DHS CARS LAND

OSUPhantom

Honestly, and slightly off topic, I'm disappointed with the under utilization of Magic of Animation. I've always wanted to see a dark ride that would incorporate the history of Disney classics. So many great Disney movies have no ride presence; Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas, Mulan, etc. Think of the detail and effects that could go into creating a ride that would start off with a black and white set, create projection effects for the "sketching" and then bring the scenes to life with color. It would be amazing.

discos

Honestly, and slightly off topic, I'm disappointed with the under utilization of Magic of Animation. I've always wanted to see a dark ride that would incorporate the history of Disney classics. So many great Disney movies have no ride presence; Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas, Mulan, etc. Think of the detail and effects that could go into creating a ride that would start off with a black and white set, create projection effects for the "sketching" and then bring the scenes to life with color. It would be amazing.
I'd ride it! Sort of the same idea used in the restaurant on the Disney Cruise. It's a cool effect.

AswaySuller

It was honestly the saddest state of a Disney attraction I've ever seen... My family have pixie dust tinted glasses but even commented at how bloody awful it was....

I even thought maybe its that bad because they know its going so have neglected it??

kucarachi

I don't think DHS is as bad as it gets a reputation for. It's got more thrill rides than Epcot, and enough shows for both boys & girls to be happy. But i think the problem is that most of it hasn't changed one bit in 20 some years. The Indiana Jones show is only representing one movie of out 4...and that movie being well over 30 years old. LMA is the best show in the studios as far as production and performance and wow factors...but if your going to add something on the scale of cars land, i would remove any and everything from HISTK playground all the way back...even that new york street which to me always felt like a rip off of Universal Studios..but if it means getting rid of the osbourne lights forget it. I think there is so much Pixar potential in DHS that it would be a crime not to pursue it. Face it we all love the old 2D cartoons but they were so long ago that i really doubt any new rides outside MK will ever get a 2d character ride again.

kucarachi

So I'm currently sat outside "starring rolls cafe" and wow.... The backlot tour sucks...

Exhibit A of why Carsland needs to go there!
I could put up with Michael Bay talking about a 15 year old flop but i draw the line on what happened next.... the first "special effects section" was rambled through by a guy who's English was as bad as his presentation skills and the "water dumpers" weren't working! So no volunteers, no guest interaction/participation just air cannons and fire goin off seemingly randomly.

Then the shuffle through props room of things that may or may not have been used in movies you may or may not have seen.... 20 years ago!

The tour itself was a shadow of its former self, a pre-recorded voice over artist that was barely audible instead of a real guide (I know it's been this wat for a while but still!).

The boneyard was pathetic... No signs of what movies the things were from you're simply left to guess!!!!

Catastrophe canyon was mildly entertaining 21 years ago but not now....

I know I'm picky, but other guests were visibly confused and lost. First timers commenting on the poor quality...

That was something I would expect to see in Granada studios when I was growing up as a kid in Cheshire (look it up)!!!

It needs to go... I don't even care if its not carsland!

I agree 1000%. I rode both the disney backlots and universal back in the day and even back then you felt like Disney just didn't get it...and you would think with their incredible catalogue of props and resources they could have done anything....if not everything better. You drive right by really cool props from return of the jedi and they don't even acknowledge it? But in their defense...Last time i was at Universal studios they still were using Harry & The Hendersons for their interactive backlot tour. i don't think anyone would be upset to see almost anything else replace this sad hollywood tour.

twebber55

I don't think DHS is as bad as it gets a reputation for. It's got more thrill rides than Epcot, and enough shows for both boys & girls to be happy. But i think the problem is that most of it hasn't changed one bit in 20 some years. The Indiana Jones show is only representing one movie of out 4...and that movie being well over 30 years old. LMA is the best show in the studios as far as production and performance and wow factors...but if your going to add something on the scale of cars land, i would remove any and everything from HISTK playground all the way back...even that new york street which to me always felt like a rip off of Universal Studios..but if it means getting rid of the osbourne lights forget it. I think there is so much Pixar potential in DHS that it would be a crime not to pursue it. Face it we all love the old 2D cartoons but they were so long ago that i really doubt any new rides outside MK will ever get a 2d character ride again.
agree i dont think its near as bad as what people here make it out to be.....does it need something new? absolutely a new land like cars land would give it a big jolt...back lot needs to go..its a huge waste of space

i will say this when you turn right to go down sunset BLVD its one of the best views in theme parks

dcibrando

I don't speak for everyone but i really enjoy the Brown Derby, Hollywood & Vine, Mama Melrose and of course the Sci-Fi is fun even if the food is a just a little better than Denny's.

I'll give you Brown Derby... but Hollywood & Vine was horrid the last time I was there for dinner

Fox&Hound

I agree with Bassman02. I always thought it would be fun if Hollywood Studios was a "working" studio where the characters worked. Like you'd see Cruella sipping a coffee before shooting a commercial or Mickey and the gang filming a movie or something. I'm not sure if it would really work, but it's a new twist on an old idea.

I always felt like there was so much they could do with the premise that they never picked up on. Why is there no ride that takes you through the 50+ animated movies of the company? To go through some AA's, video projection, classic songs that tell the story from hand-drawn to computer animation and the now the age of CG. Or a green screen attraction where you are in a classic film? Kind of like the Ursula voice over "game" in the animation studio?

I really think HS has a lot of potential but to agree with a previous poster nothing has been updated in a really really long time. Shows should not be created to last 15 or 20 years-in their very nature they grow stale over time. I rode the backlot tour last year and my wife and I were really bored. Back in the day (early 90's) there was so much to see. Scrap and bring on some Carsland! Also, it would be great to add some more family rides that everyone can ride.

I think Pixar and Star Wars are the future of the park.....

dcibrando

interesting idea... I always thought having characters walk around and mingle with folks (not just standing around and taking photos) like they are park of the crowd and experience would be cool. they'd have to control people trying to stop and take photos with them though.

how cool would it be for the studios on some nights to have a villians themed night where they are just walking around, creepy, staring at people and using their personality to mingle

GeneralZod

So I'm currently sat outside "starring rolls cafe" and wow.... The backlot tour sucks...

Exhibit A of why Carsland needs to go there!
I could put up with Michael Bay talking about a 15 year old flop but i draw the line on what happened next.... the first "special effects section" was rambled through by a guy who's English was as bad as his presentation skills and the "water dumpers" weren't working! So no volunteers, no guest interaction/participation just air cannons and fire goin off seemingly randomly.

Then the shuffle through props room of things that may or may not have been used in movies you may or may not have seen.... 20 years ago!

The tour itself was a shadow of its former self, a pre-recorded voice over artist that was barely audible instead of a real guide (I know it's been this wat for a while but still!).

The boneyard was pathetic... No signs of what movies the things were from you're simply left to guess!!!!

Catastrophe canyon was mildly entertaining 21 years ago but not now....

I know I'm picky, but other guests were visibly confused and lost. First timers commenting on the poor quality...

That was something I would expect to see in Granada studios when I was growing up as a kid in Cheshire (look it up)!!!

It needs to go... I don't even care if its not carsland!

Substitute Cars Land for Mos Eisley Cantina and I couldn't throw my money at the screen fast enough.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I'm going to WDW in two weeks (yay!) and I have no plans on going to DHS or Animal Kingdom. For the price of a day ticket, I just don't think either of these are worth it.

I'm voting with my pocketbook. I know the arguement of AK being more than a zoo, but let's be real here. My local zoo costs $15 and offers hours- if not a full days worth of entertainment.

That being said, I'll gladly go to DHS if it's greatly updated and new things besides Toy Story garbage is added to it. Same with AK- more attractions, rides,and fix the damn problems instead of just netting them. Then I'd go. :)

I don't care what's put in DHS. Star wars? Absolutely- love the idea. Carsland? Ok, fine. Monsters Inc? Sure. Anything at this point is an upgrade.

Scuttle

I understand why you feel that way. But i can justify a day there just by riding TOT & Aerosmith 5 times each. If anything it's one of the best parks to get something to eat

I can't! I love ToT and think it's one of the best rides in Orlando, but RnRC? No way that ride is lame, although it fits in with the rest of the park as it's a themeless mess.

Fox&Hound

Do you think the suits and execs see it? I mean, really see the problems at Hollywood Studios (and even AK for that matter)? Do you think they see the lack of rides, outdated shows, and concepts that do not work anymore (backlot tour) or do they see the numbers and attendance totals and sit and remain satisfied? I always wonder if it it's just the hardcore fans who go more than once in their lifetime who go often who look around unsatisfied. I REALLY hope they see it too and that all this armchair imagineering is not just wishful thinking.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Do you think the suits and execs see it? I mean, really see the problems at Hollywood Studios (and even AK for that matter)? Do you think they see the lack of rides, outdated shows, and concepts that do not work anymore (backlot tour) or do they see the numbers and attendance totals and sit and remain satisfied? I always wonder if it it's just the hardcore fans who go more than once in their lifetime who go often who look around unsatisfied. I REALLY hope they see it too and that all this armchair imagineering is not just wishful thinking.

See, I think this is part of the problem. The execs probably don't GO to those parks. And when they do- they are probably much like a person who has never been, or only been once or twice in their lifetime- everything likes "new" because they've never seen it before.

There's a good deal of people who can only afford WDW vacations a few times in their lives- if not only once. Or maybe not at all. (Gasp! I know! With how many people here who- god love you all- can afford APs and go every week and then gripe about a trash can, or something insignificant.... there ARE people who can only afford this trip once every 20 years!) THOSE are the people who are not going to notice those couple of paint chips. Or outdated shows, concepts that don't really jive... this is what they're seeing, so this is the "magic".

I'm starting to sound kinda bitter, huh? The point is.... what some people consider snorting pixie dust, is what other people consider magic.... because they don't know any better. Or have never seen it "before". And/or may not ever see it again. There's your problem. Disney magic at its finest: get the people in the parks, wow them, dazzle them, wine them, dine them... then swipe their wallets, kick them in the butt, and tell 'em to come back when they can afford it again... in 15 years. Regardless, it was a magic journey, no?

Communicore

The Studios are a joke. There are a lot of 90's remnants and that's in a bad way. I know Magic Kingdom still has 70's touches here and there but those are cool. Not the Studios. The food there is also too weird for my tastes. I think the Studios should be converted to DCA East, complete with Buena Vista Street.

ToTBellHop

The Studios are a joke. There are a lot of 90's remnants and that's in a bad way. I know Magic Kingdom still has 70's touches here and there but those are cool. Not the Studios. The food there is also too weird for my tastes. I think the Studios should be converted to DCA East, complete with Buena Vista Street.
Has The Walt Disney Company really come to the point where it needs to clone entire theme parks? That would be a new low of unoriginality for them.

A movie theme park can work. It has worked elsewhere (several miles away from DHS, in fact). They just need to invest in it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom