DHS CARS LAND

MerlinTheGoat

I'll take fewer thrills with tons of detail (ala Big Thunder) over all thrills with no theming at all any day. I've never been a fan of Six Flags or carnival attractions for exactly this reason. Problem is that Disney has pulled this themselves in the somewhat recent past with Screamin as well as Dinorama (the latter of which doesn't even have any thrills).

I'd personally take an incredibly detailed ride like Horizons or Pirates of the Caribbean over a relatively unthemed roller coaster. Having both a coaster and a ton of theming is good though. But at this point i'd say both Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom for example need more rides that everyone can have fun with and aren't alienating to people who don't like (or can't ride) thrill rides (one reason i'm interested in that proposed boat ride). Radiator Springs Racers at least shouldn't be a problem. It's a more tame but far better themed Test Track ride system.

My mother for example is getting older and can't ride many of the more thrilling rides due to both fear and health. So rides like Tower of Terror are out, and she even felt ill when riding Everest. The most thrilling rides she can do are Splash Mountain and Big Thunder. It's very important to have a balance of rides so you don't alienate people. Epcot for example has tipped that balance by replacing rides like Horizons and World of Motion with ones that aren't nearly as well designed from themeing perspective and are more polarizing due to some people not being able to ride them. Mom has somewhat fallen out of love with Epcot (her favorite park on earth) because not only of the removal of rides she loved, but the replacement with rides she can't even go on.

BryceM

Completely disagree. Hulk is an eyesore. Total lack of theming except that it is green. The whole thing is entirely exposed track. What about this ride is well themed in your opinion?
Hulk has to be one the most visually stunning and well known roller coaster in the world. Exposed track is not a bad thing, and is truly beautiful with how it interacts with the lake, Marvel Superhero Island and the Gamma tube. Heck, the ride even has a story.

Like previously stated, not every ride needs to be completely enclosed to be well themed or attractive. Personally, I love roller coasters and Hulk is just beautiful. I could watch it blast it out of the Gamma tube and swoop into that massive cobra roll over the lake and dive under the mist filled tunnel all day long.

td1129

Hulk has to be one the most visually stunning and well known roller coaster in the world. Exposed track is not a bad thing, and is truly beautiful with how it interacts with the lake, Marvel Superhero Island and the Gamma tube. Heck, the ride even has a story.

Like previously stated, not every ride needs to be completely enclosed to be well themed or attractive. Personally, I love roller coasters and Hulk is just beautiful. I could watch it blast it out of the Gamma tube and swoop into that massive cobra roll over the lake and dive under the mist filled tunnel all day long.

I respect that. Just doesn't do it for me.

Adam5897

I would rather have an excellent themed coasters like Everest then a plain coaster with thrills.

So with avatar possibly getting the green light again...does this mean DHS expansion is put on hold?

So would I. I neversaid that i would rather have a full out thrilling coaster with no theming. I was simply saying that even though disney thrill rides aren't the most thrilling the theming makes up for it.

BryceM

So would I. I neversaid that i would rather have a full out thrilling coaster with no theming. I was simply saying that even though disney thrill rides aren't the most thrilling the theming makes up for it.
Space Mountain is the most thrilling ride for me at WDW... it's so intense, old and crazy. But man, I love it.

Spike-in-Berlin

One of my greatest wishes for WDW is to make this sort of addition to the MK. Using the Indy Jones attraction initially conceived for DL as inspiration, I'd love to see Disney add a mountain to Advertureland that included these rides and had the railroad and Jungle Cruise running through it.

We won't see the Jungle Cruise because the distance between the JC area and the proposed location of Fire Mountain or whatever they build there, is too large to include the JC, it would have to be expanded far beyond it's present area.

Spike-in-Berlin

I know, The Jungle Book would make a great dark ride! The best parts of that movie were the characters and the songs. For that reason, I think it would translate well to the dark ride medium; there's plenty of material for animated figures and sight gags that the Imagineers would be able to create a ride that didn't suffer from the "book report syndrome" like The Seas with Nemo & Friends.

This is just a daydream of mine, but if WDI could convincingly recreate Colonel Hathi's elephant patrol in animatronic form as part of a Jungle Book ride, I would be very impressed and enchanted.

I don't think it will come ever. The Jungle Book has left surprisingly few traces in the Disney Parks, no attractions, not involved in parades or fireworks (at least I don't know any), I also don't remember have seen any characters at M+Gs. Or does any one know examples? The only trace I remember is the closed "Colonel Hathis" restaurant in AL. Perhaps it's because the movie was more successful in Europe that in the US?

Spike-in-Berlin

I would rather have an excellent themed coasters like Everest then a plain coaster with thrills.

So with avatar possibly getting the green light again...does this mean DHS expansion is put on hold?

TDO would be insane if they did...but they are TDO so perhaps that's exactly what they do, remember the nightmarish original "Princesses and Pixies Paradise" design for FLE? Which even had to be forced on TDO. How depressing lame it was before they changed it? DCAs Cars Land is a merchandise paradise, they sell it faster than the stock's are refilled.
What huge merchandising opportunities offers Avatar so far? I still think Disney overestimates the impact Avatar had on pop culture. It's not even half as significant as the one of Cars, not to mention Harry Potter. And I am quite sure that Avatarland will not be enough to compete with WWoHP, especially after the expansion. I don't understand why they did not build a huge Star Wars Land in DHS years ago. If there is a pop culture franchise that has the potential to counter WWoHP it's Star Wars (or Lord of the Rings) not Avatar. WE have to face it:
TDO totally underestimated the impact of WWoHP, another example of their petty performance and incompetence, otherwise they would have build something to counter HP the moment Universal announced the project. And I have my doubts that Avatarland will be the wonder weapon against Potter. Cars Land however could be exactly that (only as a full size land, not as a mere ride.)
Cars Land in DHS would also be a license for printing money. Sad that it's a major concern, but that's how the managers at Disney think today. Walt would have built it for the fun of it.

Next Big Thing

Yes, because only very small children enjoy Pirates and Haunted Mansion. Everyone knows that once you hit 10, you just wants to ride coasters.

I enjoy thrill rides. We have a very nice coaster park for which I have a season pass that costs far less than the cost of one day at a Disney park. Point being, I can ride thrill rides at home for a fraction of the cost.

When Disney can successfully marry theme and thrills like Tower of Terror, I am game. But generally speaking, that means sacrificing a bit on the coaster-type thrills. Which is a trade-off I am willing to make. It's the immersion that makes Disney worth travelling to. I've got size and speed in my own backyard, thanks.
Not everyone lives in your backyard

lebeau

Not everyone lives in your backyard

True. But most have a coaster park within a reasonable driving distance. And those who don't can still save a lot of money traveling to a coaster park if thrills and coasters are their thing.

Bottom line: People go to Disney for experiences they can't have at Six Flags, Cedar Fair, etc.

lebeau

I don't think it will come ever. The Jungle Book has left surprisingly few traces in the Disney Parks, no attractions, not involved in parades or fireworks (at least I don't know any), I also don't remember have seen any characters at M+Gs. Or does any one know examples? The only trace I remember is the closed "Colonel Hathis" restaurant in AL. Perhaps it's because the movie was more successful in Europe that in the US?

Yeah, I know it won't ever happen. But it's a terrible missed opportunity. DAK needs a dark ride. Jungle Book would be a perfect fit both for the park and as a candidate for the dark ride treatment.

Unfortunately, most kids today aren't familiar with it. The classics just don't have the same popularity these days. Which is a shame in my book.

Disneyhead'71

I like the attitude that since we like more exciting attractions, Six Flags is good enough for us. Thrill ride fans don't deserve Disney Quality offerings?

lebeau

I like the attitude that since we like more exciting attractions, Six Flags is good enough for us. Thrill ride fans don't deserve Disney Quality offerings?

Don't you already have them?

I don't get this attitude that Disney needs to change the kinds of attraction they build to line up with what is offered at coaster parks everywhere.

Disneyhead'71

Don't you already have them?

I don't get this attitude that Disney needs to change the kinds of attraction they build to line up with what is offered at coaster parks everywhere.
Which traditional amusement parks are offering Disney Quality attractions?

And Disney doesn't NEED to build more thrilling attractions. But they will get a lot more of my money if they do.

lebeau

Which traditional amusement parks are offering Disney Quality attractions?

And Disney doesn't NEED to build more thrilling attractions. But they will get a lot more of my money if they do.

They have thrill rides in Disney parks that are Disney Quality attractions. Enjoy.

If you are arguing that Disney should build more attractions like the thrill rides it already has, I agree. If you're arguing that they need to build something on a higher thrill scale than what currently exists, why?

Disneyhead'71

No, just more. ToT is one of my favorite attractions on the planet. Basically Disney needs to build more of everything, but since they only add something like one major attraction once every ten years or so and we just got a bunch of Princess crap I am thinking that the next real chance at getting anything that interests anyone out of diapers is way off on the future.

And why would you guys hate if Disney offered an extreme thill experience IF they themed it to the nines? I have come up with an extreme coaster experience that is themed to the level that Disney fans expect, but I am pretty sure you guys wouldn't want it in "your" parks.

Spike-in-Berlin

They have thrill rides in Disney parks that are Disney Quality attractions. Enjoy.

If you are arguing that Disney should build more attractions like the thrill rides it already has, I agree. If you're arguing that they need to build something on a higher thrill scale than what currently exists, why?

Well, my favorite unbuild attraction (but here's still hoping) is Fire Mountain and Fire Mountain would definitely be a thrill ride on a new level, more thrilling than any other rides at WDW, a morphing coaster but it would also be heavily themed, located inside an active volcano. So I don't exactly despise new thrills or even a little stronger thrills as long as they are heavily themed with the usual Disney quality. But I don't need rides that are extreme fast or extreme in any other kind, I leave that to amusement parks and I don't want it in WDW.

Disneyhead'71

Well, my favorite unbuild attraction (but here's hoping) is Fire Mountain and Fire Mountain would definitely be a thrill ride on a new level, more thrilling than any other rides at WDW, a morphing coaster but it would also be heavily themed, located inside an active volcano. So I don't exactly despise new thrills or even a little stronger thrills as long as they are heavily themed with the usual Disney quality. But I don't need rides that are extreme fast or extreme in any other kind, I leave that to amusement parks and I don't want it in WDW.

Disney Parks are Amusement Parks. And why don't you want it at WDW. I mean, you can always walk by it without hopping in the queue. Just like me not queing up for Storytime With Belle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom