DHS CARS LAND

NoChesterHester

I think the imagineers design and plan, then are required to hit a budget. That is where the creativity is pruned back.

Creativity is harnessed through constraints. The "budget" excuse is used far too often. For the budgets applied to most of these projects, even the small ones, not getting results should be inexcusable.

Turtle

It was said before, but Monsters Inc doesn't have the pull or the compelling environment on which to anchor a mega expansion.

I do agree that a unique solution could be done that would be just as good. Cars is the easy choice:
I believe Monsters has the most compelling environment of Pixar! Strolling through the monster streets and having monsters street-mosphere (which isn't too hard) is fantastic! For streetmosphere you can have eyes poking out of windows, monster cars parked, you can see the porch of Mike and Sulley's apartment, you can even have a monster-fied car go down the main street like Mater does in Radiator Springs!

invader

that is right that they're both shooters but IMO they feel different. Buzz has more of a story of taking down Zurg and you go into space and you see physical sets, Midway is just spinning in front of a screen. Both are fantastic, and both feel different IMO.

You must be on some strong Pixar pixie dust.

Turtle

You must be on some strong Pixar pixie dust.
haha i do love pixar, but even before my pixar fanaticness grew (last year) i still thought they were different experiences. do you think that midway and space ranger spin feel the same? Put away the fact that it's the same ride system

NoChesterHester

I believe Monsters has the most compelling environment of Pixar! Strolling through the monster streets and having monsters street-mosphere (which isn't too hard) is fantastic! For streetmosphere you can have eyes poking out of windows, monster cars parked, you can see the porch of Mike and Sulley's apartment, you can even have a monster-fied car go down the main street like Mater does in Radiator Springs!

I get what you are saying, but in my opinion the monsters make the Monstropolis environment, not the environment itself. It is pretty, well ordinary except with the silly monster gags.

Perhaps the prequel will introduce us to something new.

Turtle

I get what you are saying, but in my opinion the monsters make the Monstropolis environment, not the environment itself. It is pretty, well ordinary except with the silly monster gags.

Perhaps the prequel will introduce us to something new.

ohh yeah i get'cha .. maybe we can get something next-gen like Lucky The Dinosaur with animatronic monsters roaming the street? :D

flynnibus

Premium Member
The last line says it all. Disney had plans to do something completely different and unique in Florida. I don't want to get into an argument over this.

He didn't say 'completely different' - he said it needed to be unique. Different ideas there.

He didn't 'need the money' - the idea of putting in a theme park was to make the project seem more viable and safer to commit to. The idea of a theme park (MK) wasn't built to fund WDW.. it was included in the WDW plan to make the project seem viable and desirable to outsiders. It was part of the 'bait' to get WDW the legislation they wanted, and the support for the project. Building it first was a compromise agreed to make the project viable.

Don't forget Disney had been searching for years on a place to build another Disneyland-style park. Don't misconstrued 'there will never be another Disneyland..' comment to mean he would never do another park of that style again. It means there will never be one to replace what Disneyland was.. the first of its kind, the beloved, etc.

It's like loving your child and saying 'There will never be another like raven24...' - it doesn't mean you won't have another child.. it means no other child can replace in your heart what raven24 was to you.

Rasvar

Too bad Tron:Legacy didn't do better. RSR technology with the Tron environment. Although it sounds like they are doing a pseudo version of this with test track based on the art work. The problem is that there are hundreds of different ways to leverage the technology with not a huge additional cost. What it requires is to actually have some creativity to give it a good story and theme. That part of the process is not all that expensive but you have to have the right team in place to be able to create it.

Californian Elitist

He didn't say 'completely different' - he said it needed to be unique. Different ideas there.

He didn't 'need the money' - the idea of putting in a theme park was to make the project seem more viable and safer to commit to. The idea of a theme park (MK) wasn't built to fund WDW.. it was included in the WDW plan to make the project seem viable and desirable to outsiders. It was part of the 'bait' to get WDW the legislation they wanted, and the support for the project. Building it first was a compromise agreed to make the project viable.

Don't forget Disney had been searching for years on a place to build another Disneyland-style park. Don't misconstrued 'there will never be another Disneyland..' comment to mean he would never do another park of that style again. It means there will never be one to replace what Disneyland was.. the first of its kind, the beloved, etc.

It's like loving your child and saying 'There will never be another like raven24...' - it doesn't mean you won't have another child.. it means no other child can replace in your heart what raven24 was to you.

Ok.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But it is also the difference between being a private company, as it was when Walt had it versus a public company.

It was a public company during Walt's time too - for the majority of it's time actually. And Walt was much more under the gun to his bankers then the company is today. But it's not about public vs private.. it's more about what is expected from public companies today in the open market, digital exchange era, vs what was expected of companies back in the 40-60s.

Rasvar

It was a public company during Walt's time too - for the majority of it's time actually. And Walt was much more under the gun to his bankers then the company is today. But it's not about public vs private.. it's more about what is expected from public companies today in the open market, digital exchange era, vs what was expected of companies back in the 40-60s.
I did correct that in a post a little later. But it is still the same thing, thinking was more long term year to year then instead of quarter to quarter as they are now. That was really more my point and I made it poorly.

ImagineerDude

Hmm...with all these ideas floating around the forums Disney should have a sweepstakes in which you get to stay in the Cinderella Castld Suite AND design an addition to each theme park with no budget! TDO ain't going to let that happen let alone anything else :p

Rasvar

Hmm...with all these ideas floating around the forums Disney should have a sweepstakes in which you get to stay in the Cinderella Castld Suite AND design an addition to each theme park with no budget! TDO ain't going to let that happen let alone anything else :p

I understand what you are saying. I know what is likely going to happen. All my complaining here is not going to change it. I just simply disagree with the business decisions being made. If I was in charge, I would do things differently. I'm not. I will never be but I can dream big.

voodoo321

Agreed, and we all know Cars in DHS is all about making money so we come full circle. Walt cloned rides in FL to make money. Current management is cloning rides in FL to make money.
Time's are different, sadly. Development, involving creative projects done to make a profit, and yes Walt was very interested in turning a profit, are so scrutinized over, over-researched with technical data, marketing trends and invented variables, that creativity, uniqueness, and difference-making is lost. There are so many facets to answer to that a project that started out as mind-blowing and page-turning or just plain flat good, turns out to be watered down, with as many "safety measures" infused as possible. Appeasing the ones looking at quarterly profits.
Walt, though he wasn't immune to some of this, could just somewhat say "MAKE THAT. THAT'S COOL. PEOPLE WILL LOVE IT". That is very rare in today's corporate reality.

Adam5897

It was said before, but Monsters Inc doesn't have the pull or the compelling environment on which to anchor a mega expansion.

I do agree that a unique solution could be done that would be just as good. Cars is the easy choice:

I'm not too pickey on what is is themed by but I just think that something new is really what needs to be done. Because Pixar has so many great movies they can re-create the success of Carsland with the same benefits but with a different idea and theme. That's what I have always thought. Copies=laziness. And I have never been to Disneyland an I go to wdw frequently an I don't want DHS to get carsland, that's how much I am against cloning

doctornick

So, any insiders want to venture a guess as to when we might hear something official about RSR or Carsland at DHS? Or is this far away from being announced?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Disney to announce CARSastrophe Canyon. You ride along with Tow Mater trying to pull Lightning McQueen out of danger of an earthquake, fire and flood. Ride duration, 45 seconds.

(the above post is satire and I've been drinking too much sake)

WDW1974

Thanks, I didn't want to read 45 pages of posts!

No one could blame you.

I do blame Lightbulb. I think he may have had a short circuit when he started the thread ... 'cause nothing has been decided and this insanity continues.

Look, I understand that WDW is basically stale, neglected and boring as hell these days (getting off the Pixie Dust makes people honest), but when there's nothing to talk about you just don't keep going back and forth ... let's talk about how wonderful Twitter is instead ... BTW, anyone here own FB stock?:D

WDW1974

The appeal for RSR has largely been the impressive animatronics, the very things that are breaking.

I will be royally ed and you will be reading about it if the attraction isn't working to at least 98% of what it should be when I arrive in mere days ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom