DHS CARS LAND

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I agree, but let's be clear that Tow Mater's Junkyard Jamboree is nothing more than a B ticket attraction. It cannot be the only addition to that park. Adding family friendly D/E tickets/dark rides will really help round out that park.

Mmmm... Brioche French Toast
A B-ticket indeed, but one that hits it's mark perfectly. Character tie-in, fun enough for older kids and adults while being suitable for little ones as well, good visuals and sounds, and with enough space devoted to it, sufficient capacity (although a third turntable would be helpful). And I agree with the need for the others as well, but even a couple of Bs and a couple of Cs would help.

I've liked everything I've had at Flo's. And the setting at DCA, particularly on the back porch overlooking RSR, is just great.

TP2000

Disney defenders will say that changing the appearance of the Magic kingdom and having Christmas lay-overs for some rides is not fair to those visitors who only visit WDW at Christmas. I have heard that argument several times. Tell that to Universal, or SeaWorld for that matter. SeaWorld does an absolutely phenomenal job at Christmas. I would argue that visitors who plan trips around the Christmas holidays might actually be looking for special Christmas decorations and attractions.

Also tell that to Disneyland USA, Tokyo Disneyland, Hong Kong Disneyland, and Disneyland Paris. They are all now using the holiday themed overlays to attractions that started in Anaheim 15 years ago.

The only Disney theme park property that doesn't do attraction overlays for Christmas is... Walt Disney World.

WDW had the Country Bear Christmas Special, the original attraction overlay from the 1980's, but then they killed it. They still do the Country Bears Christmas show in Tokyo Disneyland, however. And Tokyo also has Small World Holiday and Haunted Mansion Holiday, like Anaheim.

Something just doesn't add up there. o_O

Californian Elitist

Also tell that to Disneyland USA, Tokyo Disneyland, Hong Kong Disneyland, and Disneyland Paris. They are all now using the holiday themed overlays to attractions that started in Anaheim 15 years ago.

The only Disney theme park property that doesn't do attraction overlays for Christmas is... Walt Disney World.

WDW had the Country Bear Christmas Special, the original attraction overlay from the 1980's, but then they killed it. They still do the Country Bears Christmas show in Tokyo Disneyland, however. And Tokyo also has Small World Holiday and Haunted Mansion Holiday, like Anaheim.

Come on, TP. You know adding extra things to keep the holidays special and really nice isn't Florida's thing, since it would ruin so many vacations. Think of City Hall and the poor CMs that would have to deal with the complaints.

Bairstow

Not really.
Disney World guests are usually not local and usually are only able to make it down to the park once in a couple years.
Understandably, they get very bummed out when a ride is closed during their visit, which is why Disney World does everything it can to minimize attraction downtime.

None of the other major Orlando theme parks close attractions for seasonal overlays either.

misterID

It is interesting to see how that happened, isn't it?

And now it sounds like Tokyo Disneyland is getting the full Cars Land that DHS was supposed to get.

Add that with the Monsters INC coaster. And Shanghai was getting the 7DMT when it was cut from our FLE. So that's three right there.

This is getting to ridiculous levels now. Doesn't TDO have any pride? I mean, really guys. C'mon. And just to add to the DHS realities: I went there with 6 guests. 2 of those were kids, youngest 11. We did everything we wanted to do there. We walked in around 9AM and left a little after 11AM. TOT, GMR, ST, RNRC, TSM.

If you combined AK and DHS on the same day, still a half day.

It's a joke.

doctornick

And Shanghai was getting the 7DMT when it was cut from our FLE.

I've never heard this. The 7DMT was not part of the original FLE plan, but when it was felt to be too princess/girl oriented, then the Cinderella/Aurora interactive M&Gs were cut and the 7DMT -- which was already in development for Shanghai -- was added.

misterID

I've never heard this. The 7DMT was not part of the original FLE plan, but when it was felt to be too princess/girl oriented, then the Cinderella/Aurora interactive M&Gs were cut and the 7DMT -- which was already in development for Shanghai -- was added.

I remember Martin and LEE talking about the mine train when it was initially cut from the expansion, and then added back when it was too princess-y. I think there were 2 other attractions also?

GiveMeTheMusic

Not really. Disney World guests are usually not local and usually are only able to make it down to the park once in a couple years.

You'd be shocked how many visitors to DLR fit this demographic. Even most locals can't go more than once a year because of the price.

The fact of the matter is that people enjoy seeing something fresh in attractions that are 40+ years old, and the refurbs involved allow them to perform maintenance without closing the rides down for months at a time (you know, like they do at WDW because they put everything off for so many years - remember that 2007 HM refurb? 2009 Space? 2011 Big Thunder? 2012 Splash? How many out of town visitors did those excessively long refurbs affect?).

I guarantee you if WDW did HMH in 2014 the ride's popularity would skyrocket (and not just with inflated standby queues from FP-). There would be a small amount of complaints which TDO would quickly forget about while rolling around naked in the money pile HMH creates with merch, food and Photopass sales.

Even if they didn't do small world Holiday or HMH, Country Bears Christmas Special involved little to no downtime. Not doing the Bears' Christmas show is nothing short of outright laziness.

The only reason holiday overlays don't happen in WDW is a delightful cocktail of apathy and laziness. They hide behind the out-of-towners excuse because they can. In reality, guests LOVE the overlays, local or not.

Californian Elitist

You'd be shocked how many visitors to DLR fit this demographic. Even most locals can't go more than once a year because of the price.

The fact of the matter is that people enjoy seeing something fresh in attractions that are 40+ years old, and the refurbs involved allow them to perform maintenance without closing the rides down for months at a time (you know, like they do at WDW because they put everything off for so many years - remember that 2007 HM refurb? 2009 Space? 2011 Big Thunder? 2012 Splash? How many out of town visitors did those excessively long refurbs affect?).

I guarantee you if WDW did HMH in 2014 the ride's popularity would skyrocket (and not just with inflated standby queues from FP-). There would be a small amount of complaints which TDO would quickly forget about while rolling around naked in the money pile HMH creates with merch, food and Photopass sales.

Even if they didn't do small world Holiday or HMH, Country Bears Christmas Special involved little to no downtime. Not doing the Bears' Christmas show is nothing short of outright laziness.

The only reason holiday overlays don't happen in WDW is a delightful cocktail of apathy and laziness. They hide behind the out-of-towners excuse because they can. In reality, guests LOVE the overlays, local or not.

clapping.gif

doctornick

I remember Martin and LEE talking about the mine train when it was initially cut from the expansion, and then added back when it was too princess-y. I think there were 2 other attractions also?

Huh. I never heard that. I do remember that there was plans for a smaller Circus area and part of that space to be used as a "Pixie Hollow" for Tinkerbell and friends that included a flat ride. Also, I think there was some plans for a Wonderland or a Neverland area.

FutureWorld1982

Come on, TP. You know adding extra things to keep the holidays special and really nice isn't Florida's thing, since it would ruin so many vacations.

I heard that surveys were done on this subject a few years back. When Guests were told about these overlays, a very big chunk of them said they would NOT be interested in seeing these changes, and that they would not plan a vacation to WDW just for these overlays. I am just reporting what I heard.

TP2000

Huh. I never heard that. I do remember that there was plans for a smaller Circus area and part of that space to be used as a "Pixie Hollow" for Tinkerbell and friends that included a flat ride. Also, I think there was some plans for a Wonderland or a Neverland area.

Oh, yeah! Pixie Hollow was going to be where Storybook Land Circus now is using the old Toontown tents. There would be a Disneyland-style Pixie Hollow meet n' greet but put indoors to deal with the Florida climate, and then a flat ride that used the same ride system as Mater's Junkyard Jamboree in Cars Land, except you'd ride in cutesy pixie cars instead of tractors. Here's the model for Pixie Hollow in WDW...

1zqbuqc.jpg

Disneyhead'71

Not really.
Disney World guests are usually not local and usually are only able to make it down to the park once in a couple years.
Understandably, they get very bummed out when a ride is closed during their visit, which is why Disney World does everything it can to minimize attraction downtime.

None of the other major Orlando theme parks close attractions for seasonal overlays either.
If the WDW parks weren't so short on capacity it wouldn't be an issue. They do close them all the time for refurbishments and the tourists survive.

Captain Neo

Oh, yeah! Pixie Hollow was going to be where Storybook Land Circus now is using the old Toontown tents. There would be a Disneyland-style Pixie Hollow meet n' greet but put indoors to deal with the Florida climate, and then a flat ride that used the same ride system as Mater's Junkyard Jamboree in Cars Land, except you'd ride in cutesy pixie cars instead of tractors. Here's the model for Pixie Hollow in WDW...

1zqbuqc.jpg

There was also a Tinker Bell boat ride planned for this area but I am unsure where it was supposed to go. It was a phase 2 project.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom