DHS CARS LAND

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You make a good point with the ride systems being the same for the above attractions, but those are more like shows and stories, where as the TT system is more of a thrill ride, where you only need one. Would there be a need to use the ToT ride system agai? Nope. Omnimovers are perfect for what they show, as well as the boats. I guess Disney just does it differently, it's not a park full of coasters and thrill rides it's a park that is themed very well.

By this logic, why would be need Big Thunder and Everest, both are steel track thrill coasters.

sweetpee_1993

That is fine for those in North America who have the choice of which coast they visit, with comparable airfares. However, on the basis that I, like most European visitors to WDW (who account for a large percentage of WDW's guests) cannot easily afford to go to California in the same way we can WDW on the basis of package holidays, ulitmate park hopper tickets and cheaper flights etc, I'm more than happy if they bring something as successful as Carsland to WDW.

Airfare doesn't factor for us. I drive to WDW which makes DL that much more expensive for less time for us. It's not an easy difference. I definitely see your point, tho. I think WDW needs something as wildly successful as Carsland, too. I just don't see why it has to be another incarnation of something existing. It could be something different and new that's just as incredible and the experience would still be over-the-top for our European/foreign visitors. Right?

devoy1701

A lot of people live in the northeast (I'm one of them). It's much easier for them to take a 2 1/2 hour flight to WDW, then it is to take a 6 hour flight to Anaheim, or to other parks around the world.

Carsland has been beyond successful. I haven't heard one bad review about it yet. Sure there are plently of other Pixar brands but I feel those would be great for a Pixar Place expansion phase 2, after Carsland.

Let's say they decided on Monstrolpolis. It's a city with monsters and a factory at the end of it with a potential doors coaster. By default, this project will be compared to Carsland. Some may say, it's not as good, Monstolpolis isn't as immersive as Carsland, the outside streets were hardly in the movie, there's no real design, just some buildings and a factory, etc.

I feel a lot of the other Pixar brands like Monster's Inc, Up, Incredibles aren't so easy to just build on a massive scale. I think they would make good additions in a phase 2 in this potential expansion. And why try to take a concept without as much depth as Radiator Springs and attempt to create it on that grand scale.

It's funny how people complained about TLM coming to wdw because it wasn't a great success in DCA. Yet when a very successful attraction like RSR could be coming to wdw, people still find a way to complain about it, saying that they have a lack of vision and imagination.

And was Carsland the grand finale of Disneyland? Are the crowds just going away if RSR is put in DHS? They don't have any new projects lined up like DCA phase 2 or a Tomorrowland E-ticket? I don't see how building a successful attraction in DHS, while still keeping the original successful attraction in DCA is bad for anyone.

My flight to Cali is just as long traveling from Tampa, and I regularly travel up to the Northeast (Philly and Long Island), so I know the time contraints you speak of, but I don't necessary think it's any easier traveling to Orlando than LA. You still spend a day traveling, you still have to get to the parks from the airport, etc. The costs to get to LA on airlines line Southwest is marginally more expensive. We're flying up to Philly next week at $250/round trip and my last visit to LA was about $270/roundtrip. We had a connection in Las Vegas that was 1 gate over and had only a 30 minute layover.

I definitely agree with your analysis of Montrolpolis (or any of the other Pixar settings). Most have taken place in Cities which isn't that exiciting (though thematically fitting of the cityscapes currently in DHS). Though Paradise Falls might make for good eye candy... We also don't know what Monsters Inc 2 will have in store in terms of scenery. Isn't the movie called Monsters University or something of the sort? Perhaps a Monsters Campus could be built.

I was against LM coming over to WDW for the same reasons I'm against Carsland coming over here. Though I have said many times over that the scenery and ambiance of Mermaid in our Magic Kingdom is tremendously better than DCAs.

orky8

I'm with you. Seriously. DHS is in dire need of something. My thing is why make it something they've already done? Why not do something different and new? There's still plenty of material out there to go synergy-crazy with. Why not design something all new? Doesn't need to be Cars or nothing. It could be some other totally mind-blowing attraction that's every bit as immersive as Carsland without it being Cars. That's my question. Why not design something completely different? There's only 1 answer to this: it's too easy. The success is already there. DCA has blown up this summer with it's mega-success. There's little to no risk involved and they only have to modify things to fit the different space. I'm a road-less-traveled person. I don't buy the easy route.

Because that is Not Going to Happen. Disney doesn't operate that way anymore. Corporations, especially the current Disney corporation AND espectially TDO is not a "road less travelled" kinda person. Carsland is a guaranteed success. The development costs have already been spent.

Plus, Disneyland and Disney World don't really compete for the same visitor, so why not clone them. Sure, some may choose now to go to WDW instead of DL, but that is a very small percentage of the visitor base. You keep saying "why not" and the answers are rather simple. Cost and Risk. If this can get the greenlight, who cares that its not the "best" answer, it is a dang good one.

fosse76

I want to hear more about Lights, Motor, Action! I don't understand why it's having legal issues. And would this impact Paris? If so, could Paris be getting the same expansion? If it really is a legal issue it would make sense. Plus it would be cheaper for TDO and Paris could use the attraction.
As a stunt show, I imagine liability to be extremely high. Since the U.S. and Paris don't have the same laws, anything that affects the show in Orlando probably has little, if any, impact in Paris.

stuart

As much as everyone ( me included ) wants something original to come to DHS I get where Disney is coming from with this. No disrespect to anybody but over here in the UK nobody I know has even heard about Carsland or the DCA makeover unless I have told them. We don't get the adverts for DL or DCA, I cant even find a brochure for DL, it's all about WDW, even the people I know that go to WDW call it Disneyland as though it's the only one in the US. I would love to visit DL, but I think I'm one of the few, most people just want to go to Florida. I'm going to have a guess that it's probably the same throughout Europe and that's got to be disneys fault for lack of advertising, so if Carsland goes into DHS it could make a lot more people from my side of the pond want to visit WDW. Unless I come into some money the chances of me seeing DL and DCA are slim so I wouldn't be too upset if it goes to DHS.

True enough. It isn't really the lack of advertising from Disney that is the problem, as that is deliberate. Since the late 80s / early 90s when the first package holidays came about the draw has always been Florida - and this is down to a cost perspective of both guests and charter companies/airlines at that time, and that fact hasn't changed, hence the lack of advertising for DL. The other thing is, (as you, and other Europeans on here know) that UK and European holiday makers go somewhere for 2 or 3 weeks, and DL doesn't have the draw to keep people in Disney spending for 2 weeks, which WDW obviously has. Plus, with Disneyland Paris on our door step, they know where to encourage us to go, and even then, they have had to put some effort into that in recent years to entice people - 14 day ultimate park hoppers for 7 days, free dining, kids stay and play free etc, so they know not to put money into promoting somewhere, which is largely prohibitive for most people to go to. The upshot of that being, that when something is added or cloned - as we saw back in 05 - it will be pushed as being all new

ddbowdoin

As a stunt show, I imagine liability to be extremely high. Since the U.S. and Paris don't have the same laws, anything that affects the show in Orlando probably has little, if any, impact in Paris.

LMA! is a great show... unfortunately for the 1st time visitor / viewer. Like all great thrillers and suspense films, once you know all of the tricks and secrets it loses it appeal.

I'd like to see it gone... I'd also say at this point remove the entire backlot tour and start fresh, something new.

I think Cars land would be very, very nice.

saxamoophone

My thing is why make it something they've already done? Why not do something different and new? There's still plenty of material out there to go synergy-crazy with. Why not design something all new? Doesn't need to be Cars or nothing. It could be some other totally mind-blowing attraction that's every bit as immersive as Carsland without it being Cars. That's my question. Why not design something completely different? There's only 1 answer to this: it's too easy. The success is already there. DCA has blown up this summer with it's mega-success. There's little to no risk involved and they only have to modify things to fit the different space. I'm a road-less-traveled person. I don't buy the easy route.

I think it has something to do with $$$$$$ and some more to do with $$$$$$ ;).

Say it costs $400 million to develop a new ride, and $200 to do a clone of Cars Land. Now say a new ride is projected to bring in $700 million additional income over 10 years versus Cars Land with $600 million. Well if I'm running a business, I'd owe it to my stockholders to "put my fanboy hat down" and do the best business choice. Stinks for the "die-hards", but it is what it is.

At least Universal and DCA have both helped showcase that investments in themeparks can pay off QUICKLY.

JCAEdge21

It doesn't make a difference, you are right. If we go down that route, do we also say that all the Omnimovers are a problem?

I can't take full credit for this but put it this way.. Regarding RSR and Test Track, they may be similar ride systems but let's be real, you've never heard anyone EVER say "Yeah she's gorgeous, but she looks too much like Kate Upton. I don't think I'm ok with that".

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I for one do not like cloning attractions. And if it's done, subtle differences is appreciated. In this case, there are things I like about Disneyland's ToT more that WDW's and vice versa. Give me a reason to want to experience the attraction at each location (this is true of the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and HM as well). If we are going to get RSR, give us our own land with it's own unique look and offerings. The idea of cloaning it just sounds cheap.
Many would call it efficent.

I'm with you. Seriously. DHS is in dire need of something. My thing is why make it something they've already done? Why not do something different and new? There's still plenty of material out there to go synergy-crazy with. Why not design something all new? Doesn't need to be Cars or nothing. It could be some other totally mind-blowing attraction that's every bit as immersive as Carsland without it being Cars. That's my question. Why not design something completely different? There's only 1 answer to this: it's too easy. The success is already there. DCA has blown up this summer with it's mega-success. There's little to no risk involved and they only have to modify things to fit the different space. I'm a road-less-traveled person. I don't buy the easy route.
There is a simple 2 part answer. Risk and money.

Disney is no different than any other company in the fact that they want to minimize the risk as much as possible. When you are building a new concept there is always the chance that it will flop. Carsland has proven, albeit short, track record. A new concept does not. Disney would rather go with the sure thing.

A cloned attraction is less expensive to build because all of that money put into R&D for the original does not need to be spent again. Construction costs can also be reduced by avoiding the mistakes that were made on the original.

Mickey_777

Stupid idea. It's not that hard to get on a plane and fly out to DCA to see Carsland. Don't let 'em build it Johnny Lasseter! Even if it's notably different (DL Splash vs. MK Splash or Haunted Mansion), I just can't get excited about this for now.

fosse76

How many Batman rides are in Six Flags parks worldwide? lol
The thing about that, is that Six Flags parks aren't destination parks or resorts. People can drive within a few hours and be at Six Flags. That is why Six Flags and other regional parks clone rides. Most people who go to Great America in Chicago won't ever set foot at Great Adventure in New Jersey. And let's face it, Disney isn't much different. I imagine the vast majority of guests who visit WDW will never see DLR and vice versa. People aren't going to care if the same attractions can be found at the other park.

orky8

The thing about that, is that Six Flags parks aren't destination parks or resorts. People can drive within a few hours and be at Six Flags. That is why Six Flags and other regional parks clone rides. Most people who go to Great America in Chicago won't ever set foot at Great Adventure in New Jersey. And let's face it, Disney isn't much different. I imagine the vast majority of guests who visit WDW will never see DLR and vice versa. People aren't going to care if the same attractions can be found at the other park.

Most people won't even know. How many people go to WDW and ask where they can find the Potterland?

stuart

Airfare doesn't factor for us. I drive to WDW which makes DL that much more expensive for less time for us. It's not an easy difference. I definitely see your point, tho. I think WDW needs something as wildly successful as Carsland, too. I just don't see why it has to be another incarnation of something existing. It could be something different and new that's just as incredible and the experience would still be over-the-top for our European/foreign visitors. Right?

True enough, and it would be good to have something different, but as far as Disney will see it, the cost of a clone will be far less than creating something new, and just now with how the economy is they just arent going to drop a bundle on something new. Timescales will also play a factor in what is and isn't created.

As far as advertising it goes over here, despite it being a clone, the fact there is no promotion for anything DL related here, it will be spun as 'new, from disney's california adventure' and everyone will go head over heels for it, largely they wont be bothered if its a clone. If people don't know any better then it wont make any difference to the larger majority of the target audience - and Disney know that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom