DHS CARS LAND

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I would LOVE to see Crush Coaster in WDW! It is the best ride at Disney Studios Paris!!!
Really? It's good but not brilliant. And the WDSP version has a few technical flaws. Don't get me wrong.... Im not saying it is planned for DHS. More that its size is comparable to Monsters.

wdwfan4ver

As for Lucas, the echo lake area already has Star Tours and the Indy Stunt show. If they were to build up a Lucas Films area they would need to probably use the existing expansion plot into the parking lot. They could add an Indy themed restaurant (with monkey brains on the menu) and possibly a clone of the Indy ride from DLR which is amazing (in my top 5 favorite Disney rides). The rest of the land would convert the American idol experience and sound stage area into Star Wars attractions/shops as well as a new e-ticket ride (maybe a speeder bike coaster like the one abandoned in the Avatar project). Of course they need the cantina with the crazy alien band playing and plenty of gift shops (maybe a light saber store to compete with the wand shop at Potterland).

Finally, for Muppet studios I would keep the 3D movie and add a muppet themed restaurant and maybe a water play area or something small that is muppet themed. The only Disney sub-studio left out is Marvel which is contracturaly restricted in FL.

Lucas Land can expand where Sounds Dangerous building is and where American Idol Experience is for the long terms. Sounds Dangerous is already abandoned except for 2 to 4 weeks a year.

American Idol Experience being open at DHS after 2018 doesn't seem likely. American Idol is still declining for viewer ship. American Idol isn't doing bad enough to be canceled yet since American Idol for the season premiere had almost 18 million views and the show has been getting around 16 to 14 million viewer for each episode after the premier. The Season 12 premiere had 3 million less views than Season 11's premiere had.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Lucas Land can expand where Sounds Dangerous building is and where American Idol Experience is for the long terms. Sounds Dangerous is already abandoned except for 2 to 4 weeks a year.

American Idol Experience being open at DHS after 2018 doesn't seem likely. American Idol is still declining for viewer ship. American Idol isn't doing bad enough to be canceled yet since American Idol for the season premiere had almost 18 million views and the show has been getting around 16 to 14 million viewer for each episode after the premier. The Season 12 premiere had 3 million less views than Season 11's premiere had.

Popular or not on TV I say get rid of it. The sooner the better.

Wikkler

Incredibles, Ratatouille café, Radiator Springs, and Monsters take up LOTS of space for their show buildings, and I'd imagine there would be a few stores, theming, enough space to walk, backstage cast member space, there would be meet and greet areas. You don't want to cluster it.
So... this is an underestimation?
asdfff.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So... this is an underestimation?
asdfff.jpg

This is from page 3 of this thread. It's Carsland in DCA pasted over the bottom corner of DHS. Gives pretty good prospective of how much space needs to be taken up.

OK...very rough but it does show that there is more than enough room.

I mirror flipped Carsland and turned it to show that there is more than enough room for the whole area at DHS.

Some rearranging of the Carsland and it would easily fit into the existing property with some removal of outdated and ineffective attractions.

CARSLANDDHs.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just because they did that for Midway Mania doesn't mean they have to put every Pixar property there. Frankly, I don't think it's necessary for more than one Pixar franchise to be represented in order to make DHS Pixar Place "work".

See above. I just think the mindset of "It's Pixar, so it must go in this particular corner of DHS" is unnecessarily constraining. The idea of grouping attractions together because of similar corporate branding is a little too commercial for my tastes, too. Confining Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm to their own designated "regions" in a single park also implies that these properties have some kind of outsider status, and there is no reason that, for instance, Merida can't fit in Fantasyland along with the other princesses. They should coexist with Disney properties where it is appropriate because, in my opinion, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, The Muppets, Monsters, Inc., etc. are very Disneyesque. I would rather see them move away from the whole studio bit in the back half of DHS as much as possible, in favor of a "Hollywood-style Fantasyland" approach. I don't think a DHS Cars Land should have any thematic association with the Pixar Place area. That would undercut the entire design philosophy behind Cars Land in the first place - that is, total immersion into Radiator Springs. Making this land part of the "Pixar Studio" in DHS would jeopardize the entire illusion because the appeal of the land is that you are actually in Radiator Springs, not a studio set. I'm not particularly opposed to the studio approach, but it's not necessary or appropriate for every new attraction that gets built at DHS. Moving forward, if the studio theme gets used at all, I would prefer the approach taken by TSMM or the Disney Animation, where the theme park version of the movie studio is like a magical cartoon factory, rather than what Star Tours 1.0 did (the "hot set" at the entrance).

I would argue that not every movie-themed attraction needs a mini-land around it to justify its existence. Adventureland, Fantasyland, and Frontierland, just to name a few, have cohesive themes not tied to a particular franchise, and they work very well. I realize that building "movie worlds" is all the rage now after WWOHP and Carsland; I don't think every franchise is worthy of that, and that applies to some Pixar properties. I'm not saying that Pixar attractions should be forcibly grafted into existing lands. I'm just making a case for blending standalone attractions based on different franchises that Disney owns into lands with unified themes in cases where these particular franchises don't lend themselves exactly to their own segregated areas of real estate in the parks.

It's true that most Pixar IP would fit best in DHS because the stories, except for Brave, have contemporary settings. If the standard becomes "every Pixar franchise that gets a ride needs to fit a mini-land in this designated area", then that would be too creatively limiting. Some franchises deserve more than a mini-land, and some could support a single ride but not much else. Disney shouldn't have to make all Pixar stuff in DHS border each other geographically. They should just find the best spot that can fit their ideas, regardless of whether it is next to Pixar Place.

This is what I'm talking about. There is no reason to try to make a unified land that encompasses the themes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones. The only thing they have in common is corporate branding. Let's drop the studio conceit and actually give them their own separate fantasy worlds. They are certainly more than deserving of their own immersive areas a la Forbidden Journey (or possibly even entire lands like WWOHP).

A Muppet studio area would work because the Muppet characters are, themselves, performers. (I just want the Muppet Movie Ride to get built. I know it would be fantastic!)

The problem with DHS is that it has no identity right now. Is it a studio park? Not really anymore. The backlot tour is a scaled down version of the original and nothing is actually shot there. By having the studio areas you are creating a park which represents Hollywood and then the various Disney owned studios in the area. I personally don't get too caught up in themes as long as the rides are good, but a lot of people do. They could find places for Star Wars in Tomorrowland and Indy in Adventureland and all of the Pixar movies in various other places, but that doesn't solve the DHS problem.

parker4fm

Really? It's good but not brilliant. And the WDSP version has a few technical flaws. Don't get me wrong.... Im not saying it is planned for DHS. More that its size is comparable to Monsters.

Yes, because of the stop and go nature of the ride, it causes the system to lock up I believe. But overall it's an awesome experience. Disney Studios Paris does not have much to offer, so maybe that's why I rate it so high. ;)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Wouldn't it be great to have actual announcements and stuff to base all this discussion on. Are there any updates on the likelihood of Car in DHS happening versus Avland?

Wikkler

No further comment.

I was thinking mini-lands at the time but now the vision in my head is something like Disneyland's Fantasyland.

But why should we expect LMA and the Backlot Tour to do anything?
They'd probably close it, then it will end up being just like 20K...

El Grupo

Whatever is built, if the BLT and LMA are removed, this should also free up a large area set aside for the practice area and tram maintenance. Relocate the Ops. Support structure beside CC, the Cast Costume Center and a handful of bungalows, and it appears Disney could build a Radiator Springs along with multiple other Pixar attractions if they chose.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I think the idea for "Pixarland" Was started when Disney put up this huge sign.

pixar_studios.jpg

You would think more Pixar themed stuff would end up here.

As for Merida I agree that she belongs in FL or the UK Pavilion.

The idea of putting Carland in DHS is also weird to me since you have Pixar Studios with just TSMM and then what? Go around the corner and there is the whole town of Radiator Springs? Also all the Carsland rides are out in the open. Is this smart for WDW weather wise? I feel they could put some other indoor rides the same way they did with TSMM. Are you telling me if 20 feet away was a similar Monster's Inc ride entrance it would be weird? It would basically look like Original FL or TL. It's already got the "Studio" conceit so why not use it. This is the one park where they can get away with it.
midway.jpg

The idea of Lucasland is crazy to me. You pick a franchise AKA Star Wars and you build off of what they already have started over at ST. As for Indy the show is still popular - update it! A new movie did come out, it had stunts use some!

I think any further expansion of the current Pixarland should continue the theme of Emeryville. The brick facades look cool and they could make it look like a real studio that had some characters run wild. That or each building was the set and world of each movie.

Then as I write this I just don't like the idea of not having an immersive Ratatouille or Carsland or Monsters Inc. It is quite debatable for me how this should be done.

Rodan75

So folks keep saying Carsland, but does that mean Radiator Springs or using the more international flair of Cars2 ? I know they aren't Value Engineering the project an longer, but aren't we taking a leap to assume radiator springs?

Disneyhead'71

So folks keep saying Carsland, but does that mean Radiator Springs or using the more international flair of Cars2 ? I know they aren't Value Engineering the project an longer, but aren't we taking a leap to assume radiator springs?
I said a while back they should theme it to the Paris scene from Cars 2 and include the Ratatouille Ride and Gusteau's Restaurant. PIXAR's Paris!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom