DHS CARS LAND

devoy1701

Carsland could easily fit into DHS's theme of taking you into the movies just like the Streets of America, the land delivers you into a sort of masterful set. The problem is DHS needs the full DCA-treatment as the park is currently hopelessly disjointed. Carsland, while an amazing piece, was only a part of the DCA rehab. The entire DHS needs some reworking.

Also, it needs a water/boat ride. Something, anything. Ala splash mountain, pirates of the caribbean, or small world. What they really should do is using the technology being applied to Shanghai's Pirates of the Caribbean and make a "Great Animation Ride" with a boat ride through Disney's animated movies, starting with Snow White. A true animatronic masterpiece such a ride could be.

I agree that DHS needs a complete retheme. Not to get away from the whole "Hollywood that never was and always will be" theme, but just to have it make more sense. Aside from Sunset Blvd and Hollywood Blvd, (and I guess Animation Courtyard) the park makes no sense. The lands need to be retheme, some walkways need to be redirected, and if Carsland is brought in, Pixar Place definitely needs to be rebranded somehow.

lazyboy97o

The Walt Disney Company still has eyes on expanding the geographic region from which the Disneyland Resort draws guests. The purchase of national advertising time for Cars Land was no accident. Walt Disney World still has mostly domestic guests. Building Cars Land and/or Radiator Springs, along with The Little Mermaid, Toy Story Midway Mania!, etc. only pushes the two Resorts into competition with each other. That is not a good situation.

saxamoophone

The answer to that is yes - DisneySea would be a fantastic addition to Orlando, and I think would be the choice for the 5th park.

People like us, who aim to go to all the parks worldwide are in the minority. This is not Disney's primary market or aim.

As someone who has at least been to Disneyland and pretty much lived at Disney World growing up, I don't see what the big deal is.

Disney World STARTED as a clone afterall. Part of the fun to me is the differences between the parks. ToT, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, etc are all great rides, but each park has their own "spin" on it which makes it great.

Cars Land would be HUGE for DHS.

Personally, I just hope they keep the backlot tour (it has a lot of history with the park) and find a way to Pixar it. Just look at King Kong 360 and Universal Hollywood for examples. Imagine going on a "Pixar behind the scenes tour" where you can meet Monsters Inc, The Increds, Bugs Life, etc etc.

sweetpee_1993

How would one be deemed the lesser? That can be applied to certain rides shared by the two parks, I suppose, but I'm not really sure there's an overall plus or minus system for shared rides at WDW and DL. Or the other parks throughout the world for that matter (or attractions, restaurants, etc.).

People are always comparing the differences between PotC, HM, IaSWet al. from coast to coast. Even people who go from one to the other with the intent not to compare the common attractions do. In comparing they will decide which they like better in different aspects. So in each person's mind one is better than the other in the different characteristics. Kinda like how I felt when I sailed on DCL's Dream then DCL's Magic. Even if I can honestly say I don't like 1 over the other there are certainly things about each ship that I prefer over the other. The difference is that ships go to different ports on different itineraries which gives them the redo-ability. The parks and attractions are fixed. If you build the same thing or shadows of one to the other on opposing coasts it's yet another thing to add to the list of things that are common between the 2 resorts. It's a huge missed opportunity to be creative and show the world the depth of what is possible.

Rescue Ranger

I wonder how this, if at all, will eventually affect the popularity of the Cars wing at AoA?
While I'm not a huge fan of the movies, I did still enjoy it. Hopefully the attraction is not just an exact replica and will be unique in its own way to set them apart.

But with that said, I do hope its not just Cars, the Studios needs more. More than anything, I finally wanna see the Muppets get an expansion and more influence. The proposed plans we have seen looked amazing to me!

stuart

Yeah, I'm not wading thru all 14 pages of posts that hash out all the little bits. Who has that kind of time?

Carsland/RSRs in DHS is flat out stupid. Yes, I said it. Stoooooo-pid! Why does Disney insist on homogenizing everything between the coasts??? Hhhmmm...let's see....so people will go to one coast, have a big family vacation, and NOT see any reason to go to the other coast for Disney experiences they've not yet had??? Give people a reason to dole out twice the money into Mickey's hands over 2 vacations vs. just once. Geez. I'm not the most educated of people and even I can see this one plain as day.

Maybe there is something to the zombie fad that seems to be infiltrating every aspect of pop culture these days. There seems to be plenty of mindless zombies heading up the decision-making positions with Disney nowadays....:rolleyes:
Even if WDWs version was an improvement the 2 will still be compared and 1 will be deemed the lesser. Why even go that route? Give people something different, both amazing, to feel like they just can't miss on both coasts.

That is fine for those in North America who have the choice of which coast they visit, with comparable airfares. However, on the basis that I, like most European visitors to WDW (who account for a large percentage of WDW's guests) cannot easily afford to go to California in the same way we can WDW on the basis of package holidays, ulitmate park hopper tickets and cheaper flights etc, I'm more than happy if they bring something as successful as Carsland to WDW.

sweetpee_1993

why is it so many people are worried or have a problem with something being in both Disneyland and in Walt Disney World. The majority of vacationers don't have the option to go to either one anyways. I know they operate seperately, have different budgets, etc. but last I checked they are all under the same main umbrella.

If family A goes to Disneyland and family B goes to Disney World.....why is it each park needs to compete against each other for the other family???

Disneyland and Walt Disney World is and always will be different regardless of how many of the same rides/attractions they have. Maybe it's just me... but I can never figure out why if something is successful over 2,500 miles away why it can't be in both places. It's like saying we shouldn't build a Walmart because another store may lose people going to it and instead go to the other one (which is the same just closer).

You have to also take into consideration, if family A goes to Disneyland and family B goes to Disney World...and there are a lot of successful attractions in both (some of which are the same) there's a good chance you'll also pick up a family C and D

But wouldn't it be better if families A, B, C, & D all were so wow'd by the resort they chose to visit that they wondered what more Disney has done that they haven't seen yet at the other resort and went there, too?

orky8

People are always comparing the differences between PotC, HM, IaSWet al. from coast to coast. Even people who go from one to the other with the intent not to compare the common attractions do. In comparing they will decide which they like better in different aspects. So in each person's mind one is better than the other in the different characteristics. Kinda like how I felt when I sailed on DCL's Dream then DCL's Magic. Even if I can honestly say I don't like 1 over the other there are certainly things about each ship that I prefer over the other. The difference is that ships go to different ports on different itineraries which gives them the redo-ability. The parks and attractions are fixed. If you build the same thing or shadows of one to the other on opposing coasts it's yet another thing to add to the list of things that are common between the 2 resorts. It's a huge missed opportunity to be creative and show the world the depth of what is possible.

First - So What? Compare them. Many of the rides are clones of each other.

Second - Sweetpee, its Carsland, or nothing. Well, maybe a M&G. There is nothing behind door number 3 right now and DHS needs attractions badly. Every great idea for DHS over the last ten years has ended up nowhere.

jt04

Well, you were sure about Florida HSR "definitely" coming, and yet a year later you're still around. So that's another promise broken.....

I never said I would leave in that instance. So what promise was broken? I still say HSR is definitely coming to the area. It will just be done by the private sector. Someday.

We were promised Lasseter would never let his "baby" aka the Cars franchise, be used in Florida. Now those same people are saying it is almost definite. I said Lasseter does not have that kind of power over such decisions and was flamed over it. Now those same people are silent on the issue. And I just keep on keep on keeping on. Slow and steady wins the race.

Jedeye80

As much as everyone ( me included ) wants something original to come to DHS I get where Disney is coming from with this. No disrespect to anybody but over here in the UK nobody I know has even heard about Carsland or the DCA makeover unless I have told them. We don't get the adverts for DL or DCA, I cant even find a brochure for DL, it's all about WDW, even the people I know that go to WDW call it Disneyland as though it's the only one in the US. I would love to visit DL, but I think I'm one of the few, most people just want to go to Florida. I'm going to have a guess that it's probably the same throughout Europe and that's got to be disneys fault for lack of advertising, so if Carsland goes into DHS it could make a lot more people from my side of the pond want to visit WDW. Unless I come into some money the chances of me seeing DL and DCA are slim so I wouldn't be too upset if it goes to DHS.

Poirot4

Out of curiosity, for those of you that are DL fans, were you upset when Disney brought ToT over to DCA? Just curious if people back then were complaining that they weren't getting a new attraction and just a clone of an existing one.

wiigirl

I'll take a duplicated Cars Land over waiting around for something else (either better or original) to come around. If we didn't take cars land, I imagine I would be waiting quite a while.

me too...even if they copy 99% of it, its better than nothing :p
75.gif

spacemt354

Chili's
So should we get our own DisneySea for the simple reason that most people in the US will never visit Japan? Duplicating attractions and lands ensures that visiting the other resorts would most likely never happen. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here, I am not opposed to Cars coming to WDW (though I thought Pixar Place was supposed to be the land in the back of the park...guess their abandoning that idea), all I'm saying is that right now Carsland, World of Color, and those types of offerings are specific reasons of why I (or anyone) would visit Disneyland, cloning them here takes away that reason. Being a diehard fan, I visit Disneyland anyway...but your average park guests definitely won't. There so much they can do, other Pixar properties to tap, or theming that can be used without having to build a direct clone. Instead of Carsland, give us Monstrolpolis or the World of Wall-E or something.

A lot of people live in the northeast (I'm one of them). It's much easier for them to take a 2 1/2 hour flight to WDW, then it is to take a 6 hour flight to Anaheim, or to other parks around the world.

Carsland has been beyond successful. I haven't heard one bad review about it yet. Sure there are plently of other Pixar brands but I feel those would be great for a Pixar Place expansion phase 2, after Carsland.

Let's say they decided on Monstrolpolis. It's a city with monsters and a factory at the end of it with a potential doors coaster. By default, this project will be compared to Carsland. Some may say, it's not as good, Monstolpolis isn't as immersive as Carsland, the outside streets were hardly in the movie, there's no real design, just some buildings and a factory, etc.

I feel a lot of the other Pixar brands like Monster's Inc, Up, Incredibles aren't so easy to just build on a massive scale. I think they would make good additions in a phase 2 in this potential expansion. And why try to take a concept without as much depth as Radiator Springs and attempt to create it on that grand scale.

It's funny how people complained about TLM coming to wdw because it wasn't a great success in DCA. Yet when a very successful attraction like RSR could be coming to wdw, people still find a way to complain about it, saying that they have a lack of vision and imagination.

And was Carsland the grand finale of Disneyland? Are the crowds just going away if RSR is put in DHS? They don't have any new projects lined up like DCA phase 2 or a Tomorrowland E-ticket? I don't see how building a successful attraction in DHS, while still keeping the original successful attraction in DCA is bad for anyone.

devoy1701

Out of curiosity, for those of you that are DL fans, were you upset when Disney brought ToT over to DCA? Just curious if people back then were complaining that they weren't getting a new attraction and just a clone of an existing one.

I for one do not like cloning attractions. And if it's done, subtle differences is appreciated. In this case, there are things I like about Disneyland's ToT more that WDW's and vice versa. Give me a reason to want to experience the attraction at each location (this is true of the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and HM as well). If we are going to get RSR, give us our own land with it's own unique look and offerings. The idea of cloaning it just sounds cheap.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I never said I would leave in that instance. So what promise was broken? I still say HSR is definitely coming to the area. It will just be done by the private sector. Someday.

We were promised Lasseter would never let his "baby" aka the Cars franchise, be used in Florida. Now those same people are saying it is almost definite. I said Lasseter does not have that kind of power over such decisions and was flamed over it. Now those same people are silent on the issue. And I just keep on keep on keeping on. Slow and steady wins the race.

"I will quit this site when I am sure about something." Definitely really comes into play there. But rest assured, we realize it was an empty promise, akin to you ever stepping foot on the grounds of WDW again.

alphac2005

Do you classify Small World and Pirates as a problem, because it is the same ride system? or all of the Omnimovers being a problem? Or the Great Movie Ride and Universe of Energy?

The difference, Steve, is that the omnimover and boat vehicles on these rides are unimportant secondary components, they aren't part of the ride. The omnimover vehicles and boats are the vessels to get you through the attraction, but with Test Track and Radiator Springs, the actual vehicle is an important piece to the ride and they are virtually the same.

I also want to point out that I'm not against the idea of Radiator Springs Racers at the Studios, whatsoever, rather just pointing out that there is more than a tad bit of overlap.

You're right, Body Wars was sorely lacking, but anyone that I went with would always say that it's Star Tours, but a different film, and that wasn't said in a favorable way.

sweetpee_1993

First - So What? Compare them. Many of the rides are clones of each other.

Second - Sweetpee, its Carsland, or nothing. Well, maybe a M&G. There is nothing behind door number 3 right now and DHS needs attractions badly. Every great idea for DHS over the last ten years has ended up nowhere.

I'm with you. Seriously. DHS is in dire need of something. My thing is why make it something they've already done? Why not do something different and new? There's still plenty of material out there to go synergy-crazy with. Why not design something all new? Doesn't need to be Cars or nothing. It could be some other totally mind-blowing attraction that's every bit as immersive as Carsland without it being Cars. That's my question. Why not design something completely different? There's only 1 answer to this: it's too easy. The success is already there. DCA has blown up this summer with it's mega-success. There's little to no risk involved and they only have to modify things to fit the different space. I'm a road-less-traveled person. I don't buy the easy route.

lazyboy97o

Disney World STARTED as a clone afterall. Part of the fun to me is the differences between the parks. ToT, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, etc are all great rides, but each park has their own "spin" on it which makes it great.
The Magic Kingdom may be similar to Disneyland, but Walt Disney World was set up as being much more than just the park. External factors such as transportation were also different. In recent years we have also seen more direct cloning with a different wrapper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom