DHS CARS LAND

steamboatjosh

A big part of me actually hopes it doesn't happen. I'd kind of prefer for them to keep Cars Land unique to California Adventure.

Build something at DHS and keep it unique to them. Star Wars Land preferably.

If they feel that DHS needs more Pixar, then just expand Pixar Place imo. Add attractions based on Wall-E & The Incredibles. Turn the Lights, Motors, Action! show area into a single Cars attraction. Update the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area into an A Bug's Life play area. Then bam, DHS has the most comprehensive collection of Pixar-based attractions out of all the parks and they can keeps Cars Land in California.

It fits California a lot better and I honestly don't like an entire land being based off of two films. I've been to Cars Land and it was fun, however the entire time I was thinking ""Why would you do this when you could've had a several films represented here?"

Last edited:

menamechris

I would just be thrilled for anything of substance to be done at this point. The rumor mill keeps spinning, but we seem to be going nowhere. And given that we have now begun the new fiscal year, and there seems to be no real buzz of an announcement anytime soon, I can't help but feel like we are in for another year of just rumors and head scratching.

JimboJones123

It sounds like it is bureaucracy at its finest.

WDW wants a full Carsland or nothing.

Parts of Carsland simply are not able to be replicated.

So, because it won't be a full replication, Carsland is dead.

But maybe it isn't.

But maybe a Cars attraction is being planned as part of a greater Pixar land?

CDavid

Keeping Cars Land as a DCA exclusive helps make DCA a destination. Adding it to DHS eliminates that. Universal is going to see the same thing with Harry Potter, it's not going to be as special as the original.

With the number of guests at WDW or Disneyland who seldom or never make it to the other side of the country, you can easily justify a Cars Land in both resorts. You are quite correct, though; Perhaps ideally DL (Cars, Marvel?) and WDW (Star Wars, Epcot) would each have exclusives strong enough to draw guests from the opposite coast, but that would require rather lavish budgets.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
With the number of guests at WDW or Disneyland who seldom or never make it to the other side of the country, you can easily justify a Cars Land in both resorts. You are quite correct, though; Perhaps ideally DL (Cars, Marvel?) and WDW (Star Wars, Epcot) would each have exclusives strong enough to draw guests from the opposite coast, but that would require rather lavish budgets.

But even if they did, how much would that really benefit Disney's total US attendance? Most people probably aren't going to add extra Disney trips to their vacation plans, so they will just end up trading a DL vacation for a WDW (or visa-versa).

Gomer

But even if they did, how much would that really benefit Disney's total US attendance? Most people probably aren't going to add extra Disney trips to their vacation plans, so they will just end up trading a DL vacation for a WDW (or visa-versa).

I think DL has more potential to pull additional spending in due to the simple fact that people travel to Southern california more frequently for reasons other than themeparks. With exceptions of course, most people aren't drawn to Orlando for anything outside of family vacations and conventions.

You are correct that it is doubtful people won't plan additional vacations to hit WDW and DL. But, I occasionally find myself in southern california for business travel or to visit friends or family (weddings, babies, etc...) and when I'm there, the things that are unique to california entice me to visit. A couple years back, I was bored while at a wedding in LA and paid full price admission to go to DL for 3 hours because I had never seen Haunted Mansion holiday. If there hadn't been that draw of something exciting I had never seen in Orlando, I probably wouldn't have bothered. Between dinner, admission, and a couple of souvenirs to bring home to my kids, I probably spent $150 in 3 hours.

The other aspect of that is, California might draw you to DL on a year you didn't intend to go to a Disney park at all. Lets say I go to WDW every other year, but in between I like to hit other locations. National parks, historic cities, whatever... Southern california can kill 2 birds with one stone. Go see Hollywood, check out the beaches, and then hit DL for a couple days while you are there. The prospect of hitting a park will keep the kids happy while Mom and Dad get to go someplace that isn't a Florida swamp.

I don't see either of these scenarios happening in Orlando as much though. You go to Orlando to go to the themeparks. That is the primary draw.

Last edited:

CDavid

While many would probably substitute one for the other, Disney would still see benefits if people (who normally vacation in WDW) substitute a Disneyland trip instead of a non-Disney destination (national parks, museums, etc.). There is abundant competition for a family's vacation destination; Most of the general population doesn't actually go to to the same place(s) year after year after year (WDWMagic members generally excepted, of course :) ).

FutureWorld1982

The prospect of hitting a park will keep the kids happy while Mom and Dad get to go someplace that isn't a Florida swamp... You go to Orlando to go to the themeparks. That is the primary draw.

I agree that the theme parks are the primary draws in Florida, but I get so mad when I read posts like these. Florida has SO MANY wonderful places to visit other than theme parks. We have some of the best beaches in the country, some of the oldest cities (like St. Augustine) that are rich of history, some wonderful natural parks and gardens (Cypress Gardens at LEGOLAND, Bok Tower Gardens), the Kennedy Space Center and the entire space coast, countless ports of calls of all the major cruise lines IN THE WORLD, the Florida Keys, the Everglades (yes, those are swamps, but I would prefer to see them than - say - Hollywood. And, yes, I have seen both places). Oh and we also have lots of animals and birds!

People visiting Florida should start exploring the rest of the state instead of focusing to the Central Florida area.

Californian Elitist

I agree that the theme parks are the primary draws in Florida, but I get so mad when I read posts like these. Florida has SO MANY wonderful places to visit other than theme parks. We have some of the best beaches in the country, some of the oldest cities (like St. Augustine) that are rich of history, some wonderful natural parks and gardens (Cypress Gardens at LEGOLAND, Bok Tower Gardens), the Kennedy Space Center and the entire space coast, countless ports of calls of all the major cruise lines IN THE WORLD, the Florida Keys, the Everglades (yes, those are swamps, but I would prefer to see them than - say - Hollywood. And, yes, I have seen both places). Oh and we also have lots of animals and birds!

People visiting Florida should start exploring the rest of the state instead of focusing to the Central Florida area.

I live in California, and the only Florida tourism ads I see are Disney, Universal and Sea World.

doctornick

But maybe a Cars attraction is being planned as part of a greater Pixar land?

This is what I hope. I'd be fine with adding Mater's Junkyard Jamboree as part of a bigger Cars Land expansion (maybe the Monsters Inc door coaster in Soundstage 1) -- it would be a welcome ride for families in that park and has a relatively small footprint.

I'm not getting bent out of shape whether they have a full Cars Land or not in DHS (I could see legit arguments for both sides) but it strikes me as foolish not to have some representation of that franchise in WDW beyond some static figures for photos. Mater's ride + a gift shop (Lizzie's?) + some of the animated M&G with Lightning/Mater would be perfect.

JimboJones123

This is what I hope. I'd be fine with adding Mater's Junkyard Jamboree as part of a bigger Cars Land expansion (maybe the Monsters Inc door coaster in Soundstage 1) -- it would be a welcome ride for families in that park and has a relatively small footprint.

I'm not getting bent out of shape whether they have a full Cars Land or not in DHS (I could see legit arguments for both sides) but it strikes me as foolish not to have some representation of that franchise in WDW beyond some static figures for photos. Mater's ride + a gift shop (Lizzie's?) + some of the animated M&G with Lightning/Mater would be perfect.
The Mater ride is really quite charming and a hige step up from a regular spinner. It could even add an extra table or two to boost capacity.

Gomer

I understand your viewpoint. I proudly live in New Jersey, the most ridiculed state in the union. I wish people would see more than the armpit of new york and realize that we have rolling hills and farmland in addition to industrial wasteland and an Ivy League college less than an hour from the people on Jersey Shore. But, I accept that image creates reality to outsiders. I'm sure there are fantastic things to do in central florida that have nothing to do with theme parks, but that is not how it is viewed by outsiders. And for the purposes of this conversation, that is what matters.

FutureWorld1982

I live in California, and the only Florida tourism ads I see are Disney, Universal and Sea World.

And that is part of the problem, I think. They should start doing ads advertising all that Florida has except theme parks (yes, I said that. And I am a huge theme park fan). I think California does ads like that, right?

EDIT - Also, sorry for going a bit off-topic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom