DHS CARS LAND

PeterAlt

Ok, there's no bartering, no swapping, no exchanging except for those theories in your mind. It's not going to happen. Two separate divisions, and too much money at stake to go mucking about over a P&R contract both sides are content with. Let it go.....
As I said, the odds of it happening are increased if Iger wants it. If not, you're absolutely 100% right because there's no motivation coming from the top for it. If he does want it, however, everything I said is applicable. I have no earthly clue what he's thinking, but I know what I would be thinking if I were in his shoes - and I know what you wouldn't be thinking if you were in his position.

PeterAlt

With a deal this size I doubt it would be a friendly barter.

Where was it said that this is something he wants? There are plenty of other Disney parks where Marvel can be used and almost 4 years after the acquisition there nothing concrete under construction yet. Disney is doing just fine with the Marvel movies which show a much quicker and easier return on the investment then a theme park attraction would.
Exactly. See my follow-up.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
As I said, the odds of it happening is increased if Iger wants it. If not, you're absolutely 100% right because there's no motivation coming from the top for it. If he does want it, however, everything I said is applicable. I have no early clue what he's thinking, but I know what I would be thinking if I were in his shoes - and I know what you wouldn't be thinking if you were in his position.

Neither of us are in his shoes, which is just another reason such a trade off will never take place.....

BryceM

No, but the planned fee hikes that every programmer pushes for during the rounds could be dropped, for example, if Comcast agrees to make changes to the Marvel-Uni deal.
Aw, why do you want to get rid of Marvel Super Hero Island, and more importantly, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man so badly? :(

It'd be a shame for Marvel Super Hero Island to have to be removed from Islands of Adventure and have all of the rides re-themed...

PeterAlt

Neither of us are in his shoes, which is just another reason such a trade off will never take place.....
If I collected a dollar for every time someone told me something would never happen...

Never mind.

Never say never because even the seemingly impossible happens from time to time.

PeterAlt

Aw, why do you want to get rid of Marvel Super Hero Island, and more importantly, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man so badly? :(

It'd be a shame for Marvel Super Hero Island to have to be removed from Islands of Adventure and have all of the rides re-themed...
I don't. They could keep that. I just want Disney to legally build their Marvel properties wherever they wish without having the threat of lawsuit hovering over their shoulders all the time.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't. They could keep that. I just want Disney to legally build their Marvel properties wherever they wish without having the threat of lawsuit hovering over their shoulders all the time.

But there is no threat of a lawsuit. Disney acquired Marvel with full knowledge of the Universal contract and they know what limitations it puts on them. Disney probably has 1000's of contracts like this, I doubt Iger is loosing much sleep over this one. If he is, then it's probably time for a new CEO. Do you think the CEO of Comcast looses sleep over the fact that Disney has the broadcast rights to Harry Potter?

PeterAlt

But there is no threat of a lawsuit. Disney acquired Marvel with full knowledge of the Universal contract and they know what limitations it puts on them. Disney probably has 1000's of contracts like this, I doubt Iger is loosing much sleep over this one. If he is, then it's probably time for a new CEO. Do you think the CEO of Comcast looses sleep over the fact that Disney has the broadcast rights to Harry Potter?
They do? Now, there's our barter!!!!!

BryceM

I honestly don't see why it's such a big deal. Universal had the rights first. Sorry. It's just the way things are and they can built Marvel in the other parks around the world, as been proven by the recent HKDL announcement.

Plus, don't you think it would be weird to have a Marvel land at Universal, then another at Disney? In the same area? 15 minutes away?

I do.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They do? Now, there's our barter!!!!!

Yep, it's one of my favorite examples of the inter-relationship between media companies. Universal has the theme park right to Harry Potter, but Disney has the broadcast rights via ABC and ABC Family which a lot of people get access to via Comcast who owns Universal. :)

PeterAlt

I honestly don't see why it's such a big deal. Universal had the rights first. Sorry. It's just the way things are and they can built Marvel in the other parks around the world, as been proven by the recent HKDL announcement.

Plus, don't you think it would be weird to have a Marvel land at Universal, then another at Disney? In the same area? 15 minutes away?

I do.
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about very specific Marvel properties, not a Marvel land. In fact, there would be little (if any) overlap.

PeterAlt

Yep, it's one of my favorite examples of the inter-relationship between media companies. Universal has the theme park right to Harry Potter, but Disney has the broadcast rights via ABC and ABC Family which a lot of people get access to via Comcast who owns Universal. :)
There we go. Case closed. Now, I can sleep at night. If Iger and Roberts want to it, it's up to them.

PeterAlt

Well, until it does perhaps you can stop bringing it up every time there's a modicum of relevance to the thread at hand?
I only brought it up because I was talking about why Carsland at DHS must happen. In fact, I didn't bring it up, I was lead their because I had to explain my position on Carsland.

PeterAlt

How utterly convenient for you.....
And my rationale for why CL must happen was because revising the Marvel deal wasn't happening. I was making a point for why it should and I was agreeing with you that revising the Marvel deal wasn't happening (but it should).

RSoxNo1

This is the problem I have with Potter in Hollywood.
I have less of an extent with Potter in Hollywood because that is still a day park. They're also not doing a direct clone, they're cloning Forbidden Journey, but they're also ramping up what they're doing in Hollywood compared to the current IOA counterpart.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom