DHS Aerial View

beachlover4444

What buildings are you talking about? If it is this picture....

Those are the same buildings that have been there since they opened up. The building on the Right contains TSM and were originally sound stages when they opened up.

The one on the left is the original building for the Great Movie Ride. It is the same size as it always was and will house the new Mickey Mouse Runaway Train.
No I am talking about all those new construction buildings in the land with all that scaffolding around them. I am all about wow it's gonna look amazing but 1 ride. I dont go there to just shop and dine and ooh and ahh about the scenery. When it all comes down to it people come to the park to ride and 1 ride doesnt cut it for me in a Land that is that big.

Goofyernmost

No I am talking about all those new construction buildings in the land with all that scaffolding around them. I am all about wow it's gonna look amazing but 1 ride. I dont go there to just shop and dine and ooh and ahh about the scenery. When it all comes down to it people come to the park to ride and 1 ride doesnt cut it for me in a Land that is that big.
There are two attractions in there and those are the big buildings, all the rest are shops and misc. food and drink places and are also a huge part of the theming that makes it an immersive land.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is it just me or does it seem like those are some really HUGE buildings and structures for 1 ride so the rest is gonna be shopping and dining. Sorry but that is so disappointing to me. That much money spent should have gotten more than 1 attraction in there, they could have come up with something for the smaller kiddos in there to ride while the moms and dads are on the "big kid" rides so gramma and grandpa stuck sitting there for hours arent dealing with hot whining kids. Something to climb on or some Ewok twirlie ride would have been nice.

Battle Escape takes up as much acreage as Space Mountain. Falcon as much as The Great Movie Ride. Would you have advocated for either of those rides to be torn down for more, smaller rides?

S 2

I have three words for you: Toy Story Land, Now open. Plus I imagine even the lines will be cool to older and younger guests who choose not to ride the ride. Also Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway coming soon. I mean every ride can't be for little kids...

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Couple of things here...
SW:GE is based on full immersion.
Yes there are two rides, by most reports those rides will be true "E" ticket.

However, what does not get accounted for is all the extra nuances that you are getting with the bazaar, the restaurants and all to make it a true star wars appeal. You have to take space to build those key features, and then space to separate from the rest of the park to keep the clean immersion. So is it a lot of space being used...sure - but I think once the final product is ready you will enjoy what you see.

Also keep in mind I am NOT a Star wars fan...so I am not hankering all that much to go into this...other than to ride the rides :D

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Star Wars fans kept a massive online roleplaying game going for a long time with minor crafting tasks and hanging out in the cantina as the main draw for a huge number of players.

Without the two rides, a Star Wars land with just the shops and restaurants and light entertainment would be sufficient to draw huge crowds.

Last edited:

britain

Star Wars fans kept a massive online roleplaying game going for a long time with minor crafting tasks and hanging out in the cantina as the main draw for a huge number of players.

Without the two rides, a Star Wars land with just the shops and restaurants and light entertainment would be sufficient to draw huge crowds.

Heck, I was excited when the plan was simply to put the Millennium Falcon on top of the old Rocket Jet platform at Disneyland's Tomorrowland! How that would have altered the nature of Tomorrowland is debatable, but I just wanted to walk under a life-size real Falcon.

To be able to do that AND FLY IT, AND SO MUCH MORE!? Wildest dreams, right here.

The Empress Lilly

Brilliant memories.

And there's also Horizons looming way off in the distance.

I need a moment.
What I wouldn't give to walk in that picture. Walk from classic DHS to FW. Two of the greatest areas ever, and two of WDW's most disappeared areas.

e8720ad9e8d84475929d6175fff090a9.jpg

PizzaPlanet

It certainly didn’t. For many reasons, some of which dictated the direction the park took.
Yeah, a tour through empty soundstages is no fun. But I can't help but feel they could have done a lot with the backlot tour despite the fact that there was no filming going on. There are so many missed opportunities, especially when you look at how Universal has updated its tram tour in Hollywood over the years. The fact that the backlot tour remained in the same outdated form for so long is ridiculous.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yeah, a tour through empty soundstages is no fun. But I can't help but feel they could have done a lot with the backlot tour despite the fact that there was no filming going on. There are so many missed opportunities, especially when you look at how Universal has updated its tram tour in Hollywood over the years. The fact that the backlot tour remained in the same outdated form for so long is ridiculous.
As the shooting side didn’t develop as they hoped (tax, money, reluctance for talent to travel) the park was crying out for more room. And so the theme park side began to encroach towards the shooting side within 18 months.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
I think many of us need a moment... I could stare at that picture for hours.

And what is the cluster of buildings in the upper right-hand corner? I want to say some of CBR but it doesn't "feel right" to me.

Yes, that would be Caribbean Beach Resort. It opened one year before Disney/MGM opened. The Swan and Dolphin opened one year after MGM. (Under construction in this pic.) We wouldn't see the Boardwalk Inn open until 6 years after that.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yes, that would be Caribbean Beach Resort. It opened one year before Disney/MGM opened. The Swan and Dolphin opened one year after MGM. (Under construction in this pic.) We wouldn't see the Boardwalk Inn open until 6 years after that.

Thanks! I did a little map research and you're absolutely correct. The roofs that can be seen would be the east side of CBR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom