DHS CARS LAND

the.dreamfinder

This is my dear friend, The Catbus btw.
catbus.jpg

TalkingHead

Mike, not sure I have thoughts yet because nothing (to my knowledge) has been budgeted, which means given the green light. I am certain, however, that things will be coming to the TPFKaTD-MGMS in the future ... probably the most significant additions at any WDW park (it is last in attendance and it will be the park hurt the most by expansions and additions at UNI and SW).

Personally, I want the park to have a cohesive feeling as it did on Opening Day (I was there!) I want that hideous hat down and sold in piecemeal fashion at that store that buys all old Disney crap and sells it at absurd prices (want an EPCOT '95 guidemap? sure, for $7.99 here's your choice of 157).

I'd love to see real movies made, at least in the Animation Building, although I know that won't happen.

That tram tour needs to go (and will). It works at UNI-Hollywood because well ... they actually films movies and television programs there and it has an amazing history.

You don't need two stunt shows. Actually, considering the space issues of the park, you don't need one.

You don't need shows that are ancient and now repeat what is shown at the MK (although both of those are supposed to be replaced, but this is Disney and they could be playing in three years).

The biggest thing is the hat needs to go. It has been a blight on that park for 11 years now. It has paid for itself, it can come down. That also may allow people to actually see fireworks on the two nights a year they show them.

I want to see Fantasmic go and it is. My hope is that something truly unique goes in there and not simply the WDW home of a WoC show.

I desperately want to see the GMR refreshed, from new films swapping in for old in AA form to a new ending montage to getting rid of the cheesy CM as an actor part.

I would like to see some long immersive family rides. And I'd like to see more of a focus on Disney's Anaimation Legacy than what now passes for an attraction/meet-greet-and-grope/art shop.

Just some thoughts ... what would you like to see?

Why do I feel like 1/10 of that might happen?

Actually, more likely that management will piddle around for a year and think about making any changes...and then decide to close LMA and call it a day.

As stingy as TDO is, I have a hard time believing they'd give us a new nighttime show, Cars, Monsters, etc.

They seem to believe "less is more" when that's really not the case here. Kinda sad...like UF's Sugar Bowl performance tonight. Couldn't let that go unacknowledged. Talk about magical. ;)

Mike K

Just some thoughts ... what would you like to see?

Well said, 74! I do agree with you on many points and in particular the idea that the park needs to get back to its original mission. I was talking about this a few days back in another thread I believe, but the magic and escapism of the movies is something Hollywood Studios needs to get back in touch with. I spent an hour the other night watching the MGM-Studios TV Special they aired right around the time the park was opening, what a sight that was back in 1989! Over the years, the whole idea of escaping into the movies got watered down somehow. The hat certainly needs to go as it just blocks the gorgeous exterior of the GMR. In addition, Lights, Motor, Action! can't be gone soon enough, it just takes up an insane amount of space for a show that sadly isn't worth more than a one-time viewing, at least in my opinion. I found myself in awe when I watched the LMA during my last trip at just how much space the show takes up and the endless possibilities that could take its place. The GMR is classic but it certainly needs some real dedication put into it, new AA's, new movie scenes, the works!

Furthermore, while a Pixar Place expansion seems likely, I just don't want the park to become so dependent on the Pixar characters that it would almost feel like the park belongs to only them. I think beyond the rumored Monsters Inc. Door Coaster, the only other Pixar property I'd really like them to take advantage of and knock it out the park in the form of a really cutting-edge attraction would be The Incredibles. For as popular as the film and characters are, I feel like they have been vastly underused so putting the Imagineers and the money behind a really exciting attraction based on them would be a real sight. Closing up shop on Indiana Jones would be another wise choice in order to make room for some new blood whether in be in the form of an actual Indiana Jones ride (couldn't help myself, I just love that darn Anaheim ride too much!) or perhaps spreading Star Wars' presence in the park since Disney is now in ownership of the property. From what I understand, no immediate plans on expanding Star Wars in the parks is in the cards now but it certainly needs to be considered because if any park desperately needs the expansion especially in the form of Star Wars, Hollywood Studios is the no-brainer choice. The Backlot Tour just needs to go as its just a shadow of its former self, the plot of land is another insane piece of property where some truly imaginative stuff could be done.

Finally, I'd personally like to see more of a Muppets presence in the park since they have worked their way (thankfully) back into the public eye. Maybe a Muppet parade or even Muppet street performances or something? As an animation historian junkie, I'm right there with you in wanting to see actual animation coming back to the studio but sadly it doesn't seem so, huh? There really should be more of an emphasis on the history of the beautiful animation that was done in the early days, it's things like this that kids see and make them want to one day become animators themselves similar to John Lasseter.

the.dreamfinder

Finally, I'd personally like to see more of a Muppets presence in the park since they have worked their way (thankfully) back into the public eye. Maybe a Muppet parade or even Muppet street performances or something? As an animation historian junkie, I'm right there with you in wanting to see actual animation coming back to the studio but sadly it doesn't seem so, huh? There really should be more of an emphasis on the history of the beautiful animation that was done in the early days, it's things like this that kids see and make them want to one day become animators themselves similar to John Lasseter.
Hey Disney! You have completed plans for this collected dust in Glendale!!
Muppet%2BStudios1.jpg

@Mike K, I absolutely agree with you in reagards to the need for a more expansive experience for animation. I remember when I was a wee tike when you could still see the "Fish Tank" and when they used to give out info about what animators do, the roles, etc. I absolutely gobbled it up! It's one of the reasons why I'm studying animation! Disney needs to put the seeds down now if they want to inspire the next generation.

Mike K

Hey Disney! You have completed plans for this collected dust in Glendale!!
Muppet%2BStudios1.jpg

@Mike K, I absolutely agree with you in reagards to the need for a more expansive experience for animation. I remember when I was a wee tike when you could still see the "Fish Tank" and when they used to give out info about what animators do, the roles, etc. I absolutely gobbled it up! It's one of the reasons why I'm studying animation! Disney needs to put the seeds down now if they want to inspire the next generation.

Thanks for posting that! I remember seeing that concept art sometime ago and loving it. I'm right there with you about the "fish tank", I remember being so drawn into what those animators were doing and it just blowing my mind that they were making dreams come true on a sheet of paper right before me. I don't know for sure what they were animating at the time but it impressed me so much and I'll never forget one of the animators looking up from their station and just throwing me a friendly little wave. It definitely left an impression because my love for drawing and animation in general just blossomed throughout the years.

whylightbulb

Original Poster
First of all think of a near football field length highly themed load station with a glass cieling. The train itself will look exactly like the Hogwarts Expess from the movie. The windows will be multilayered HD screens that give a sense of dimension (you won't actually be seeing outside). So when you get in and sit down it will appear as if the load station is filled with Hogwarts students. On the journey through the scotish countryside you will be attacked by dementors one way and death eaters the other.
That sounds amazing ;) But I don't think it will beat the excitement of using RFID tags at WDW.

flynnibus

Premium Member
To be fair Mermaid gets 110 minute waits because:

1.) The MK doesn't have enough capacity;
2.) It is the first new from the ground up attraction in two decades;
3.) It has FP when it shouldn't;
4.) There are a lot of fanbois who love everything Disney does/WDW attracts a less discerning clientele than other resorts do.

Just off the top of my head and all.

Crowds and lines here in dlr this week are nuts. Even small world has been 45mins all day long... And mermaid has been Walk on most of the time. I did see the board show 15min once :)

Waits have sucked hard...

SJN1279

Yeah ... and I think the same about Star Wars and Cinderella and Toy Story ... all old and passe.
It's at times like this that I DO question why I am here ...
Star Wars is still insanely popular and with a new movie in 2015 and Disney behind them, it will only continue to grow. Star Wars also has a successful cartoon series that is loved by many kids and adults currently airing on Cartoon Network. The amount of Star Wars Halloween costumes this year blew the boy wizard out of the water, and this is just the calm before the storm.

invader

Just thought this would be the correct thread to post this on since it is the most DHS related thread, but the gangster car in GMR was working as we rode yesterday. Had not seen it working in a while.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom