DHS CARS LAND

lazyboy97o

Yep, it's one of my favorite examples of the inter-relationship between media companies. Universal has the theme park right to Harry Potter, but Disney has the broadcast rights via ABC and ABC Family which a lot of people get access to via Comcast who owns Universal. :)
And while taking the Studio Tour at the Universal Studios Hollywood you might even see filming for an upcoming Walt Disney Pictures release!

RSoxNo1

Tough to be a Bug had the distinction of opening before the movie it is based on did. Shame about Crimestoppers though. It would have been amazing, even if it was a clone from MGM-Europe.
It also opened without Kevin Spacey's voice. Brad Bird did the voice of Hopper in the attraction.

SirLink

I don't. They could keep that. I just want Disney to legally build their Marvel properties wherever they wish without having the threat of lawsuit hovering over their shoulders all the time.

Two resorts want them, two don't mind having them, 1 doesn't want them and 1 can't use them ... hope that helps.

PeterAlt

But there is no threat of a lawsuit. Disney acquired Marvel with full knowledge of the Universal contract and they know what limitations it puts on them. Disney probably has 1000's of contracts like this, I doubt Iger is loosing much sleep over this one. If he is, then it's probably time for a new CEO. Do you think the CEO of Comcast looses sleep over the fact that Disney has the broadcast rights to Harry Potter?
Yes, there is that threat of a lawsuits and they can't use their own property in Florida. Do you recall the recent lawsuit threats because Disney wanted to put a Marvel overlay on one of the monorails? They had the same mess with film rights as that was complicated by a similar deal made by Paramount (for Marvel film rights), but this was straightened out (thank goodness).

SirLink

Yes, there is that threat of a lawsuits and they can't use their own property in Florida. Do you recall the recent lawsuit threats because Disney wanted to put a Marvel overlay on one of the monorails? They had the same mess with film rights as that was complicated by a similar deal made by Paramount (for Marvel film rights), but this was straightened out (thank goodness).

Apart from Fantastic Four/Dare Devil/Electra/Ghost Rider/Xmen with Fox and they allowed Sony to keep the rights for Films for Spiderman.

Even the Paramount deal wasn't cut and dry ... but the Marvel Film Universe is more or less in one place if you ignore Xmen, etc.

flynnibus

Premium Member
how I feel after reading these last few pages..

Al_Bundy_Gun_To_Head.jpg

please stop the madness

Californian Elitist

I have less of an extent with Potter in Hollywood because that is still a day park. They're also not doing a direct clone, they're cloning Forbidden Journey, but they're also ramping up what they're doing in Hollywood compared to the current IOA counterpart.

I haven't heard that. I do know that Despicable Me's facade will have more details in Hollywood, given the space it's going in. I haven't heard anything about Potter, except the fact that it's coming.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The Avengers overlay obviously wasn't a big deal since they now have plans to do an Iron Man 3 wrap.

PeterAlt

Apart from Fantastic Four/Dare Devil/Electra/Ghost Rider/Xmen with Fox and they allowed Sony to keep the rights for Films for Spiderman.

Even the Paramount deal wasn't cut and dry ... but the Marvel Film Universe is more or less in one place if you ignore Xmen, etc.
Which is much better than doing nothing. Now they need to make similar arrangements with Comcast.

PeterAlt

No, no it is not ... if you want to see Marvel go on a plane to DLPR sometime in the later of the next decade, or go to HKDL when Marvel opens up there.
I couldn't care less about Marvel. It's a matter of principle. Just like maintenance is a matter of principle. If they don't claim those rights, others will step all over them down the road and they will start being pushed over by other companies - who will use this as a weakness and a precedent for other things.

Californian Elitist

I can't understand, as a Disney fan, why you wouldn't be with me on this issue. As long as I am a Disney fan, I can never let such an important issue go. This is as important as the maintenance issue.

It's because it's not important. So they can't put Marvel in Florida. Woop-dee-do. So what? It's really not that big of a deal. It's ONE franchise. Wow. You should be happy Marvel can be put in the States at all.

PeterAlt

Oh it's totally about Marvel to you, which is why you always bring up the Iron Man attraction. You even said you wanted the Iron Man attraction in Florida, even though no one has even seen what this attraction looks like.
I haven't even seen the new movie yet.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I can't understand, as a Disney fan, why you wouldn't be with me on this issue. As long as I am a Disney fan, I can never let such an important issue go. This is as important as the maintenance issue.

Personally, As a Disney Company fan I am ok with this. The Marvel movies are doing quite well for Disney and have justified the money they have spent on the acquisition. Disney also is likely making a nice amount of money from the deal with Universal, money that comes with zero risk and is almost pure profit. Last think I want to see is Disney dump a huge amount of money into trying to get out of the contract just on principle, that would be a bad business decision.

SirLink

I couldn't care less about Marvel. It's a matter of principle.

It's not. Only to you ... am I interested in what they do in the Hong Kong and Paris sure, there are more important issues like the show quality issues across property I care more about...

Nevertheless, they were bullied by a legal threat.

They aren't... THEY KNEW IT WAS A PERPETUAL CONTRACT WHEN THEY BOUGHT MARVEL!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom