DHS CARS LAND

doctornick

The Mater ride is really quite charming and a hige step up from a regular spinner. It could even add an extra table or two to boost capacity.

Of course, it's not a spinner, it's a whip ride which is a different ride experience. Which reminds me of something... I'm not opposed to some "carnival" flat rides in Disney, as long as they are well themed and fit into the environment. But I don't ge tthe obsession with spinners. If they are going to add other flat rides, I would hope they'd have them be different types (like a whip ride or tilt-a-whirl or whatever).

Californian Elitist

And that is part of the problem, I think. They should start doing ads advertising all that Florida has except theme parks (yes, I said that. And I am a huge theme park fan). I think California does ads like that, right?

EDIT - Also, sorry for going a bit off-topic.

Yes, in a special way:

I agree, Florida needs to start advertising things other than theme parks, especially to Californians.

doctornick

Mater's ride is actually really fun. Whenver the wait time for RSR is over 60 minutes, we'll always hit the TowMater ride.

Yep. I know that flat rides are sometimes dismissed around here as "carnival rides" unworthy of Disney, but Mater's has great execution and would IMHO be a welcome addition to WDW with or without a full Cars Land.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree that the theme parks are the primary draws in Florida, but I get so mad when I read posts like these. Florida has SO MANY wonderful places to visit other than theme parks. We have some of the best beaches in the country, some of the oldest cities (like St. Augustine) that are rich of history, some wonderful natural parks and gardens (Cypress Gardens at LEGOLAND, Bok Tower Gardens), the Kennedy Space Center and the entire space coast, countless ports of calls of all the major cruise lines IN THE WORLD, the Florida Keys, the Everglades (yes, those are swamps, but I would prefer to see them than - say - Hollywood. And, yes, I have seen both places). Oh and we also have lots of animals and birds!

People visiting Florida should start exploring the rest of the state instead of focusing to the Central Florida area.

I agree with you that Florida as a whole has a whole lot more to offer than theme parks, but in defense of the original poster he did say "you go to Orlando for theme parks". That is a true statement. Without the theme parks Orlando would not be a tourist destination. It wouldn't even make the top 10 for places to visit in Florida. Without Disneyland or the other theme parks LA/Orange County is still a great place to visit and is probably in most people's top 5 for trips to CA.

I've been to both the Everglades and Hollywood and though they are both places everyone should visit at least once I'm with you on picking the swamp.

FutureWorld1982

Sanibel/Captiva are great. Even a few days at The Don Cesar is quite delightful.

Yes. You can't beat this (taken in Treasure Island a couple of weeks ago. And the water temperature was an outstanding 86 degrees. Fantastic):

jbbLbyZw6aIjQT.JPG

CDavid

FL has some amazing vacation spots. Key West, Key Largo, South Beach, Palm Beach, Orlando, The Everglades, St. Augustine.
Florida screams VACATION!

Indeed, Florida was a popular vacation destination long before Walt even thought about building a theme park, let alone one in Florida. Way, way back in the 70's when WDW was just the MK it was more naturally part of a larger Florida vacation; We always went to the beach, Kennedy Space Center, etc. There remain some advantages to marketing WDW that way even today, at least to certain demographics, despite the fact it flies in the face of TDO's philosophy for the place.

Not everyone wants to vacation to theme parks, at least not every year, or perhaps more accurately many people don't think they want to vacation at a theme park. Get them in the door, offer a quality experience that vastly exceeds their expectations, and they'll be back again and again. You could attract some groups that (largely) aren't coming now by offering varied activities (WDW used to be better at this, marketing Fort Wilderness, golf, and the like) and placing the parks as one element of the vacation rather a commando-style "all parks, all the time" approach that doesn't appeal to everyone.

Whatever Star Wars attraction WDW will get, DLR will get too. We won't have a Star Wars Land exclusive. It might not be popular on the forum, but MGM/DHS needs both CL and SW. And INDY while we're at it.

I completely agree that the studios need both Star Wars and Carsland, and no, neither will be an exclusive to either coast. That approach could work, but if Disneyland didn't get Star Wars or the studios doesn't get Cars Land then they would both need something else in their place. Indeed, if we end up with just Star Wars in Florida the studios are still likely to be wanting.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

I completely agree that the studios need both Star Wars and Carsland, and no, neither will be an exclusive to either coast. That approach could work, but if Disneyland didn't get Star Wars or the studios doesn't get Cars Land then they would both need something else in their place. Indeed, if we end up with just Star Wars in Florida the studios are still likely to be wanting.
I would think a Star Wars Land, and two additional Pixar based attractions that aren't necessarily Cars could also work. I'd prefer original ideas, but I'll throw out Kitchen Calamity and the Monster's Inc Coaster as possibilities.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I would think a Star Wars Land, and two additional Pixar based attractions that aren't necessarily Cars could also work. I'd prefer original ideas, but I'll throw out Kitchen Calamity and the Monster's Inc Coaster as possibilities.
Another LPS ride is planned for Orlando, but again it won't be Disney. The coaster proposal however just won't die thankfully.

gonnichi

gotta be Lorax right for the LPS?

I hope it is the Lorax as well. Will WDW ever get a LPS? They don't have one yet, right? It just seems like WDW is looking more and more like it has old rides with old ride systems. Even the new 7 Dwarfs Mine Coaster doesn't look high tech, it looks like it is made out of wood and uses gravity for the thrills. Im not saying the wooden look is bad its perfect for a Snow White ride but it just doesn't scream new high tech ride to me even if the cars are new technology. I guess high tech would be better on something else at WDW then 7 dwarfs coaster. Lets hope we get something Star Wars soon for that.

doctornick

This. If they do a substantial (and well executed) Star Wars land, then I don't think they need a seperate other large land. What they would need is to provide some additional rides elsewhere in the park to strengthen existing areas -- especially Pixar Place, with it's sad one ride. Adding the Monster's Inc door coaster and Ratatouille would be awesome. I've suggested just adding the Mater ride without a full Cars Land. I don't see why it would need to be Cars Land or nothing for Pixar.

Question for those in the know... is there room to add in a couple of rides to expand Pixar Place without replacing the Backlot Tour or LMA? I know there is Soundstage 1 which can be used (door coaster?) but looking at the maps, I don't know if they could add another attraction without eating into Backlot Tour or LMA or the SoA/HISTK playground. Does anyone know if they could possible use other backstage areas for attractions?

I ask this because they will run into the problem of not having enough "stuff" to do if they shut down too much (LMA/Backlot Tour in addition to Indy and AIE) so keeping Backlot and LMA running while building SW and whatever else would be good IMHO. They the Backlot/LMA space could be used for a subsequent larger expansion (hopefully for WDW's 50th, if I can dream).

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Yep. I know that flat rides are sometimes dismissed around here as "carnival rides" unworthy of Disney, but Mater's has great execution and would IMHO be a welcome addition to WDW with or without a full Cars Land.
Agreed. In fact, I think that what Pixar Place/DHS needs is 3 or 4 rides like that the whole family can do. The rides at DHS in general don't work for little kids, because they are thrill rides (Star Tours, RNRC, ToT), require skills that little ones don't have (TSM), or movie knowledge that little ones haven't yet acquired (GMR). Some rides based off of properties known to kids that can be fun for the whole family is what that park needs. Tow Mater is a great example. Package that with a few others of the same general ilk with the kind of theming that PIxar properties lend themselves to, and you'd have a very interesting addition even without a headliner attraction.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
This is what I hope. I'd be fine with adding Mater's Junkyard Jamboree as part of a bigger Cars Land expansion (maybe the Monsters Inc door coaster in Soundstage 1) -- it would be a welcome ride for families in that park and has a relatively small footprint.

I'm not getting bent out of shape whether they have a full Cars Land or not in DHS (I could see legit arguments for both sides) but it strikes me as foolish not to have some representation of that franchise in WDW beyond some static figures for photos. Mater's ride + a gift shop (Lizzie's?) + some of the animated M&G with Lightning/Mater would be perfect.
And give me Flo's as well.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Just for fun, go back and read the first 30-40 pages of this thread.
We were so sure.
We were so excited.
And now, almost 300 pages and more than a year in, we still have nothing. Zip, zero, zilch, nada.

I am recently back from WDW (9/23 - 10/02), and for the first time ever, I have to agree that DHS is a half day park. We had 10 day Parkhopper Passes, and for this reason only, we went to DHS 3x for 3-4 hours each time. I don't know how I ever used to commit two full days to this park. Oh maybe I do. Backlot Tour used to be worth the hour or so ... I hadn't already seen the exact same Indy show 10x ... there was so much more Streetmosphere going on ... you could easily spend a half hour or more at Sid's.

This year was just kind of disappointing. GMR - tired, stale. Backlot Tour - what backlot? VotLM - saw it for the 20th time. BatB - skipped it. And what is up with that BAH still being there?

We are already planning next year's trip, but there really is no need to commit 10 days to WDW anymore. It's starting to sound more like a 5 (WDW) plus 2 (Universal) plus 3 (at the beach).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom