DHS CARS LAND

PurpleRose

I am no engineer or surveyor but from the satelite images on Google Maps, a Carsland at DHS would take up more space than that space currently occupied by Lights, Motor, Action. If the size of Carsland DHS ends up being the same size as Carsland at DCA, it will take up the entire back corner of DHS including Lights, Motor, Action, and parts of the tour route.

That's what some people have said. If it is a full Carsland, which we're not sure of at this point, it would take most of the tour. All for the best, I say. Most fun I have had in recent years on the tour is when my father and brother were volunteers for the first part of the tour. That and Catastrophe Canyon, of course.

bigeternity

I'm not a fan of Avatar at AK, but I definitely agree with your overall point.

It has been mentioned before, but bears repeating. Due to the size and multiple needs at all four theme parks, as well as DTD, TWDC should be investing $5+ billion in Orlando over the next 9 years in refurb, maintenance and additions/expansions. This type of commitment would hopefully return the WDWR to the level it should be as they approach the 50th anniversary celebration.

I agree. That level of investment is needed to bring the parks up to date.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
See my follow up post after that one but basically these are not my thoughts or wishes ... I was just summing up what had been alluded to by others.

For the record, yes they should be able to do both ... didn't the build EPCOT in like 2-3 years?
EPCOT Center took 3 years to the day to physically build.
Transformers E Ticket will go from concept to opening faster than the 7D mini coaster takes to build.
Just saying.

phi2134

EPCOT Center took 3 years to the day to physically build.
Transformers E Ticket will go from concept to opening faster than the 7D mini coaster takes to build.
Just saying.

Transformers is not as immensely themed/sculpted as the seven dwarves mountain will be. Its more of just a buidling with rooms/queue and then the ride going through it with screens and their ride system. The 7DMT will take longer because they are sculpting the inside and outside of a mountain as well as installing a roller coaster within it. I am guessing this will be done in a few stages which each take a certain amount of time...Creating the frame for the structures, installing the track, building the rest of the mountain and then themeing and landscaping everything, not to mention getting the inside set pieces created.

Its easy to create a ride when you already have one prove like spiderman to rely on for effects and the ride system.

ToTBellHop

Transformers is not as immensely themed/sculpted as the seven dwarves mountain will be. Its more of just a buidling with rooms/queue and then the ride going through it with screens and their ride system. The 7DMT will take longer because they are sculpting the inside and outside of a mountain as well as installing a roller coaster within it. I am guessing this will be done in a few stages which each take a certain amount of time...Creating the frame for the structures, installing the track, building the rest of the mountain and then themeing and landscaping everything, not to mention getting the inside set pieces created.

Its easy to create a ride when you already have one prove like spiderman to rely on for effects and the ride system.
I think you may be giving them a bit more credit than is due on 7DMT. It is meant to be a nice little diversion...emphasis on the little. There is no reason for it to take 3 years to build.

TarzanRocked99-

Good grief

Californian Elitist

What happened to the laughing smiley? It's needed for this post.

phi2134

I think you may be giving them a bit more credit than is due on 7DMT. It is meant to be a nice little diversion...emphasis on the little. There is no reason for it to take 3 years to build.

How long has it been under construction for? DId it start exactly when all of the other structures were being created?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
How long has it been under construction for? DId it start exactly when all of the other structures were being created?

It started construction in October of 2011 so we are talking about 2 1/2 years at the most assuming it opens by the end of March 2014.

Tigger1988

It worked for a while. Both Disney and Universal created the parks in Florida with intent of being real working studios. Both had many years of success and both opened with studio tours. Universal's closed way early in 1995. Slowly Universal Studios Florida lost most of it's production. They still do film some wrestling shows in a soundstage or two, but they lost mostly everything else (I'm still bitter about Nickelodeon :(). Disney had a very impressive tour up until 2003. The backlot tour would take you through facilities such as costuming (used both for films and attractions), a special effects scene called Catastrophe Canyon, and you would go down a street called Residential Street which had houses such as the one used in Golden Girls, and would drive down New York Street. Then they decided we needed Lights, Motors, Action and chopped the tour in half into the sad state it's in now. Wait no, about two years ago they made it even sadder by removing the live tour guide with a recorded spiel. And here we are almost 10 years later with Lights, Motors, Action teetering on the chopping block and a sad, sad little backlot tour.

Rant. Ended. :mad:

Same here. Especially the animation studio. Some real beauties were created there (Mulan, Brother Bear, and Lilo & Stitch to name a few).
Residential Street was a lot more impressive to me until Dave Smith let it out of the bag that the houses weren't even the real ones used on film. They were replicas of the fake houses...explain that one to me.

The tour hasn't been good since the mid 1990s.

lazyboy97o

Residential Street was a lot more impressive to me until Dave Smith let it out of the bag that the houses weren't even the real ones used on film. They were replicas of the fake houses...explain that one to me.
Is that any worse than Universal Studios Florida's Bates Manor and Motel only having been used for Psycho IV just so they could say it was actually used in a film?

BlackCauldron

It worked for a while. Both Disney and Universal created the parks in Florida with intent of being real working studios. Both had many years of success and both opened with studio tours. Universal's closed way early in 1995. Slowly Universal Studios Florida lost most of it's production. They still do film some wrestling shows in a soundstage or two, but they lost mostly everything else (I'm still bitter about Nickelodeon :(). Disney had a very impressive tour up until 2003. The backlot tour would take you through facilities such as costuming (used both for films and attractions), a special effects scene called Catastrophe Canyon, and you would go down a street called Residential Street which had houses such as the one used in Golden Girls, and would drive down New York Street. Then they decided we needed Lights, Motors, Action and chopped the tour in half into the sad state it's in now. Wait no, about two years ago they made it even sadder by removing the live tour guide with a recorded spiel. And here we are almost 10 years later with Lights, Motors, Action teetering on the chopping block and a sad, sad little backlot tour.

Rant. Ended. :mad:

Same here. Especially the animation studio. Some real beauties were created there (Mulan, Brother Bear, and Lilo & Stitch to name a few).

In the beginning this tour was amazing - and took a few hours to complete. I remember after the tram portion, there was the optional (and lengthy) walk through portion. At some point, they decided to remove the walk through at the end, and integrate portions of it (the special effects section) into the queue. I think that was the beginning of the end. And I gotta tell you, when they bulldozed residential street and reduced the Golden Girls house to rubble, a little piece of me died.

I went back on this "tour" (I use that term as loosely as I can), and when it was done (seemingly before it even began), my only thought was "well that was pointless." Some shrubs, a costume shop, the canyon, a trolley, done. Do they even still have the building from the Rocketeer? I can't remember - that's how underwhelmed I was.

And the Animation Building is a shell of it's former self as well. They did what they could to update it, but I still miss Return to Neverland.

RSoxNo1

This is a valid point. It's not speaking to the complexity of the Transformers vs. Seven Dwarf's Mine Train, but sculpting rock work by hand, even with the technological advancements made in the area is still a slow process. We can also see that New Fantasyland is going to look spectacular, the issue though is that it doesn't have the anchor attraction that will really move attendance. Radiator Springs Racers is one of those attractions, as are Transformers The Ride, and the Gringotts Coaster.

devoy1701

This is a valid point. It's not speaking to the complexity of the Transformers vs. Seven Dwarf's Mine Train, but sculpting rock work by hand, even with the technological advancements made in the area is still a slow process. We can also see that New Fantasyland is going to look spectacular, the issue though is that it doesn't have the anchor attraction that will really move attendance. Radiator Springs Racers is one of those attractions, as are Transformers The Ride, and the Gringotts Coaster.

How long did it take to construct Big Thunder, Everest, or Splash?

lazyboy97o

Please don't tell me they really did that.
They did. They even had a tram tour that showed you the pedestrian accessible theme park. A lesson for the bigger topic. Sometimes cloning makes sense, other times it is just silly and ignores the differences between places.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom