DHS Aerial View

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Having worked in the park and knowing the potential for the Echo lake area, I strongly have to disagree with you. Placing SWL in and around Echo lake would have given a much needed boost to an otherwise fairly dead area and allowed them to replace the aging and extremely expensive to run Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular as well as turn Backlot express into an amazing cantina themed quick serve during the day with table service at night similar to Be our guest. Additionally this would have left Streets of America and Lights motors Action available for other large projects while still keeping Star Tours inside the Star wars themed area while also giving it a much needed facade upgrade.

The problem is, the SWL that was going to go around Echo lake was no ware near as ambitious as what is being built.

DocMcHulk

Would the two lands look alike if the DHS project went into the Echo Lake area as previously planned but then got fast tracked to its current location? Another thing I hear people makes statements about SWL is they should get rid of The Muppets.
Both lands will be amazing. It would give you an excuse to visit both lands if they aren’t identical

The Echo Lake version was a DHS exclusive.

Was this when Disneyland was going to get a Star Wars-inspired Tomorrowland redo?

Why have one Star Wars land when you have have 2 for twice the price!

UpAllNight

So I’m guessing the plot to the left of GE will be for expansion? Looks quite sizeable, I think they could comfortably fit another 2 big attractions in there.

UpAllNight

Which left?

Looking head on with Toy Story Land in the Distance and Indiana Jones/Parking to the right. There’s currently what looks like an old used green building there and some on site works.

I think it’s left of the main Battle attraction, but wasn’t sure how the hotel fits in to all of this.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Looking head on with Toy Story Land in the Distance and Indiana Jones/Parking to the right. There’s currently what looks like an old used green building there and some on site works.

I think it’s left of the main Battle attraction, but wasn’t sure how the hotel fits in to all of this.
If its this area

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/attachments/swl-jpg.241521/

the lower green building is the new back of house SWL office complex. The upper green building is the maintenance base building and adjacent to that is a new electrical cart service building too. They aren’t going anywhere for the foreseeable.

UpAllNight

If its this area

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/attachments/swl-jpg.241521/

the lower green building is the new back of house SWL office complex. The upper green building is the maintenance base building and adjacent to that is a new electrical cart service building too. They aren’t going anywhere for the foreseeable.

Seems like things that could be maybe relocated in future to provide options though?

Looking at these helicopter shots makes me realise how much space the park actually has...criminal it’s ever got to the position where they’re having to shutter huge areas to make way for new things.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Seems like things that could be maybe relocated in future to provide options though?

Looking at these helicopter shots makes me realise how much space the park actually has...criminal it’s ever got to the position where they’re having to shutter huge areas to make way for new things.

They are simple buildings so they could be relocated in the future, but as Martin points out, most were just built so they clearly don't have imminent plans for that area, either that or poor planning decisions were made.

Yeah, it's pretty clear that the closing of old attractions is really because they need the space. This isn't always a bad thing. Backlot Tour really didn't fit with the new direction of the park and it could be argued that that space it took up can be put to better use.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Both Back Lot Tour and the car stunt show were past their prime (IMO). The Streets of America were sorta neat, but not really an attraction (Hey, Mom! Can we go back to Disney to see the fake city streets!!!). I can see the disappointment in losing the HIStK playground and am a bit surprised a new, similar playground wasn't put into the new TSL. But other than that, the two fading attractions are being replaced by four new ones, two of them E-Tickets. Also, a lot of true back lot space was taken over to expand the footprint of the park as a whole (R.I.P. Earful Tower). The SW Resort will also sort of officially expand the footprint of the park.

And if this all goes well... it will be the incentive to raze more of the back lot to make DHS a true hub park.

UpAllNight

They are simple buildings so they could be relocated in the future, but as Martin points out, most were just built so they clearly don't have imminent plans for that area, either that or poor planning decisions were made.

Yeah, it's pretty clear that the closing of old attractions is really because they need the space. This isn't always a bad thing. Backlot Tour really didn't fit with the new direction of the park and it could be argued that that space it took up can be put to better use.

I agree with all of this, but I actually think the Park has more land than I imagined. I think they could have utilised some of the space available more effectively before shutting huge areas off for redevelopment...not that I’ll argue redevelopment was needed for the areas that closed.

In both 2015 & 2017 when I’ve visited I’ve found the Studios to be a terrible experience (despite it having some fantastic highlights)...frustrating and avoidable situation.

UpAllNight

Both Back Lot Tour and the car stunt show were past their prime (IMO). The Streets of America were sorta neat, but not really an attraction (Hey, Mom! Can we go back to Disney to see the fake city streets!!!). I can see the disappointment in losing the HIStK playground and am a bit surprised a new, similar playground wasn't put into the new TSL. But other than that, the two fading attractions are being replaced by four new ones, two of them E-Tickets. Also, a lot of true back lot space was taken over to expand the footprint of the park as a whole (R.I.P. Earful Tower). The SW Resort will also sort of officially expand the footprint of the park.

And if this all goes well... it will be the incentive to raze more of the back lot to make DHS a true hub park.

I agree about the closed areas being passed their best and in need of a rethink...it’s just unfortunate for anyone who’s had to endure DHS over the past several years. Especially the poor people who work at guest relations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom