Desperate desprate disney

can't we all just get along?

i think that the two places in question have something to offer to just about everyone. many people, myself included have gone down to wdw and taken a day or two to explore universal and ioa. while i of course love wdw, universal parks have their draw as well.

maybe i don't hate or have adverse feelings towards universal because i live in lower michigan and throughout my childhood visited cedar point in ohio. that could be why i can appreciate the thrill ride factor. however, in my oh-so-old age of 29 began developing motion sickness at about 24, so alas i cannot ride many traditional roller coasters anymore:hurl:.

that said, i have visited universal in the past and while i found it enjoyable, i don't think my family and i would make it part of our yearly wdw vacation. i think that the parks are almost an unwitting yin and yang of each other. i just enjoy disney themeing, movies, rides, shows, resorts, atmosphere, etc., etc., more than universal.

Let's all give peace a chance....---hugs a tree---

MickeyTigg

I honestly don't think that the YOMD is going to increase attendance all that much.

Even if attendance does go up, it won't be from YOMD.

mickster

Another lesson from advertising 101 is that you don't mention the competition. Universal has yet to learn this.

Ummmm....I think maybe you'd be well advised to take a basic marketing class. There's no such marketing credo that says you "don't mention the competition". Where on earth did that come from? Did you just make that up and state it here in the hopes that no one would know any better? Or did you hear from someone who knew nothing whatsoever about business and you believed them anyway? :brick:

I think the OP has a good point. I mean, I'm as big a Disney fan as anyone, but I'm not so blind as to automatically think that everything Disney does is right, and everything the competition does is wrong. I remember reading a post on here once where the poster had just visited Knott's Berry Farm and was remarking about how "blatantly" Knott's had "ripped off" Splash Mountain because their log ride was "nearly identical". When another poster pointed out that Knott's Berry Farm's log ride was actually built about 20 years before Splash Mountain, the original poster replied by backsliding and commenting on how Splash Mountain was "an improvement" on Knott's log ride. Now logic would tell you that if you thought two rides were nearly identical and that one had clearly copied the other, it wouldn't matter to you who the company was that did the copying. A rip-off is a rip-off, no matter who does it. But because it was Disney in this case, it suddenly became okay. Likewise, have you ever spent much time reading the posts in the Disneyland section of this message board? There are several ongoing debates in which people are praising California Adventure right and left. That just kills me. DCA is such a clearly sad excuse for a theme park, that if it had been built by anyone other than Disney, there's no doubt in my mind the majority of posters on this site would be bashing it right and left. Half the park is a Six Flags wannabe, and one of the most "exciting" recommendations people often make for DCA are the free slices of tortillas they hand out at the Mission Tortilla Factory. Universal's parks completely blow away DCA...but because they are Universal and not Disney, they get bashed.

Personally I think Universal's parks are great! I actually think their advertisements are a breath of fresh air at times, and I like the fact that they are not identical to Disney's advertising. When they compare themselves to Disney, or even when they take humorous jabs at Disney, I actually think it's kind of funny. And I suppose another thing to keep in mind here is that if their commercials have got us all talking about them, then they've probably done their job. In that sense, if any executives from Universal read these message boards (which I'm sure there probably are some that do), then they're probably the ones getting the last laugh!

executivechef

I agree Mickster. As I'm a member to this board, I am I member to a Universal board too.

Disney has gone up on it's ticket costs 3 times this year and may again. YoMD isn't free we the ticket buyers are paying for those giveaways! If Universal is attacking Disney in an ad it's not directed directly at YOU, it's marking. Don't take this so personal, it's just business folks. It'll go on until Florida is underwater from the caps melting.

Then everyone will complain about how they had to tread water for an hour just to ride Space Mountain.

Guy

DisJosh

I've never been to the Universal parks and quite honestly have no desire to. I tend to refrain from bashing them because I've never experienced them.

Let me just remind you that this IS however a Disney World web site. The majority of us are very loyal to Disney, and a large number of us are quite possibly completely obsessed with the place. If you don't want to see Universal bashing you may want to find a Universal site to join because you'll find the majority of members here are quite biased. :)

You're welcome to your own opinions on Universal vs. WDW here at wdwmagic.com but don't get all flustered when those opinions meet serious oposition. Just take a second and remember what web site you're at! :p

Back on topic...

Not desperate at all IMO. Very smart ad campaign...had me very excited when I heard about it. Disney doesn't need such incentives to get people into the parks though. I think what YOAMD does more than anything is re-enforce the notion that Disney knows how to take care of it's guests...something I think has been lacking in at least the general publics view of Disney for the past few years.

DisJosh

Am I the only one who assumed that the OP had his'her tongue firmly planted in cheek?:shrug:

Sounded more to me like the OP had his/her head up his/her...ummm yeah.

I think the post was more a case of the OP saying "ha! you pick on my park so now I'll pick on yours!" :p

Why should it matter if some of us want to actually take the matter into consideration and discuss it?

sbkline

Let me just remind you that this IS however a Disney World web site. The majority of us are very loyal to Disney, and a large number of us are quite possibly completely obsessed with the place. If you don't want to see Universal bashing you may want to find a Universal site to join because you'll find the majority of members here are quite biased. :)

I'm a WDW fanatic myself and I think that by far, they have a superior product to Universal. However, as I have said, I have been to Universal before and would go again. It is a fun place. Just not as good as Disney.

It's one thing to prefer WDW over Universal. It's one thing to be such a fan of WDW that you join a site devoted to the place. But it's quite another to be an over obsessed, retentive fanboy who puts WDW on such a pedestal that they feel the need to bash any competition and find fault with anything said competition does.

And, if you want the definition of a "fanboy", you can find it here: http://www.flamewarriors.com/warriorshtm/fanboy.htm

Many people here seem to fit the description perfectly. :(

DisJosh

I'm a WDW fanatic myself and I think that by far, they have a superior product to Universal. However, as I have said, I have been to Universal before and would go again. It is a fun place. Just not as good as Disney.

It's one thing to prefer WDW over Universal. It's one thing to be such a fan of WDW that you join a site devoted to the place. But it's quite another to be an over obsessed, retentive fanboy who puts WDW on such a pedestal that they feel the need to bash any competition and find fault with anything said competition does.

And, if you want the definition of a "fanboy", you can find it here: http://www.flamewarriors.com/warriorshtm/fanboy.htm

Many people here seem to fit the description perfectly. :(

I think you can be obsessed without being a fanboy. I spend my free time here and at other disney sites, reading disney and disney related books, dreaming of my next trip... I think I'm obsessed. :) I do however have a love for theme parks in general. I just can't bare to lose precious time I could be spending at WDW by going to Universal. Perhaps if it were in a diferent state I would visit. ;) For me the call of WDW is too great to even spare a thought on Universal.lol

sbkline

I think you can be obsessed without being a fanboy.

Absolutely, I agree.

I spend my free time here and at other disney sites, reading disney and disney related books, dreaming of my next trip... I think I'm obsessed. :) I do however have a love for theme parks in general. I just can't bare to lose precious time I could be spending at WDW by going to Universal. Perhaps if it were in a diferent state I would visit. ;) For me the call of WDW is too great to even spare a thought on Universal.lol

So it looks like you're just a regular WDW obsessive like I am. But from the way you just described yourself, it doesn't sound like you meet the definition of a fanboy. :wave:

More definitions of "fanboy" can be found here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboy&page=3 I found that definition #16 seems to fit to a tee many of the people who post here.

And another definition here, on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanboy

Dangeresque

In response to the desperate universal thread can i just say how desperate disney must be to be giving away prizes to make people come to there parks, that not very good business like is it. year of a million dreams more like we are desperate to get money

From what I've seen latley there are too many people at the parks!

wedway71

I dont think WDW is being desperate in marketing their parks to "remind" the world of their parks.

I think for a long time Disney has been "dammed' if they do and dammed if they dont" on just about every decision they have made.

If they do a huge marketing blitz some say they are desperate but if they do nothing this year some say they are not doing there job and being cheap.

Like if they decide to refurb an attracton some are mad since they cant ride it but on the other side of the coin if they keep the attraction open and not refurb so people are made happy others complain that Disney isnt keeping up their parks.:hammer:

fizzle75

I've never been to the Universal parks and quite honestly have no desire to. I tend to refrain from bashing them because I've never experienced them.

You're welcome to your own opinions on Universal vs. WDW here at wdwmagic.com but don't get all flustered when those opinions meet serious oposition. Just take a second and remember what web site you're at! :p

Back on topic...

Not desperate at all IMO. Very smart ad campaign...had me very excited when I heard about it. Disney doesn't need such incentives to get people into the parks though. I think what YOAMD does more than anything is re-enforce the notion that Disney knows how to take care of it's guests...something I think has been lacking in at least the general publics view of Disney for the past few years.

Amen,Amen,Amen!!! I was just about to say the exact same thing but you beat me to it. Imagine that...a DISNEY WORLD FANSITE full of people who are total Disney nuts and are very passionate in their love for Disney even to the point of DEFENDING the object of their passion against attacks. Ahhh...dare to dream:rolleyes: .

DisneyYorkian74

I know this thread is not really serious but:

I don't see how the world's number one tourist destination could ever be seen as "desperate."

You're just looking at it the wrong way.

Giving away prizes is NOT being desperate IT'S being generous.

wedway71

Amen,Amen,Amen!!! I was just about to say the exact same thing but you beat me to it. Imagine that...a DISNEY WORLD FANSITE full of people who are total Disney nuts and are very passionate in their love for Disney even to the point of DEFENDING the object of their passion against attacks. Ahhh...dare to dream:rolleyes: .

VERY TRUE----
I guess I should take my tshirt off that says

"A BAD DAY AT DISNEY IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT UNIVERSAL":hammer:

sbkline

VERY TRUE----
I guess I should take my tshirt off that says

"A BAD DAY AT DISNEY IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT UNIVERSAL":hammer:

I depends. If you've been to Universal and genuinely didn't care for it and genuinely find Disney to be the superior product and genuinely think that a bad day at WDW is better than a good day at Universal, then by all means, wear the shirt.

But if you haven't ever visited Universal, or if you have and dislike it for no other reason than the fact that it is competition to your beloved Disney, and wear the T-shirt just because you are an overly obsessed mindless, blindly loyal fanboy Disney drone, then yes, quit wearing the darn thing and get a grip on reality, step outside and breath some fresh air, realize that there is much more to life than WDW, and accept that they are both nothing more than vacation destinations that can both be enjoyed on their own merits by the same people.

wedway71

I depends. If you've been to Universal and genuinely didn't care for it and genuinely find Disney to be the superior product and genuinely think that a bad day at WDW is better than a good day at Universal, then by all means, wear the shirt.

But if you haven't ever visited Universal, or if you have and dislike it for no other reason than the fact that it is competition to your beloved Disney, and wear the T-shirt just because you are an overly obsessed mindless, blindly loyal fanboy Disney drone, then yes, quit wearing the darn thing and get a grip on reality, step outside and breath some fresh air, realize that there is much more to life than WDW, and accept that they are both nothing more than vacation destinations that can both be enjoyed on their own merits by the same people.

Well first off I really dont have a tshirt that says that.I was making a joke.

Secondly I dont hate Universal.I have been there many times including the one in California back in the 70s when you got attacked by the CYLONS from Battlestar Gallactica.
I love Disney and yes I am a Disney Freak but have traveled all over the world and do enjoy other places as well.
I actually like Disney having Competition such as Universal.If there wasnt any competition WDW could become complasant(sp?).If time when I go I do Universal and Sea World too.
I think someone can LOVE Disney and not HATE the competition.

DisJosh

Absolutely, I agree.

So it looks like you're just a regular WDW obsessive like I am. But from the way you just described yourself, it doesn't sound like you meet the definition of a fanboy. :wave:

More definitions of "fanboy" can be found here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboy&page=3 I found that definition #16 seems to fit to a tee many of the people who post here.

And another definition here, on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanboy

Ok, I'm drifting off topic now but there's a movie coming out called Fanboys. It's about a group of Star Wars fans trying to steal a copy of Episode I from George Lucas' ranch so they can see it before anyone else. Yes...random...I know. lol Looks like a good movie! :D

mickster

What I had intended to say was don't mention the competition when they are superior to you.

Once again, no such marketing credo. :rolleyes: Site one single marketing textbook or website that suggests this as some sort of established marketing philosophy. If it is your opinion that companies shouldn't advertise in this way, then state it as such. But don't present it as some sort of "lesson from advertising 101" when clearly you have no basic marketing training whatsoever. If you did, you would know this isn't true. You just made it up, and you hoped no one on this site would know any better and that we'd all think you were speaking from some sort of marketing background or education.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom