DHS CARS LAND

menamechris

We are already planning next year's trip, but there really is no need to commit 10 days to WDW anymore. It's starting to sound more like a 5 (WDW) plus 2 (Universal) plus 3 (at the beach).

Honestly - I would carve out at least 3 days for Universal. I hadn't been to Universal in a few years when I renewed my annual pass last year. And I spent a day just trying to catch up on the attractions that were new since I had been there last. And with the second Harry Potter phase opening next year (probably around the time Disney's lil mine train is opening....) there will be even more new areas to explore. I am sure Cabana Bay will be open for your next trip, as well, and I am excited to see what Universal's verison of a value resort will look like....(A lazy river for a value resort...are you KIDDING me??)

BrianLo

New rides. Seriously, how hard is it to make NEW rides. Do we need to rename Imagineering to Recycleneering?

The last innovative ride was Toy Story Mania back in 2008. Even RSR is just a rehash with bonus scenery.

Mystic Manor (much different experience than Pooh and nothing like Haunted Mansion whatsoever)

doctornick

Just for fun, go back and read the first 30-40 pages of this thread.
We were so sure.
We were so excited.
And now, almost 300 pages and more than a year in, we still have nothing. Zip, zero, zilch, nada.

This is the part I don't get. Regardless of whether Cars Land was pursued at DHS, it's pretty mind boggling that something has not been given the green light in the past year. It's a park in desperate need for something new and the decision makers seem to be twiddling their thumbs about it. Heck, the could have simply brought back the Monsters Inc door coaster idea and started that in 2012 as a smaller project while they were still debating what to do about Cars.

It's pretty crazy that once the 7DMT opens next year, that there is literally no rides on the horizon for a few years because nothing else is even being worked on yet. There are 4 parks in WDW -- that's insane to be doing so little.

Last edited:

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
We are DVC and visit 2-3 times a year.. and only go for 4-5 days each trip because we run out of things to do. You can only go on the rides so many times before you get tired of them in one trip.
Not complaining about the lack of crowds this trip, but we went on sooooo many rides this trip, that it can in fact get boring.
Haunted Mansion - 7x
PotC - 7x
MILF, ToT, CBJ, TSMM, RNRC, Space Mountain, Splash, Buzz, Soarin', IASW, GMR - 3x
And virtually everything else once or twice.

Disneyhead'71

TDO is proud of and brags about how it can strip mine profits from guests without spending money. They are and have been actually stonewalling Burbank. TDO is simply an experiment in profiteering. And they don't give a crap about the long term viability of the product since none of are or ever been "theme park" people. Most of the folks at TDOs background consists of planning Frat parties while getting their MBAs.

I saw stunned Fri. Night while at HHN that I saw 3 different "suits" actually picking up trash as they were walking around interacting with guests.

Fox&Hound

The Mater ride is really quite charming and a huge step up from a regular spinner. It could even add an extra table or two to boost capacity.

I agree. I love Maters! Very fun indeed! I think this with Flo's or the Cozy Cone could be fun and add some interesting dining. I like Star Wars but it makes sense to add multiple properties so that people don't say "Meh, I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, so, I'll skip it." It just amazes me that they could put the Ratatouille ride in or the Monsters Inc door coaster in and since they have already been planning them be that much further down the road with development but yet we still just sit here and wait. Give us something new! Heck, even moving MILF (still laugh every time) would make sense and add a family show to the park. I think my problem is that while I loooooove Disney I sometimes get the "been there, done that" bug and if they won't add new experiences then places like Hollywood Studios become very repetitive.

doctornick

I agree. I love Maters! Very fun indeed! I think this with Flo's or the Cozy Cone could be fun and add some interesting dining.

Yep, a Cars mini land with Mater's + Flo's + merch (Lizzy's?) would be a nice add that wouldn't require a massive footprint. And would fit in well as part of with a buffed up Pixar Plar

I like Star Wars but it makes sense to add multiple properties so that people don't say "Meh, I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, so, I'll skip it."

Agreed. A Star Wars heavy expansion is fine, but they be adding in a least a few other attractions to diversify the interest and to advertise to different segments of guests.

It just amazes me that they could put the Ratatouille ride in or the Monsters Inc door coaster in and since they have already been planning them be that much further down the road with development but yet we still just sit here and wait. Give us something new! Heck, even moving MILF (still laugh every time) would make sense and add a family show to the park.

Agree with adding Ratatouille or the door coaster. Heck, I still can't fathom the logic if the door coaster is added to DCA but it not added to an empty building in a prime location that it was designed for in Soundstage 1 in DHS -- if you already spending the development cost for building the ride, then it makes little sense to not add it to DHS.

As for Laugh Floor, I still think an easy option for that would be to just retheme the Streets of America to a Monstropolis enviroment (would be a easy/cheap switch and could then still be used for the Osborne lights) and use the Premiere Theater for Laugh Floor. Then the space in Tomorrowland could actually be used for something that would actually fit that theme better.

RSoxNo1

Agreed. In fact, I think that what Pixar Place/DHS needs is 3 or 4 rides like that the whole family can do. The rides at DHS in general don't work for little kids, because they are thrill rides (Star Tours, RNRC, ToT), require skills that little ones don't have (TSM), or movie knowledge that little ones haven't yet acquired (GMR). Some rides based off of properties known to kids that can be fun for the whole family is what that park needs. Tow Mater is a great example. Package that with a few others of the same general ilk with the kind of theming that PIxar properties lend themselves to, and you'd have a very interesting addition even without a headliner attraction.
I agree, but let's be clear that Tow Mater's Junkyard Jamboree is nothing more than a B ticket attraction. It cannot be the only addition to that park. Adding family friendly D/E tickets/dark rides will really help round out that park.
And give me Flo's as well.
Mmmm... Brioche French Toast

Disneyhead'71

Well, considering they now market the whole resort as a gigantic toddlerland the fact that DHS only has one ride that caters to that crowd results in that one ride having ridiculous wait times. 3-4 rides like Mater's and a larger more impressive family friendly D/E ticket in PIXAR Place along with the Star Wars expansion would go a long way towards rounding out the park.

BrianLo

On top of how obvious Monsters Inc Coaster still is... I just can't believe they haven't seen dollar signs floating across their eyes when thinking about cloning Ratatouille. Based on how well Be Our Guest does, Remy's could charge out the nose (and at least provide an honest to goodness E-ticket in the process). Plus WDS is the one park I don't really ever need to set foot in again so it would be nice if they helped me avoid the temptation.

Carsland is nice, but for the budget I think Rat/Monsters Inc is a better option and would likely be the more affordable one to boot. Use an existing soundstage and the Rat is only 150 million I believe.

CJR

I would love to see Pixar Place expanded much more than the Star Wars land. I believe Pixar has a much more broad appeal and is more universally liked.

I do not like the idea of simply cloning Carsland. I think there needs to be a full Pixar Place expansion. Put in the MI door coaster, turn SoA into Monstropolis, add a Remy restaurant, turn HISTK into A Bug's Life Playground and you have a solid land. Adding the Mater ride and Flos would knock it out of the park. Heck, if another flat ride is needed, do an Up themed version of Jumpin Jelly Fish and this would make DHS amazing. All these different properties would have a much more broad appeal than SW and sell merch like crazy.

That's not to say that I'm against a Star Wars expansion either, I like both ideas, but I think Disney needs to expand Pixar much more than they need to expand SW. While they might now own SW, I don't see it being as hot as Harry Potter, not much will be. They already have a solid SW attraction and store. An expansion might see an increase in sales, but I just don't see it doing as much for the park as Pixar would.

TP2000

Just for fun, go back and read the first 30-40 pages of this thread.
We were so sure.
We were so excited.
And now, almost 300 pages and more than a year in, we still have nothing. Zip, zero, zilch, nada.

It is interesting to see how that happened, isn't it?

And now it sounds like Tokyo Disneyland is getting the full Cars Land that DHS was supposed to get.

Matt_Black

That's not to say that I'm against a Star Wars expansion either, I like both ideas, but I think Disney needs to expand Pixar much more than they need to expand SW. While they might now own SW, I don't see it being as hot as Harry Potter, not much will be. They already have a solid SW attraction and store. An expansion might see an increase in sales, but I just don't see it doing as much for the park as Pixar would.

vader2.jpg

dgp602

I am a family of six ( kids age 12, 11 and twins 8 ). I scrape by and save to go to WDW almost every year around Christmas. The last few years we began putting a day aside for a trip to a new park, either SeaWorld, LegoLand or Universal to change things up. This year, for the first time, my kids are saying they want to spend less time at Disney and more time at Universal. DHS offers them virtually nothing, same with Animal Kingdom ( two rides tops in each park ). Epcot? Please explain to me what a 12 yr old girl and 11 yr old boy want to do in Epcot after MS and TT. Walking around the countries does not excite young children. So the reality is, dollars that I would be normally spending at Disney are now diverted to Universal. We are going to spend 2 full days at Universal, and just 3 days at Disney. We are staying at AoA this year, but honestly, the new Cabana Bay hotel at Universal really excites me more and next year THAT will be my target hotel that I plan to stay at, at least for a couple of days. And their City Walk? The choice of restaurants and shops blows away DTD right now ( disclaimer: Disney Springs looks promising ). So, we will be spending two nights eating and shopping there as opposed to DTD.

Christmas is and always has been my time to visit Disney. But, for those of you who have not been to Universal at Christmas, don't kid yourselves. They do a fine job with their decorations and every year the theming gets better!! Seuss Landing and the Grinch bring my boys more smiles and laughs than the new Fantasy Land. As Disney cuts back, Universal is plussing. Disney defenders will say that changing the appearance of the Magic kingdom and having Christmas lay-overs for some rides is not fair to those visitors who only visit WDW at Christmas. I have heard that argument several times. Tell that to Universal, or SeaWorld for that matter. SeaWorld does an absolutely phenomenal job at Christmas. I would argue that visitors who plan trips around the Christmas holidays might actually be looking for special Christmas decorations and attractions.

So, bottom line? Unless Disney starts to add attractions to make the parks more attractive to families with teen and pre-teen kids, this demographic will continue to spend less at Disney and more at other Orlando area attractions. And these kids will grow-up becoming less fanatical Disney fans as time goes by....

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Agree with adding Ratatouille or the door coaster. Heck, I still can't fathom the logic if the door coaster is added to DCA but it not added to an empty building in a prime location that it was designed for in Soundstage 1 in DHS -- if you already spending the development cost for building the ride, then it makes little sense to not add it to DHS.
It would make perfect sense, wouldn't it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom