DHS CARS LAND

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
See, I don't even see much potential in those stories.

Do we need prequels for these characters? I mean, we've already seen what a prequel can do to a character like Boba Fett's mystique. Sometimes less is more.

As far as mystique goes, I really didn't like the mystique of the force being killed. Much, much better when it was metaphysical as opposed to a measurable blood condition.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I can't agree at all. The "only tentpole" way of thinking is one that will eventually fail. It's an if not a when.

For all the flack people give Disney about the parks here, the studios are run much, much more poorly.

I don't look at it as "only tentpole". A tent-pole, traditionally, is the big film that makes huge money compensating for other stuff that doesn't. So if the tent-pole fails, you're in big trouble. I think Disney's strategy results in 6-8 potential big films a year, rather than 1 or 2, so that there are NO tentpoles. That is, there is not one film that is a "must hit" for the studio, a la John Carter.

Rodan75

I think John Carter proved they can have a big gamble fail and still succeed overall, the sting was small, so now they can continue their 'big film' strategy.

Rodan75

While I disagree with the strategy, I believe rodan is refferig to overall success rather than the success of John Carter.

Simply, they can lose big on a movie but still do well overall.

Thank you, yes that is what I meant.

There is an energy around Disney movies right now that is pretty cool, one that I miss from Fox, WB and Uni these days.

I agree that a franchise only strategy will burn out eventually...I just think we are still we are a good 5 years away from that...plenty of time to rotate fresh material into the pipeline.

AswaySuller

So I'm currently sat outside "starring rolls cafe" and wow.... The backlot tour sucks...

Exhibit A of why Carsland needs to go there!
I could put up with Michael Bay talking about a 15 year old flop but i draw the line on what happened next.... the first "special effects section" was rambled through by a guy who's English was as bad as his presentation skills and the "water dumpers" weren't working! So no volunteers, no guest interaction/participation just air cannons and fire goin off seemingly randomly.

Then the shuffle through props room of things that may or may not have been used in movies you may or may not have seen.... 20 years ago!

The tour itself was a shadow of its former self, a pre-recorded voice over artist that was barely audible instead of a real guide (I know it's been this wat for a while but still!).

The boneyard was pathetic... No signs of what movies the things were from you're simply left to guess!!!!

Catastrophe canyon was mildly entertaining 21 years ago but not now....

I know I'm picky, but other guests were visibly confused and lost. First timers commenting on the poor quality...

That was something I would expect to see in Granada studios when I was growing up as a kid in Cheshire (look it up)!!!

It needs to go... I don't even care if its not carsland!

misterID

John Carter was okay as a film but it was a failure, and one in a long line of failures for Disney Films over the past few years. People were fired over those failures. Nothing good came out of it. The only thing that saved Disney's film division butt was the IP spending spree Iger went on.

wdwfan4ver

So I'm currently sat outside "starring rolls cafe" and wow.... The backlot tour sucks...

I could put up with Michael Bay talking about a 15 year old flop but i draw the line on what happened next.... the first "special effects section" was rambled through by a guy who's English was as bad as his presentation skills and the "water dumpers" weren't working! So no volunteers, no guest interaction/participation just air cannons and fire goin off seemingly randomly.

Then the shuffle through props room of things that may or may not have been used in movies you may or may not have seen.... 20 years ago!

The tour itself was a shadow of its former self, a pre-recorded voice over artist that was barely audible instead of a real guide (I know it's been this wat for a while but still!).

The boneyard was pathetic... No signs of what movies the things were from you're simply left to guess!!!!

I know I'm picky, but other guests were visibly confused and lost. First timers commenting on the poor quality...

That was something I would expect to see in Granada studios when I was growing up as a kid in Cheshire (look it up)!!!

I see that Backlot Tour hasn't changed since I last saw it in 2007 or 2008. I agree that the backlot tour needs to go.

articos

If the Ops person didn't have a proper command of English, and the audience had that type of reaction, please go say something at GR on your way out tonight. That should be addressed.

Californian Elitist

I bet it really sucks after going on Universal Hollywood's backlot tour.

Seriously, if it's that pathetic, Disney needs to get rid of it and quit playing around.

TP2000

Ah. It sounds like the Backlot Tour hasn't changed much since the last time I rode it in '09 during my YOMD visit. It was painful in 2009, so I believe your comments on what it must be like in 2013.

I don't think they can get rid of it though, not until they have a solid headliner attraction to replace it, because it is one of only six (6) rides in that theme park and a high-capacity, lengthy ride-time one at that. They are really stuck with it until they bulldoze it for Radiator Springs Racers, or whatever they have planned.

TP2000

Even when the DHS Backlot Tram Tour was new and at the very top of its game in the early 1990's, it was a pale comparison to the 60+ minute long GlamourTram Tour at Universal Studios Hollywood. But the DHS tour did used to be much better 20+ years ago.

But DHS could get away with it in 1990 because Hollywood is 3,000 miles away and they were betting that most of the East Coast/Midwest and European tourists going to WDW had never been to Universal Studios Hollywood and so they had no point of reference for what a real tram tour through a working movie studio could be like.

But now, even if an East Coaster has never been to Universal Studios Hollywood in SoCal, I think it's easy to realize the Backlot Tram Tour at DHS is not in the best of shape.

wdwfan4ver

Seriously, if it's that pathetic, Disney needs to get rid of it and quit playing around.
I can't comment on Universal since I never went there, but I can comment on the backlot tour.
It can tell you that its that pathetic as AswaySuller said. It hasn't changed since the last time I went on the Backlot tour based on the fact there still was . When the last time at the Backlot tour 5 to 6 years ago, the water from Catastrophe canyon wasn't even working at the time. At the time, Backlot tour wasn't even past the special effects section.

The Backlot tour wasn't always this pathetic. I saw the Backlot on my first trip to WDW in 1991. The backlot tour in 1991 was much better than it is now. The Backlot Tour in 1991 based on my memory was much longer and DHS even had a working studio at the time.

The Backlot Tour got shorter years ago and DHS was stopped having a work studio years ago by Eisner. That means the Backlot Tour wasn't a true backlot tour in since the late 1990's or early 2000's.

Californian Elitist

Even when the DHS Backlot Tram Tour was new and at the very top of its game in the early 1990's, it was a pale comparison to the 60+ minute long GlamourTram Tour at Universal Studios Hollywood. But the DHS tour did used to be much better 20+ years ago.

But DHS could get away with it in 1990 because Hollywood is 3,000 miles away and they were betting that most of the East Coast/Midwest and European tourists going to WDW had never been to Universal Studios Hollywood and so they had no point of reference for what a real tram tour through a working movie studio could be like.

But now, even if an East Coaster has never been to Universal Studios Hollywood in SoCal, I think it's easy to realize the Backlot Tram Tour at DHS is not in the best of shape.

I don't know what Disney was thinking, trying to do the LA/Hollywood thing in Florida. They should have known that wasn't going to happen. And now look what they've got. Or should I say, what they don't have? A decent tour.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom