DHS CARS LAND

Californian Elitist

I can't comment on Universal since I never went there, but I can comment on the backlot tour.
It can tell you that its that pathetic as AswaySuller said. It hasn't changed since the last time I went on the Backlot tour based on the fact there still was . When the last time at the Backlot tour 5 to 6 years ago, the water from Catastrophe canyon wasn't even working at the time. At the time, Backlot tour wasn't even past the special effects section.

The Backlot tour wasn't always this pathetic. I saw the Backlot on my first trip to WDW in 1991. The backlot tour in 1991 was much better than it is now. The Backlot Tour in 1991 based on my memory was much longer and DHS even had a working studio at the time.

The Backlot Tour got shorter years ago and DHS was stopped having a work studio years ago by Eisner. That means the Backlot Tour wasn't a true backlot tour in since the late 1990's or early 2000's.

SMH... Sad.

MUTZIE77

SMH... Sad.
It is pretty sad, the first time I went on BLT was in 2001. I thought then that it was actually a very cool attraction. The walk trough the jim henson creature shop, the catwalk above the sets in the sound stages, residential street, even the boneyard had a ton more interesting things to look at. Then disney decided to give up on production and the theme of the park altogether. Residential street became a stunt show and the sound stages were gutted and turned into TSMM and other minor attractions, while another sits empty.

Taylor

I don't know what Disney was thinking, trying to do the LA/Hollywood thing in Florida. They should have known that wasn't going to happen. And now look what they've got. Or should I say, what they don't have? A decent tour.
100% agree with you it's just something that can't be copied, especially if they don't shoot movies there

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I don't know what Disney was thinking, trying to do the LA/Hollywood thing in Florida. They should have known that wasn't going to happen. And now look what they've got. Or should I say, what they don't have? A decent tour.

I believe you've figured out why they are changing the park name to "Disney's Islands of Fun Stuff to do in the Greater Hollywood Area".

AndyMagic

I don't know how much it offset the initial loss but I remember reading that its DVD sales had exceeded expectations

The DVD sales exceeded "revised" expectations that were based on the initial failure of the film at the box office. No amount of ancillary revenue from John Carter will ever pull the film out of the red. The studio was able to write it off pretty easily because of The Avengers. John Carter failing and Avengers making record profits reinforced the very common misconception among Hollywood executives that the only way to run a successful studio is to exclusively greenlight sequels, reboots, remakes, and comic-book adaptations and throw all other scripts into the trash. This way of thinking eventually leads to an unsustainable house of cards where the tentpoles and bloated sequels cost exponentially more money and the consumers become fatigued by a particular character, genre, etc. That's why frantically buying franchises that are already popular like Star Wars and Marvel isn't exactly the most sound or responsible way to run a company. To most people in the industry, it's seen as an act of lazy desperation. True leaders innovate from within and invest early in outside properties that they have faith in and believe can be successful.

TP2000

The thing with DHS though is that the bones are very good. It will take a lot of money to get the place fixed, at least as much as the 1.2 Billion they spent on DCA in 2008-2012. But the foundation is solid, the opening act of the park is great and won't need any work, and there's some very nicely done architecture already there, though the attractions and shows inside are getting moldier by the day.

But given enough funds and the right talent, DHS could see a turnaround that could rival the stunning rocketship ride to fabulous success that DCA has taken in the last 9 months.

But the DHS Backlot Tram Tour will always suck, since it will always be in a fake movie studio in a Florida swamp. So if a DCA style Extreme Makeover with a 1+ Billion Dollar budget is coming to DHS, they should just pull the plug on the Tram Tour and hope people forget about it.

Longhairbear

The thing with DHS though is that the bones are very good. It will take a lot of money to get the place fixed, at least as much as the 1.2 Billion they spent on DCA in 2008-2012. But the foundation is solid, the opening act of the park is great and won't need any work, and there's some very nicely done architecture already there, though the attractions and shows inside are getting moldier by the day.

But given enough funds and the right talent, DHS could see a turnaround that could rival the stunning rocketship ride to fabulous success that DCA has taken in the last 9 months.

But the DHS Backlot Tram Tour will always suck, since it will always be in a fake movie studio in a Florida swamp. So if a DCA style Extreme Makeover with a 1+ Billion Dollar budget is coming to DHS, they should just pull the plug on the Tram Tour and hope people forget about it.
The one thing that always bothered me about the backlot tour was the queue. To my mind, it should be an attraction in itself for movie buffs like I. I was never in line long enough to enjoy all the items on display. It was like being rushed through the American History Museum at the Smithsonian.
We once participated in the effects tank, me getting soaked in the tugboat. I would have paid many dollars for the video, which wasn't offered. And of course we never saw the video of us. That was a huge letdown.
Can you imagine how many You Tube posts there would be of this attraction if families could post the final edit version of themselves on the high seas?
In essence, guests would pay to entertain other guests, AND and pay/give free advertising to DHS.

bassman02

I completely agree with everyone.BLT has been bad and a must miss attraction for me since 2000.
But I see what someone else mentioned in that if they just closed it,DHS isn't left with many rides left.DHS seriously need a new land,and that's why Carsland would work so well.
Or failing that a monsters inc land,or wreck it Ralph

DHS just needs to be made bigger.

George1995

Scrap the Back Lot Tour for sure. I went on it once when I was really young and thought it was kind of cool but now I find it to be a waste of time. I say put something unique to WDW there like a monsters inc land like Bassman02 said. I think it would draw more people to DHS to see something they can only see in that park.

saxamoophone

The thing with the BLT is that it's a shadow of what it used to be. That being said, it was THE original attraction, and the "highlight" of the park back in the early 90s when it opened. For the sake of keeping some of the parks original history I'd love to see it worked into Pixar Land (or maybe a muppets land?). Picture a ride in the fictional "Pixar Backlot" where the characters come alive. Where you can see the Monsters, Incredibles, Brave, Toy Story Gang etc in a bunch of mini adventures.

The park used to be about a working studio...and we all know that isn't the case anymore (and it's quite awkward to CMs when guests ask "What's filming here today"), but it would be a nice tribute to the original park to keep some of the "studio" feel.

The fact BLT is also a SUPER high capacity ride doesn't hurt either (especially if LMA is going away).

bassman02

The thing with the BLT is that it's a shadow of what it used to be. That being said, it was THE original attraction, and the "highlight" of the park back in the early 90s when it opened. For the sake of keeping some of the parks original history I'd love to see it worked into Pixar Land (or maybe a muppets land?). Picture a ride in the fictional "Pixar Backlot" where the characters come alive. Where you can see the Monsters, Incredibles, Brave, Toy Story Gang etc in a bunch of mini adventures.

The park used to be about a working studio...and we all know that isn't the case anymore (and it's quite awkward to CMs when guests ask "What's filming here today"), but it would be a nice tribute to the original park to keep some of the "studio" feel.

The fact BLT is also a SUPER high capacity ride doesn't hurt either (especially if LMA is going away).
I like this idea.especially the Pixar studio tour.it could evenbe kind of like toon town in the 'who framed roger rabbit' movie.where the characters are just doing their job,and you see them relaxing (in their own way) between takes,just like a real studio.:) heck maybe not even just Pixar,why not build a mammoth toon studios.so the fab 5,disney princesses.everyone.that would be amazing.:)

Beholder

I look forward to a sizable investment in DHS. New attractions, new layout and a new direction. Drop the pretense of a working studio, embrace the "Hollywood that never was" idea, and go big. Will this happen the way it needs to? I certainly hope so. This a park based on a concept with limitless ideas and possibilities. I love ToT and it's look and feel. Build around that, use that as the jumping off point. Vary the offerings, but make it all tied to the intent and vision of the dedication.

And lose the hat.

lazyboy97o

I like this idea.especially the Pixar studio tour.it could evenbe kind of like toon town in the 'who framed roger rabbit' movie.where the characters are just doing their job,and you see them relaxing (in their own way) between takes,just like a real studio.:) heck maybe not even just Pixar,why not build a mammoth toon studios.so the fab 5,disney princesses.everyone.that would be amazing.:)
The whole allure of the Universal Studios Hollywood Tram Tour is that you are going through an actual studios that is not even occasionally being used, but is in constant use throughout the year. That flurry of activity never happened in Florida and Universal pulled the plug on their trams quickly, but Disney has kept there's around. It just doesn't work anymore. The park also has an animation facility that has similarly been abandoned. As it is, Disney could pay people to pretend to be filming something, but that means paying a lot of actors and actors aren't cheap.

bassman02

This
The whole allure of the Universal Studios Hollywood Tram Tour is that you are going through an actual studios that is not even occasionally being used, but is in constant use throughout the year. That flurry of activity never happened in Florida and Universal pulled the plug on their trams quickly, but Disney has kept there's around. It just doesn't work anymore. The park also has an animation facility that has similarly been abandoned. As it is, Disney could pay people to pretend to be filming something, but that means paying a lot of actors and actors aren't cheap.
This is very true.
I loved the USH tram because of is showing a completely functioning real production studio.the feeling you get (or i get,dont know about anyone else) when looking at a genuine movie or tv show being filmed has a certain thing about it.and the backlot tour never gave me that feeling,even when DHS was a working studio.

I agree that hiring a load of actors to act as characters purely to act as if they are on a working set would be extremely expensive.
Plus can you imagine how to advertise the role.
"We need people to play characters who are playing characters playing characters..." .......haha

It would be a cool though I think but not really plausible financially.:(

agahn1m

Well even from the beginning this park seems to have just shot itself in the leg. Expecting to be "Hollywood East" were slight illusions of grandeur. But alas, like Joe Rohdes said, theme is a noun, not a verb, you can't retheme this park, as to say, this park has a beautiful theme as well as great architecture and excellent intentions, all you can do now is make it a "what if hollywood park" ... and please, for the love of God, bring back the street actors, I almost feel as if they take away the parades and were to bring back more street actors ( then again i'm biased against parades >.> lol) it would bring life back to the park. At times, this park feels like an extension to another park :( sorry for the incoherent rant lol, I just feel like MK is the only park that should really bring back "nostalgia", aside from that, all the other parks should constantly push forward and to not be afraid to try something new. ...well those are my lengthy 2 cents lol.

Beholder

@agahn1m Yes, Yes, Yes! Please bring back the street actors. The first time my wife ever got to go to WDW, she got to play along with a period set of comedians. It was brilliant and she was completely sold on the Disney "magic". It's details like this that when eliminated, really erode the overall atmosphere.

Unplugged

Agreed on bringing back the street actors. When they were fully used (how long ago was that :rolleyes:), it was really a great way to pull guests into the fun as you passed through the park. It felt less strip mall like and more old Hollywood like. I miss those days.

Come on Disney, bring us a "Studios" we can love again!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Agreed on bringing back the street actors. When they were fully used (how long ago was that :rolleyes:), it was really a great way to pull guests into the fun as you passed through the park. It felt less strip mall like and more old Hollywood like. I miss those days.

Come on Disney, bring us a "Studios" we can love again!

I see street actors every trip...though they are not as common as they used to be (no more small groups, now they all have a car and props with a little show, for the most part)...

But, they are still there, and still funny.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom