DHS CARS LAND

PeterAlt

Let me add that I also believe the pessimists have good reason to be pessimistic. They have been conditioned that way by the continuous never-ending stream of bad news (or lack of good news). I get it.

I also think things would be different if Eisner didn't step down. He did fire Harris and Pressler at the end if his term. He also put in motion plans to build TWO (count 'em: 1... 2) big budget E-ticket mountains in the MK (cancelled after he left). So maybe things would have been MUCH better had he stayed!

PeterAlt

If you had to choose a CEO, who would you vote for:

(A) John Lasseter
(B) Kathleen Kennedy
(C) Stacey Snyder
(D) Tom Staggs
(E) Pete Docter

PeterAlt

And WDW1974, the Board doesn't have final say on it's CEO. The company charter was revised in 1990's with a clause saying the stockholders vote by for the CEO. One vote per share. I voted when I had shares... for Eisner.

PeterAlt

Today, if I hadn't sold my shares, I would vote for A, B, or C. All are great candidates. Kathleen Kennedy is making great decisions with Star Wars right now. Case in point is her decision with hiring JJ Abrams as the new Star Wars director. That's like the perfect decision! If she can make great decisions like that at the corporate level, she would be an outstanding CEO!

MarkTwain

What was mentioned earlier in the Cars Land mega-thread is now supported by a BlueSkyDisney article:

...Right now, actually the last few months of last year and into the new year, the company has been working with the decision of what path to move forward with on the expansion of Hollywood Studios. You see everyone loves success since it's so elusive in business. In a world where profit is king, you want to replicate what works. In many in Burbank's case, this means clone it. Duplicate it. Copy it and hope lightning strikes twice, or even three times. Such is the case with Cars Land, which is the single most profitable creation for the parks in twenty years. The easy answer for the Suits is to clone it, the more difficult answer from the Creatives is to recreate what made it successful.

I'm sure you've read all the rumors floating around the Internet about cloning Cars Land down in Florida. How it's going to go where the old Hollywood Backlot Area is and expand the Pixar Place area of the park. This is partially true. The Pixar Place area is Imagineers expect to create the expansion of the park that I refer to, mainly at least. But therein lies the fight.

One path is the that one. To clone Cars Land and expand the Pixar Place and give it a much grander imprint in the Hollywood Studios park. The shadow of the Lamp will fall heavily on this gate if that choice is the direction they head. It'll be destined to be a hit just like out here in California. There will be no shortage of demands if the land is announced, with its immersive theming and escapist fun that literally draws you into an animated world. This would make the Studio Backlot an inviting plot of real estate to put this WDI creation. Instant hit: just add three years of construction and hundreds of millions of dollars and in 2015 you'll have a swarm of people descend on the Florida resort for the experience we have out here.

Then there is the alternative.

Expand the Pixar Place, but not with a clone. Imagine that? Now what would/could it consist of? Well, the area as pitched would have several other Pixar character creations. This lists rings like a laundry list of the last decades hits for Disney animation via Emeryville. Nemo ideas, lots of Toy Story ideas thrown around (including several attractions out of the "Toy Story Land" areas in Paris and Hong Kong), even talk of a Ratatouille clone like the one being built at Walt Disney Studios Paris (not likely, though, but not impossible). But the new E-Ticket surrounding all of these minor C and D Ticket attractions would be something better. Something incredible even.

Yes, that pun was intentional. The proposal, which wasn't a done deal when I talked to my Bothans near the beginning of the year, would involve the Brad Bird creation. If the Mouse decides to go the non-clone route, the largest part of the expansion would be an attraction based on "The Incredibles" film.

It's not the same one that was going to go into DCA when they were scrambling for something to stop the bleeding and the laughter, but it is a project that is designed to take you into the idealized world that Bird created where Supers were very real. This one would feature cutting edge technology, with animatronics and possible 3D/4D effects that rival anything done with Cars or the new Ratatouille ride.

It's part of what Lasseter wanted with each park having its own original creations. Attractions to make you want to travel to different parks for different reasons. Imagine that? The plan was to have two or three C-Tickets, budget permitting of course, and a large E-Ticket based on this film to define the entire area as a fully immersive experience of Pixar's imaginative stories. A Pixar land so to speak. Will that happen? It's a matter of numbers, time and justification of money that comes down to a battle of Suits and Creatives trying to figure what will be best. Cloning? Or creativity? So which side will win?

Well likely find out what the answer is to that question sometime later this year...

Count me in. Personally I'm a little weary from the same 3-4 Pixar movies being utilized for every new attraction worldwide in the past 10 years (say'em with me now... Toy Story, Monsters Inc., Nemo, Cars...), and to my knowledge there isn't an Incredibles attraction anywhere in the world, so this would at least be something different. Not to mention the benefits of DCA getting to keep its own unique draw, and now WDW would have one of its own. Hopefully there's some teeth to this rumor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom