News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

TrainsOfDisney

I'm sure they must, but the airport monorails have a large walkway between the stations and (between trains) for downtime usage.

I often wondered what would happen (God forbid) there was a fire on a monorail and it stopped between stations.
It’s happened in 1985- http://www.bigfloridacountry.com/monorailaccidents.htm
There are no monorails at Orlando International Airport. Just because it’s elevated doesn’t mean it’s a monorail.
While technically true, many people refer to it as a monorail.

Cliff

My question: Does the state of Florida have ANY person in its payroll qualified to inspect monorails?
The train itself?...prolly not. The structural integrity of the concrete might not be hard to do and could possibly be done by general concrete engineers that study buildings or even elevated concrete track like Miami's "people mover" or "Metro Mover".

Yeah...the mechanics of the Monorail inspection might need to refered to Bombardier and outside companies like that.

Trauma

NGL, the new rules are written just vaguely enough that theoretically they could shut down any attraction that's on a track for an inspection, provided that load and unload aren't the same area.
How would that apply to a bus they are not on a track?

Lilofan

I would like to know when the State inspects the MCO Monorails? Do they do it during the day or during the over night hours. If they work around the airports schedule they will have to do the same for Disney or they are subject to further litigation. Plus is they work around MCO's schedule and don't shut down their system this is another easy case to win and another example of the Florida legislature damaging Disney for using their 1st Amendment Rights.
That would be perhaps not probable to shut down monorail during day and most of night for the guests. After clearing TSA checkpoint you get right on the monorail inside the terminal to take you to your gate. After clearing TSA and you get your bag and put back on your shoes , where do you catch the bus if the monorail is down? Not happening.

Sir_Cliff

I can't imagine that last statement isn't true if it was done with an intent to harm the first individual. I mean, wouldn't that mean they could go "If you as an individual speak out against me, I will take your sisters house."
In the spirit of this debate, I feel compelled to respond that I don't agree with the government taking my sister's house, but it was a bit of a mess anyway and this might at least encourage her to clean up her act. So, I'm taking a glass half full approach.

I'm sure she'll land on her feet!

peter11435

Different issues.

- Disney can sue the new board for actions taken against Disney by the new board.

- Disney can sue the state for actions taken against Disney by the state.

- I'm not sure Disney can sue the state for actions taken against RCID by the state.

I think the big sexy First Amendment claim falls into that last bucket.
Except the actions taken against RCID were done with the deliberate and stated intent to hurt Disney.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
That would be perhaps not probable to shut down monorail during day and most of night for the guests. After clearing TSA checkpoint you get right on the monorail inside the terminal to take you to your gate. After clearing TSA and you get your bag and put back on your shoes , where do you catch the bus if the monorail is down? Not happening.
It's not a monorail, it's a tram.

MickeyLuv'r

So the solution to a governmental abuse is to just mask over and ignore it? We can all just pretend it isn’t happening?

Authoritarian systems are built on addressing some need. The abuses justified and rationalized because of their potential good and the availability of alternatives.
Whoa there! That's quite the leap!

Fact: WDW regularly runs buses in place of the monorail.

Figgy1

Maybe @LAKid53 will know but how much is allocated in the budget for these inspections? Would this be a separate line item or lumped in to a certain department?

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Maybe @LAKid53 or @mkt will know but how much is allocated in the budget for these inspections? Would this be a separate line item or lumped in to a certain department?

It would be included in the appropriation for the state agency(s) authorized to conduct said inspections, as a line item - which would mean it can be vetoed by the governor.

The governor has 15 days to sign the appropriation bill once he receives it. That 15 days includes exercising any vetos of line items in the bill. After that the appropriation bill becomes law and will be available, in its entirety, on the Legislature's website. And probably the governor's.

MickeyLuv'r

Sure… but guests will still be upset and the disruption would impact disney in both guest sat and operational costs
WDW runs buses fairly often (in place of teh monorail when the monorail has a problem), to the point that it was a running joke on WDW forums for about 5 years.

WDW also suspends shuttle boats every time there's a thunderstorm or dense fog. In place of shuttle boats people are directed to the bus stops.

Many times I have been offered a bus service in place of the monorail/shuttle boats at WDW. For the most part, guests just shrug and hop on the bus.

Figgy1

It would be included in the appropriation for the state agency(s) authorized to conduct said inspections, as a line item - which would mean it can be vetoed by the governor.

The governor has 15 days to sign the appropriation bill once he receives it. That 15 days includes exercising any vetos of line items in the bill. After that the appropriation bill becomes law and will be available, in its entirety, on the Legislature's website. And probably the governor's.
Thank you. Do you know if any money has been allocated in the budget under consideration

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom