DHS CARS LAND

devoy1701

Or the ENTIRE EPCOT?

touche...but I was trying to hone in on Tim's comment regarding rockwork. MK was built in a little over a year, Epcot built in about 3...and this attraction is taking 5. I get that labor laws and regulation have become more constrictive over the past 40 years, but I still think they're dragging this out unnecessarily. But I wanted to attempt to get an apples to apples comparison by looking at it against some of the other mountains that had extensive rockwork.

Bolna

They did. They even had a tram tour that showed you the pedestrian accessible theme park. A lesson for the bigger topic. Sometimes cloning makes sense, other times it is just silly and ignores the differences between places.

Hey, I am sure in Europe that would have been a great success - I am always amazed that the Disneyland Railroad at DLP gets regularly longer lines than Space Mountain...

TalkingHead

They did. They even had a tram tour that showed you the pedestrian accessible theme park. A lesson for the bigger topic. Sometimes cloning makes sense, other times it is just silly and ignores the differences between places.

Just curious, since this thread is no longer about Carsland, how long did the tram tour run at Universal Orlando? You could say Uni wised up and nixed theirs, while Disney still has theirs 20+ years later.

PurpleRose

Just curious, since this thread is no longer about Carsland, how long did the tram tour run at Universal Orlando? You could say Uni wised up and nixed theirs, while Disney still has theirs 20+ years later.

I did the tram ride in....1994? I think? '93 or '94. It's been so long...I remember when we went, we saw them film a scene from Seaquest, if that rings a bell for anyone. It closed in 1995, I believe.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Transformers is not as immensely themed/sculpted as the seven dwarves mountain will be. Its more of just a buidling with rooms/queue and then the ride going through it with screens and their ride system. The 7DMT will take longer because they are sculpting the inside and outside of a mountain as well as installing a roller coaster within it. I am guessing this will be done in a few stages which each take a certain amount of time...Creating the frame for the structures, installing the track, building the rest of the mountain and then themeing and landscaping everything, not to mention getting the inside set pieces created.

Its easy to create a ride when you already have one prove like spiderman to rely on for effects and the ride system.
Please... I know about how 7D will look and run than most do here.
No offence but it shouldn't take 3 years. And don't under estimate the complexities of TF Orlando.

misterID

Residential Street was a lot more impressive to me until Dave Smith let it out of the bag that the houses weren't even the real ones used on film. They were replicas of the fake houses...explain that one to me.

The tour hasn't been good since the mid 1990s.

It would be cool if they turned the whole Backlot Tour into a tour of Pixarland. Really, the opportunities are endless if they're going to keep it along with RSR.

TimeTrip

The backlot tour would take you through facilities such as costuming (used both for films and attractions), a special effects scene called Catastrophe Canyon, and you would go down a street called Residential Street which had houses such as the one used in Golden Girls, and would drive down New York Street.

I don't recall it actually going down New York Street. Instead I thought it went by an arch they had setup (where the turnaround for the tram is now) at the end of the street telling you to take photos when passing by the arch to get a good example of forced perspective sets.

Also, I kind of remember there being a blue/green screen sequence when entering the first building where a volunteer got to hop on a robotic bee and pretend he/she was in a scene from HISTK. I also recall that the soundstages were rarely in use during those tours. A lot of "here is where we could film this or that".

BTW along the way of writing this post, I stumbled across this old "map" of MGM studios where the big hidden mickey in the middle of the studios is very obvious:
http://www.studioscentral.com/image...member-mappre-lights-motors-action-stunt-show

TimeTrip

It will be a whole Carsland minus luigis tires,take that to the bank. I love how you state opinion as fact. If you thought before you typed I bet you wouldn't have your posts. Are you as sure as you were about DTD?
What he meant to say was this :)

"But not with the mountain range you see at DCA (on that scale), unless it comes with the mountain range you see at DCA (on that scale). Take it to the bank."

muteki

Or the ENTIRE EPCOT?

So you construct 7D in 2 1/2 years but with six more months of work we would get an entire park?

I have for a while been thinking the construction time for the mine train (FLE in general, really) has more to do with clever accounting than a lack of ability or regulation. Just conjecture on my part though. I think they could build it quicker if they wanted to.

jt04

It will be a whole Carsland minus luigis tires,take that to the bank. I love how you state opinion as fact. If you thought before you typed I bet you wouldn't have your posts. Are you as sure as you were about DTD?

Aren't you doing what you accuse me of? Proof please. Otherwise I am left to believe you are stating opinion as fact.

I clearly stated it is my opinion and I still do not believe we will see the rockwork from DCA cloned at DHS. Period. It would look beyond ridiculous from most of the park if they do that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Aren't you doing what you accuse me of? Proof please. Otherwise I am left to believe you are stating opinion as fact.

I clearly stated it is my opinion and I still do not believe we will see the rockwork from DCA cloned at DHS. Period. It would look beyond ridiculous from most of the park if they do that.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but how would the outside portion of the ride work without the rock work? Seems like it would ruin the effect. Maybe I am wrong, I haven't been there in person just watched the video on you tube. Could they have some form of rock work that is smaller or less intrusive to the rest of the park?

jt04

I'm not disagreeing with you, but how would the outside portion of the ride work without the rock work? Seems like it would ruin the effect. Maybe I am wrong, I haven't been there in person just watched the video on you tube. Could they have some form of rock work that is smaller or less intrusive to the rest of the park?

As I mentioned earlier several times, the Mexico pavilion has an amazing volcano inside. That is just one option. There are unlimited possibilities. WDW74 mentioned a mostly dark ride configuration and I think that is possible. I never underestimate WDI's abilities and neither should anyone here. Think outside the box as they do.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
As I mentioned earlier several times, the Mexico pavilion has an amazing volcano inside. That is just one option. There are unlimited possibilities. WDW74 mentioned a mostly dark ride configuration and I think that is possible. I never underestimate WDI's abilities and neither should anyone here. Think outside the box as they do.

But thinking outside the box costs money. The main advantage to bringing Carsland to DHS is that they can copy it and save a lot in development costs. Yes, they could make small changes, drop certain parts, but any major change is going to increase the price tag and thus reduce the value of cloning.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sure, anything is possible. The inside portion of the ride looks really cool, but the outside race part is amazing. I hope they keep that part too.

jt04

But thinking outside the box costs money. The main advantage to bringing Carsland to DHS is that they can copy it and save a lot in development costs. Yes, they could make small changes, drop certain parts, but any major change is going to increase the price tag and thus reduce the value of cloning.

I have no idea what they are considering obviously. My only certainty is that we will not see the rockwork from DCA looming over all of DHS in the future. And if my opinion is wrong and they build on that scale I will leave. No more, no less.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom