DHS CARS LAND

PeterAlt

Ok ... you do realise there were other attractions that featured Muppets that didn't get green lit like for instance Muppet Motor Mania right? Pirates land for HKDL, etc.
I'm not familiar with the HKDL attractions. They could build the Great Muppet Ride today at DHS (minus the required updates) if they wanted to (and they should). It was that far advanced in its development. I know other attractions were planned and developed for the Muppet section of DHS. In fact, if you look around outside of the Muppet 3D movie, you will see the area was made as part of that land. So, actually, construction of the Muppet land did start and suddenly ended.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
My comment was merely to say that contracts are made to be ended or broken. As the parent company of the licensee, TWDC could force the issue, when it is economically viable.

The only way they can end the contract is to pay Universal enough to give it up. With currently popularity of Marvel that number would probably be far to high to be worthwhile.

SirLink

I'm not familiar with the HKDL attractions. They could build the Great Muppet Ride today at DHS (minus the required updates) if they wanted to (and they should). It was that far advanced in its development. I know other attractions were planned and developed for the Muppet section if DHS. In fact, if you look around outside of the Muppet 3D movie, you will see the area was made as part of that land. So, actually, construction of the Muppet land did start and suddenly ended.

*white noise*

So what was your point again?

PeterAlt

The only way they can end the contract is to pay Universal enough to give it up. With currently popularity of Marvel that number would probably be far to high to be worthwhile.
Or do some type of barter deal with Comcast. When the Disney channels are up for renewal, maybe it could be brought up.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
During the 90's, they tried that with Dick Tracy Crime Stoppers. They developed the ride in conjunction to the movie. When the movie was released, they were about to start constructing it, but it bombed and construction was cancelled. Since then, they never developed rides with their counterpart movies at the same time. Development of rides - built or not- isn't cheap, takes time, and uses precious WDI human resources. So, essentially, all that time, money, and human resources spent on Crime Stoppers was wasted.
Tough to be a Bug had the distinction of opening before the movie it is based on did. Shame about Crimestoppers though. It would have been amazing, even if it was a clone from MGM-Europe.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Or do some type of barter deal with Comcast. When the Disney channels are up for renewal, maybe it could be brought up.

I wouldn't think there would be much leverage there, Comcast probably get's as much benefit from carrying Disney's channels and Disney gets from Comcast carrying them. You really think Comcast would threaten to drop ESPN?

SirLink

Tough to be a Bug had the distinction of opening before the movie it is based on did. Shame about Crimestoppers though. It would have been amazing, even if it was a clone from MGM-Europe.

Crimestoppers nearly went into Disney Sea so there was that, actually with Crimestoppers change the theme ever so lightly could work as Indy attraction but hey ho...

PeterAlt

I wouldn't think there would be much leverage there, Comcast probably get's as much benefit from carrying Disney's channels and Disney gets from Comcast carrying them. You really think Comcast would threaten to drop ESPN?
No, but the planned fee hikes that every programmer pushes for during the rounds could be dropped, for example, if Comcast agrees to make changes to the Marvel-Uni deal.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Agreed. There's no swap to be had. Different segments within the corporations, and they're not going to be swayed by the (remotely possible) wants and desires of the P&R divisions.

PeterAlt

Agreed. There's no swap to be had. Different segments within the corporations, and they're not going to be swayed by the (remotely possible) wants and desires of the P&R divisions.
It's something Iger must want personally. If I were CEO, it would constantly be on my mind. If it's on his mind (which it should) and he wants it to happen, the odds of it actually happening increase, even though we can't see anything obvious he could leverage. Someone who wants it bad enough will find something. Both are huge companies with interwoven interests in almost every division of their respective companies.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It's something Iger must want personally. If I were CEO, it would constantly be on my mind. If it's on his mind (which it should) and he wants it to happen, the odds of it actually happening increase, even though we can't see anything obvious he could leverage. Someone who wants it bad enough will find something. Both are huge companies with interwoven interests in almost every division of their respective companies.

Which is precisely why trying to raise channel rates or licensing fees or some other absurd tactic as part of a "swap" involving the P&R divisions will not take place, regardless of how many times you bring it up. The entities are intertwined in too many ways, and will continue to be so, that rocking the boat for the sake of one contract that both sides are content with will not happen.

PeterAlt

Which is precisely why trying to raise channel rates or licensing fees or some other absurd tactic as part of a "swap" involving the P&R divisions will not take place, regardless of how many times you bring it up. The entities are intertwined in too many ways, and will continue to be so, that rocking the boat for the sake of one contract that both sides are content with will not happen.
No, I'm thinking of a friendly barter. Not a mean aggressive hostage deal that they could force on them. What I meant by the rate thing was applied in the event that Comcast already expects to pay higher fees. Disney could use a friendly gesture of offering to freeze rates for x number of years.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
No, I'm thinking of a friendly barter. Not a mean aggressive hostage deal that they could force on them. What I meant by the rate thing was applied in the event that Comcast already expects to pay higher fees. Disney could use a friendly gesture of offering to freeze rates for x number of years.

Ok, there's no bartering, no swapping, no exchanging except for those theories in your mind. It's not going to happen. Two separate divisions, and too much money at stake to go mucking about over a P&R contract both sides are content with. Let it go.....

danlb_2000

Premium Member

With a deal this size I doubt it would be a friendly barter.

Where was it said that this is something he wants? There are plenty of other Disney parks where Marvel can be used and almost 4 years after the acquisition there nothing concrete under construction yet. Disney is doing just fine with the Marvel movies which show a much quicker and easier return on the investment then a theme park attraction would.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom