DHS CARS LAND

RSoxNo1

I am curious why these are breaking, is it sotfware issues, programming issues or just the overall animatronics themselves? Kind of curious to find out what problems they have been having
Well I know the toppling tractors haven't been toppling, the vehicle that pops out after the tractors hasn't been popping out, and I just read today that Doc Hudson has been static for a few days.

montyz81

The appeal for RSR has largely been the impressive animatronics, the very things that are breaking.
You don't think it is the speed? No automobileanimatronics on TT and people flocked to it. Sounds like a new RSR effects status watch post will be coming soon!

Buried20KLeague

So, what have we learned?

Per 74, TDO execs are running scared because they've been living off of fumes, haven't invested properly in attractions, their competitors are eating their lunch, and attendance and merchandise sales are down. They need to build a winner. And fast.

Per whylightbulb, I'm assuming bid requests, or preliminary conversations about the same, are going out to the industry in central Florida which would point to Carsland being built at DHS.

There seems to be the belief amongst other insiders (notably Lee) that we may see RSR and perhaps a shop but not the full Carsland. Given what we know about how (the spending averse) TDO typically operates, that certainly would make sense.

But if TDO is collectively puckering, why wouldn't they want....in fact, demand....the full Carsland experience? The vast majority of the full implementation is merchandise and dining. The two things TDO will want most to bolster their bottom line.

Bucking the conventional wisdow, I'd be truly surprised if the "full" Carsland isn't dropped into DHS (with Luigi's being the only notable exception).

I'm wondering if sending ONLY RSR and not the whole land might be a way to appease Uncle John. The only way to get the full experience would be to go out West. It might be the only way to get him to sign off on the whole idea.

Then in exchange for not getting the whole town, slap the door coaster in SS1 as has been (apparently) on the table for years.

Buried20KLeague

You don't think it is the speed? No automobileanimatronics on TT and people flocked to it. Sounds like a new RSR effects status watch post will be coming soon!

RSR is actually FAR slower than TT. It's been said that it was a mandate from Uncle John. He thought giving people the opportunity to take in the details and rockwork around you was more important than hitting 64.7 mph.

phi2134

Well I know the toppling tractors haven't been toppling, the vehicle that pops out after the tractors hasn't been popping out, and I just read today that Doc Hudson has been static for a few days.

It just honestly baffles me how they could sink all this money into the ride and not come up with some type of dependable system to keep these things working. I would have suspected that by now someone could have come up with something that could last.

RSoxNo1

What interests me is how they would go about unifying/blending the different themes of the Pixar moves. There's already a transition built in for a Monster's Inc area, but transitioning into Carsland is going to be tougher.

Californian Elitist

It just honestly baffles me how they could sink all this money into the ride and not come up with some type of dependable system to keep these things working. I would have suspected that by now someone could have come up with something that could last.

Have you seen the show scenes for RSR? It's very high tech and one can easily tell it takes a lot of maintenance to keep this ride up. Combine that with the thousands of people that ride each day, a breakdown/effect not working is expected. The problem will be fixed sooner than later.

phi2134

Have you seen the show scenes for RSR? It's very high tech and one can easily tell it takes a lot of maintenance to keep this ride up. Combine that with the thousands of people that ride each day, a breakdown/effect not working is expected. The problem will be fixed sooner than later.

I have seen the effects, but it I am curious as to what the problem is. I know they are high tech and have a lot of moving parts that sync with the video and sound.

ChrisM

I'm wondering if sending ONLY RSR and not the whole land might be a way to appease Uncle John. The only way to get the full experience would be to go out West. It might be the only way to get him to sign off on the whole idea.

Obviously we have all heard the rumblings about his wanting to keep it exclusive to DCA. Admittedly, this whole concept baffles me.

I've been involved in a huge number of creative endeavors in my life, and my only pause about "copying" one of my creations would be in ensuring it was as high fidelity of an implementation as possible...or, if it was to be altered, that it have it's own unique flavor.

Frankly, if I created Carsland I wouldn't fight it being copied for other parts of the world - I'd want it to be exposed to as many people as possible. But I would be dead set against only part of it being implemented somewhere else (like just building RSR). That would bastardize my creation. In short, I don't really understand the whole "Uncle John wants to protect Carsland" line of thinking. It sounds to me like appeasing him would be even worse.

jensenrick

I read that the Cadillac Range at RSR is approximately 125' high, that's roughly 75' shorter than ToT. I really don't see a height issue with it.

And isn't this about the same height as Catastrophe Canyon is now? Not seeing a problem with that at all. If they don't bring the entire Carland, I will be deeply disappointed in the short-sightedness that would represent.

Scuttle

What interests me is how they would go about unifying/blending the different themes of the Pixar moves. There's already a transition built in for a Monster's Inc area, but transitioning into Carsland is going to be tougher.

Much tougher. It's going to take space and a lot of it.

phi2134

And isn't this about the same height as Catastrophe Canyon is now? Not seeing a problem with that at all. If they don't bring the entire Carland, I will be deeply disappointed in the short-sightedness that would represent.

I would think that catasrophe canyon is a lot shorter, maybe around 40-50 feet. WHen you go around back to look at the inner workings, I feel like there would be a 4-5 story building comparison

Californian Elitist

I have seen the effects, but it I am curious as to what the problem is. I know they are high tech and have a lot of moving parts that sync with the video and sound.

I'm guessing it's all the people. The wait time is almost never under two hours and it never catches a break. I really don't know, I'm just guessing. It could be anything, but I'm not worrying about it because it's a brand new ride and it takes a lot for the ride to be kept up.

jensenrick

So, what have we learned?

Per 74, TDO execs are running scared because they've been living off of fumes, haven't invested properly in attractions, their competitors are eating their lunch, and attendance and merchandise sales are down. They need to build a winner. And fast.

Per whylightbulb, I'm assuming bid requests, or preliminary conversations about the same, are going out to the industry in central Florida which would point to Carsland being built at DHS.

There seems to be the belief amongst other insiders (notably Lee) that we may see RSR and perhaps a shop but not the full Carsland. Given what we know about how (the spending averse) TDO typically operates, that certainly would make sense.

But if TDO is collectively puckering, why wouldn't they want....in fact, demand....the full Carsland experience? The vast majority of the full implementation is merchandise and dining. The two things TDO will want most to bolster their bottom line.

Bucking the conventional wisdow, I'd be truly surprised if the "full" Carsland isn't dropped into DHS (with Luigi's being the only notable exception).

THIS!!! Oh please, oh please, oh higher power, let TDO finally grow a brain and see the wisdom of this and bring ALL of Carsland.
Amen.

djlaosc

The main problem for having RSR as part of Pixar Place is that the Backlot Tour entrance is in the middle of the two areas. If they could somehow move the entrance for the Backlot Tour to where the LMA queue currently is (so that would be removing the Water Tank and the AFI Showcase) then it would be one complete area.

If they did this, and if they were just having RSR, could they not just build another archway, have the same pattern on the Monsters Inc side as the current TSMM/MI archway, and on the other side have a "tire pile" look to them? Then, have another soundstage building (like TSMM and the MIDC site) to hold the RSR queue, and have RSR on the other side of the soundstage?

I'm not saying that it would be the nicest looking option, or even one that I would necessarily want, but having another soundstage building for the RSR queue would solve the theme issues, especially if RSR was hidden behind Streets of America facades...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom