Desperate desprate disney

fizzle75

Haven't you heard? the first rule of Advertising 101 is Never mention your competition! :lol:

I kid. I kid because I love. Honestly, Disney is in such a position of strength, they don't really need to mention the competition. What you may notice (if not with their current campaign, then perhaps one day) is a dinstinct NON-mentioning of the competition. Something like "Everything you want, and everything you need in your vacation, at the most magical palce on Earth!" That sort of thing. It lets you know you don't have to go to UO or Sea World or Busch or anywhere else, they've got you covered, without actually mentioning the competition by name.

As far as UO mentioning WDW goes, UO is far enough behind WDW in terms of attendance levels that they find a benefit in the comparision. They're implying that with a UO-based vacation, you're getting more for less. Some people feel it's foolish to mention the competition. My take is, WDW is the 800 pound gorilla in the room. You can't NOT notice it. UO is the closest competitor to WDW in terms of scale and scope (again, they're not nearly as big, just the biggest out of any other non-WDW theme park in the Orlando area). They can pretend WDW doesn't exist in their marketing, but as some threads in this forum can attest, there are plenty of passive tourists who don't even realize WDW & UO are competitors. They look for ET in the Magic Kingdom, and Shrek in The Disney Studios. They arrive at one park with a ticket for the other, assuming they can park hop from WDW to UO. Not everyone cares for the WDW or theme park experience as much as people on these boards, they just want a good time out of their vacation. It's their fault for not being educated about what they're getting out of their vacation dollar, but it's gotta suck to be a UO employee telling a family of 6 that their WDW passes won't get them in, or the Disney resort guests who knows the Jurassic Park raft ride used to be right over here where this Dinosaur ride is, they must've got rid of it.

So Universal tackles the issue by direct comparison- in their marketing, they offer a comparable experience (if not a better one) for far less money. Not only do they establish themselves as a different entity, they (attempt to) establish themselves as the better value.

Yeah,I couldn't help but laugh the other day when I saw someone's vacation video on YouTube titled "Our vacation to Disney's Sea World".:ROFLOL:

perculata

Not grapsing at straws at all. I started my rant because some people on the board seem to think WDW only offers special promotions and contest because they luuuuuuuuuv us. I'm just doing my part to dissuade them from that notion. Disney luuuuuuuvs our money. IMHO, they certainly make a better product than the competition, which is why their attendance numbers are so much higher than even the nearest competition, and they understand how important a superior product is, but they'd certainly rather not have ANY competition at all. And the deals and the contests and the marketing all reflect that desire to keep you from ever setting foot off property. Therefore, in my estimation, there is a degree of desperation in Disney's long-term plan. It's just that it's a self-imposed desperation, one borne of wanting and not of needing. Just like any individual with a driven, type-A personality. They can have everything they need, everything they want, but they even want stuff they don't want. And if you're in the way, they don't just want more than you, they want you to have none of it.

I don't see anything desperate about the way Disney views their competition. They take measures to ensure that they remain popular, but if they were so desperate, wouldnt' they do everything in their power to ensure Universal is inferior to them? If that's the case, then why did Disney wait so long to develop their supposed response to Spiderman. If Disney were desperate to eradicate Universal, then why would they allow them to have the most technically advanced ride in Orlando for so long?

If disney were desperate to have the best product then why would they let their signature rides in MK fall into disrepair? Why would they allow Universal to secure rights to Harry potter, the most popular book series?

It seems that Disney has a desire to remain number one, but nothing about that desire is desperate. If they were desperate to be the best then rides like Stitch's great escape and Laugh Floor wouldn't be produced.

slappy magoo

I don't see anything desperate about the way Disney views their competition. They take measures to ensure that they remain popular, but if they were so desperate, wouldnt' they do everything in their power to ensure Universal is inferior to them? If that's the case, then why did Disney wait so long to develop their supposed response to Spiderman. If Disney were desperate to eradicate Universal, then why would they allow them to have the most technically advanced ride in Orlando for so long?

If disney were desperate to have the best product then why would they let their signature rides in MK fall into disrepair? Why would they allow Universal to secure rights to Harry potter, the most popular book series?

Off hand, without being in-the-know, I'd guess that, before they started spending money developing a ride to compete with Spiderman, they'd want to have a "game plan" that would waste as little money as possible. And unless something were announced today, it's still just a rumor that UO has Harry Potter. But THAT could be because Disney just didn't negotiate the best deal with JKR and/or Scholastic and/or Warner Brothers. Disney likes to maintain a lot of control over all of their work. Same with JKR & Warner Brothers. Universal may have been willing to cede a lot of control (AND pay even mroe money) just for the rights to the franchise. Seems strange, but that does happen. The now-defunct Tom Cruise/Paramount deal is a fine example, or even the LucasFilm/20th. Century Fox deal. Those studios were willing to give up some or all creative control in exchange for distributing what seemed to be bona fide cash cows. But Disney likes control, as evidenced by all the problems they had renegotiating with Pixar before Disney wised up, bought Pixar and gave Lasseter more of a free rein. But just because they wised up that time, doesn't mean they wised up on Harry Potter.

It seems that Disney has a desire to remain number one, but nothing about that desire is desperate. If they were desperate to be the best then rides like Stitch's great escape and Laugh Floor wouldn't be produced.

Steven Spielberg has 1941 on his resume. Sometimes things that seem like a good idea when you're surrounded by marketing types and sycophants turn out to buh-low.

perculata

Off hand, without being in-the-know, I'd guess that, before they started spending money developing a ride to compete with Spiderman, they'd want to have a "game plan" that would waste as little money as possible. And unless something were announced today, it's still just a rumor that UO has Harry Potter. But THAT could be because Disney just didn't negotiate the best deal with JKR and/or Scholastic and/or Warner Brothers. Disney likes to maintain a lot of control over all of their work. Same with JKR & Warner Brothers. Universal may have been willing to cede a lot of control (AND pay even mroe money) just for the rights to the franchise. Seems strange, but that does happen. The now-defunct Tom Cruise/Paramount deal is a fine example, or even the LucasFilm/20th. Century Fox deal. Those studios were willing to give up some or all creative control in exchange for distributing what seemed to be bona fide cash cows. But Disney likes control, as evidenced by all the problems they had renegotiating with Pixar before Disney wised up, bought Pixar and gave Lasseter more of a free rein. But just because they wised up that time, doesn't mean they wised up on Harry Potter.

Steven Spielberg has 1941 on his resume. Sometimes things that seem like a good idea when you're surrounded by marketing types and sycophants turn out to buh-low.

O i understand that deals fall through. I was just saying that if Disney is as desperate as you make them out to be then they would've done more to secure Harry Potter. Not necessarily because they need him, but because, if they are so desperate to be number one, they would need to keep something that big away from the competition.

The state of the Magic Kingdom is another sign that they are by no means desperate. If they were desperate to be number 1 then they wouldn't have allowed the haunted mansion, pirates of the carribean, space mountain or other classic attractions to deteriorate into their current states.

I can see why you say their keen on being number one, but in no sense are they desperate.

Xadllas

Only problem I have with Universal right now is the way they close their parks..
They basically say the park is closed get out and shut off the music, close the stores etc. While at Disney they let you take your time and keep the music on and leave at least some stores open sometimes even restaurants (at Epcot).

For all those marketing 101 gurus... How does one explain the Apple vs Windows ads? Windows clearly has the market dominance... yet Apple tried to directly compare to them... Hmmm.... Is Apple stupid? Or could it be that there is no right or wrong cast in stone rule about when someone should do comparative advertising.

slappy magoo

The state of the Magic Kingdom is another sign that they are by no means desperate. If they were desperate to be number 1 then they wouldn't have allowed the haunted mansion, pirates of the carribean, space mountain or other classic attractions to deteriorate into their current states.

I can see why you say their keen on being number one, but in no sense are they desperate.

Letting rides deteriorate is kind of a catch-22. All the rides you mention has diehard fans who'd be miserable if they were to close, maybe even rearrange their vacation plans. But meanwhile, everyone notices the cracks in the paint and the inoperative AAs.

Putting off repairs not only allows them to really shore up their plans, to keep the ride offline as little as possible, but with so much information available on the internet, they'll even get the diehard fans to move their vacations UP to ride their fave one more time, as well as get back to the parks as soon as it reopens.

And finally, I won't bore anyone by repeating myself yet again. All I'm saying is that there's a difference between physical (or financial) desperation, and emotional, self-imposed desperation. I don't believe UO is completely financially desperate-the low-price promotion is an experiment to bring in Disney guests who might not otherwise go, and enough of them would offset the less money they're getting from people who would've paid full-pop. But I also believe Disney has a goal to not only remain the number one tourist destination in Orlando/Florida/the country/the world, but to neutralize the competition. It's the theme-park equivalent of Vice President D!(k Cheney's One-Percent Solution-sure, nobody's really a threat NOW, but why give them the opportunity toeven ever become a threat? Quash them now, no worries later. THAT'S what I mean by Disney being desperate. I know they're in no financial pain, but they do have an aggressive agenda that includes keeping tourists onsite, and crippling the competition even more than they currently do.

DisneyMusician2

I completely agree. Many posts complain about rides being down during vacation times, yet they also complain when DIsney lets something go and does not repair it right away. Can't really have it both ways. Major rehabs are easier for Disney to undertake than constantly maintaining every ride to perfection. I just wish they would do some more major stuff more often.

maryszhi

i dont think their that des.

I dont think disney's that des. I mean I remember a few years ago about how disney was going down the tubes and had to change things. If they survived that, i think they will be fine. Trust me All the parks will be around forever, i mean their a staple in pop culture. Families have gone their for generations, and keep the tradition alive.

~ when you wish upon a star~

wedway71

I completely agree. Many posts complain about rides being down during vacation times, yet they also complain when DIsney lets something go and does not repair it right away. Can't really have it both ways. Major rehabs are easier for Disney to undertake than constantly maintaining every ride to perfection. I just wish they would do some more major stuff more often.

Yep I also agree.People sometimes forget WDW is open everyday of the year and is a 24/7 operation with all of the hotels.WDW is not like the resorts up in the Mountains in Upstate New York lets say that closes every year for 2 or 3 months at a time to do refurbs.

I for one would rather have to be bumbed with an attraction closed while im there knowing Disney is keeping up on attractions.

DisneyChik17

For all those marketing 101 gurus... How does one explain the Apple vs Windows ads? Windows clearly has the market dominance... yet Apple tried to directly compare to them... Hmmm.... Is Apple stupid? Or could it be that there is no right or wrong cast in stone rule about when someone should do comparative advertising.

They are trying to show the downfalls of the PC. Every time PC has a problem, Apple doesn't. It makes sense to me. I love those commercials.

cmatt

They are trying to show the downfalls of the PC. Every time PC has a problem, Apple doesn't. It makes sense to me. I love those commercials.

Oh how you are wrong :zipit: both machines have their pro's and cons - albeit some of apples are microsoft based - but still. :lol:

DisneyChik17

Oh how you are wrong :zipit: both machines have their pro's and cons - albeit some of apples are microsoft based - but still. :lol:

Oh, I know Apples have problems. I have dealt with them before. But you wouldn't advertise all the bad parts of your product to sell, would you?

Also, the suit thing is to show that it isn't stuffy office only computer. I feel that Apple is geared toward college students anyway, but it just shows that a little more. It's also an intimidation thing. Guys in suits are scary, guys in jeans aren't. Jeans are casual and approachable, just like your brand new Apple computer.

With all that said, I LOVE my computer, which is not an Apple. I would not trade this for an Apple, ever.

mickster

Master Yoda was the "marketing guru" who brought this up earlier in this thread. I asked him where he heard that "marketing 101 says you don't mention the competition" or if he just made it up. He responded by altering his statement and saying that he meant to say, "you don't mention your competition if your competition is superior to you." Once again, I asked him where he heard that, or if he was just making it up. He hasn't responded since. I think he knows he's been put in his place.

That's a pet peeve of mine...people making a statement to sound like it's coming from a position of expertise, when they really have no idea what they're talking about. I think some people do that hoping no one will know any better. :brick:

willythelab

Let's review; Pepsi talks about Coke, Miller talks about Bud, Universal Stupidos talks about our beloved Disney! Get the picture! Some may get close, some may try, but none is the king but the king. Except in the auto industry. Won't go there though. Yes Universal-pixie dust is our thing. So is good food, security, friendliness and superior operations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom