News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

Ayla

I've read a good chunk of this thread, and whole time, I keep thinking...buses.

A good number of times I've visited, WDW has run buses in place of the monorail whenever the monorail is down.

If WDW is somehow kept form running the monorail, wouldn't they just do what they have always done, and run buses instead?
They don't have enough drivers as it is.

Wendy Pleakley

A good number of times I've visited, WDW has run buses in place of the monorail whenever the monorail is down.

If WDW is somehow kept form running the monorail, wouldn't they just do what they have always done, and run buses instead?

They might not be able to run enough buses on short notice, so it would harm Disney.

It would displease guests at the monorail resorts who pay for that benefit, which would result in complaints, requests for compensation, reduced future bookings, etc. which would harm Disney.

Which is of course the ONLY point of this legislation.

Incomudro

You’re absolutely right, we DON’T know what goes on behind the scenes, and maybe we don’t want to know the same way we probably don’t want to see our food being prepared at any restaurant.
ANY park that handles the volume of guests that Disney World does is BOUND to have issues. Overall, I know I feel safer at WDW than I do at ANY Six Flags park…they must be doing something right.
I don't equate food handling issues on the same level as safety issues with moving vehicles.
I'd imagine some people do, but I don't.
In any event, does Disney handle it's own food handling and storage inspections?
I'd imagine it doesn't.

Lilofan

Here are my issues with the monrail inspections:

-it’s clearly part of a pattern of retaliation against disney, regardless of whether inspections may be a good thing or not. this wasn’t prompted by an accident or safety issue that just came up, it’s all about DeSantis and the legislature using the power of the government for retaliation

-the inspections can (and i expect) will be on the up-and-up but that doesn’t stop the governor or the CFTOD or the legislature from using the results of the inspection as some bad faith gotcha. I can totally see DeSantis holding one of his fake press conferences at Reedy Creek HQ waving around a report about how unsafe Disney is or whatever
If monorail state inspections make the monorail non operational , Disney needs to staff the guest relations desk with extra CMs to handle the overload of guests lining up to express feedback.

lazyboy97o

So the solution to a governmental abuse is to just mask over and ignore it? We can all just pretend it isn’t happening?

Authoritarian systems are built on addressing some need. The abuses justified and rationalized because of their potential good and the availability of alternatives.

celluloid

And again, we’re talking years ago…if course I’ve heard about the problems, but you’re making it seem like the parks are falling apart and all guests should increase their life insurance to enter the gates…when I see the accidents occurring present day on a regular basis, then I think there’s reason for concern.

Some of these things happened last week. The oldest things on the list are from 2018 and most recent from around a week, with a lot of 2022 in there with Splash Mountain logs sinking again. You read what you want to read. The park was hardly open in 2020. You make it sound like these events occured a decade ago and under different leadership.

Smiley/OCD

Some of these things happened last week. The oldest things on the list are from 2018 and most recent from around a week, with a lot of 2022 in there with Splash Mountain logs sinking again. You read what you want to read. The park was hardly open in 2020. You make it sound like these events occured a decade ago and under different leadership.
Didn’t you say under Pressler?
Sure, stuff happens everyday…
The apocalypse isn’t here, Space Mountain isn’t going to fall down, yes, some of the Splash logs sprung leaks, yes one of the JC boats took on water and “sank”
I get it, you’re concerned…if you ever come up to NJ/NY, if I were you, I wouldn’t drive through the Lincoln Tunnel or take Amtrak to Penn Station…talk about leaks…

celluloid

Didn’t you say under Pressler?
Sure, stuff happens everyday…
The apocalypse isn’t here, Space Mountain isn’t going to fall down, yes, some of the Splash logs sprung leaks, yes one of the JC boats took on water and “sank”
I get it, you’re concerned…if you ever come up to NJ/NY, if I were you, I wouldn’t drive through the Lincoln Tunnel or take Amtrak to Penn Station…talk about leaks…

I started with that as a comparison to your claim that lack of upkeep has not made things unsafe. Just because no one got seriously hurt, does not mean is safe situations. Those are legit really bad safety things to happen. Everything on the list was from the last five years or less. If you think boat rides sinking to bottoming out where guests are in the attractions water are every day ..geesh.

You are shifting the argument from your original post.

So now you want a false dilemma with New Jersey/NY to the safety theme park operations to justify I should just be grateful the concerns are not to that level? That is setting WDW's standards low.

Last edited:

celluloid

My question: Does the state of Florida have ANY person in its payroll qualified to inspect monorails?

I can't imagine it is the most diffcult thing to hire for or learn compared to other large inspections. They have bright line now so I think a transportation system with trains that have not been much updated in decades on a mostly shuttle and circuit system won't be rocket science.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I can't imagine it is the most diffcult thing to hire for or learn compared to other large inspections. They have bright line now so I think a transportation system with trains that have not been much updated in decades on a mostly shuttle and circuit system won't be rocket science.

Brightline is private, not public.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My question: Does the state of Florida have ANY person in its payroll qualified to inspect monorails?
Im going with the assumption that true rail lines have similar and more complex systems that make dealing with a monorail a subset of the kinds of skills they already have.

seascape

I would like to know when the State inspects the MCO Monorails? Do they do it during the day or during the over night hours. If they work around the airports schedule they will have to do the same for Disney or they are subject to further litigation. Plus is they work around MCO's schedule and don't shut down their system this is another easy case to win and another example of the Florida legislature damaging Disney for using their 1st Amendment Rights.

MAGICFLOP

I would like to know when the State inspects the MCO Monorails? Do they do it during the day or during the over night hours. If they work around the airports schedule they will have to do the same for Disney or they are subject to further litigation. Plus is they work around MCO's schedule and don't shut down their system this is another easy case to win and another example of the Florida legislature damaging Disney for using their 1st Amendment Rights.
I'm sure they must, but the airport monorails have a large walkway between the stations and (between trains) for downtime usage.

I often wondered what would happen (God forbid) there was a fire on a monorail and it stopped between stations.

celluloid

I'm sure they must, but the airport monorails have a large walkway between the stations and (between trains) for downtime usage.

I often wondered what would happen (God forbid) there was a fire on a monorail and it stopped between stations.

Imagine one on a Skyliner Station or cabin.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom