Desperate desprate disney

mickster

Let's review; Pepsi talks about Coke, Miller talks about Bud, Universal Stupidos talks about our beloved Disney! Get the picture! Some may get close, some may try, but none is the king but the king. Except in the auto industry. Won't go there though. Yes Universal-pixie dust is our thing. So is good food, security, friendliness and superior operations.

VISA (one of the world's most recognized brand names) has also compared themselves to American Express (also one of the world's most recognized brand names, but several notches below VISA). The point is, it works both ways. Comparing your product to the competition does not automatically imply inferiority to the competition. Sometimes it just makes good marketing sense to do so. If your goal is to distinguish your product as being different, then it makes sense. That's precisely what Universal is doing.

Interesting how there are never any Gatorland bashing threads, or Cypress Garden bashing threads. Could it be there of some on here who consider Universal a legitimate threat to Disney?

DisneyChik17

Interesting how there are never any Gatorland bashing threads, or Cypress Garden bashing threads. Could it be there of some on here who consider Universal a legitimate threat to Disney?

Hmmm...I do believe you have stuck gold.

Personally, I love Disney and Universal. They offer different things. I mean, I love my pixie-dust, and I would NEVER go to Universal for it. With that said, I would not go to Disney for my thrills and chills.

I think they go hand in hand really. Some people would never go to Universal with out Disney and vise versa. (Yes, I do know many people who only go to WDW because it's right there when they are at Universal.)

I-4Warrior

You don't find Cypress Gardens or Gatorland bashing threads because Cypress Gardens and Gatorland don't invoke the Disney name during advertising (as far as I know... and even if they did... who would know?). When you're calling out the big name, a name that has a die-hard following, expect there to be a backlash. I really like Universal, but I've always found the "Pixie dust not your thing" b.s. to be hack advertising. It's like their marketing department can't think of ways to sell their own product, so they have to come up with ways to drag a competitors name into it (though this is a fairly common advertising practice, it is always kind of ridiculous when used).

cmatt

Oh, I know Apples have problems. I have dealt with them before. But you wouldn't advertise all the bad parts of your product to sell, would you?

Also, the suit thing is to show that it isn't stuffy office only computer. I feel that Apple is geared toward college students anyway, but it just shows that a little more. It's also an intimidation thing. Guys in suits are scary, guys in jeans aren't. Jeans are casual and approachable, just like your brand new Apple computer.

With all that said, I LOVE my computer, which is not an Apple. I would not trade this for an Apple, ever.

get vista - :wave: its bug ridden, yet still shiney :lol: :D i have it on msdn license via my university.... in the uk - we are all pretty much windows based, macs dont really get a look in....

i prefer linux for programming (fedora 6), as it isnt memory heavy like windoze, and you dont need an uber computer to run it...and i cant be arsed to get things to work with it, that i would use when tinkering on my windows box - which make me procastinate :lookaroun

atm im posting from my ibook - which i only use as a portable dvd player and web browser :eek:

... i just thought you were implying that apple hasnt got any bugs thats all :wave:

mickster

You don't find Cypress Gardens or Gatorland bashing threads because Cypress Gardens and Gatorland don't invoke the Disney name during advertising (as far as I know... and even if they did... who would know?). When you're calling out the big name, a name that has a die-hard following, expect there to be a backlash.

That's not true. I've been watching these message boards for a few years now. Fans on here were bashing Universal before they ran their ads that mention Disney. I don't think that has anything to do with it. It's just an excuse to bash them. I don't think it would upset people so much if it were Gatorland or someone else doing it. People might even think it was cute. But I think the reason people get so upset at Universal doing it is because they know deep down that Universal does pose a bit of a threat to Disney's business. I know a lot of people who think Disney pours it on a bit too much with the pixie dust stuff, and I've had several people tell me they are already sick of that WDW commercial that seems to play 100 times and hour (the one where the parents are looking at the computer and saying they can swing $1600 for a week). Universal offers an alternative for people who want a break from the pixie dust. I personally think it's great. I don't see the problem. It's not like Universal is saying, "Hey we have pixie dust and our's is better. Visit us INSTEAD OF Disney." What I think they're basically saying is, "We offer something different from what you get at Disney so VISIT US TOO if you want an alternative to the pixie dust."

slappy magoo

It's not like Universal is saying, "Hey we have pixie dust and our's is better. Visit us INSTEAD OF Disney." What I think they're basically saying is, "We offer something different from what you get at Disney so VISIT US TOO if you want an alternative to the pixie dust."

And my original point is that the new pricing structure reflects this. Universal could have charged what they have been charging, perhaps even more, and they probably would've made less money, because fewer people would've paid.

Now, to get access to UO and IoA for 5 days is about the price of a park-hopper add-on for WDW, which could potentially bring MORE people into the parks, spending MORE money on souveneirs & meals & overpriced memorable photos. UO KNOWS that someone staying on-site @ Disney is going to spend most, if not all, of their time @ Disney. After all, WDW's ticket structure makes you feel like you're "getting your money's worth" the more you stay there. And UO also KNOWS that most people will not use all the days available on their pass under their new promotion. But if UO can offer their product at a price that's SO affordable & convenient, people will give it a shot for a day, a day and a half, maybe 2 days, maybe one more quick visit before hitting the road or the airport for home, that will, in the long term, make them more money than charging more per ticket. It's the old maxim of volume, volume, volume.

mickster

And my original point is that the new pricing structure reflects this. Universal could have charged what they have been charging, perhaps even more, and they probably would've made less money, because fewer people would've paid.

Now, to get access to UO and IoA for 5 days is about the price of a park-hopper add-on for WDW, which could potentially bring MORE people into the parks, spending MORE money on souveneirs & meals & overpriced memorable photos. UO KNOWS that someone staying on-site @ Disney is going to spend most, if not all, of their time @ Disney. After all, WDW's ticket structure makes you feel like you're "getting your money's worth" the more you stay there. And UO also KNOWS that most people will not use all the days available on their pass under their new promotion. But if UO can offer their product at a price that's SO affordable & convenient, people will give it a shot for a day, a day and a half, maybe 2 days, maybe one more quick visit before hitting the road or the airport for home, that will, in the long term, make them more money than charging more per ticket. It's the old maxim of volume, volume, volume.

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: Someone who actually GETS IT (and doesn't just PRETEND to get it by making up ridiculous marketing credos and trying to pass them off as real ones)!!! :sohappy: :sohappy:

hokielutz

Someone who actually GETS IT (and doesn't just PRETEND to get it by making up ridiculous marketing credos and trying to pass them off as real ones)!!!

Can we stop with the personal attacks, please?
You've made your point about marketing not being an exact science, but there is no need to continue to harp on what someone said 6+ pages ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom