Desperate desprate disney

mickster

I've never been to the Universal parks and quite honestly have no desire to. I tend to refrain from bashing them because I've never experienced them.

Let me just remind you that this IS however a Disney World web site. The majority of us are very loyal to Disney, and a large number of us are quite possibly completely obsessed with the place. If you don't want to see Universal bashing you may want to find a Universal site to join because you'll find the majority of members here are quite biased. :)

You're welcome to your own opinions on Universal vs. WDW here at wdwmagic.com but don't get all flustered when those opinions meet serious oposition. Just take a second and remember what web site you're at! :p

Back on topic...

Not desperate at all IMO. Very smart ad campaign...had me very excited when I heard about it. Disney doesn't need such incentives to get people into the parks though. I think what YOAMD does more than anything is re-enforce the notion that Disney knows how to take care of it's guests...something I think has been lacking in at least the general publics view of Disney for the past few years.

Being loyal to someone or something does not mean you always have to think they are right. Do you have friends that you consider yourself to be loyal to? If so, wouldn't you tell them if you thought they were doing something that was less than what you knew they were capable of? If not, how good a friend could you really say you were?

My point (and this may be a little off topic too) is that a lot of people on this message board take it way beyond being simply loyal to Disney. They never complain and are never critical of anything Disney does. To me, this is a problem because Disney does listen to the fans. Keep in mind that the majority of the decision makers who actually RUN Disney are not the Imagineers. They are business people who came to Disney from other companies. Disney is not in their blood. If these people know that the fans will accept anything, then what incentive is there for them to try and do better. If it doesn't come from the fans, then guess where it does come from....it comes from the competition.

Personally, I hope Universal continues creating great attractions like the Mummy, Spiderman and Men in Black. That's the only type of thing that is going to keep Disney on it's toes and make them strive to stay on top. The so-called fans certainly aren't going to do it.

DisJosh

Being loyal to someone or something does not mean you always have to think they are right. Do you have friends that you consider yourself to be loyal to? If so, wouldn't you tell them if you thought they were doing something that was less than what you knew they were capable of? If not, how good a friend could you really say you were?

My point (and this may be a little off topic too) is that a lot of people on this message board take it way beyond being simply loyal to Disney. They never complain and are never critical of anything Disney does. To me, this is a problem because Disney does listen to the fans. Keep in mind that the majority of the decision makers who actually RUN Disney are not the Imagineers. They are business people who came to Disney from other companies. Disney is not in their blood. If these people know that the fans will accept anything, then what incentive is there for them to try and do better. If it doesn't come from the fans, then guess where it does come from....it comes from the competition.

Personally, I hope Universal continues creating great attractions like the Mummy. That's the only type of thing that is going to keep Disney on it's toes and make them strive to stay on top. The so-called fans certainly aren't going to do it.

And why are you quoting me? I'm not here for a debate. I was simply telling the OP that he will not always hear what he wants on a WDW message board or any message board for that matter...no matter what the topic is. Like it or not wdwmagic.com is biased. This is the nature of the place and other places like it.

Again, I'm not sure why you quoted ME. I made a statement, an accurate one that doesn't necessarily reflect how I feel...

When I start spewing my own opinions on Universal and other parks and how they're inferior to WDW without ever having visited those places, then you can quote me. :rolleyes:

mickster

And why are you quoting me? I'm not here for a debate. I was simply telling the OP that he will not always hear what he wants on a WDW message board or any message board for that matter...no matter what the topic is. Like it or not wdwmagic.com is biased. This is the nature of the place and other places like it.

Again, I'm not sure why you quoted ME. I made a statement, an accurate one that doesn't necessarily reflect how I feel...

When I start spewing my own opinions on Universal and other parks and how they're inferior to WDW without ever having visited those places, then you can quote me. :rolleyes:

Because your post not only is defending a closed minded viewpoint, but it's also excusing it as simply being loyal. You're also saying that it's to be expected because this is a fansite. It may sound ironic, but someone with a true love of Disney wouldn't automatically support everything that the current management of Disney does all the time. The people who manage Disney now are just that...they are managers. They are not the people who created Disney. They are the people in whom we (Disney fans) are placing our trust that they will protect and honor Disney's values and what Disney is about. If you pay attention to a lot of the things that fans defend on this site, it is often the decisions that Disney management have made, and not really Disney itself. Make sense? If those decisions are ones that might hurt Disney's image, then true fans should protest it, not defend it. I think what we have on this message board are a lot of people who call themselves fans, but they take it so far to the extreme that they don't realize they're no longer really being loyal to what Disney is truly about. Walt is gone and he's never coming back. What we have instead are people who nearly all came from outside companies who are now making decisions. Some of those people, and the decisions they make, are great. But there are some that aren't so great. I don't think we should be defending them, or their decisions, simply because they have "Walt Disney Company" on their business cards. I think we all remember the horrible jobs that Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harris did, and how they both (especially Cynthia Harris) did things that really hurt Disney's image. But when they were still with the company, there were people who were defending them and their decisions right and left. That, to me, is not loyalty toward Disney at all.

CBOMB

Maybe the OP would rather WDW go Astroworld. Farewell Astroworld, we hardly knew you.

Actually Astroworld was around about 35 years. A pretty nice little park, if you liked roller coasters. I hope WDW will take a lesson from Astroworlds decline like so many Six Flag Parks, it was the rift raft that started showing up there. The land was far to valuable to serve as a hang out for a bunch of thugs. It really was a very nice place back in the 70's.

DisJosh

Because your post not only is defending a closed minded viewpoint, but it's also excusing it as simply being loyal. You're also saying that it's to be expected because this is a fansite. It may sound ironic, but someone with a true love of Disney wouldn't automatically support everything that the current management of Disney does all the time. The people who manage Disney now are just that...they are managers. They are not the people who created Disney. They are the people in whom we (Disney fans) are placing our trust that they will protect and honor Disney's values and what Disney is about. If you pay attention to a lot of the things that fans defend on this site, it is often the decisions that Disney management have made, and not really Disney itself. Make sense? If those decisions are ones that might hurt Disney's image, then true fans should protest it, not defend it. I think what we have on this message board are a lot of people who call themselves fans, but they take it so far to the extreme that they don't realize they're no longer really being loyal to what Disney is truly about. Walt is gone and he's never coming back. What we have instead are people who nearly all came from outside companies who are now making decisions. Some of those people, and the decisions they make, are great. But there are some that aren't so great. I don't think we should be defending them, or their decisions, simply because they have "Walt Disney Company" on their business cards. I think we all remember the horrible jobs that Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harris did, and how they both (especially Cynthia Harris) did things that really hurt Disney's image. But when they were still with the company, there were people who were defending them and their decisions right and left. That, to me, is not loyalty toward Disney at all.

I haven't defended or excused anyone or anything. I pointed out a simple fact. Your loyalty rants are completely uncalled for. Save yourself the time of typing another because I'm not reading nor did I read more than the first two lines of the first two.

I didn't come here to argue about blind loyalty or fanboyism. I simply stated the truth and what is to be expected from a fan site. Like it or not plenty of people follow Disney blindly and are quite content with anything Disney does. There are people on both sides of the line, there are those of us with a critical eye and there are even some who care a little too much. That's how it is no matter how long of a rant you type out. I don't know why you insist on directiing them at me...espescially considering that I DON'T CARE.

Glasgow

If you don't want to hear other people's opinions, then why even post on here? Discussion board ... DISCUSSION board. Lets not make it personal, people

mickster

I haven't defended or excused anyone or anything. I pointed out a simple fact. Your loyalty rants are completely uncalled for. Save yourself the time of typing another because I'm not reading nor did I read more than the first two lines of the first two.

I didn't come here to argue about blind loyalty or fanboyism. I simply stated the truth and what is to be expected from a fan site. Like it or not plenty of people follow Disney blindly and are quite content with anything Disney does. There are people on both sides of the line, there are those of us with a critical eye and there are even some who care a little too much. That's how it is no matter how long of a rant you type out. I don't know why you insist on directiing them at me...espescially considering that I DON'T CARE.

You "don't care" so much that you took the time to respond? :hammer:

For starters, there are many other people reading this thread. I may have been responding to your comments, but my response was not meant for your eyes alone. If you choose not to read my entire response, I will still get my point across because others will read it.

Secondly, commenting on my post when you "only read the first two lines" is just as bad as someone commenting negatively about Universal when they haven't even been there. So in your post, you have supported what many on this thread are saying. I'm sure they thank you for that.

Third, you're stating an opinion, not facts. "The earth revolves around the sun." That's a fact. "I've never been to the Universal parks and quite honestly have no desire to." That's an opinion (and a direct quote from you). "You're welcome to your own opinions on Universal vs. WDW here at wdwmagic.com but don't get all flustered when those opinions meet serious oposition." That's also an opinion, not a fact (and another direct quote from you). "Not desperate at all IMO. Very smart ad campaign...had me very excited when I heard about it." Another opinion, and another...you guessed it,...direct quote from you. In fact, when you end a statement with "IMO" how can you say that's a fact when that very acronym stands for "in my opinion". :hammer: Here's one more, just for fun: "I think what YOAMD does more than anything is re-enforce the notion that Disney knows how to take care of it's guests...something I think has been lacking in at least the general publics view of Disney for the past few years." (another of YOUR opinions, not facts).

Tim G

Guys???

Please keep it decent...

Because I know, how "discussions" like this will end...

If not, this thread WILL be closed...

sbkline

Third, you're stating an opinion, not facts. "The earth revolves around the sun." That's a fact. "I've never been to the Universal parks and quite honestly have no desire to." That's an opinion (and a direct quote from you).

Actually, I would consider that particular statement to be a fact, not an opinion. He actually made two statements in that sentence:

1) I have never been to the Universal Parks. Fact.

2) And quite honestly, have no desire to. That is a fact as well. It is a fact that he has no desire to visit the Universal parks. Now, if he had said "Universal sucks", that would be an opinion. But instead, he stated his particular personal preference, which is that he is not interested in visiting the Universal parks. That he doesn't have any interest in visiting, is a fact.

Regardless, I don't get the impression that he is advocating the "fanboy" mentality that I have criticized here. I read his post as stating, on the one hand, that he has no personal interest in visiting Universal, while on the other hand, agreeing with me that it is ridiculous for some people to be so blindly loyal to Disney that they hate Universal for no other reason than the fact that they are "the enemy".

Main Street USA

To be honest i dont think they are desperate but im just sick of universal bashing etc and its been said disney do somthing its called a good bussines plan universal try something they are desperate
I will never understand what is so hard or time consuming about using capital letters and punctuation while typing.

kengels

Any one take a look at this guys profile? Read below for yourself...He is a professional bum and a full time drunk. That says it all right there right?? No, wait it gets better...Disney isn't as desperate as he says, because he's going to Disney on 06/29/07 - 07/14/07.
Date of Birth:
June 13, 1984 Age:
22 Gender:
male Favorite Park:
mgm Favorite Attraction:
haunted masion Favorite Parade:
share a dream come true Favorite Firework Show:
fantasmic Favorite Resort:
all star movies Last Visit to WDW:
easter 2004 Interests:
reading and hanging out. Location:
ireland belfast Biography:
professional bum Occupation:
full time drunk Next Visit to WDW (Arriving):
06/29/2007 Next Visit to WDW (Departure):
07/14/2007 Next Visit to WDW - Location:
Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter

slappy magoo

I know this thread is not really serious but:

I don't see how the world's number one tourist destination could ever be seen as "desperate."

You're just looking at it the wrong way.

Giving away prizes is NOT being desperate IT'S being generous.

Well, you COULD argue that WDW is desperate to destroy the competition. I'm essentially paraphrasing what other have said in the "desperate desperate Universal" thread (which also means I'm paraphrasing myself, how meta of me), but Disney has made a point of creating "experiences" comparable to other attractions at other parks, or in fact whole other parks, to keep people on property. Sure, they had River Country, but when Wet n' Wild started siphoning off people looking for a more thrilling water park, they built TL and then BB. When Universal announced plans to build their first park in Orlando, WDW hauled butt to not only announce a movie-themed park, but to get it opened first (and personally, I think that speed has always hampered The Studios' park, and they've been trying to bring it up to par ever since. I'd even consider Universal more a full-day visit then The Studios, despite my love for ToT and Muppets). The same could be said for Animal Kingdom, vis a vis Busch Gardens in Tampa.

To lure people into staying on site, they offered extra hours in the parks just for resort guests. Church Street used to be Orlando's go-to place for nighttime entertainment. Pleasure Island pretty much decimated it. To keep people from eating off-site, they've started more affordable dining plans. You need rainy day activities? Disney Quest will keep you from looking anywhere else. Movie theater on site. People are going off-site to play miniature golf? Sacrilege! Make a mini golf park! Hell, make TWO!

And while it's far too soon to tell, I really wouldn't be surprised if the new Beltway property will include outlet stores to keep people from going to all the Orlando outlet stores.

And finally, sorry to break it to you, contests are NOT just about being "generous." If they can convince people on-the-fence about visiting that they might win some awesome prizes if they go, it might persuade people to go, especially with that emotional call-to-action that is spending a night in the Castle, something so many people have dreamed about. When Coke has a million-dollar giveaway, it's not because they want to give away a million dollars. It's because they don't want YOU to drink Pepsi. When a car dealer offers free movie passes with a test drive, it's not because they're cineasts. They're really hoping you'll buy the car, and are willing to shell out a few ducats to get you in the car to try it out. Disney's contest is all about influencing a decision to get you to go to the parks. All us Disney nuts are always planning to go, but for a lot of people, it's an occasional treat, maybe a once-in-a-lifetime event. And a big contest might be the incentive people need to go sooner rather than later.

Now, you can argue that Disney is merely giving the customers what they want. But that doesn't mean they're doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. They don't want you to leave. They want all of your money. Just because they're not making decisions out of necessity doesn't mean they aren't, techincally, "Desperate" to quash the competition by providing everything you need on-site. Any local business is a threat to WDW, every dollar you spend elsewhere is a dollar Disney desperately wants. When it comes to competing businesses, if you're not number one, you're desperate to BE number one. But if you ARE number one, you're desperate to STAY number one.

disneynut_la

I too am getting a little tired of the Universal ads bashing Disney...It is not very good marketing mentioning your competition, especially when they are better than you. Somebody got their marketing degree at Walmart:ROFLOL:

Enderikari

I too am getting a little tired of the Universal ads bashing Disney...It is not very good marketing mentioning your competition, especially when they are better than you. Somebody got their marketing degree at Walmart:ROFLOL:

::Brushes off minor degree in Marketing::

Universal is trying to appeal to a market which perceives Disney in a certain way. Attacking Disney for being princessy and childish is a way for them to brand their park as an alternative to Disney. Comparisons to Disney are inevitable, given the market they are in. Instead of futiley trying to seperate themselves in terms of theme parks, instead they are establishing themselves as a theme park very different than Disney. Not worse or better for a general market, but better for certain guests. The ones who no longer believe in fairy tales, or princesses kissing frogs then wearing a glass slipper.
I am a die-hard Disney fanatic, and love just about everything they do... I still get a tear in my eye every time I see Cinderella Castle gleaming at the end of Main Street, and still will wait in line to see Mickey Mouse, even after visiting the parks almost everyday for three years. But, I own a Universal two park annual pass... Its inexpensive and a darn good value. Its not like I am cheating on WDW by going over there... I am entertained and I always appreciate having options.
Universal isn't trying to out-Disney Disney, they wouldn't be able to... But they are a darn good time and a way to kill a good day off in style

Plutoboy

To be honest i dont think they are desperate but im just sick of universal bashing etc and its been said disney do somthing its called a good bussines plan universal try something they are desperate

First off as an Alumnus of Ohio State I am ashamed of the way you are writing your sentences on here....even if you have never been of the campus ....please take that avatar down.

Secondly, I really don't think that anyone on here bashes Universal. There really is no comparison between the two atleast here in Orlando. Disney continually brings new attractions or entertainment to their resort whereas Universal struggles to keep up. I have close friends that are in the upper ranks at Universal and they will be the first to admit that...the owners of Universal are not interested in being in the theme park industry whereas the parks are on of Disney's main anchors.

If anyone does the bashing of Universal it is the local Orlando community and media... there have been some pretty harsh articles written lately about the decaying of the two parks.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Disney continually brings new attractions or entertainment to their resort whereas Universal struggles to keep up. .

New stuff like Turtle Talk, Philarmagic, the ever popular Space and EE.

Where as Universal old stuff like IOA is just so last year, and the Mummy and Shrek just rip off Disney, but with moving seats and extra models.

Discovery Cove
Busch Gardens
Sea World

are they all second rate rip offs too, just with better roler coasters?

US does make itself sound so desperate when it does take a deliberate swipe at Disney, "...less than the cost of a one day ticket a Disney World..." .:shrug:

disney_nutter

Original Poster
First of kengels i never once said i was against disney im actually one of disney biggest supporters but at the same time a massive universal fan, the reason why i posted this thread was just to see how people like having disney scrutinized. A few people here have actually caught the meaning of this post so dont try to make this personal. Its just a thread to get back at the universal bashers and see how they like having it done to disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom