DHS Aerial View

BrianLo

The plot of land in DHS they most ideally had to work with was a different shape than the plot of ideal space they had to work with in DL. Both had attraction or back of house limitations that Disney did not feel the need to move to carve out an identical 14 acres.

However, the why is that a product was developed for DL infrastructure and adapted to DHS, not the other way around. Both should have products made for their shape and not for another park... which they did at least. No Flying Unicorns allowed.

I love that this topic is so needlessly inflammatory!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
The plot of land in DHS they most ideally had to work with was a different shape than the plot of ideal space they had to work with in DL. Both had attraction or back of house limitations that Disney did not feel the need to move to carve out an identical 14 acres.

However, the why is that a product was developed for DL infrastructure and adapted to DHS, not the other way around. Both should have products made for their shape and not for another park... which they did at least. No Flying Unicorns allowed.

I love that this topic is so needlessly inflammatory!

This topic is in no way inflammatory..... unless DL's Star Wars Land is bigger. ;)

No Name

I love how you presume the use of that space wasn't concidered and then quickly dismissed. One building you circled (the larger one) is home to maintence base which is an internal communications hub for not only DHS but the entire 42sq miles of WDW. It kind of looks like a 911 call center inside to give you a visual. The cost and time it would take to relocate that building and all of the communication cables that go to it would be enormous and there would be very little gained from the move. Additionally there will be plenty of acrage south of the current plot once the parking reconfiguration is complete so you are quite literally complaining for no reasonable reason.

I think you missed the argument. I understand it would not be easy to relocate. Although it's probably easier than shortening a river and moving even more backstage facilities ;). But even without relocating, there's a small amount of space between the berm and that building. There's also space in front, and as you say, there'll be space behind. The only place there is no extra room is on the Grand Avenue side. People are pointing to that single area vs. the comparable area in DL as clear-cut "evidence" that the land is gasping for space in DHS, but has the blessing of size in DL!

I don't really care about the difference at all, I'm just complaining about people making laughable conclusions.

PS. would relocating those buildings

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

I think you missed the argument. Okay, I understand it would not be easy to relocate, but even without, there's a small amount of space between the berm and that building. There's also space in front, and as you say, there'll be space behind. The only place there is no extra room is on the Grand Avenue side. People are pointing to that single area vs. the comparable area in DL as clear-cut "evidence" that the land is gasping for space in DHS, but has the blessing of size in DL!

I don't really care about the difference at all, I'm just complaining about people making laughable conclusions.
Would the two lands look alike if the DHS project went into the Echo Lake area as previously planned but then got fast tracked to its current location? Another thing I hear people makes statements about SWL is they should get rid of The Muppets.
Both lands will be amazing. It would give you an excuse to visit both lands if they aren’t identical

Kman101

And I'm glad our DHS exclusive land was axed and we are getting the land we're getting. I didn't want to see Echo Lake used for SWL. But I personally would have preferred seeing SWL go into the parking lot instead and we get Cars Land where Lights Motors Action was but oh well.

AKL2003

And I'm glad our DHS exclusive land was axed and we are getting the land we're getting. I didn't want to see Echo Lake used for SWL. But I personally would have preferred seeing SWL go into the parking lot instead and we get Cars Land where Lights Motors Action was but oh well.
I agree!! However, i still hold out hope for something great to happen in animation courtyard AND some expansion of Indy...a girl can dream, right??

KrazyKat

I was so hoping for cars land at DHS also myself after seeing it in person last year at DCA.

roj2323

And I'm glad our DHS exclusive land was axed and we are getting the land we're getting.

Having worked in the park and knowing the potential for the Echo lake area, I strongly have to disagree with you. Placing SWL in and around Echo lake would have given a much needed boost to an otherwise fairly dead area and allowed them to replace the aging and extremely expensive to run Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular as well as turn Backlot express into an amazing cantina themed quick serve during the day with table service at night similar to Be our guest. Additionally this would have left Streets of America and Lights motors Action available for other large projects while still keeping Star Tours inside the Star wars themed area while also giving it a much needed facade upgrade.

Kman101

Or they could have replaced Indy and expanded into the parking lot, still using Backlot Express and it would put it right next door to Star Tours. It would save Echo Lake, it would have left the Streets for other projects (Cars Land and Monstropolis, with Toy Story Land still going behind Mania). I wish they had gone this route.

Echo Lake is atmosphere. It has a couple of popular restaurants and I wouldn't want to see the lake paved over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom