DHS CARS LAND

doctornick

I don't think it would overwhelm it at all.
Assuming RSR takes over the LMA spot, the rock work would only be visible from parts of Pixar Place and streets of America.
A direct lift of RSR wouldn't surprise me at all. All of Carsland...that would be the surprise.

This makes sense to me.

Lee, do you have any idea if anything else is being greenlit for the short term at DHS? Monsters, Inc ride?

Lee

Adventurer
Lee do you think other Pixar attractions could be built with RSR. Or would RSR be it?
This makes sense to me.

Lee, do you have any idea if anything else is being greenlit for the short term at DHS? Monsters, Inc ride?

Everything is perfectly unclear at the moment.

If I had to bet right now, I'd go with Martin's guess. RSR and a Monsters ride in Stage 1.

terp79

What I find interesting is that RSR was originally designed by WDI for DHS!!!! Imagineers thought this attraction would be a better fit when wanting to expand the studios way back in 2006/2007. I even know the model existed and someone who has posted in this thread saw it with their own two eyes. It wasn't until the great DCA makeover that the attraction was made bigger and better and moved from the intended east coast to the west.

I share similar feelings towards cloned attractions and cloned technology for that matter. Who knows maybe they'll put that patented concept for the racing cars that actually pass one another into play????

What I find interesting is that RSR was originally designed by WDI for DHS!!!! Imagineers thought this attraction would be a better fit when wanting to expand the studios way back in 2006/2007. I even know the model existed and someone who has posted in this thread saw it with their own two eyes. It wasn't until the great DCA makeover that the attraction was made bigger and better and moved from the intended east coast to the west.
Shut the front door! :eek:

Is this true? This is certainly the first time I hear of this... but it makes everything that much more interesting...

SirLink

Everything is perfectly unclear at the moment.

If I had to bet right now, I'd go with Martin's guess. RSR and a Monsters ride in Stage 1.

I'm taking it that we don't know if they are taking a piecemeal approach for DHS exapnsion or one large "announce it all" Extreme Makeover Themepark Edition yet?

LongtimeReader

I adore the expansive Cars Land in DCA, but if just getting RSR and Cadillac Range means that leaves cash for another Pixar addition to finish out Pixar Place (MI or Ratatouille), I call that a win. The atmosphere would still be swell, the town of RS is represented in the ride anyway, and the only attraction loss is the Mater spinner. The flying tires/saucers are clearly going to be axed for another 50 years.

Skipper Dan

I don't think it would overwhelm it at all.
Assuming RSR takes over the LMA spot, the rock work would only be visible from parts of Pixar Place and streets of America.
A direct lift of RSR wouldn't surprise me at all. All of Carsland...that would be the surprise.

Lee, you know I love you buddy, and respect your opinion, but man I just don't get this mentality. I mean, I guess I do, because it's TDO we're talking about, and '$', but still, hear me out...

If you take the entire Cars Land, flip it - as they've done in the past with attractions like BTMR - and lay it overtop of the are in question, it bumps rights up against where Pixar Place ends, and just looks like a 'duh'. If they just remove LMA, and only add RSR, it leaves this huge, obvious gap between a Pixar based attraction, and a Pixar Land - which isn't much of one at the moment. That isn't logical, and I'd bet that somebody down there with half a brain - maybe this Kathy lady - knows that!

It only makes sense. You walk down Pixar Place, and at the end, stars Radiator Springs...

jt04

Lee, you know I love you buddy, and respect your opinion, but man I just don't get this mentality. I mean, I guess I do, because it's TDO we're talking about, and '$', but still, hear me out...

If you take the entire Cars Land, flip it - as they've done in the past with attractions like BTMR - and lay it overtop of the are in question, it bumps rights up against where Pixar Place ends, and just looks like a 'duh'. If they just remove LMA, and only add RSR, it leaves this huge, obvious gap between a Pixar based attraction, and a Pixar Land - which isn't much of one at the moment. That isn't logical, and I'd bet that somebody down there with half a brain - maybe this Kathy lady - knows that!

It only makes sense. You walk down Pixar Place, and at the end, stars Radiator Springs...

Here is my thought of what they could do. You walk down Pixar Place and enter Monstopolis "Square". There you find a relocated Laugh Floor, several shops, Monsters Inc Coaster in Stage 1 and enclosed counter service. Also, immersive M&G's which are more and more popular. This expansion gets you to the point where you are closer to where the LMA is. It also meshes with the SoA in the other direction. All that would be required is a transition as you exit the city into the desert where you find Radiator Springs. Something like that. This would also leave plenty of expansion area for future Pixar content once the Back Lot tour goes.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Here is my thought of what they could do. You walk down Pixar Place and enter Monstopolis "Square". There you find a relocated Laugh Floor, several shops, Monsters Inc Coaster in Stage 1 and enclosed counter service. Also, immersive M&G's which are more and more popular. This expansion gets you to the point where you are closer to where the LMA is. It also meshes with the SoA in the other direction. All that would be required is a transition as you exit the city into the desert where you find Radiator Springs. Something like that. This would also leave plenty of expansion area for future Pixar content once the Back Lot tour goes.
That actually sounds like a pretty good idea. It would flow nicely.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I never said rockwork would not be part of the attraction. Certainly it will. What I have said is there is no way they will duplicate what was done at DCA. People here have no ability evidently to conceptualize how it would overwhelm the park. I just do not see that happening. When and if they do something with the franchise at WDW it could be a radically different application. Simple as that. No way an exact clone is happening at DHS IMO. Time will tell.

The rockwork at DCA doesn't overwhelm the rest of the park, why would it in DHS?

phi2134

Yep. Plus the extra floor for Orlando.

What exactly are they doing with an extra floor? Does the ride have two levels now or is it just for the queue or the building?

If they actually have an elevator system for the ride vehicle (which I believe i heard they were putting in footers for) I think that would be pretty incredible to have the ride do that, I am in by no means taking away from this ride, I just think Universal has had this planned out a lot more than Disney. I think they had the Orlando plans all along and sped up production as soon as they felt pressure.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What exactly are they doing with an extra floor? Does the ride have two levels now or is it just for the queue or the building?

If they actually have an elevator system for the ride vehicle (which I believe i heard they were putting in footers for) I think that would be pretty incredible to have the ride do that, I am in by no means taking away from this ride, I just think Universal has had this planned out a lot more than Disney. I think they had the Orlando plans all along and sped up production as soon as they felt pressure.
As I understand it, the majority of the line and pre show, plus maintenance, will be in a sub level. The middle floor will be unload and load plus show, and the top level show. Both other versions have the split floor with duel elevator layout too. I also understand several show additions are being considered for Orlando.

jt04

The rockwork at DCA doesn't overwhelm the rest of the park, why would it in DHS?

It is much further away then it would be at DHS. The scale was designed specifically for DCA. It is not just the height of the rockwork but especially width of the mountain range. It would appear to go on forever if located near the LMA and there would be few places at DHS where you would not be aware it is there. You are supposed to be in an idealized Hollywood, and seeing desert scenes from all over the park would destroy sightlines. Far beyond those caused by the BAH

It would have to be radically reimagined to fit DHS.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It is much further away then it would be at DHS. The scale was designed specifically for DCA. It is not just the height of the rockwork but especially width of the mountain range. It would appear to go on forever if located near the LMA and there would be few places at DHS where you would not be aware it is there. You are supposed to be in an idealized Hollywood, and seeing desert scenes from all over the park would destroy sightlines. Far beyond those caused by the BAH

It would have to be radically reimagined to fit DHS.

Further away from what? In both parks it is/would be right up against existing areas of the park. Looking the areial views it could be argued that it will work better in DHS since it's a longer and thinner park then DCA so there are parts of the park that will be much further away from it in DHS and then in DCA. I see no reason to believe it would be more visible in DHS then it is in DCA.

jt04

Further away from what? In both parks it is/would be right up against existing areas of the park. Looking the areial views it could be argued that it will work better in DHS since it's a longer and thinner park then DCA so there are parts of the park that will be much further away from it in DHS and then in DCA. I see no reason to believe it would be more visible in DHS then it is in DCA.

It is all about angles and as I said the design was specifically crafted for DCA. For instance, if the same mountain range was placed at DHS when you approached the entry gates the mountain range would be visible from many angles and utterly destroy the forced perspective of the HB buildings. The rockwork would be much closer to the front of the park than it is at DCA. Why are so many people so obsessed with wanting an exact clone anyway????? Usually people are saying that is the last thing they want. Something makes no sense about this line of thought. Seems like people just want an argument.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It is all about angles and as I said the design was specifically crafted for DCA. For instance, if the same mountain range was placed at DHS when you approached the entry gates the mountain range would be visible from many angles and utterly destroy the forced perspective of the HB buildings. The rockwork would be much closer to the front of the park than it is at DCA. Why are so many people so obsessed with wanting an exact clone anyway????? Usually people are saying that is the last thing they want. Something makes no sense about this line of thought. Seems like people just want an argument.

Doing some measurements in Google Earth, at DCA the big part of the rock work is 2197ft from the front gate, and best I can remember you can't see it form the gate. In DHS, depending on how they orient things, the rock work will be aounrd 2567ft from the front gate.

I am not arguing, we are having a discussion about the visibility of rock work in both parks, something that is pretty objective.

jt04

Doing some measurements in Google Earth, at DCA the big part of the rock work is 2197ft from the front gate, and best I can remember you can't see it form the gate. In DHS, depending on how they orient things, the rock work will be aounrd 2567ft from the front gate.

I am not arguing, we are having a discussion about the visibility of rock work in both parks, something that is pretty objective.

Could be why they placed the Carthay building as they did. They also had GP and possibly ToT as shields. I have never been to DCA so I do not know how the sightlines are set up. It is likely that the monorail track also limits views of the horizon as the castle walls will at the FLE. Point is, it was designed specifically for that park and I stand by my contention that it would not work at DHS. It would have to be reimagined.

I notice you did not address my confusion as to why so many people are arguing for an exact clone when usually people argue against clones. Very odd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom