DHS CARS LAND

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Great. Universal is cloning something that has given them some success that they haven't seen before. ;) Does that mean Disney has to follow Universal now? No.

There is no doubt they would have a good thing on their hands if they cloned. But they would have a great thing if they used something else as a model (not necessarily Star Wars) for Florida.

Correction, they could have a great thing. Carsland is low risk since it's already been built, people know about it and it's been very well received. Disney seems to have become very risk averse, so Carsland is the less risky option.

BryceM

Why spend a whole week when you can do both Universal parks in one day?

Jimmy Thick- Which is why Universal will never beat Disney at their own game.
Maybe if you rush. The atmosphere is an attraction in itself with the two parks, CityWalk and the hotels. I could easily spend 5 days there and I'm sure there are people who could do the same at Disneyland.

More doesn't always mean better.

doctornick

So, to try to keep this on target... what I don't get is why hasn't this been greenlit and progressing at this point? The only significant construction at WDW right now is the remainder of the FLE, so it's prime time to have another project started. Cars Land is a proven winner and would be relatively affordable as a clone. The door coaster has been on the books for years and I think work was even started in the soundstage for it in 2008 or so (feel free to correct me).

What is the holdup? If it's going to happen, why not make it happen so you might actually have a significant attraction come online in 2015 or so? It's been 4 months since this thread was started about Cars Land being supposedly green lit at that time. How slow is TDO or Burbank in decisions? What is the holdup?

Captain Chaos

Maybe if you rush. The atmosphere is an attraction in itself with the two parks, CityWalk and the hotels. I could easily spend 5 days there and I'm sure there are people who could do the same at Disneyland.

More doesn't always mean better.
I spent 3 days in Universal... 2 in IOA and 1 in the Studios and still didn't manage to do all I wanted... But I did HHN for the first time... I'll never do Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween again...

PeterAlt

I was just thinking they need something big for 2015. So if it is just RSR that seems doable. They do not have to build all that rockwork AND they could incorporate the Canyon. It also would help define the extent of Pixar too.

I have warmed to the idea of RSR because it won't cost nearly as much as the DL version and is guaranteed to be a success. Much of the infrastructure and show building will easily be hidden. It helps make the best use of that corner of DHS also. There are a lot of positives with this add if it happens.

DHS needs more thrills, Backlot tour would go, the unmagical stadium might go and Pixar has room to grow rather then being shoehorned in everywhere.

I am on the bandwagon.
I'm totally against cheapening a good provenly successful project. Look at TZToT. I bragged to all my CA friends how great it was before it opened at DCA. Once it opened there, they couldn't understand what the big deal was. Then I learned that they cut $50 million of it compared to the DHS version, eliminating the Fifth Dimension scene, in effect making the west coast version a simple up and down free fall ride with some cool effects along the way. That was not the ride I had bragged about and can see why they're puzzled over east coast's fascination over it! That said, we better get the same experience the west coast is getting of Cars Land, not a lame watered-down version, like the TZToT they got!

doctornick

I'm totally against cheapening a good provenly successful project. Look at TZToT. I bragged to all my CA friends how great it was before it opened at DCA. Once it opened there, they couldn't understand what the big deal was. Then I learned that they cut $50 million of it compared to the DHS version, eliminating the Fifth Dimension scene, in effect making the west coast version a simple up and down free fall ride with some cool effects along the way. That was not the ride I had bragged about and can see why they're puzzled over east coast's fascination over it! That said, we better get the same experience the west coast is getting of Cars Land, not a lame watered-down version, like the TZToT they got!

If they do RSR, they need to do it right IMHO. Real rockwork, a full ride, great AAs, etc. I don't think they need to do a full Cars Land, but they need to go all out on whatever attraction they end up doing.

Goofyernmost

If Disney announced even a small but expanded Star Wars land, for lack of a better term, Disney fanboi's would go nuts, SW fanboi's would go nuts, the general public would go nuts. People would forget Potter exists and DHS would have its "killer app". You don't have the same potential with Cars.

Thats not to say Carsland would not be successful, Iam sure it would based on whats happening on the west coast. I just find it hard to believe Disney would sit on the SW property when the public obviously wants it.

Jimmy Thick- Potential.

No, Star Wars Fanboi's would go nuts, not Disney Fanboi's. Not everyone is that obsessed with that property.

CinematicFusion

Truth is as far as wow factor rides...universal has caught up. You can make an argument saying they have surpassed Disney as far as creating wow factor rides. All you have to do is look at the last 5 years and the next 5 years. Universal is right in that discussion. Only a fool would say they aren't.

As far as overall park experience, universal has a long way to go to catch up but you can't say they aren't trying.

Sad for Disney, part of the park experience is the excitement of the next best idea, the great new concept. mission space is a great concept. Might not be for all but it's what you want to see a theme park do, push and take chances on imaginative ideas.

I guess Disney is about to create some exciting new ride ideas, they are good about talking up ride ideas...somehow recently they have lost there way to execute.

michmousefan

Truth is as far as wow factor rides...universal has caught up. You can make an argument saying they have surpassed Disney as far as creating wow factor rides. All you have to do is look at the last 5 years and the next 5 years. Universal is right in that discussion. Only a fool would say they aren't.

As far as overall park experience, universal has a long way to go to catch up but you can't say they aren't trying.
I guess Disney is about to create some exciting new ride ideas, they are good about talking up ride ideas...somehow recently they have lost there way to execute.
Agreed that Uni has caught up to Disney in terms of ride technology; their recent rides are impressive. Plus, what's on tap for Potter 2.0 looks amazing from what I've heard and read about in bits and pieces.

I'm sure a Carsland, if it's on the same scale as at DCA, would be fantastic and a great draw. I'd be first in line to experience it.

That said... I was reading a "christmas letter" from a friend who was talking about what their kids were into. His son is a huge Star Wars fan... they rode ST2 when they visited earlier this year, the kid had a SW themed birthday party and went to "Jedi Camp" this summer. That's just a single example, but I have other friends whose kids are into SW as well. Not so much the Potter stuff, at least not anymore. So with the advent of three (at least) new movies the interest into the SW universe will only continue to grow. Personally, I think that's a big reason why there's no announcement of SW "lands" yet -- their design may well be influenced by the worlds yet to be seen in the upcoming films.

I'm confident WDI can still come up with some amazing attractions based on the SW world, but I'm not so confident that TDO will fund those attractions.

G00fyDad

Correction, they could have a great thing. Carsland is low risk since it's already been built, people know about it and it's been very well received. Disney seems to have become very risk averse, so Carsland is the less risky option.

Correction again. If they do anything in DHS, short of a road side carnival (Dinoland :confused:), then they would have something great.

G00fyDad

Why can't they have a great clone and a great new attractions? There's no reason not to build Cars Land and expand the Star Wars presence in DHS.

Furthermore, the rumors for Pixar Place involve not just Cars Land, but the Monsters Inc door coaster which would be unique to WDW and possibly a Ratatouille ride which would be unique among US parks.

I (and many others) wish. That would almost require a FLE type expansion for DHS and not many see that happening. Sorry.

doctornick

I (and many others) wish. That would almost require a FLE type expansion for DHS and not many see that happening. Sorry.

In terms of space or cost? If they are truly using LMA and Backlot Tour (plus Soundstage 1) for expansion, that's quite a bit of space. Others have illustrated how a full Cars Land could fit in the LMA/Backlot space with the Monsters, Inc coaster in the Soundstage. If you only do RSR/Flo's and not the full Cars Land, I think the remaining Cars Land "space" could fit a large dark ride like Ratatouille. There's even some backstage area around Stage Lane that could be used.

Now, if you are talking about money, sure that's an issue. It's presumably the hold up in getting anything green lit. But what would RSR/door coaster/Ratatouille cost in total? $600 million at most, I'd guess, probably more like $500 million. They can do that, if they want, and -- let's be honest -- the park really needs it

Disneyhead'71

The "insiders" had no clue Disney was talking to Lucas about buying Star Wars. It makes absolutely no sense to buy Star Wars and use the Cars franchise instead when you have Star Wars to exploit.

Star Wars will make more money if developed into a themed land.

Jimmy Thick- Fact.
I heard about the purchase on fan forums at least 2 months before the announcement. there were several posts here about it prior to the announcement. So once again you are factually incorrect. But PLEASE don't let facts get in the way of a good Pixie dust fueled rant.

Disneyhead'71

If Carsland was seriously being considered it would have been announced by Disney by now, simply from the fact of the huge success from the west coast and it would have made huge news everywhere.

Disney bought Star Wars.

If there was anything being considered about Carsland, I highly doubt its still valid.

Disney has been owning the "insiders" left and right of late, I doubt there are any true "insiders" anymore.

Jimmy Thick- Insiders also said Avatar was dead...But apparently Disney has been working on it...
I will copy and keep this bit of arrogance for future reference.

Disneyhead'71

I believe its safe to say the even when Potter opened, more people were in DHS. I would be so bold to fearlessly predict DHS will have a much higher attendance number than IOA. I make these statements without any research, just simple logic.

Jimmy Thick- Lets see, DHS outdraws IOA by 2, 3 million?
Is this the line for Star Tours 2.0?
U99P200T1D325707F8DT20100621035135.jpg

MerlinTheGoat

What are you smoking?
I don't know but I want some.

(Not really. Even if whatever he's on does actually addle the brain and eyes into thinking WDW is still at the top of their game and as good as it was in the 80's and early 90's, I wouldn't be able to cope with the side effects of dead brain cells and the chronic need to post obnoxious and self-debunking messages on forums.)

Disneyhead'71

I am relatively new here. But I gather that there are a few Pixie Dust addled "spokespersons" here. That's ok, I'm a big boy and can hold my own against "Dusters".
Knowledge trumps passion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom