DHS CARS LAND

Skibum1970

One additional thought, I still like WDW better than UNI but I don't like Disney's sudden insistence that they do meet-and-greets and stuff for girls. FLE was a HUGE disappointment when announced until they changed from Pixie Hollow to the SDMT. I was excited to go to AK in 2009 because of Expedition Everest. A company like Disney cannot focus on just one part of the market. They have to produce something for everyone. Plus, I think that Walt Disney himself would have loved some thrill rides. He didn't want a children's park. He wanted a clean, safe park to take a family to as opposed to the junky and trashy parks he saw. Thus, Disneyland opened with a roller coaster (first steel track) and other exciting rides. It didn't have a bunch of rides aimed at creating a children's playland.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
With my wife's back problems, Disney has plenty of rides that she has to be careful of (including rides like Splash Mtn). However, with the exception of the coasters at UNI/IOA and the Forbidden Journey, she can generally ride about the same rides. Spiderman is probably the most intense that she can ride but, since she loves it so much, she toughs it out (with the help of Advil and the occasional muscle relaxer). So, I think that both UNI and WDW offer a good assortment. I think that UNI does have more thrill rides and that's great because it fills a niche that WDW doesn't really get into.

Go to just about any theme park in America (or the world, probably) and coasters are the most popular rides with the longest lines. As Disneyhead stated, WDW's downfall will be catering to toddlers and, I would add, children under ten. What happens when a family's youngest is either getting a little older or wants to ride thrill rides? Where are they going? To Universal where the Boy Who Lived resides, where Transformers come to life, and other rides await.

Disney needs Cars Land and the Monsters Inc coaster to start addressing the shortfall. They need more than just Soarin 9.0 to help AK out.

While I agree with this I don't think RSR is a thrill ride and from what I have heard on this board the MI coaster sounds about on par with mine coaster or Barnstormer as far as thrills. The Pixar Place expansion would be adding more family rides to DHS which doesn't have many.

Disneyhead'71

The Ratatouille Ride will also be family friendly. As of now TSMM and Star Tours are the only rides for 4-6 year old crowd. Which is odd considering that they are selling WDW like it Lagoland on STEROIDS.

Skibum1970

While I agree with this I don't think RSR is a thrill ride and from what I have heard on this board the MI coaster sounds about on par with mine coaster or Barnstormer as far as thrills. The Pixar Place expansion would be adding more family rides to DHS which doesn't have many.

I think that RSR just looks fun and family rides are great as well. I would be ecstatic if they built some good dark rides for UP, Brave (make a good flume ride in my mind), and Wall-E. Plus, go back to the old fashioned types. Peter Pan is awesome and doesn't have high-tech animatronics. Build a good ride with good sets and it will be wonderful.

I really don't expect Disney to open a gigacoaster with the world's tallest loop. That is what I have Cedar Point just a few hours away for. My main point, which probably didn't come across too well, is that WDW needs to build rides that can be enjoyed by all. The weird catering to girls between 3 and 9 is just blind. Put me back when I was 8 years old and I would have been much more interested in Transformers than Tinkerbell.

CinematicFusion

I have a strong feeling you will see a more Star Wars in DHS if they do plan on an expansion. We will find out in August during D3. From a marketing standpoint on the new trilogy, bringing in more of a Star Wars presence seems like the perfect fit.

Maybe not rides, but a Star Wars themed restaurant wouldn't seem out of the question.

asianway

Still strange it takes so long to build one ride when it took 3 years to build all of Epcot. Your right though, SDMT was announced in jan. of 2011 and will be completed spring of 2014 ( what the insiders are saying)

So if aug.11 2013 is the announcements of some major overhauls in the parks, we should see completion in 2016.
1 year, 9 months to reskin two tents-a meet n greet & one of the most profitable gift shops in the MK.

WDW1974

The rest of FLE is taking until 2014 only because they made a major change in the direction of the project last minute (replaceing the M&G's with the mine ride). Assuming no major change like this happens in these other project they should be able to finish them in 3 years, not 5.

What they should be able to do and what they actually do are two different things. Cities get built in China in the time it will take Disney to build a simple kiddie coaster.

Again, in 1982 (think of what tech was missing ... no tablets, no smart phones, no cell phones at all, no laptop computers, none of the toys that creatives use today) it took a tiny Disney company three years to build EPCOT Center in what was still largely the middle of nowhere. ... Yet, today ... look at how long it takes them for the simplest things. Anyone else think something's not right?

WDW1974

I love Universal, but they have zero rides that most entire families can enjoy together(minus ET-which is soon to leave), because every other ride spins, is a nauseating simulator, has massive drops, or soaks you to the bone. Universal has some great attractions, but they will never overtake Disney, because their audience is limited in scope. Disney Parks have something for everyone, Universal parks do not.

Not true. But I'll let others battle you. No interest.

I will say that Disney is putting itself in big trouble by making everything apporpriate for special needs 6-year-olds. That will backfire. ... The MK is boring is hell to a great many people who visit and don't come back.

WDW1974

I think the Potter craze is dying down. No new books, movies, or TV shows in the pipeline. If Potter leaves public consciousness, kids will forget it quickly.
Hogwarts Castle is also a much bigger draw than Gringotts Bank. Harry Potter himself also will have nothing to do with the new attraction, and instead they will be focusing on lesser known characters from the series. I'm not saying they won't get a bump in attendance, but I think Potter has peaked.

Yeah ... and I think the same about Star Wars and Cinderella and Toy Story ... all old and passe.
It's at times like this that I DO question why I am here ...

WDW1974

LOL. You're funny. If craze for something dies out a year and a half after a movie is released, explain why The Little Mermaid at MK gets 110 minute waits and why Disney is building a Snow White roller coaster. I also haven't noticed Midway Mania's waits dropping...

To be fair Mermaid gets 110 minute waits because:

1.) The MK doesn't have enough capacity;
2.) It is the first new from the ground up attraction in two decades;
3.) It has FP when it shouldn't;
4.) There are a lot of fanbois who love everything Disney does/WDW attracts a less discerning clientele than other resorts do.

Just off the top of my head and all.

WDW1974

Do you work for WDW's PR Dept.?

Oh, pish-posh, dear Disneyhead'71 ... no Disney PR person (or exec or Imagineer or consultant or media member, real media that is) ever comes close to these sites. We are insignificant ... like fleas on the of an elephant.

Nothing to see here ... keep walking ... it's still Christmas at WDW thru the weekend!
(well, except for all the MK holiday entertainment and the EPCOT stuff and the DAK parade ... OK, Cindy and Ozzy still have their lights up, happy?)

WDW1974

Universal doesn't have to overtake Disney they really don't want to and don't have the means too. But I'm sure it's a fork in disneys that they are now looked upon as stale in the innovation dept. I don't think you get it competition is good, it forces both companies to be fresh, well one at the present time

Two companies with different visions and business models. One is betting on quality and innovation. The other is betting on technology that will allow planning every minute of your day and relying on marketing MAGIC and nostalgia.

I love all the O-Town parks, but one resort really gets it (two if you include the SW parks) and one has totally lost its way but not its arrogance and avarice.

WDW1974

Still strange it takes so long to build one ride when it took 3 years to build all of Epcot. Your right though, SDMT was announced in jan. of 2011 and will be completed spring of 2014 ( what the insiders are saying)

So if aug.11 2013 is the announcements of some major overhauls in the parks, we should see completion in 2016.

Hahahahahha ... you are funny, oh so funny.

If you get announcements in 8/13, don't expect anything before late 2017 at all. Really.

Mike K

WDW1974, I'm curious to know your thoughts on the rumored Hollywood Studios refurb/expansion? If Cars Land is not in the cards for whatever reason, what would you like to personally see be done? Thanks in advance, always appreciate your posts!

WDW1974

First of all think of a near football field length highly themed load station with a glass cieling. The train itself will look exactly like the Hogwarts Expess from the movie. The windows will be multilayered HD screens that give a sense of dimension (you won't actually be seeing outside). So when you get in and sit down it will appear as if the load station is filled with Hogwarts students. On the journey through the scotish countryside you will be attacked by dementors one way and death eaters the other.

You know so much about what is being built that sometimes I forget you are simply a pizza delivery dude in real life ... where do you get the info ... where?:D

WDW1974

WDW1974, I'm curious to know your thoughts on the rumored Hollywood Studios refurb/expansion? If Cars Land is not in the cards for whatever reason, what would you like to personally see be done? Thanks in advance, always appreciate your posts!

Mike, not sure I have thoughts yet because nothing (to my knowledge) has been budgeted, which means given the green light. I am certain, however, that things will be coming to the TPFKaTD-MGMS in the future ... probably the most significant additions at any WDW park (it is last in attendance and it will be the park hurt the most by expansions and additions at UNI and SW).

Personally, I want the park to have a cohesive feeling as it did on Opening Day (I was there!) I want that hideous hat down and sold in piecemeal fashion at that store that buys all old Disney crap and sells it at absurd prices (want an EPCOT '95 guidemap? sure, for $7.99 here's your choice of 157).

I'd love to see real movies made, at least in the Animation Building, although I know that won't happen.

That tram tour needs to go (and will). It works at UNI-Hollywood because well ... they actually films movies and television programs there and it has an amazing history.

You don't need two stunt shows. Actually, considering the space issues of the park, you don't need one.

You don't need shows that are ancient and now repeat what is shown at the MK (although both of those are supposed to be replaced, but this is Disney and they could be playing in three years).

The biggest thing is the hat needs to go. It has been a blight on that park for 11 years now. It has paid for itself, it can come down. That also may allow people to actually see fireworks on the two nights a year they show them.

I want to see Fantasmic go and it is. My hope is that something truly unique goes in there and not simply the WDW home of a WoC show.

I desperately want to see the GMR refreshed, from new films swapping in for old in AA form to a new ending montage to getting rid of the cheesy CM as an actor part.

I would like to see some long immersive family rides. And I'd like to see more of a focus on Disney's Anaimation Legacy than what now passes for an attraction/meet-greet-and-grope/art shop.

Just some thoughts ... what would you like to see?

the.dreamfinder

Some suggestions for GMR from last year

Charlie Chaplin (The Gold Rush or Modern Times) or George Mélié's A Trip to the Moon replacing footlight parade. An AA Chaplin doing the dinner roll scene would be amazing!!

2001: A Space Odyssey replacing Alien. (2001 is one of the greatest Science Fiction films of all time ... and it has a two second cutaway in the montage. Imagine the banter between the Gangster/Bandit and HAL!)

Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai replacing Tarzan. (Foriegn Cinema is woefully underrepresented in the current ride.) and/or My Neighbor Totoro Bus stop scene staring moi. Disney parks need more CATBUS!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom