DHS CARS LAND

Californian Elitist

A park similar to Disneyland in Disney World was always a part of the plan. Walt Disney mentions it in the film about the Florida project.

Actually the reason why MK was built was because they needed money to build Epcot. I'll say it again, Walt Disney said there would never be another Disneyland.

Here's the exact quote:

"I've always said that there will never be another Disneyland, and I think it's going to work out that way. But it will be the equivalent of Disneyland. We know the basic things that have family appeal. There are many ways that you can use those certain basic things and give them a new decor, a new treatment. This concept here will have to be something that is unique, so there is a distinction between Disneyland in California and whatever Disney does in Florida."

The last line says it all. Disney had plans to do something completely different and unique in Florida. I don't want to get into an argument over this.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Walt Disney had nothing to do with WDW, including Magic Kingdom. He said there would never be another Disneyland. He wanted Epcot.
Sorry, but not true. Walt was heavily involved with the planning of the FL project, including MK. He died before the construction began, but was heavily involved in planning. He wanted to correct the flaws of Disneyland by making sure they had enough space to expand and grow. There is a famous story where Walt saw a Frontierland cowboy walking through Tomorrowland at Disneyland and was annoyed that it ruined the Futuristic theming so he insisted that MK have underground tunnels for cast members to get around. Due to the water table in FL they couldn't build underground tunnels so the tunnels are at ground level and the entire MK is one story up. All Walt's planning. If you don't believe me google Walt Disney and Magic Kingdom or Disney World.

Adam5897

Actually the reason why MK was built was because they needed money to build Epcot. I'll say it again, Walt Disney said there would never be another Disneyland.

Here's the exact quote:

"I've always said that there will never be another Disneyland, and I think it's going to work out that way. But it will be the equivalent of Disneyland. We know the basic things that have family appeal. There are many ways that you can use those certain basic things and give them a new decor, a new treatment. This concept here will have to be something that is unique, so there is a distinction between Disneyland in California and whatever Disney does in Florida."

The last line says it all. Disney had plans to do something completely different and unique in Florida. I don't want to get into an argument over this.

Finally someone understands the intent for the Florida project. People always say "this isn't what Walt would want" but then they say they want clones. I just don't get it.

Californian Elitist

Sorry, but not true. Walt was heavily involved with the planning of the FL project, including MK. He died before the construction began, but was heavily involved in planning. He wanted to correct the flaws of Disneyland by making sure they had enough space to expand and grow. There is a famous story where Walt saw a Frontierland cowboy walking through Tomorrowland at Disneyland and was annoyed that it ruined the Futuristic theming so he insisted that MK have underground tunnels for cast members to get around. Due to the water table in FL they couldn't build underground tunnels so the tunnels are at ground level and the entire MK is one story up. All Walt's planning. If you don't believe me google Walt Disney and Magic Kingdom or Disney World.

You don't have to apologize. Yes, enough space and land for Epcot. He needed money for Epcot and the way he was going to get it was to build another gate that resembled Disneyland. He had no plans on building another Disneyland, but he had to to fund his plans for Epcot.

Adam5897

Yes he corrected problems, but the biggest project and focus was Epcot. Which is kind of sad because of how run down ad dated it is.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Here's the exact quote:

Rides in MK and Disneyland:

Dumbo
Tea cups
Snow White
Peter Pan
Small World
Space Mountain

That is all that I can think of off the top of my head. Sure there are a lot of unique rides in each park, but the idea that Walt would be appalled by cloning a ride from one park to another is hard to sell when he did it himself with MK.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You don't have to apologize. Yes, enough space and land for Epcot. He needed money for Epcot and the way he was going to get it was to build another gate that resembled Disneyland. He had no plans on building another Disneyland, but he had to to fund his plans for Epcot.
Yes. He wanted to build EPCOT. I'm not disputing that. He still cloned rides from DL just like Eisner and now the current management. It's nothing new.

Californian Elitist

Rides in MK and Disneyland:

Dumbo
Tea cups
Snow White
Peter Pan
Small World
Space Mountain

That is all that I can think of off the top of my head. Sure there are a lot of unique rides in each park, but the idea that Walt would be appalled by cloning a ride from one park to another is hard to sell when he did it himself with MK.

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. Yes, there were duplicates. The only reason why he made a Disneyland style park in Florida, aka MK, was because he needed money. That's it. If you're going to build a park based on another, might as well put in the same rides.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Yes he corrected problems, but the biggest project and focus was Epcot. Which is kind of sad because of how run down ad dated it is.

Well not really, because the Epcot we see today had nothing at all to do with his vision of EPCOT the city. Yes, they put in a few homages, like the world showcase and getting corporate sponsorship involved...besides that the ENTIRE project was different.

Turtle

Back to DHS! I think an UP jungle playset can be really cool even though it takes more construction than a Bug's Life overlay. Look at this jungle and say you won't wanna see it! I think that it should be a lot more interactive than the current HISTK with a Kevin animatronic popping out of the bushes every 10 minutes or hearing the dogs running around. And also put a small Flik's Flyers themed to UP with furniture tied to balloons next to the playground. You can even make a force-perspective facade of the house on top of the water-fall!

EDIT: UP fits a lot better because Bug's Life is already represented in the tree of life and it would be weird with two different bugs life attractions in two different parks that are so similar.

NoChesterHester

Back to DHS! I think an UP jungle playset can be really cool even though it takes more construction than a Bug's Life overlay. Look at this jungle and say you won't wanna see it! I think that it should be a lot more interactive than the current HISTK with a Kevin animatronic popping out of the bushes every 10 minutes or hearing the dogs running around. And also put a small Flik's Flyers themed to UP with furniture tied to balloons next to the playground. You can even make a force-perspective facade of the house on top of the water-fall!

Bugs Life is one of the few Pixar Movies that hasn't stood the test of time. It is very forgettable. I'd love to see Up, my favorite Pixar movie, in it's place.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. Yes, there were duplicates. The only reason why he made a Disneyland style park in Florida, aka MK, was because he needed money. That's it. If you're going to build a park based on another, might as well put in the same rides.
I here what you are saying. I was responding to this post:

I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things.-Walt Disney
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/w/walt_disney.html#rZ2PLGYkYJxuYgRm.99

The quote says it all.
Although this is a quote from Walt Disney I don't think you can say he would be against cloning rides from one park to the other since he did it himself. We both agree on that. The reason for cloning is irrelevant.

Californian Elitist

Although this is a quote from Walt Disney I don't think you can say he would be against cloning rides from one park to the other since he did it himself. We both agree on that. The reason for cloning is irrelevant.

Oooohhh. Ok then.

I think just because the MK was created, doesn't mean Disney wasn't against it. It doesn't matter anyway, because Disney does it now and they don't care what we think.

Adam5897

I don't think he was against it but I think he really leaned towards new ideas and new experiences.

misterID

Oooohhh. Ok then.

I think just because the MK was created, doesn't mean Disney wasn't against it. It doesn't matter anyway, because Disney does it now and they don't care what we think.

Sure they do. We wanted Dreamfinder and Horizons back, and they were good enough to put them on t-shirts, pins, mugs, everything but an actual attraction and then overcharge us for them. They care what we think!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom