DHS CARS LAND

gonnichi

It will be interesting to see how attendance Numbers look for 2012. I can easliy see Uni IoA maintaining its 7.7 million from 2011 and maybe going to 8.0 or even 8.5 in 2012. It could very well slip to 7.0 too. With all of the new attractions being built I can see it rising again very soon though.

I can also see DHS slipping a bit too, maybe to 9.0 or 9.5 in 2012. It would be very interesting to see if IoA or Uni studios can over take DHS once Potter 2.0 opens.

Does anyone have any actual numbers for attendance in 2012 yet?

celluloid

Very well said gonichi. Not every visitor would be able to make a trip to the newly Opened Wizarding World at Universal in its first two years. There will still be more coming throughout the year that were saving up for a trip to see it on top of those who were saving up for a Universal Orlando Resort trip anyway. You will also see attendance to the parks and events like Halloween Horror Nights increase once people are able to stay starting early 2014 at the new value hotel in comparison to the other three there.

Disneyhead'71

The TEA report usually comes in around the end of May. All we have now is Iger stating DLR up significantly, WDW down modestly. No clue on Uni's numbers.
Given WDW's 18 year head start, Uni seems to be holding their own. They are no longer riding on the mouse's tail. They are a thing in their own right.
That said, with the number of fired imagineers now working at Uni., and their dis of Comcast's hostile take over. There are more that a few up the road that would LOVE to put a kink in the Mouse's tail. And Comcast holds a really good hand being the nation's largerst distributor of ESPN ((Disney's biggest money maker), ABC, Disney Channel, Disney XD, and ABC Family. Disney is in no position to do battle with them. Actually, Comcast is free to chock all those channels with Uni/Potter ads along with Comcast's own NBC, MSNBC, E!, Style, G4, and Comcast SportNet.

CinematicFusion

Agreed that Uni has caught up to Disney in terms of ride technology; their recent rides are impressive. Plus, what's on tap for Potter 2.0 looks amazing from what I've heard and read about in bits and pieces.

I'm sure a Carsland, if it's on the same scale as at DCA, would be fantastic and a great draw. I'd be first in line to experience it.

That said... I was reading a "christmas letter" from a friend who was talking about what their kids were into. His son is a huge Star Wars fan... they rode ST2 when they visited earlier this year, the kid had a SW themed birthday party and went to "Jedi Camp" this summer. That's just a single example, but I have other friends whose kids are into SW as well. Not so much the Potter stuff, at least not anymore. So with the advent of three (at least) new movies the interest into the SW universe will only continue to grow. Personally, I think that's a big reason why there's no announcement of SW "lands" yet -- their design may well be influenced by the worlds yet to be seen in the upcoming films.

I'm confident WDI can still come up with some amazing attractions based on the SW world, but I'm not so confident that TDO will fund those attractions.

I'm hoping to see some exciting ideas but Disney is moving at a snails pace, at this rate there will be more new rides to explore at universal then Disney when I go in2016.
I love Disney but I'm about experiencing the latest and greatest. With 2 potter rides and transformers, it will be hard not to go there. Why would I want to go to DHS that has a been there done that park vibe, even Epcot is starting to get that stale vibe. Not a good sign for Disney.

CinematicFusion

I believe Universal Orlando and DHS opened within a week of each other or a short amout of time.

IOA will never surpasse any Disney Park as long as MK continues to chug along, its just not possible.

Jimmy Thick- MK is the king, and distributes too many guests.

That is why Disney doesn't need to build any rides, that is why you don't see Disney jumping at the hip to come up with the latest and greatest in ride tech. Disney just doesn't need to, they can sit back and relax....pele will just come.

We need Disney to get nervous before you see some truly awesome expansions in the parks.

celluloid

Also, it is not about DHS or any one WDW park falling below IOA or Universal Studios attendance, but rather the fact that Univerasl is on the rise of both attendance and more specifically guest spending, and WDW has guest spending at a low point and Attendance from each park either stagnant or dropping some percentage. Its a collective resort losing people.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So, to try to keep this on target... what I don't get is why hasn't this been greenlit and progressing at this point? The only significant construction at WDW right now is the remainder of the FLE, so it's prime time to have another project started. Cars Land is a proven winner and would be relatively affordable as a clone. The door coaster has been on the books for years and I think work was even started in the soundstage for it in 2008 or so (feel free to correct me).

What is the holdup? If it's going to happen, why not make it happen so you might actually have a significant attraction come online in 2015 or so? It's been 4 months since this thread was started about Cars Land being supposedly green lit at that time. How slow is TDO or Burbank in decisions? What is the holdup?
Simple. Someone has to pay for it, and how much can they cut and get away with it.

Btw... Where aside from web rumour has it said Ratatouille is being considered for Orlando?

G00fyDad

In terms of space or cost? If they are truly using LMA and Backlot Tour (plus Soundstage 1) for expansion, that's quite a bit of space. Others have illustrated how a full Cars Land could fit in the LMA/Backlot space with the Monsters, Inc coaster in the Soundstage. If you only do RSR/Flo's and not the full Cars Land, I think the remaining Cars Land "space" could fit a large dark ride like Ratatouille. There's even some backstage area around Stage Lane that could be used.

Now, if you are talking about money, sure that's an issue. It's presumably the hold up in getting anything green lit. But what would RSR/door coaster/Ratatouille cost in total? $600 million at most, I'd guess, probably more like $500 million. They can do that, if they want, and -- let's be honest -- the park really needs it

Space and cost. You can scale the Cars Land to fit the DHS on a map (I've seen the one you are referring to) and that seems a bit scaled down to me. Maybe I am wrong and it is to scale and would actually fit. But even if it does fit it would be crammed in so tight that it would look pretty bad. Unless they moved the access road behind LMA and BLT. Then space would not be an issue. And cost is going to kill it before it ever sees a shovel hit dirt because TDO's bean counters are going to try to shave off as much as they can from the budget making it a joke by the time it gets built, if ever.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Space and cost. You can scale the Cars Land to fit the DHS on a map (I've seen the one you are referring to) and that seems a bit scaled down to me. Maybe I am wrong and it is to scale and would actually fit. But even if it does fit it would be crammed in so tight that it would look pretty bad. Unless they moved the access road behind LMA and BLT. Then space would not be an issue. And cost is going to kill it before it ever sees a shovel hit dirt because TDO's bean counters are going to try to shave off as much as they can from the budget making it a joke by the time it gets built, if ever.

People have done overlays of the aerial view showing that if LMA and backlot were removed Carsland would fit exactly as it was built in DCA.

IWant2GoNow

Simple. Someone has to pay for it, and how much can they cut and get away with it.

Btw... Where aside from web rumour has it said Ratatouille is being considered for Orlando?

I think perhaps some are confusing it with this rumor for France.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/epcot-france-rumor.852784/#post-5169143

But you're right, everything I've seen or heard about Ratatouille for any park in WDW has just been spitballing ideas on forums. From what I gather on this site anyway.

G00fyDad

People have done overlays of the aerial view showing that if LMA and backlot were removed Carsland would fit exactly as it was built in DCA.

I doubt that it would fit everything in. It may hold all of the attractions at a sardine can fit, but who wants that? And one aerial view can be a bit different in scale than another. Besides the scale or not to scale issue, why build something that is exactly like something in California just to get a little buzz going. Why not take the time to build something else totally unique for WDW and have people blown away by yet another, different, addition to one of Disney's parks?

Bryner84

Posted in the Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor thread by M.rudolf:

"RSR
MI coaster
Rat clone
Flo's. diner
Merry Christmas, this is the latest as of 3pm today posted as soon as I could due to travel"

Mickey_777

If RSR does indeed get built at DHS, I hope they tweek the story inside the mountain/showbuilding to integrate parts of Cars 2. Cars 2 was horrid as a film but the scenes in europe were beautiful and I'd like to see some of that. I was on RSR earlier this month and the whole leaving Radiator Springs to enter a less detailed version of Radiator Springs (inside the mountain) didn't sit well with me.

doctornick

If RSR does indeed get built at DHS, I hope they tweek the story inside the mountain/showbuilding to integrate parts of Cars 2. Cars 2 was horrid as a film but the scenes in europe were beautiful and I'd like to see some of that. I was on RSR earlier this month and the whole leaving Radiator Springs to enter a less detailed version of Radiator Springs (inside the mountain) didn't sit well with me.

But that is why I think RSR, as is from DCA, is perfect for a standalong attraction in DHS. On the ride, you "visit" Radiator Springs and the surrounding countryside. It's a little superfluous if you are already walking around in Radiator Springs on your own (i.e. Cars Land) but if DHS just had RSR, then I think having all the scenary of the town as part of the ride works. Plus you get to "meet" the Cars (first movie) characters that way.

I don't see much of a need for a Cars 2 overlay for DHS, especially given that was the inferior movie.

doctornick

Posted in the Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor thread by M.rudolf:

"RSR
MI coaster
Rat clone
Flo's. diner
Merry Christmas, this is the latest as of 3pm today posted as soon as I could due to travel"

Yep, this is what I was referring to when I brought up Ratatouille. I'm skeptical about it, but I guess it's a plausible direction to go. That's three expensive rides, though, and I think it's more likely to have RSR/Monster inc coaster plus a flat ride or two. Or if they do Ratatouille, to have it end up as a more basic (cheaper) dark ride rather than LPS tech.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom