DHS CARS LAND

Cosmic Commando

Will Carsland come to WDW? Possibly years down the road as part of a fifth gate as that would be easier to build as it would on unusued land, as opposed to reconstructive surgery on DHS. I could see a new Star Wars Land as part of a fifth gate at WDW, possibly with Carsland. That, IMHO, is what could really drive attendance at WDW, all the big talk about a fifth gate, not just an expansion. With BVS & Carsland, DCA is practically a new park, when you also look at WoC.

There is a handy expansion pad near the MK's parking lot, perfect size for a fifth gate, and within monorail access.
Yeah, but DHS needs reconstructive surgery. As bad as DCA was, it was still a theme park. They replaced attractions with better attractions. They replaced stores with better stores. The whole back half of DHS was built as a working production facility and is currently masquerading as a theme park.

JustInTime

Non - if I'm being honest.

So you just don't like m&g's then? I think it's nice having characters run around. It helps with the attraction lines and it gives it that Disney touch. The point isn't to feel like you are walking around the old west, the point is that you are walking around the old west with a Disney twist. Like when you round the corner, you can take a boat ride with a cunning bunny rabbit. The area quite realistic but intentionally unrealistic at the same time. I think the formula works.

SirLink

So you just don't like m&g's then? I think it's nice having characters run around. It helps with the attraction lines and it gives it that Disney touch. The point isn't to feel like you are walking around the old west, the point is that you are walking around the old west with a Disney twist. Like when you round the corner, you can take a boat ride with a cunning bunny rabbit. The area quite realistic but intentionally unrealistic at the same time. I think the formula works.

I do find it strange they didn't add a critter country section to place the Brer creatures and Winnie the Pooh in.

They could have Streetmosphere in Frontierland like a Sherrif, etc. Personally I'm always a little creeped out that both kids and adults alike want a picture taken with a teenager in a costume. But I guess it's just me?

JustInTime

I do find it strange they didn't add a critter country section to place the Brer creatures and Winnie the Pooh in.

They could have Streetmosphere in Frontierland like a Sherrif, etc. Personally I'm always a little creeped out that both kids and adults alike want a picture taken with a teenager in a costume. But I guess it's just me?

Agreed about Critter Country.

And you are either a M&G person, or your not. I personally am but I do see the creepy side of it, too. It's just a costume.

FigmentJedi

Pooh doesn't even belong in the Disneyland Critter Country. Critter Country is America, Pooh is British.

doctornick

Why not? What M&G's would you want for those lands? More donalds/goofys and chip and dale? At least these characters go with the theme.

I have no problem with Woody/Jessie being in Frontierland, but I think putting Br'er Bear and Br'er Fox there (they've done so in the past, but I don't think they do nowadays) would be good. And, yes, I know no one under 40 or so would have seen the movie (legally) in this country, but they are at least familar from Splash.

JustInTime

I have no problem with Woody/Jessie being in Frontierland, but I think putting Br'er Bear and Br'er Fox there (they've done so in the past, but I don't think they do nowadays) would be good. And, yes, I know no one under 40 or so would have seen the movie (legally) in this country, but they are at least familar from Splash.

You are right. They would be good. I met them there when I was a kid. I think they may still come out for parties like the Country Bears.

Spike-in-Berlin

So, is there still any hope for Cars Land in WDW?

Cars Land is, as DCA proves, a can't miss project. If they build Cars Land it will be a huge success, even if they don't build ALL attractions from DCA, only RSR is a must for the success and a complete Radiator Springs village. Huge difference to Avatarland IMHO, because it is questionable if Avatar, despite it's huge box office success will spawn a franchise that becomes a lasting part of western pop culture.

The Empress Lilly

It's funny that you should say that. FL did have streetmosphere, before the M&G mania of the digital photography era, and before the MK became cartoonified.

G00fyDad

It's funny that you should say that. FL did have streetmosphere, before the M&G mania of the digital photography era, and before the MK became cartoonified.

Unfortunately, Disney plays to the current crowd desires. They know that the people that really liked this sort of thing are our age. These days, children only want to see CGI characters and Disney is only happy to provide that.

SirLink

Unfortunately, Disney plays to the current crowd desires. They know that the people that really liked this sort of thing are our age. These days, children only want to see CGI characters and Disney is only happy to provide that.

Well they play to the lowest common denominator and that is whatever is a popular franchise. The same reason, or one of the reasons, why Alien Encounter was kicked out because parents don't read signs that say: "This Experience may be frightening to younger guests". They don't listen and run off to Guest Relations to get something for their inability to read, look at the latest idiots complaining over concrete peanut allergies, without thinking.

Pixiedustmaker

Cars Land is, as DCA proves, a can't miss project. If they build Cars Land it will be a huge success, even if they don't build ALL attractions from DCA, only RSR is a must for the success and a complete Radiator Springs village. Huge difference to Avatarland IMHO, because it is questionable if Avatar, despite it's huge box office success will spawn a franchise that becomes a lasting part of western pop culture.

But remember that Carsland at DCA added new capacity to DCA, both in terms of space, and in terms of new attractions. Now, after Carsland, DCA 2.0 can accomodate a lot more guests, which means more tickets sold. Sure, Carsland at DCA is successful, but it hasn't yet come even close to paying for the $600 million or so it took to build it. Though Carsland at DCA would pay for itself a lot faster at DCA than at DHS b/c DCA had such low attendance numbers and lack of rides, and a big empty parking lot to build Carsland on.

When you look at DHS, would adding Carsland increase guest capacity as much? The backlot tour, LMA, and some of the other things Carsland would be displace (in theory), wouldn't increase DHS as much as you'd think in terms of space for new guests. As is, DHS pulls in about 10 million a year, would that number increase to 17 million like at MK with Carsland? Doubtful, IMHO. So, you're looking at a much smaller growth in terms of annual visitors to DHS if you add Carsland, when compared to DCA, because at DHS you are destroying older attractions which still bring in guests to the park.

I figure that with Carsland, DHS would get close to closing due to capacity issues, as well as possible infrastructure issues. If Carsland is built, I think it will go on undeveloped land, i.e. fifth gate, as then you could really cycle through much more guests, and generate a faster return on investment, versus putting it in a smaller park like DHS.

From a financial standpoint, it would be hard to argue redoing 1/3 of DHS without the drastic gains possible in attendance that we saw in DCA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom