DHS CARS LAND

ToTBellHop

The rest of FLE is taking until 2014 only because they made a major change in the direction of the project last minute (replaceing the M&G's with the mine ride). Assuming no major change like this happens in these other project they should be able to finish them in 3 years, not 5.
That's not REALLY the reason it isn't opening until 2014. If they wanted to, they could have Avatarland and Carsland open in 2015. They don't want to.

SJN1279

I think the Potter craze is dying down. No new books, movies, or TV shows in the pipeline. If Potter leaves public consciousness, kids will forget it quickly.
Hogwarts Castle is also a much bigger draw than Gringotts Bank. Harry Potter himself also will have nothing to do with the new attraction, and instead they will be focusing on lesser known characters from the series. I'm not saying they won't get a bump in attendance, but I think Potter has peaked.

Disneyhead'71

I love Universal, but they have zero rides that most entire families can enjoy together(minus ET-which is soon to leave), because every other ride spins, is a nauseating simulator, has massive drops, or soaks you to the bone. Universal has some great attractions, but they will never overtake Disney, because their audience is limited in scope. Disney Parks have something for everyone, Universal parks do not.

For the little ones Universal Orlando Resort has:

ET
Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem
Woody's Nuthouse Coaster
Shrek 4D
Animal Actors on Location
A Day in the Park with Barney
Curious George Goes To Town
Fieval's Playland
One Fish Two Fish
Cat in the Hat
Caro-Seuss-El,
High In THe Sky Seuss Trolly
Oh, The Stories You'll Hear (Seuss Storytime)
If I Ran The Zoo Playland
Flight of the Hypogriff
Camp Jurassic
Jurassic Park Discovey Center
Me Ship, The Olive

And soon: Kodo and Kang's Round Ride

Disneyhead'71

I think the Potter craze is dying down. No new books, movies, or TV shows in the pipeline. If Potter leaves public consciousness, kids will forget it quickly.
Hogwarts Castle is also a much bigger draw than Gringotts Bank. Harry Potter himself also will have nothing to do with the new attraction, and instead they will be focusing on lesser known characters from the series. I'm not saying they won't get a bump in attendance, but I think Potter has peaked.
Do you work for WDW's PR Dept.?

And don't forget, while the books and movies have wrapped for now. There is a $500 million theme park expansion coming to Universal Studios Florida to keep the franchise going a titch longer.

SJN1279

For the little ones Universal Orlando Resort has:

ET
Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem
Woody's Nuthouse Coaster
Shrek 4D
Animal Actors on Location
A Day in the Park with Barney
Curious George Goes To Town
Fieval's Playland
One Fish Two Fish
Cat in the Hat
Caro-Seuss-El,
High In THe Sky Seuss Trolly
Oh, The Stories You'll Hear (Seuss Storytime)
If I Ran The Zoo Playland
Flight of the Hypogriff
Camp Jurassic
Jurassic Park Discovey Center
Me Ship, The Olive
And soon: Kodo and Kang's Round Ride

Despicable Me is a simulator, and none of those attractions work for the entire family(save for maybe Suess' Trolley". What about Grandpa, Grandma, pregnant women, and others prone to motion sickness, and not physically fit for a children's playground. Universal is severely lacking in the entire family ride business, Disney has that market cornered and will always win out(Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Buzz, Jungle Cruise, People Mover, Mermaid, Peter Pan, Pooh, Toy Story Mania, Imagination, Nemo, The Land, Kilamanjaro Safari, Donald's Boat Ride etc).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Despicable Me is a simulator, and none of those attractions work for the entire family(save for maybe Suess' Trolley". What about Grandpa, Grandma and others prone to motion sickness, and not physically fit for a children's playground. Universal is severely lacking in the entire family ride business, Disney has that market cornered and will always win out(Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Buzz, Mermaid, Toy Story Mania etc).

MK has that market cornered. The other 3 Disney parks are pretty much on par with Universal for family rides IMHO. That is also why MK is #1 in attendance too.

ToTBellHop

LOL. You're funny. If craze for something dies out a year and a half after a movie is released, explain why The Little Mermaid at MK gets 110 minute waits and why Disney is building a Snow White roller coaster. I also haven't noticed Midway Mania's waits dropping...

ToTBellHop

Despicable Me is a simulator, and none of those attractions work for the entire family(save for maybe Suess' Trolley". What about Grandpa, Grandma, pregnant women, and others prone to motion sickness, and not physically fit for a children's playground. Universal is severely lacking in the entire family ride business, Disney has that market cornered and will always win out(Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Buzz, Jungle Cruise, People Mover, Mermaid, Peter Pan, Pooh, Toy Story Mania, Imagination, Nemo, The Land, Kilamanjaro Safari, Donald's Boat Ride etc).
Forgive, but what is Donald's Boat Ride? The former spray park in Toon Town?

Disneyhead'71

Despicable Me is a simulator, and none of those attractions work for the entire family(save for maybe Suess' Trolley". What about Grandpa, Grandma and others prone to motion sickness, and not physically fit for a children's playground. Universal is severely lacking in the entire family ride business, Disney has that market cornered and will always win out(Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Buzz, Jungle Cruise, People Mover, Mermaid, Peter Pan, Pooh, Toy Story Mania, Imagination, Nemo, The Land, Kilamanjaro Safari, Donald's Boat Ride etc).
Pirates has a drop, Toy Story Midway Mania spins, Kilamanjaro has bouncing not suitable for people with back problems, and Haunted Mansion has a terrifing preshow. Me thinks your rose colored glasses are distorting you view. But yes, WDW does have more to do for toddlers, and that is one of their biggest downfalls.

SJN1279

MK has that market cornered. The other 3 Disney parks are pretty much on par with Universal for family rides IMHO. That is also why MK is #1 in attendance too.

Epcot also has plenty of rides that the entire family can enjoy together(Spaceship Earth, Figment, Nemo, The Land, Universe of Energy, Donald Mexico, Norway). It is also the #2 park in attendance for a reason.

Hollywood Studios is lacking outside of Toy Story Mania and Animal Kingdom is lacking outside of the Safari.

I still contest that Harry Potter should have consisted of a slow moving dark ride through the castle for the entire family and a kuka arm coaster through the forbidden forest for thrill seekers. That Potter ride is sickening, and being a fan of Potter I always found it disappointing.

Disneyhead'71

Epcot also has plenty of rides that the entire family can enjoy together(Spaceship Earth, Figment, Nemo, The Land, Universe of Energy, Donald Mexico, Norway). It is also the #2 park in attendance for a reason.

Hollywood Studios is lacking outside of Toy Story Mania and Animal Kingdom is lacking outside of the Safari.

I still contest that Harry Potter should have consisted of a slow moving dark ride through the castle for the entire family and a kuka arm coaster through the forbidden forest for thrill seekers. That Potter ride is sickening, and being a fan of Potter I always found it disappointing.
I believe the Hogwarts Express will fit the bill for a Potter family friendly MEGA E-Ticket.

M.rudolf

I love Universal, but they have zero rides that most entire families can enjoy together(minus ET-which is soon to leave), because every other ride spins, is a nauseating simulator, has massive drops, or soaks you to the bone. Universal has some great attractions, but they will never overtake Disney, because their audience is limited in scope. Disney Parks have something for everyone, Universal parks do not.
Universal doesn't have to overtake Disney they really don't want to and don't have the means too. But I'm sure it's a fork in disneys that they are now looked upon as stale in the innovation dept. I don't think you get it competition is good, it forces both companies to be fresh, well one at the present time

SJN1279

I believe the Hogwarts Express will fit the bill for a Potter family friendly MEGA E-Ticket.
I hope so. I'm still curious how that attraction will work. The one thing that I fear will hinder it is that it will only be used as transportion between parks, more than an attraction in itself.

CinematicFusion

The rest of FLE is taking until 2014 only because they made a major change in the direction of the project last minute (replaceing the M&G's with the mine ride). Assuming no major change like this happens in these other project they should be able to finish them in 3 years, not 5.

Still strange it takes so long to build one ride when it took 3 years to build all of Epcot. Your right though, SDMT was announced in jan. of 2011 and will be completed spring of 2014 ( what the insiders are saying)

So if aug.11 2013 is the announcements of some major overhauls in the parks, we should see completion in 2016.

SJN1279

Universal doesn't have to overtake Disney they really don't want to and don't have the means too. But I'm sure it's a fork in disneys that they are now looked upon as stale in the innovation dept. I don't think you get it competition is good, it forces both companies to be fresh, well one at the present time
I agree with that. However I feel both Disney and Universal have great attractions and I appreciate both. Potter may have been innovative, but I never liked the attraction on any level. I will give them Spiderman though, that ride is amazing!

Disneyhead'71

I hope so. I'm still curious how that attraction will work. The one thing that I fear will hinder it is that it will only be used as transportion between parks, more than an attraction in itself.
First of all think of a near football field length highly themed load station with a glass cieling. The train itself will look exactly like the Hogwarts Expess from the movie. The windows will be multilayered HD screens that give a sense of dimension (you won't actually be seeing outside). So when you get in and sit down it will appear as if the load station is filled with Hogwarts students. On the journey through the scotish countryside you will be attacked by dementors one way and death eaters the other.

FrankLapidus

I really don't think we've seen or heard the last of Harry Potter. In interviews here in Britain while she was promoting her latest, non-HP book, JK Rowling seemed to have backed down from her "no more Potter" stance to "never say never". I don't know how she'll do it but I would guess in a few years there'll be more HP-related stories in the works.

Skibum1970

Pirates has a drop, Toy Story Midway Mania spins, Kilamanjaro has bouncing not suitable for people with back problems, and Haunted Mansion has a terrifing preshow. Me thinks your rose colored glasses are distorting you view. But yes, WDW does have more to do for toddlers, and that is one of their biggest downfalls.

With my wife's back problems, Disney has plenty of rides that she has to be careful of (including rides like Splash Mtn). However, with the exception of the coasters at UNI/IOA and the Forbidden Journey, she can generally ride about the same rides. Spiderman is probably the most intense that she can ride but, since she loves it so much, she toughs it out (with the help of Advil and the occasional muscle relaxer). So, I think that both UNI and WDW offer a good assortment. I think that UNI does have more thrill rides and that's great because it fills a niche that WDW doesn't really get into.

Go to just about any theme park in America (or the world, probably) and coasters are the most popular rides with the longest lines. As Disneyhead stated, WDW's downfall will be catering to toddlers and, I would add, children under ten. What happens when a family's youngest is either getting a little older or wants to ride thrill rides? Where are they going? To Universal where the Boy Who Lived resides, where Transformers come to life, and other rides await.

Disney needs Cars Land and the Monsters Inc coaster to start addressing the shortfall. They need more than just Soarin 9.0 to help AK out.

Disneyhead'71

With my wife's back problems, Disney has plenty of rides that she has to be careful of (including rides like Splash Mtn). However, with the exception of the coasters at UNI/IOA and the Forbidden Journey, she can generally ride about the same rides. Spiderman is probably the most intense that she can ride but, since she loves it so much, she toughs it out (with the help of Advil and the occasional muscle relaxer). So, I think that both UNI and WDW offer a good assortment. I think that UNI does have more thrill rides and that's great because it fills a niche that WDW doesn't really get into.

Go to just about any theme park in America (or the world, probably) and coasters are the most popular rides with the longest lines. As Disneyhead stated, WDW's downfall will be catering to toddlers and, I would add, children under ten. What happens when a family's youngest is either getting a little older or wants to ride thrill rides? Where are they going? To Universal where the Boy Who Lived resides, where Transformers come to life, and other rides await.

Disney needs Cars Land and the Monsters Inc coaster to start addressing the shortfall. They need more than just Soarin 9.0 to help AK out.

That's where we are. My 2 Princesses are (12 & 16). I think they would rather go to the Dentist than to a Disney park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom