DHS CARS LAND

Californian Elitist

At least now Universal Orlando is getting a Phase 2, which will keep some of Harry Potter exclusive to the Florida parks.

I wasn't talking about exclusivity, though I do wish we in California were getting something else. It's about its relevancy. Potter in Hollywood is expected to be completed between 2015 and 2016. Potter opened in Orlando, what? In 2010, 2011? That's a huge gap in between. By the time it opens here in Hollywood, yes, we'll be happy it's here, but at the same time I most likely won't be that excited because we had to wait so long.

yeti

I rode it again...twice last week infact...I'm still not seeing what you guys are saying with this one! The audio is muffled, it's way to dark, you don't spend enough time in the main room, they went cheap on some of the effects (laser eye should have a real fire blast, not just smoke and lights, giant snake is lame, so is dark hallway where they have projections of bugs on the walls), and the movement of the vehicle gives you whiplash! I'm REALLY trying to like it...REALLY trying. The queue is nice!

Like Forbidden Journey, while it's got its share of dark areas, the technology and the storytelling are unprecedented. You have to understand, a ride system that simulates off-road terrain so realistically...it was just ingenious, especially at the time it was conceived. And the IP is perfect for the area. At the end of the day the whole package and placemaking just worked. While I'd hand that particular trophy over to PotC in California, there's no question that Indy is anything short of spectacular.

|Q|

I just don't understand the righteous indignation of those against putting Carsland in Florida.

It's not indignation... it's just it looks so lazy as a way to operate. I think the right way to do these things it's the Nemo way. There are 3 different Nemo ride around the world (DLR, Epcot and WDS in Paris) using most of the same show elements, but each one with a different ride system (submarines, omnimover, spinning coaster), so they can split most of the R&D cost and still provide different experience in different places. Btw, i really don't understand why TSMM has the same game scenes in each resort. It would be so easy to make variants of each scene exclusive to each version of the attraction!

G00fyDad

It's not indignation... it's just it looks so lazy as a way to operate. I think the right way to do these things it's the Nemo way. There are 3 different Nemo ride around the world (DLR, Epcot and WDS in Paris) using most of the same show elements, but each one with a different ride system (submarines, omnimover, spinning coaster), so they can split most of the R&D cost and still provide different experience in different places. Btw, i really don't understand why TSMM has the same game scenes in each resort. It would be so easy to make variants of each scene exclusive to each version of the attraction!

I'd be happy with a functioning shooter. :oops:

FlaMel

For those who keep bringing up Marvel, Disney cannot create Marvel themed attractions in Florida for the time being. It was part of the contract when they purchased Marvel fron Uni.

To be clear, The Walt Disney Company did not buy Marvel from Universal, or Uni's parent company. TWDC purchased Marvel Entertainment for $4 billion. Marvel was its own, publicly held company. The deal had to be approved by the Marvel BOD and Marvel shareholders, it had nothing to do with Universal. At the same time, Universal had a contract in place with Marvel Entertainment that gave them exclusive rights to use the Marvel name and to develop certain Marvel properties into shows, attractions, merchandise, etc. In the future, when TWDC decides it is time to no longer renew or break the contract with Universal, they will do so.

RSoxNo1

why are you only focusing on Clones?
People (and Disney) focus on clones because they understand clones. Clones make sense to them and they're easier to quantify based on previous earnings. For every Radiator Springs Racers, there's a Mission: SPACE that doesn't fulfill expectations.

Clones are the function of a bunch of people that have been programmed how to think as opposed to people that can think for themselves.

lazyboy97o

To be clear, The Walt Disney Company did not buy Marvel from Universal, or Uni's parent company. TWDC purchased Marvel Entertainment for $4 billion. Marvel was its own, publicly held company. The deal had to be approved by the Marvel BOD and Marvel shareholders, it had nothing to do with Universal. At the same time, Universal had a contract in place with Marvel Entertainment that gave them exclusive rights to use the Marvel name and to develop certain Marvel properties into shows, attractions, merchandise, etc. In the future, when TWDC decides it is time to no longer renew or break the contract with Universal, they will do so.
The agreement is perpetual. It'll end when Universal decides its time to end it.

PeterAlt

it would make sense to me to possibly develop attractions in conjunction withe movies rather than build on the previous 6. Since Lucas is now "in house", it wouldnt be hard to pass along movie details to WDI.
During the 90's, they tried that with Dick Tracy Crime Stoppers. They developed the ride in conjunction to the movie. When the movie was released, they were about to start constructing it, but it bombed and construction was cancelled. Since then, they never developed rides with their counterpart movies at the same time. Development of rides - built or not- isn't cheap, takes time, and uses precious WDI human resources. So, essentially, all that time, money, and human resources spent on Crime Stoppers was wasted.

SirLink

During the 90's, they tried that with Dick Tracy Crime Stoppers. They developed the ride in conjunction to the movie. When the movie was released, they were about to start constructing it, but it bombed and construction was cancelled. Since then, they never developed rides with their counterpart movies at the same time. Development of rides - built or not- isn't cheap, takes time, and uses precious WDI human resources. So, essentially, all that time, money, and human resources spent on Crime Stoppers was wasted.

That is more of the Chicken and the Egg philosophy, you develop the ride to want people who visit the park to go see the movie, buy it digitally/vhs/dvd/blu-ray/laser disk/holo disk and buy the merch associated with the film...oh and if it is a killer attraction it reinforces the notion that the movie is awesome.

Oh BTW they do develop attraction "concepts" by speed teams during a film's development...oh and going back to Crimestoppers OLC nearly bought it.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
I rode it again...twice last week infact...I'm still not seeing what you guys are saying with this one! The audio is muffled, it's way to dark, you don't spend enough time in the main room, they went cheap on some of the effects (laser eye should have a real fire blast, not just smoke and lights, giant snake is lame, so is dark hallway where they have projections of bugs on the walls), and the movement of the vehicle gives you whiplash! I'm REALLY trying to like it...REALLY trying. The queue is nice!
Just YouTube'd it for the first time.
Loved the queue. The ride system seems to be the same as Dinosaur, which I love. Kind of seemed like a Universal Mummy/Dinosaur hybrid.
All in all, I say yes please. The Indy show currently in DHS is old and tired, and is skippable every other trip. This would be fabulous as either a compliment to or replacement of the stunt show.

PeterAlt

Did I say GL attraction, nope said Star Wars - they are probably sitting on a done of pitched concepts that didn't get green lit for one reason or another, same with The Muppets, Pirates and original attractions. If they can't design new ones use the ones from the draws...
What are you talking about? First, The Great Muppet Ride was very, very advanced into into its development phases. It would have happened, with the rest of the Muppet-themed land at DHS if this annoying thing called death didn't happen to Jim Henson - and his family would have just closed the deal instead of fighting with Eisner over Big Bird (really, that is what killed the deal). I have no idea what you're referring to with Pirates. Pirates was the last attraction that Walt himself personally managed before his death (what an annoyance - wish they would stop doing that). For WDW, in the place of Pirates, Western River Expedition was to be built, with ambition and scope much greater than DL's version of Pirates. WRE was Roy O. Disney's pet project, but he too couldn't resist doing that annoying death thing. His successor cancelled WRE and built a shorter cheaper version of Pirates quickly in its place.

lazyboy97o

Developing attractions in conjunction with films was one of the promises of the Pixar acquisition.

lazyboy97o

Just YouTube'd it for the first time.
Loved the queue. The ride system seems to be the same as Dinosaur, which I love. Kind of seemed like a Universal Mummy/Dinosaur hybrid.
All in all, I say yes please. The Indy show currently in DHS is old and tired, and is skippable every other trip. This would be fabulous as either a compliment to or replacement of the stunt show.
Dinosaur uses the same ride system and a very similar track layout as the Indiana Jones Adventure.

SirLink

What are you talking about? First, The Great Muppet Ride was very, very advanced into into its development phases. It would have happened, with the rest of the Muppet-themed land at DHS if this annoying thing called death didn't happen to Jim Henson - and his family would have just closed the deal instead of fighting with Eisner over Big Bird (really, that is what killed the deal). I have no idea what you're referring to with Pirates. Pirates was the last attraction that Walt himself personally managed before his death (what an annoyance - wish they would stop doing that). For WDW, in the place of Pirates, Western River Expedition was to be built, with ambition and scope much greater than DL's version of Pirates. WRE was Roy O. Disney's pet project, but he too couldn't resist doing that annoying death thing. His successor cancelled WRE and built a shorter cheaper version of Pirates quickly in its place.

Ok ... you do realise there were other attractions that featured Muppets that didn't get green lit like for instance Muppet Motor Mania right? Pirates land for HKDL, etc.

RSoxNo1

One of the best?

No.

It's THE best ride in any US Disney park.
(IMNSHO)
It's in the discussion. In California I'd say Pirates, Space Mountain, Indy and Radiator Springs Racers. In Florida I'd say Splash (when fully operational), Tower of Terror, and Kilimanjaro Safaris

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom