DHS CARS LAND

PeterAlt

http://www.blueskydisney.com/2013/01/blue-sky-buzz-pixars-place-in-disneys.html

Fresh rumours (and something that isn't Next Gen!). Blue Sky Disney has been very quiet for several years on the rumour front.
This quote from that link should satisfy the pessimists here...

"I have great hope for Walt Disney World. With the hiring of George Kalogridis, the languishing quality of WDW will finally be addressed. The lower standards that are accepted there as the norm will hopefully, slowly be replaced by what we expect in a Disney Experience. Kalogridis is a nuts and bolts guy, so we should expect operations, and quality to be made a much more prominent focus over the next few years. If you're unhappy with what you get there, please make sure you let guest relations know so that it reaches Team Disney Orlando. It has a much better chance of getting addressed with George now in charge."

MerlinTheGoat

Actually you'll find that most here will agree that George is likely to be a substantial improvement over Meg in the management situation. We'll see, but people are somewhat optimistic in that aspect. The problem is that this only fixes part of the problem at WDW. It does not necessarily address the issue of needing new attractions of substance, which is still largely in the hands of the higher ups in California. And even if a project seems "incredible" from the conceptual stage, that doesn't mean the bean counters in high places won't get their hands on the project and mutilate its budget and everything that made it so cool. I'll also say i'm not at all a fan of the Toy Story Playland. I'd tolerate it we got an incredible E Ticket as well, but i'd rather they simply use that budget to further improve the E Ticket.

It has been stated by insiders here that even Cars Land at California Adventure would not have turned out as well as it did had Lasseter been absent. It is said to have gone through many threats of being value engineered by bean counters but Lasseter had enough political power to basically threaten them into doing it right and keeping the budget higher. WDW doesn't seem to have the same sort of powerful creative head that is willing to stick up for the place. New Fantasyland for example WAS pushed on TDO (against their will) by Burbank. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a Lasseter like figure for WDW and as a result, the project went through rather substantial and unchecked budget mutilation and value engineering. And as a result, the guest reaction for it has been far more subdued than Cars Land.

I hope things improve maintenance wise, and I have optimism that it may (we'll see). But it shouldn't stop there. Hopefully some of the more fantastic rumors in both this thread and that Blue Sky article end up truly happening.

Definitely not against an Incredibles E Ticket btw! Any comments from insiders about the DHS project tipping in favor of this ride as opposed to Cars or Monsters? @Lee @whylightbulb @WDW1974 @marni1971

doctornick

I personally would love to see a new, unique Incredibles E-ticket in DHS. That said, I don't think that The Incredibles, as great a movie as it is, is anywhere near the marketing draw that Cars, Toy Story or even Monsters, Inc is. So, I have some skepticism about this being the big anchor in a Pixar Place expansion.

PeterAlt

Actually you'll find that most here will agree that George is likely to be a substantial improvement over Meg in the management situation. We'll see, but people are somewhat optimistic in that aspect. The problem is that this only fixes part of the problem at WDW. It does not necessarily address the issue of needing new attractions of substance, which is still largely in the hands of the higher ups in California. And even if a project seems "incredible" from the conceptual stage, that doesn't mean the bean counters in high places won't get their hands on the project and mutilate its budget and everything that made it so cool. I'll also say i'm not at all a fan of the Toy Story Playland. I'd tolerate it we got an incredible E Ticket as well, but i'd rather they simply use that budget to further improve the E Ticket.

It has been stated by insiders here that even Cars Land at California Adventure would not have turned out as well as it did had Lasseter been absent. It is said to have gone through many threats of being value engineered by bean counters but Lasseter had enough political power to basically threaten them into doing it right and keeping the budget higher. WDW doesn't seem to have the same sort of powerful creative head that is willing to stick up for the place. New Fantasyland for example WAS pushed on TDO (against their will) by Burbank. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a Lasseter like figure for WDW and as a result, the project went through rather substantial and unchecked budget mutilation and value engineering. And as a result, the guest reaction for it has been far more subdued than Cars Land.

I hope things improve maintenance wise, and I have optimism that it may (we'll see). But it shouldn't stop there. Hopefully some of the more fantastic rumors in both this thread and that Blue Sky article end up truly happening.

Definitely not against an Incredibles E Ticket btw! Any comments from insiders about the DHS project tipping in favor of this ride as opposed to Cars or Monsters? @Lee @whylightbulb @WDW1974 @marni1971
What do you think the chances are that Lasseter becomes Disney CEO when Iger steps down in 2015 or is promoted at least in a position of power?

One could dream, I know, but the company's top shareholders includes creatives like George Lucas and the Jobs Family Trust, so it could very well happen! Here's to hope! Cheers!

MerlinTheGoat

What do you think the chances are that Lasseter becomes Disney CEO when Iger steps down in 2015 or is promoted at least in a position of power?

One could dream, I know, but the company's top shareholders includes creatives like George Lucas and the Jobs Family Trust, so it could very well happen! Here's to hope! Cheers!
Eh, i'm really not in a position to answer a question about future CEO's. Frankly because i'm not an insider at all (just a normal dude who happens to love Disney and WDW and tries to learn as much as I can about the company). I'm not really sure that Lasseter would ever become CEO though. The board seems to prefer the bean counter type, regardless of whom is on the board.

Perhaps WDW1974 has a clue as to candidates for the next CEO. I think it was said that Iger is leaving sooner than expected, he certainly knew Meg was leaving and that George was coming to WDW. I believe he's said Staggs won't get the job. Anyone else have any ideas of CEO candidates after Iger is gone?

doctornick

While Lasseter works in California and has a personal connection to DL, his position relative to WDW is no different than it is for DLR (right?). And he obviously cares very deeply for Pixar and its properties. So, why is it unreasonable to expect that Lasseter would be just as vocal regarding a Pixar Place expansion in DHS as he was with Cars Land at DCA? I don't think he'd be happy with seeing Pixar stuff in DHS being done half-heartedly and would be active with preventing that. And he'd have a lot of goodwill backing him up considering the success of Cars Land.

Taylor

Eh, i'm really not in a position to answer a question about future CEO's. Frankly because i'm not an insider at all (just a normal dude who happens to love Disney and WDW and tries to learn as much as I can about the company). I'm not really sure that Lasseter would ever become CEO though. The board seems to prefer the bean counter type, regardless of whom is on the board.

Perhaps WDW1974 has a clue as to candidates for the next CEO. I think it was said that Iger is leaving sooner than expected, he certainly knew Meg was leaving and that George was coming to WDW. I believe he's said Staggs won't get the job. Anyone else have any ideas of CEO candidates after Iger is gone?
It's been rumored that Stacey Snyder was the front runner

WDW1974

"I have great hope for Walt Disney World. With the hiring of George Kalogridis, the languishing quality of WDW will finally be addressed. The lower standards that are accepted there as the norm will hopefully, slowly be replaced by what we expect in a Disney Experience. Kalogridis is a nuts and bolts guy, so we should expect operations, and quality to be made a much more prominent focus over the next few years. If you're unhappy with what you get there, please make sure you let guest relations know so that it reaches Team Disney Orlando. It has a much better chance of getting addressed with George now in charge."

Why? because some blogger is a Georgie fan?

WDW1974

I commented in my observations thread.

But I haven't heard of any Incredibles attraction, but I do know there are several versions of this 'makeover' being tossed around, so it could be possible.

That said, the blogger is talking about a 2015 opening and I'll tell you here and now that nothing of substance will open in that park before 2017 (if not later) and he also mentions that AAs would be a significant part of an Incredibles ride and I have to tell ya that Disney today does not want to do attractions with AAs at all.

So ... anything's possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Genie of the Lamp

Alan Horn-Chairman of Walt Disney Studios
Anne Sweeney- Head of ABC Television Group
Ed Catmull-President/Co founder of Pixar

Just to name a few internal candidates right off the back, wouldn't be suprised to see Sweeney have the inside track to the job due to the success of the TV unit of Disney recently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom