punch after the honeymoon is over.
Disney is a business interested in making money...nothing wrong with that, is what it is. they will be cautious before throwing billions at Disney World.

I don't think you will see any high end action in any park ( with the exception of mine train) during these next three years.
Disney isn't in any rush to build, they will talk about it all day...but green lighting something is completely different.

With the exception of Avatar...nothing has been mentioned. I think Disney is as serious to build Avatar as they we're about Hyperion pier,fire mountain,some of the WS lands in Epcot or monsters inc. door coaster.
Not one plan has surfaced on Avatar...not sure Disney is really 100 percent on board building this land...or any land for the next 3 years.

They will wait and see what FLE does. If it packs people in....they can let Disney World ride it out.
Tons of things are being discussed, nothing gets green lit. Has always been that way.

I do believe after a couple of years of cars land, if it still is packing people in...then they will green light it for Orlando. Make it as sure of a sell as possible.

As many have said on this board, Disney World is number one...even Harry Potter with the expansion can't knock Disney world off it's high horse. Disney has all the time in the world to make a move...FLE was just about crowd control. It was necessary.

saxamoophone

As many have said on this board, Disney World is number one...even Harry Potter with the expansion can't knock Disney world off it's high horse. Disney has all the time in the world to make a move...FLE was just about crowd control. It was necessary.
I disagree, Disney may still be #1 in Orlando, but I'm sure Disney and Universal both did studies that showed the $$$$$-flow that went from WDW to UO because of Harry Potter.

Living in Orlando I take flights in and out of OIA dozens of times a year. A few years ago 8 year olds were excited about seeing Mickey Mouse. What do I hear now on these flights? The kids won't stop talking about Harry Potter. Universal saw their attendance go up a good %. Where do you think these people came from? Directly taking profits away from Disney in my opinion.

Comcast is going to war with Potter 2.0, Transformers, an expanded City Walk, new resort, etc... Disney Co can't just raise a white flag...just doesn't make business sense.

CinematicFusion

I disagree, Disney may still be #1 in Orlando, but I'm sure Disney and Universal both did studies that showed the $$$$$-flow that went from WDW to UO because of Harry Potter.

Living in Orlando I take flights in and out of OIA dozens of times a year. A few years ago 8 year olds were excited about seeing Mickey Mouse. What do I hear now on these flights? The kids won't stop talking about Harry Potter. Universal saw their attendance go up a good %. Where do you think these people came from? Directly taking profits away from Disney in my opinion.

Comcast is going to war with Potter 2.0, Transformers, an expanded City Walk, new resort, etc... Disney Co can't just raise a white flag...just doesn't make business sense.

they can go to war with Disney all they want....they have to, they don't have a choice. Disney is in the drivers seat and they aren't about to make sudden moves they don't need to make. They will make moves, but they aren't in a hurry.

They fixed California Adventure because it wasn't hitting the top 10 in parks....which is sad because it sits next to number 2 in the world. So Disney fixed California adventure.... Goodbye IOA....next year you are out of the top 10 most visited parks.

Just look at the top 10 most visited parks. IOA sits at number 10, 2 million visitors behind DHS. Universal Orlando doesn't even make the top 10.

Disney is in no hurry to build new rides in Orlando, people are still flocking to the Disney Orlando parks in comparison to the other parks in the world. There is no competition between Universal and Orlando as far as ticket sales go. If there is...Disney is beating Universal's right now. Not even close.

Why would Disney be in such a rush to spend billions on something already working. They just need to maintain the product they have. Keep the park clean and refurb rides.

They will let FLE ride for a few years and hype it up...and people will come. In three or four years from now, they will build something else.

Even the expansion of potter won't put universal ahead of DHS. Not talking about which park is better...I'm just talking about ticket sales....

"Four decades after opening, the Magic Kingdom is still the world’s No. 1 most popular theme park, working its pixie-dust charm on more than 17 million annual visitors.

But Mickey Mouse has some competition. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, which opened in the summer of 2010, single-handedly carried Islands of Adventure into the world's top 10. Theme parks in Asia are growing even faster.
The takeaway? If you build it, they will come—especially if you spend a boatload of money and create an experience that's, to use the industry's favorite buzzword, immersive. The latest and greatest new theme-park attractions are designed to pull us right into the story, whether we're engaging in an epic robot battle, soaking up the retro cars culture along Route 66, or downing pints of butterbeer with Hogwarts students.

Get the scoop on which other attractions and events are drawing crowds to the world’s most-visited theme parks.

1) Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World, FL

Annual Visitors: 17,142,000

In 2011, more than 17 million people visited the world's favorite theme park, eager for photos by iconic Cinderella's castle and a turn on rides like Pirates of the Caribbean and Splash Mountain. “It is what people think about when they think of Disney World,” explains Deb Wills, founder of AllEars.Net. A Disney character parade cuts through the park and heads down Main Street, USA, every afternoon, and a fireworks spectacular lights up the sky many nights. The makeover of Fantasyland is the big news for 2012.

Disneyland Park (Photo: Greg Balfour Evans / Alamy)
2) Disneyland Park, Anaheim, CA

Annual Visitors: 16,140,000

Disney's original theme park, opened in 1955, comes in a close second to its significantly larger counterpart in Orlando. Disneyland can boast about some of Walt's best original rides as well as the newly revamped Disney California Adventure next door—all the more reason to book an Anaheim vacation.

Tokyo Disneyland (Photo: 2011 Disney Enterprises, Inc.)
3) Tokyo Disneyland

Annual Visitors: 13,996,000

Though closed for a full month in 2011 following the tsunami, the 126-acre Japanese Disneyland still managed to pull in 14 million visitors. “It was a little bit surprising how strong this park did in the face of literal disaster,” says Robert Niles of Theme Park Insider. But maybe locals needed that Disney magic more than ever.

Tokyo Disney Sea (Photo: 2011 Disney Enterprises, Inc.)
4) Tokyo Disney Sea

Annual Visitors: 11,930,000

Attendance dropped 6 percent at Disney's unique marine-themed park, whose seven themed areas are replicas of some of the world's most scenic ports of call. Like Tokyo Disneyland, it was closed for a month in 2011 following Japan's earthquake and tsunami.

Disneyland Paris (Photo: Marcos Veiga / Alamy)
5) Disneyland, Disneyland Paris

Annual Visitors: 10,990,000

Europe's most popular theme park had a respectable 5 percent attendance bump amid a Continental recession. The park is heralding its 20th anniversary in 2012 with an elaborate nighttime light-and-sound show, a new carnival-style parade, and a meet-and-greet character train.

Epcot, Walt Disney World (Photo: Songquan Deng / Alamy)
6) Epcot, Walt Disney World, FL

Annual Visitors: 10,825,000

Disney's futuristic- and international-themed park fell one position last year as its attendance flatlined at 10.8 million visitors. Expect a surge in numbers when the feverishly anticipated major renovation of Test Track is completed this fall. Other top attractions include Soarin' and Mission: SPACE.

Animal Kingdom, Walt Disney World (Photo: M. Timothy O'Keefe / Alamy)
7) Animal Kingdom, Walt Disney World, FL

Annual Visitors: 9,783,000

This 500-acre homage to Africa is by far the largest of all Disney theme parks, re-creating a lush jungle area and savanna that is home to 1,700 animals from 250 species. The Expedition Everest coaster and Kilimanjaro Safaris often attract the biggest crowds.

Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World (Photo: M. Jeremy Pembrey / Alamy)
8) Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World, FL

Annual Visitors: 9,699,000

Disney's entertainment-themed park claimed the No. 8 spot for the second year running. Much of the credit goes to favorite thrill rides Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith, not to mention stunt-filled shows like “Lights, Motors, Action!”

Universal Studios Japan (Photo: Photo Japan / Alamy)
9) Universal Studios Japan, Osaka

Annual Visitors: 8,500,000

A chockablock calendar of 10th-anniversary events in 2011 helped secure the No. 9 spot for Universal's Japanese park, which mixes the best elements from its Orlando and Hollywood counterparts and features crowd-pleasing rides (Jaws) and shows (“Shrek's 4-D Adventure”). Watch for attendance to skyrocket when the Wizarding World of Harry Potter opens in 2014.

Islands of Adventure (Photo: stephen searle / Alamy)
10) Islands of Adventure, Universal Orlando, FL

Annual Visitors: 7,674,000

Catapulting ahead of Disney California Adventure and into the top 10 for the first time has given Universal execs newfound bragging rights. And with an expansion of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in the works, don't expect attendance to slacken anytime soon."

El Grupo

I don't think you will see any high end action in any park ( with the exception of mine train) during these next three years.
Disney isn't in any rush to build, they will talk about it all day...but green lighting something is completely different.

This is a fair and reasonable prediction based on the past with Disney management.

However, I have to disagree. I expect Iger will be gone well before his announced resignation date in 2015 and some key executives at Corp. will quickly follow. My guess is that folks at TDO realize that if they continue sitting on their hands, someone will show them the door sooner than later.

PurpleRose

I know I've said this before but what I REALLY want at DHS is Star Wars Land and a real Toontown. I too miss it being a real, working studio but I think those days are long past.

Oh, and leave the Beauty and the Beast stage show alone. I loves it. :)

CinematicFusion

This is a fair and reasonable prediction based on the past with Disney management.

However, I have to disagree. I expect Iger will be gone well before his announced resignation date in 2015 and some key executives at Corp. will quickly follow. My guess is that folks at TDO realize that if they continue sitting on their hands, someone will show them the door sooner than later.

Yeah, I'm not trying to be Debbie downer but I don't see from a business standpoint why Disney would be in such a rush to build. I can see if a new CEO came on board they would like to make their mark on the parks. Eisner did that with Splash mountain. But as of now, everything is just blue sky rumors. Disney has 100s of plans for their parks ready to go, all it needs is a green light.

I don't see from a financial basis Disney Orlando being in that much trouble to jump the gun and start building. They will take their time and then act. I don't see Disney starting anything until at the earliest 2014-15 as things stand now.

I hope they do come out tomorrow and say they are spending a combined 1.5 billion on Epcot,AK, and DHS....just don't see that type of investment coming anytime soon.
Hope I'm wrong.

cheezbat

they can go to war with Disney all they want....they have to, they don't have a choice. Disney is in the drivers seat and they aren't about to make sudden moves they don't need to make. They will make moves, but they aren't in a hurry.

They fixed California Adventure because it wasn't hitting the top 10 in parks....which is sad because it sits next to number 2 in the world. So Disney fixed California adventure.... Goodbye IOA....next year you are out of the top 10 most visited parks.

Just look at the top 10 most visited parks. IOA sits at number 10, 2 million visitors behind DHS. Universal Orlando doesn't even make the top 10.

Disney is in no hurry to build new rides in Orlando, people are still flocking to the Disney Orlando parks in comparison to the other parks in the world. There is no competition between Universal and Orlando as far as ticket sales go. If there is...Disney is beating Universal's right now. Not even close.

Why would Disney be in such a rush to spend billions on something already working. They just need to maintain the product they have. Keep the park clean and refurb rides.

They will let FLE ride for a few years and hype it up...and people will come. In three or four years from now, they will build something else.

Even the expansion of potter won't put universal ahead of DHS. Not talking about which park is better...I'm just talking about ticket sales....

"Four decades after opening, the Magic Kingdom is still the world’s No. 1 most popular theme park, working its pixie-dust charm on more than 17 million annual visitors.

But Mickey Mouse has some competition. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, which opened in the summer of 2010, single-handedly carried Islands of Adventure into the world's top 10. Theme parks in Asia are growing even faster.
The takeaway? If you build it, they will come—especially if you spend a boatload of money and create an experience that's, to use the industry's favorite buzzword, immersive. The latest and greatest new theme-park attractions are designed to pull us right into the story, whether we're engaging in an epic robot battle, soaking up the retro cars culture along Route 66, or downing pints of butterbeer with Hogwarts students.

Get the scoop on which other attractions and events are drawing crowds to the world’s most-visited theme parks.

1) Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World, FL

Annual Visitors: 17,142,000

In 2011, more than 17 million people visited the world's favorite theme park, eager for photos by iconic Cinderella's castle and a turn on rides like Pirates of the Caribbean and Splash Mountain. “It is what people think about when they think of Disney World,” explains Deb Wills, founder of AllEars.Net. A Disney character parade cuts through the park and heads down Main Street, USA, every afternoon, and a fireworks spectacular lights up the sky many nights. The makeover of Fantasyland is the big news for 2012.

Disneyland Park (Photo: Greg Balfour Evans / Alamy)
2) Disneyland Park, Anaheim, CA

Annual Visitors: 16,140,000

Disney's original theme park, opened in 1955, comes in a close second to its significantly larger counterpart in Orlando. Disneyland can boast about some of Walt's best original rides as well as the newly revamped Disney California Adventure next door—all the more reason to book an Anaheim vacation.

Tokyo Disneyland (Photo: 2011 Disney Enterprises, Inc.)
3) Tokyo Disneyland

Annual Visitors: 13,996,000

Though closed for a full month in 2011 following the tsunami, the 126-acre Japanese Disneyland still managed to pull in 14 million visitors. “It was a little bit surprising how strong this park did in the face of literal disaster,” says Robert Niles of Theme Park Insider. But maybe locals needed that Disney magic more than ever.

Tokyo Disney Sea (Photo: 2011 Disney Enterprises, Inc.)
4) Tokyo Disney Sea

Annual Visitors: 11,930,000

Attendance dropped 6 percent at Disney's unique marine-themed park, whose seven themed areas are replicas of some of the world's most scenic ports of call. Like Tokyo Disneyland, it was closed for a month in 2011 following Japan's earthquake and tsunami.

Disneyland Paris (Photo: Marcos Veiga / Alamy)
5) Disneyland, Disneyland Paris

Annual Visitors: 10,990,000

Europe's most popular theme park had a respectable 5 percent attendance bump amid a Continental recession. The park is heralding its 20th anniversary in 2012 with an elaborate nighttime light-and-sound show, a new carnival-style parade, and a meet-and-greet character train.

Epcot, Walt Disney World (Photo: Songquan Deng / Alamy)
6) Epcot, Walt Disney World, FL

Annual Visitors: 10,825,000

Disney's futuristic- and international-themed park fell one position last year as its attendance flatlined at 10.8 million visitors. Expect a surge in numbers when the feverishly anticipated major renovation of Test Track is completed this fall. Other top attractions include Soarin' and Mission: SPACE.

Animal Kingdom, Walt Disney World (Photo: M. Timothy O'Keefe / Alamy)
7) Animal Kingdom, Walt Disney World, FL

Annual Visitors: 9,783,000

This 500-acre homage to Africa is by far the largest of all Disney theme parks, re-creating a lush jungle area and savanna that is home to 1,700 animals from 250 species. The Expedition Everest coaster and Kilimanjaro Safaris often attract the biggest crowds.

Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World (Photo: M. Jeremy Pembrey / Alamy)
8) Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World, FL

Annual Visitors: 9,699,000

Disney's entertainment-themed park claimed the No. 8 spot for the second year running. Much of the credit goes to favorite thrill rides Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith, not to mention stunt-filled shows like “Lights, Motors, Action!”

Universal Studios Japan (Photo: Photo Japan / Alamy)
9) Universal Studios Japan, Osaka

Annual Visitors: 8,500,000

A chockablock calendar of 10th-anniversary events in 2011 helped secure the No. 9 spot for Universal's Japanese park, which mixes the best elements from its Orlando and Hollywood counterparts and features crowd-pleasing rides (Jaws) and shows (“Shrek's 4-D Adventure”). Watch for attendance to skyrocket when the Wizarding World of Harry Potter opens in 2014.

Islands of Adventure (Photo: stephen searle / Alamy)
10) Islands of Adventure, Universal Orlando, FL

Annual Visitors: 7,674,000

Catapulting ahead of Disney California Adventure and into the top 10 for the first time has given Universal execs newfound bragging rights. And with an expansion of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in the works, don't expect attendance to slacken anytime soon."

While you have some legitimate points and numbers, you're looking at a time where people are beginning to see the decline at WDW...I've heard attendance is basically down at every park except MK this year. Both Universal parks are doing well...and even though they aren't producing Disneys sized numbers, they've seen a large attendance increase as well as profit increase. If Disney keeps doing nothing for the next 3-5 years, while Sea World and Universal keep adding attractions, I see WDWs attendance slipping while the other resorts continue to see increases.

prberk

I understand your point about the potential promotional benefits of filming some shows at DHS. But, I have a tough time seeing Disney spend hundreds of millions on the Golden Oak Ranch studios expansion that is supposed to include an entire production campus with multiple soundstages and then reinvest in production in Florida.

Good point, but not everything is filmed in the L.A. area. They never put their hear and soul into promoting this studio, or it could have gotten work that areas like North Carolina have gotten. Even Petersburg, here in Virginia, has a working studio with a fake Oval Office set that gets used routinely. Of course Virginia attracts historical dramas.

But the majorly obvious use, I think, for DHS as a studio would be for live family and children's shows. The live audience is plentiful, as opposed to L.A., where they often have to stand around Grauman's Chinese Theatre and hand out tickets to ensure a full audience. And, of course the promotional benefits would be great.

Imagine this:
"And now, LIVE from Disney's Hollywood Studios at the Walt Disney World Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida, it's the Mickey Mouse Club!!" (Or whatever teen show it could be.) You could not find a more nature cross promotion and ready-to-go live audience. Same could work for a game show -- a real one! Or a Discovery type show LIVE from Epcot! I mean they even have the built-in hotel accommodations for guest stars.

Seems obvious to me. I just think that The Weatherman and the rest of the studios folks in L.A. have forgotten what they have over here with regard to entertainment television potential.

El Grupo

Yeah, I'm not trying to be Debbie downer but I don't see from a business standpoint why Disney would be in such a rush to build. I can see if a new CEO came on board they would like to make their mark on the parks. Eisner did that with Splash mountain. But as of now, everything is just blue sky rumors. Disney has 100s of plans for their parks ready to go, all it needs is a green light.

I don't see from a financial basis Disney Orlando being in that much trouble to jump the gun and start building. They will take their time and then act. I don't see Disney starting anything until at the earliest 2014-15 as things stand now.

I hope they do come out tomorrow and say they are spending a combined 1.5 billion on Epcot,AK, and DHS....just don't see that type of investment coming anytime soon.
Hope I'm wrong.

As you say, time will tell. If rumors are true about real concern coming from TDO and Burbank for the parks in Orlando, then I'm guessing that WDW is showing serious indications of underperformance just around the corner. There is only so much that can be covered with price increases and cutbacks.

I suspect some at TDO are seeing the writing on the wall, and it is leading to real anxiety about the challenges ahead Their key competitor in Orlando has been growing rapidly and continues pouring a considerable investment in high-profile additions.

At the present rate, Potter 2.0 could be nearing completion before FLE is finished. I cannot imagine that this fact is totally lost on Disney executives. They are probably realizing that they not only have to decide on a plan, but change their development strategy as well. Launching a major attraction in the typical 3-4 years after an announcement will leave DHS w/o anything new until 2016 or later (based on when construction starts). If some areas of WDW are beginning to feel the pain now, imagine how much of a hit they could experience by then if they continue to wait.

saxamoophone

There is no competition between Universal and Orlando as far as ticket sales go. If there is...Disney is beating Universal's right now. Not even close.

In 2011 Magic Kingdom attendance was up 1%. DAK up 1%. DHS up 1%. Epcot no change. Islands of Adventure was up 29% in 2011. In 2010 it was up 30.2% while everything but DAK dropped at WDW.

I'm sure IOA is taking away business from USF, SeaWorld, Gatorland, Busch Gardens, and Legoland.... but I'm pretty sure Disney isn't immune either ;).

And even if it isn't taking away any business, I'm sure DCA will show the same thing: Open up a MAJOR E-Ticket and business will go up. Maybe not as much, but a 5-10% bump is enough to pay for most E-Tickets. When you get to the 20.0%+ range you can talk new lands (Cars Land anyone?).

I understand them wanting to play it safe, but man is that boring, and just anti-American ;).

CinematicFusion

While you have some legitimate points and numbers, you're looking at a time where people are beginning to see the decline at WDW...I've heard attendance is basically down at every park except MK this year. Both Universal parks are doing well...and even though they aren't producing Disneys sized numbers, they've seen a large attendance increase as well as profit increase. If Disney keeps doing nothing for the next 3-5 years, while Sea World and Universal keep adding attractions, I see WDWs attendance slipping while the other resorts continue to see increases.

Hope I'm wrong, I just don't see it from a business standpoint. Disney doesn't need to do anything big. Their worst park is 2 million visitors ahead of universals best park. Disney can create something small immediately or be patient and create something big 3 years down the road. Disney is in the drivers seat...universal is not going to catch them.

California Adventure needed HUGE help...they weren't even in the top 10. Disneyland couldn't even help that park. Now...it's a great park.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Hope I'm wrong, I just don't see it from a business standpoint. Disney doesn't need to do anything big. Their worst park is 2 million visitors ahead of universals best park. Disney can create something small immediately or be patient and create something big 3 years down the road. Disney is in the drivers seat...universal is not going to catch them.

California Adventure needed HUGE help...they weren't even in the top 10. Disneyland couldn't even help that park. Now...it's a great park.

Yes, but how many guests does Disney have to loose before they start really hurting financially? They don't have to drop down to anywhere near Universals numbers for it to have a serious impact on the bottom line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom