DHS CARS LAND

flynnibus

Premium Member
But a Star Wars park would be aimed at a HUGE audience and I would be so annoyed if I visit WDW, pay a lot of money for my AP or MYWT and STILL have to pay aditionally for the new Star Wars Park? You can do that with DisneyQuest, with a minor attraction that you do not exactly have to visit, I think most guests don't even know about it.
But the SW- or Lucasfilm-Park would be a major attraction and built for an attendance in the range of at least DHS and if they would charge for that I would boycott it.

So you are saying if it's not popular.. you can get away with charging for it... but if its popular.. you can't charge for it?

That's completely backwards. Of course something like SW would be popular, and that's why you could productize it separately.

People are willing to pay for UNI *JUST* for WWOHP. And that's at 90+ dollars a day. If you were to build a park on its own, you are free to do as you desire and able to charge for it independently of your other pricing model.

Is there a reason for Disney to build a fifth gate to gain attendance? Last time I checked all of their parks ranked in the top 7 world wide. Yes even with WWoHP their attendance still kills Uni's overall. Just give some needed TLC to the existing parks and they are ok for a long time to come. On another topic. With the additions to the tangled meet and greet with restrooms. The movie wasn't all that great. Why are they so set on ramming it down our throats? There are much better Disney princesses they could build stand alone meet and greets for.

cheezbat

there is one in disney sea...easy clone however it appears to require more space than the current jones show area.

I know there are Indiana Jones themed coasters out there already...I was just saying that since Disney never seems to want to build anything anymore unless its from a franchise, I figured they could dust off the old Fire Mountain plans and modify it to fit an Indy story. It could be awesome!

JustInTime

Is there a reason for Disney to build a fifth gate to gain attendance? Last time I checked all of their parks ranked in the top 7 world wide. Yes even with WWoHP their attendance still kills Uni's overall. Just give some needed TLC to the existing parks and they are ok for a long time to come. On another topic. With the additions to the tangled meet and greet with restrooms. The movie wasn't all that great. Why are they so set on ramming it down our throats? There are much better Disney princesses they could build stand alone meet and greets for.
Actually, you are the first person I have ever heard say that Tangled wasn't that great. I'd say it's one of the best Disney movies in about 15 years or so. And critics agree.

SirLink

Em there is no meet and greet just toilets that is it!

PurpleRose

I know there are Indiana Jones themed coasters out there already...I was just saying that since Disney never seems to want to build anything anymore unless its from a franchise, I figured they could dust off the old Fire Mountain plans and modify it to fit an Indy story. It could be awesome!
I was just getting ready to say something similiar! That would be awesome. Can't cross my fingers too hard, need to keep circulation in my hands.

TikiTorch

There is absolutely no evidence that WDW is planning a 5th gate anywhere in the near future (10 years +), as virtually every insider on these forums has said repeatedly.

Spike-in-Berlin

It definitely would be, could be the RSR of WDW, pulling new crowds.
I just hope they don't do it the cheap way and build something like the Indy coaster in DLP, believe me, it's the worst Disney coaster if you don't count The Great Goofini. Boring like hell although it features inversions and really bad imagineering, it reeks 10 miles against the wind "cheap, downwatered substitute" for an attraction that would have been one of the most awesome Disney projects, on par with RSR.

GLaDOS

It definitely would be, could be the RSR of WDW, pulling new crowds.
I just hope they don't do it the cheap way and build something like the Indy coaster in DLP, believe me, it's the worst Disney coaster if you don't count The Great Goofini. Boring like hell although it features inversions and really bad imagineering, it reeks 10 miles against the wind "cheap, downwatered substitute" for an attraction that would have been one of the most awesome Disney projects, on par with RSR.

It really is awful. Rough, boring, and terrible looking.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Public companies and thier investors like to see growth, not a flat line. Increasing attendance is one way to push that growth. Also remember that the current attedance levels are partially driven by big hotel discounts and free dining plans. Disney would love to have a product that draws that same attendance level or more, without the discounts. That, IMHO, is the reason you want to increase attendance. How you achieve that increase is another discussion.

As to your second point, they are bringing Tangled into the park (don't really see any ramming going on), because it was a very popular movie and I think you will find that a lot of poeple, myself included, would disagree with your opion that it wasn't a great movie. I really liked Tangled, it's one of movies that if I see it flipping channels I'll stop and watch portions of it over and over. There is no stand alone meet and greet being build for Tangled, Rapunzel will be meeting with all the other princesses in the new Princess Fairetale Hall.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And do you know what it had replaced? What was never built because EuroDisney was not the success they expected?
It didn't replace as such. There was still room for the EMV only version. Temple of Peril was a clever quick fix for getting a cheap, but not too cheap looking, thrill ride into the park. And they had just five months to open it.

GLaDOS

I'll give you rough and boring....but I think it looks fantastic. If only the actual ride experience was as good...

From far away, I think it looks neat. The problem is, once you get closer, it's painfully obvious that it's a cheap, off the shelf coaster with theming built around it. If they did a better job of integrating the theming and the coaster, it would have looked a lot better.

MerlinTheGoat

Never rode the Indy coaster but I did see it when I visited DLP. It looked kind of nice but even without riding it was easy to tell it was an incredibly cheap and short filler type ride. One of the few things at DLP that actually feels that way in fact.

I don't think an Indiana Jones coaster is a bad idea though, far from it. Done right it can be amazing. Just look at the best scene (IMO) in Temple of Doom- the mine car chase. Heck it might be interesting if they mixed a more thrilling BTM/Everest coaster design with the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train swaying mine cars. Runaway mine car rides seem to be always popular ideas in movies, video games, theme park rides, etc. There's just something about them that excites people (me included).

I'm a big fan of the Indiana Jones Lost Expedition ride complex that was planned for California but downsized. It looks like they actually had plans to build both the EMV ride AND a mine coaster in there-
http://www.theneverlandfiles.com/tnf/disneyland/indianajonesandthelostexpedition.php
http://www.theneverlandfiles.com/tnf/images/indianajonesandthelostexpedition1.jpg

Love how 4 different attractions intertwine inside that giant complex, including the EMV, coaster, Jungle Cruise, and the train. With a good enough budget it would be a great idea to revive that idea for Hollywood Studios as part of a Lucasland expansion. And yes I know this will never happen, it just should happen. They could even do an Indy flume-type ride in place of where Jungle Cruise was supposed to be (would be Hollywood Studios' first water based ride too).

And the EMV wouldn't have to be a direct clone of the ride at Disneyland either. Same ride system and concept but with a different storyline and scenic design. There was an old Lucasarts point and click adventure game on PC called Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. It would be cool to see them try their hands out at a journey into Atlantis with Indy.

Speaking of old Lucasarts point and click games, I wonder if Monkey Island will ever be revived in some form. Those would make an interesting attraction (though it takes a lot of inspiration from POTC).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom