News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Thank you. Do you know if any money has been allocated in the budget under consideration

I'd have to review several bills to determine that.

The appropriation bill is MASSIVE...hundreds of pages. It's going to take a great deal of curiosity on my part to comb through it to find a particular appropriation for either FDOT or DACS.

Last edited:

Figgy1

The appropriation bill is MASSIVE...hundreds of pages. It's going to take a great deal of curiosity on my part to come through it to find a particular appropriation for either FDOT or DACS.
Thank you but you don't have to go out of your way. I was just curious if there was a small sum of money or a rather hefty chunk which could produce hefty disruptions although a very small sum could indicate disruptions as well as everything could be hurry up and wait:banghead:

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thank you but you don't have to go out of your way. I was just curious if there was a small sum of money or a rather hefty chunk which could produce hefty disruptions although a very small sum could indicate disruptions as well as everything could be hurry up and wait:banghead:

Enabling language with the line item appropriation would provide some insight.

Figgy1

Enabling language with the line item appropriation would provide some insight.
Very true! I think you have a point that may be as important as the amount of money. I find it interesting that almost every level/location of government has a different way of allocating money or at least a different verbiage on regulating allocations

LAKid53

Premium Member
Very true! I think you have a point that may be as important as the amount of money. I find it interesting that almost every level/location of government has a different way of allocating money or at least a different verbiage on regulating allocations

Not all line items have enabling language.

MickeyLuv'r

I daresay, most government offices have multiple (myriad) ways of allocating/receiving funds. By that I mean there are a great many overlapping policies directing how funds are allocated, and numerous policies governing how offices are allowed to spend them.

Your average public school- for example- receives funds from a very WIDE range of sources: local, state, federal. And there are myriad rules for how the school can spend those funds. Some is allocated for busing, some for food, some for books. But just the funding for books alone- is complicated in how schools are allowed to spend that money, and exactly what books they are allowed to buy, and when they must spend those funds.

Other areas of government - at every level -are often incredibly complex in how funding is allocated, and how agencies are allowed to spend those funds. The rules spelling out exactly how funds can be spent are often long documents.

This thread has been about state level transportation inspections, state transportation funding is very complex.

note2001

:eek: Taking politics off the table... i know... i know... how dare i...

Inspecting any large volume transit by an outside agency is a GOOD THING. Not everything has to be evil.

scottieRoss

Question for all in the know in this forum. (MKT?)

Can a municipality write "public" bonds and then use them to build or enhance private property?

How about this...Could the city of Anaheim issue "public" bonds then turn around and build buy/build a new parking lot for Disneyland?..or any other company in the city? I strongly suspect it's a big "no"???

I dont know the answer...just asking for those here that do.
Yes they can. And do so very often. Think of most large bond projects. Stadium designed by team and leased to the team for 10 years.
Also think small local bond issues. To change the intersection to make it easier to enter WalMart or the Urban Sprawl Mall. Or even storm water projects to keep Bed Bath and Beyond dry when storms come rolling in.

scottieRoss

No...they are public bonds on the property. The Central Florida Tourism whatever it's new name is...will levi LEINS on the property in WDW if the bonds are called in and not paid. The counties will not pay that. The "property" is the collateral
No the bonds are not secured by anyone's property. They are secured by future ad valorem taxes that the District will receive. And when the bonds are issued, the taxes are increased and separately collected for the bonds and their sinking funds.

JohnD

The Governor signed SB 1604, the bill which revokes the RCID development agreement, among other things, today. Of interest to this thread, the next bill to watch for is HB 1305 which contains the language about monorail inspections. Just keep an eye on the Governor's website for it.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yes they can. And do so very often. Think of most large bond projects. Stadium designed by team and leased to the team for 10 years.
Also think small local bond issues. To change the intersection to make it easier to enter WalMart or the Urban Sprawl Mall. Or even storm water projects to keep Bed Bath and Beyond dry when storms come rolling in.

They do it all the time. And not just at the local level.

Back in the 1990s, the Division of Waste Management issued bonds totalling $225 million to remove failed underground petroleum storage tanks on private property and clean up the contaminated private property. Because it was in the public interest to do so.

JohnD

The appropriation bill is MASSIVE...hundreds of pages. It's going to take a great deal of curiosity on my part to comb through it to find a particular appropriation for either FDOT or DACS.
Unless there is proviso underneath a particular appropriation, you really won't be able to tell. "Budget issues" are embedded in "appropriation categories".

Trauma

So for the lawyers on here how does it work.

Does the bill get signed and then Disney can immediately request an injunction ?

LAKid53

Premium Member
No...they are public bonds on the property. The Central Florida Tourism whatever it's new name is...will levi LEINS on the property in WDW if the bonds are called in and not paid. The counties will not pay that. The "property" is the collateral

Incorrect. Municipal bonds are secured by the taxing authority of the municipality. Which is why the state Division of Bond Finance reviews all issues to insure that taxing authority will not be "stretched thin" by a new bond as it affects the credit rating of the municipality and thus, interest rates on the bond.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Unless there is proviso underneath a particular appropriation, you really won't be able to tell. "Budget issues" are embedded in "appropriation categories".

It's more detailed than that. Whether that line item would break it out into the various categories of inspections the agency is authorized to conduct we'll have to wait and see.

scottieRoss

No offense intended, but this is a tired argument. I will not accept the premise that merely because the inspections came about through retaliation, no good can come of the inspections themselves, provided they are done with professionalism, integrity and without political interference. As I've stated previously with this position, this is not the most likely outcome, given DeSantis' prior actions and statements, but it remains a possibility.

Safety and maintenance are not immaterial to this discussion because this is, in part, a discussion about the impacts of the state inspections on the monorail system. Its prior safety and maintenance record is relevant, despite it not being the reason for the inspections coming about, because there is a possibility that the safety and maintenance of the system will be impacted, ideally positively, by this inspection regime.
Or... You could realize that the Disney inspections are required more often than state safety inspections. In fact, for ride safety, the inspections only happen when the ride mechanics are changed, the ride is moved, or after an accident. There are no periodic inspections. Not sure if the monorail inspections will be more often than what is done by Disney now.

JohnD

So for the lawyers on here how does it work.

Does the bill get signed and then Disney can immediately request an injunction ?

It's an "omnibus" transportation bill. Here is the final section:

Section 30. Except as otherwise expressly provided in this act and except for this section, which shall take effect upon this act becoming a law, this act shall take effect July 1, 2023.​
I did not see any language in the section about monorail inspections regarding that section taking effect upon becoming law which means it takes effect July 1, 2023. Doesn't really matter. The bill, when signed, is law at that point. The inspections just couldn't start any earlier than the beginning of the next fiscal year, July 1.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom